- Elections board to stop enforcing aggregate limit for donors Updated: Aug-30-15 10:40 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's Board of Elections says it won't enforce a campaign finance law that a major Republican donor says he intentionally violated to prod the state into acknowledging it's unconstitutional.
- After 60 years of research, McLaughlin faces new challenge Updated: Aug-29-15 5:05 am
GREAT FALLS, Montana - Since its 1954 inception as a small research laboratory in out-of-the-way Great Falls, Montana, the McLaughlin Research Institute has grown to a highly respected biomedical research center whose scientists' research has been cited as contributing to the work of two Nobel Prize winners for physiology or medicine.
- Secretary of state charged with theft, money laundering Updated: Aug-28-15 7:44 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico's Democratic attorney general on Friday charged Republican Secretary of State Dianna Duran with embezzlement, fraud, money laundering and campaign finance violations, further widening a rift between the two over enforcement of the state's laws governing campaigns.
- Abortion-rights activists to protest Trump fundraiser Updated: Aug-28-15 3:26 pm
NORWOOD, Massachusetts - Abortion-rights activists are planning to protest outside a private fundraiser for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Friday night.
- Democratic Party lags in money before presidential year Updated: Aug-27-15 6:14 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Democratic National Committee barely has more cash than it does IOUs, and it is being outraised month after month by its Republican competitor.
- Judge rejects Libertarian Party's ballot access challenge Updated: Aug-27-15 6:01 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A federal judge on Thursday upheld a New Hampshire law the Libertarian Party argued could prevent its candidates from getting on the ballot.
- Warren, coy on whether to seek re-election, stockpiles cash Updated: Aug-27-15 2:08 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren is stockpiling campaign cash from liberal supporters across the country even though she hasn't committed to a 2018 re-election bid.
- Maryland governor to host fundraiser for Chris Christie Updated: Aug-27-15 2:19 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is scheduled to host a fundraiser for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's presidential bid.
- GOP candidate Jeb Bush holds fundraiser in Salt Lake City Updated: Aug-26-15 12:18 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush was in Salt Lake City on Tuesday for a fundraising luncheon where he spoke about presidential candidate Donald Trump and the GOP's need to appeal to Latino and African American voters.
- Davis keynote speaker at N. Carolina abortion-rights events Updated: Aug-26-15 10:00 am
DURHAM, North Carolina - The Texas state senator whose 2013 floor filibuster against an abortion bill vaulted her to national prominence is in North Carolina raising money for a political group affiliated with Planned Parenthood.
- Perry, Santorum presidential hopes undercut by own donors Updated: Aug-25-15 3:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The two returning Republican presidential candidates have struggled to keep their own donors interested.
- Justice Dept. pushes back against Sen. Menendez's defense Updated: Aug-24-15 11:13 pm
WASHINGTON - The Justice Department pushed back Monday against efforts by Sen. Bob Menendez to dismiss the corruption indictment against him, calling the case the result of an "exhaustive, focused and disciplined" investigation that spanned more than two years.
- President Obama lands in Vegas for energy summit, fundraiser Updated: Aug-24-15 9:23 pm
LAS VEGAS - President Barack Obama is visiting the home of Las Vegas Sun publisher Brian Greenspun for a Democratic party fundraiser following remarks at the National Clean Energy Summit.
- Former Missouri House speaker gives $562K to GOP committee Updated: Aug-24-15 7:46 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Former Republican Missouri House Speaker Steve Tilley has given more than half a million dollars to a GOP political action committee.
- Lawmakers spent $30K of campaign funds on pro sports tickets Updated: Aug-23-15 5:13 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A recent analysis of state campaign finance records show at least seven Tennessee lawmakers collectively spent more than $30,000 in campaign money on tickets to professional sporting events since 2003.
- After Hagan's no, Democrats wait for Burr challengers Updated: Aug-23-15 10:58 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Since Kay Hagan declined in June to run for a return to Washington, North Carolina and national Democrats have been looking for strong candidates to challenge Republican U.S. Sen. Richard Burr in 2016.
- Kentucky GOP OKs caucus; allows Rand Paul to seek 2 offices Updated: Aug-22-15 4:56 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Kentucky Republican Party has agreed to hold a presidential caucus for Rand Paul - but only if he shows them the money.
- Dominion's donations partially subsidized by its customers Updated: Aug-22-15 12:29 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia residents have been billed tens of thousands of dollars to pay for donations the state's most powerful electricity company has made to politically connected charities, according to company records obtained by The Associated Press.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Aug-21-15 12:37 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Aug. 20
- Political watchdog board approves hefty campaign fines Updated: Aug-20-15 7:40 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's political watchdog agency approved large fines Thursday against two state senators and a campaign committee that spent $3.3 million backing Gov. Jerry Brown in 2010.
- Accused activist Terry Bean to host fundraiser Updated: Aug-20-15 4:11 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - A longtime activist accused of having sex with a 15-year-old boy is hosting a fundraiser next month for the Multnomah County Democratic Party.
- Bush family donors gave half of Jeb Bush's presidential cash Updated: Aug-19-15 10:44 am
WASHINGTON - Jeb Bush's fundraising network is two generations in the making, and it shows.
- Report: Ex-Michigan delegation members sit on campaign cash Updated: Aug-19-15 7:32 am
DETROIT - A published report says former members of Michigan's congressional delegation are sitting on more than $3.5 million in surplus campaign cash.
- Tallian ends gubernatorial bid, leaving Gregg lone Democrat Updated: Aug-17-15 6:17 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - State Sen. Karen Tallian ended her campaign for governor Monday, leaving John Gregg the only Democrat remaining in the race.
- Clarification: Ohio US Senate candidates story Updated: Aug-17-15 4:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - In a story Aug. 16, The Associated Press summarized a critic of Ted Strickland as saying the former Ohio governor made his money in lobbying. The story should have made clear that Strickland oversaw the lobbying arm of the Center for American Progress but that he was not himself a lobbyist.