- In California, couple's return to meat sparks vegan uproar Updated: May-06-16 3:40 am
LOS ANGELES - At the Cafe Gratitude restaurant chain in California, waiters serve plates of vegan rice bowls, vegetable pizzas and tempeh sandwiches with names such as "Gracious," ''Warm-Hearted" and "Magical."
- Jewish leader asks Michelin to taste Israeli cuisine Updated: May-03-16 11:28 am
JERUSALEM - The leader of an umbrella organization representing world Jewry has asked the Michelin travel guide company to evaluate Israeli restaurants with its famous rating system, implying that the decision to omit the country may be political.
- Rep. Pingree of Maine in Cuba for trade mission Updated: May-02-16 3:48 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - Democratic U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree is in Cuba where she'll be joined by a group of American organic food producers and advocates.
- Competition heats up among Des Moines specialty grocers Updated: Apr-30-16 4:03 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Three new specialty food stores have opened in the Des Moines area since last fall, joining an already competitive grocery market and a string of established grocers in Iowa that sell ethnic, gourmet and health-conscious food.
- Trapped! Vegan restaurants struggle with humane pest control Updated: Apr-25-16 6:13 pm
MIAMI - Even the wellbeing of rats, roaches and spiders are a concern for animal activists. But they also pose ethical dilemmas for owners of vegan restaurants who need to keep those pests out of their kitchens while trying to abide by no-kill values.
- Passover vacation niche grows to dozens of destinations Updated: Apr-19-16 7:55 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - Most Jews around the world say the traditional "Next year in Jerusalem" at the end of the annual Passover Seder feast. Last year, St. Louis native David Benkof said to himself, "Next year in Disney World."
- Visiting Arthur Avenue in the Bronx means Italian food Updated: Apr-12-16 10:53 am
NEW YORK - A visit to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx means one thing: Italian food.
- UN delivers food aid by air drop to besieged Syrian city Updated: Apr-11-16 7:58 am
ROME - A U.N. agency has used parachutes to air drop food aid to a Syrian city under siege since March 2014.
- Uber to compensate South African drivers over fare cuts Updated: Apr-08-16 11:47 am
JOHANNESBURG - The South African operation of the Uber ride-hailing service says it is reducing fares by 20 percent and will compensate any drivers who lose earnings because of the new policy.