- Express Scripts to cover pricey new cholesterol treatments Updated: Oct-06-15 5:09 pm
The nation's biggest pharmacy benefits manager has decided to cover two new drugs that lower artery-clogging cholesterol but raise concern over prices that can top $14,000 a year.
- Central Ohio to get marijuana facility if Issue 3 passes Updated: Oct-06-15 2:37 pm
CLEVELAND - Officials say a new marijuana advocacy group will build a $24 million research facility in central Ohio and offer medical marijuana insurance if voters pass a constitutional amendment legalizing pot.
- State Sen. Tolleson retires after Alzheimer's diagnosis Updated: Oct-06-15 10:53 am
ATLANTA - Lawmaker Ross Tolleson says he will retire from the state senate after being diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimer's disease.
- China wins long-sought Nobel Prize in one of the sciences Updated: Oct-06-15 5:05 am
BEIJING - For decades, China has yearned for a Nobel Prize in science. Now, a little-known researcher who helped develop a malaria medicine in a secret military project to assist Vietnam in its war against the U.S. has finally won Beijing that honor.
- CC Sabathia to enter alcohol rehab center, miss playoffs Updated: Oct-05-15 7:49 pm
NEW YORK - CC Sabathia walked into manager Joe Girardi's office in Baltimore on Sunday and made a stunning admission: He has an alcohol problem.
- New Mexico to license 12 new medical marijuana producers Updated: Oct-05-15 5:36 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The New Mexico Department of Health says it will issue licenses to a dozen new producers as part of the state's medical marijuana program.
- What's in the defense bill for military and families? Updated: Oct-05-15 3:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Buried in the 1,915-page defense policy bill are significant changes that could affect more than 1 million members of the military and their families.
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt traps parents and kids Updated: Oct-05-15 2:33 pm
WASHINGTON - A college degree practically stamped Andres Aguirre's ticket to the middle class. Yet at age 40, he's still paying the price of admission.
- Spark Therapeutics up after detailing eye treatment study Updated: Oct-05-15 2:01 pm
Shares of Spark Therapeutics soared after the drug developer reported positive, early results from a late-stage study of its potential gene-therapy treatment for a rare, inherited condition that can lead to blindness.
- 3 share Nobel medicine prize for tropical disease drugs Updated: Oct-05-15 1:47 pm
STOCKHOLM - The Nobel prize in medicine went Monday to three scientists hailed as "heroes in the truest sense of the word" for saving millions of lives with the creation of the world's leading malaria-fighting drug and another that has nearly wiped out two devastating tropical diseases.
- The Latest: Discovery on golf course inspired Nobel winner Updated: Oct-05-15 8:47 am
STOCKHOLM - Latest developments in the announcement of the Nobel Prize in Medicine (all times local):
- Mercedes-Benz helps accelerate patients' rehabilitation Updated: Oct-03-15 3:32 pm
NORTHPORT, Alabama - For the last 18 years, a Honda Accord, salvaged from a wreck, has been used inside the DCH Rehabilitation Pavilion to help patients practice getting in and out of a car before they are discharged.
- AP EXPLAINS: Steps to harvesting medical marijuana Updated: Oct-03-15 12:04 pm
ALBION, Illinois - Thousands of legal medical marijuana plants are growing under lights in a warehouse in Albion, a small southeastern Illinois city whose residents are more familiar with corn and soybeans. Ataraxia, which runs the facility, was the state's first cultivation company allowed to start growing plants. It has started harvesting and will be the first to deliver to licensed dispensaries throughout the state by mid-October. The Associated Press was given exclusive access to see the crop.
- AP Exclusive: Legal marijuana stirs hope in Illinois town Updated: Oct-03-15 12:03 pm
ALBION, Illinois - A skunky aroma fills the room in which hundreds of lush marijuana plants grow, some nearly ready for harvest. Grower Ashley Thompson, a former high school agriculture teacher in this rural part of southeastern Illinois, takes the scent of weed home with her.
- Northrop Grumman, students donate prosthetic hands for kids Updated: Oct-03-15 9:05 am
LINTHICUM, Maryland - Yaneidi Agramonte started by putting the fingers together.
- Billings treatment center receives grant for inmate program Updated: Oct-03-15 5:08 am
BILLINGS, Montana - A Billings addiction treatment center has received a multi-year federal grant to help fund treatment and transitional living for recently released inmates.
- Supreme Court to review latest medical marijuana measure Updated: Oct-02-15 8:53 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A measure to legalize medical marijuana is going before the Florida Supreme Court.
- Hospital: Nurse switched medication causing child's death Updated: Oct-02-15 6:11 pm
TWIN FALLS, Idaho - Officials in south-central Idaho say the child who died last month at a local hospital was given an adult dose of a saline solution infused with potassium phosphate.
- FDA expands Merck drug's approval to treat lung cancer Updated: Oct-02-15 4:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health officials on Friday expanded approval of an innovative Merck drug to treat patients with an advanced form of the most common lung cancer.
- Workers prepare for opening of medical marijuana dispensary Updated: Oct-02-15 3:57 pm
BELLMAWR, New Jersey - Workers are weighing and stuffing cannabis in bags as part of the final preparations before southern New Jersey's newest medical marijuana dispensary opens its doors Monday.
- 11 tons of prescription drugs removed in take-back effort Updated: Oct-02-15 3:32 pm
ST. LOUIS - A drug take-back effort in the St. Louis and southern Illinois areas has removed more than 11 tons of unused prescription drugs.
- Vitter's Republican challengers: He lied about our records Updated: Oct-01-15 9:53 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Two Republican contenders to be Louisiana's next governor charged GOP front-runner David Vitter with lying about them Thursday, seeking to capitalize on Vitter's recent slip in the polls as the four major candidates in the race squared off in their first TV debate together.
- Massachusetts Senate OKs bill to address opioid crisis Updated: Oct-01-15 8:51 pm
BOSTON - Prompted by a deadly wave of opioid addiction in the state, the Massachusetts Senate on Thursday unanimously passed a bill that would encourage doctors to consider new approaches for treating pain and would increase screening of public school students for potential substance abuse.
- Hillary Clinton says more substance abuse treatment needed Updated: Oct-01-15 6:15 pm
BOSTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton said Thursday that treatment for drug and alcohol addiction should be on a par with diabetes, cancer, heart disease and other medical conditions.
- Illinois medical marijuana applicants trending female, older Updated: Oct-01-15 5:59 pm
CHICAGO - The patient most commonly seeking a doctor's blessing to use medical marijuana in Illinois is an older woman in Cook County with either severe fibromyalgia or cancer, according to data published Thursday in a report to the Legislature.