- Could insulin pills prevent diabetes? Big study seeks answer Updated: Jul-03-15 2:34 am
CHICAGO - For nearly a century, insulin has been a life-saving diabetes treatment. Now scientists are testing a tantalizing question: What if pills containing the same medicine patients inject every day could also prevent the disease?
- Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis promising for some patients Updated: Jul-02-15 6:55 pm
LONDON - Doctors who gave children with cystic fibrosis a replacement copy of a defective gene say it appeared to slow the expected decline of some patients' lungs, but called the results "modest" and say there must be major improvements before offering the treatment more widely.
- Denver VA hospital curtails some surgeries for maintenance Updated: Jul-02-15 6:54 pm
DENVER - The Denver VA Medical Center says it will delay some surgeries and send others to outside hospitals while maintenance is performed on operating room equipment next week.
- Utah prison puts 3 employees on leave after inmate death Updated: Jul-02-15 6:32 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Three more Utah state prison employees have been put on leave while officials investigate the death of an inmate who went without dialysis for days after providers failed to show up for treatment, the prison said Thursday.
- Slate of new Arizona laws involve ride-hailing, abortions Updated: Jul-02-15 4:58 pm
PHOENIX - A slew of Arizona laws that take affect Friday include new rules for ride-hailing companies like Uber, access to vouchers for all children living on Indian reservations, and a ban on abortion coverage in insurance policies bought through the federal exchange.
- FDA clears drug for leading form of cystic fibrosis Updated: Jul-02-15 4:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health officials have approved a new combination drug for the most common form of cystic fibrosis, the debilitating inherited disease that causes internal mucus buildup, lung infections and early death. But it will come at a steep price - more than $250,000 for a year's treatment.
- Maryland governor out of hospital after 1st round of chemo Updated: Jul-02-15 2:03 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is out of the hospital and back at work after his first round of chemotherapy for an aggressive form of cancer.
- US Sen. Heitkamp to have hip replacement surgery next month Updated: Jul-02-15 11:38 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - U.S. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp is scheduled for hip replacement surgery next month.
- Doctor allegedly prescribed drugs after examining dog X-ray Updated: Jul-02-15 8:49 am
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles County authorities have arrested a doctor they say wrote prescriptions for painkillers and other drugs to an undercover agent who showed him an X-ray of a dog.
- Southwest Florida officials probe slaying of doctor Updated: Jul-02-15 3:05 am
ESTERO, Florida - Authorities are still investigating the slaying of a popular, 46-year-old southwest Florida doctor.
- Patients say Boise chiropractor mistreated them Updated: Jul-01-15 6:36 pm
BOISE, Idaho - A Boise chiropractor whose patients say he mistreated them and prescribed unnecessary treatments is appealing disciplinary action handed down by a state oversight board.
- Wednesday ends long wait for medical marijuana patients Updated: Jul-01-15 4:57 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota's medical marijuana program kicked off in the dead of night Wednesday, as the first three patients filed into a Minneapolis clinic at midnight and emerged with medicine the state's law had long kept out of reach.
- Thousands gather in Portland as Oregon eases into legal weed Updated: Jul-01-15 4:05 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Oregon began easing into an era of legal marijuana Wednesday after an early morning pot celebration at the center of Portland.
- Illinois medical marijuana patients now number 2,600 Updated: Jul-01-15 12:08 pm
CHICAGO - The number of patients approved to use medical marijuana has been climbing, but slowly. Illinois sent about 100 approval letters in June to patients who qualify for the program.
- Indiana's religious freedom bill among host of new laws Updated: Jul-01-15 5:13 am
ATLANTA - Just days after a historic U.S. Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage, Indiana's religious freedom law took effect Wednesday amid an ongoing national debate over gay rights and religious objections.
- Gov. Inslee signs recreational marijuana reform bill Updated: Jun-30-15 9:11 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Washington state's recreational marijuana law has a new tax structure under a measure signed into law Tuesday by Gov. Jay Inslee.
- Gov. Matt Mead creates panel to assess marijuana in Wyoming Updated: Jun-30-15 8:31 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead is creating a council to gauge the effects of marijuana usage in the state ahead of a push for a legalization initiative that could put the issue before voters next year.
- Illinois to take new suggestions for marijuana disease list Updated: Jun-30-15 4:06 am
CHICAGO - Illinois residents who want to add specific diseases to the state's medical marijuana pilot program have another chance to submit their suggestions during July.
- Jindal agrees to medical marijuana, lessened pot penalties Updated: Jun-29-15 6:32 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's penalties for having small amounts of marijuana have been lowered.
- Jamaica anti-doping agency starts collecting blood samples Updated: Jun-29-15 5:16 pm
KINGSTON, Jamaica - Jamaica's anti-doping agency announced Monday that it has started collecting blood samples to test athletes on the Caribbean island that produces the world's dominant sprinters.
- A first: New guidelines back device for treating strokes Updated: Jun-29-15 4:38 pm
Many stroke patients have a new treatment option - if they seek help fast enough to get it. New guidelines endorse using a removable stent to open clogged arteries causing a stroke.
- 5th New Jersey facility can start growing medical marijuana Updated: Jun-29-15 3:11 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A fifth facility has been given permission to start growing medical marijuana in New Jersey.
- Blood-testing company asks court to set procedures for sale Updated: Jun-29-15 1:15 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Blood-testing company Health Diagnostic Laboratory Inc. has asked a bankruptcy court to set procedures for a sale.
- The Latest: British leader says Greek vote is a vote on euro Updated: Jun-29-15 8:04 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest news on Greece's financial woes as it closes its banks and limits money withdrawals (all times local):
- High court ruling offers chance to alter health law debate Updated: Jun-29-15 3:31 am
WASHINGTON - The country finally has an opportunity to change the subject on health care, after the Supreme Court again upheld President Barack Obama's law.