- Tamir Rice's mom at Kent State: Racism is a disease Updated: May-04-16 3:31 pm
KENT, Ohio - Tamir Rice's mother says at this year's commemoration of the 1970 shootings at Kent State University that it doesn't matter what race a person is when fighting for justice.
- The Latest: UN: Bombing of Aleppo among worst of Syrian war Updated: May-04-16 3:08 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Latest on Syria's civil war (all times local):
- Police probe beating of black University of Iowa student Updated: May-04-16 3:02 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A black University of Iowa freshman told police that he was severely beaten by three white men who called him racial slurs, investigators said Wednesday.
- Officials to police: Girl restrained to protect students Updated: May-04-16 2:51 pm
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Missouri - Two white southeast Missouri school officials who are being sued by a black teenager said in a newly released police report that they physically restrained the girl because she was trying to fight another student.
- Georgia student stabbed to death while trying to help women Updated: May-04-16 2:31 pm
ATLANTA - A freshman at Fort Valley State University was stabbed to death after he came to the aid of some female students who were being harassed and groped by a man outside the school cafeteria, a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent said Wednesday.
- The Latest: lawmakers voice concerns after gun bill veto Updated: May-04-16 2:14 pm
ATLANTA - The Latest on Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal's veto of a bill that would have allowed concealed handguns on college and universities (all times local):
- Fired employee kills co-worker, self at Houston-area company Updated: May-04-16 1:57 pm
KATY, Texas - A man dismissed last month from a Houston-area transportation company stormed into the facility and opened fire on Wednesday, fatally shooting a former co-worker and injuring two others before turning the gun on himself, saying his life had been ruined, sheriff's officials said.
- The Latest: Fired Texas gunman said his life had been ruined Updated: May-04-16 1:53 pm
KATY, Texas - The Latest on a fatal shooting at a Texas transportation company (all times local):
- New Orleans sheriff ships out inmates to cut jail violence Updated: May-04-16 1:33 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The sheriff who runs New Orleans' troubled jail says he's transferring hundreds of inmates to other jurisdictions.
- Clay schools closed during ongoing threat investigation Updated: May-04-16 12:18 pm
CLAY, West Virginia - Officials say Clay County schools will be closed for the rest of the week during an ongoing school threat investigation.
- Report: Violence against Jews dropped in 2015 Updated: May-04-16 12:14 pm
JERUSALEM - A Tel Aviv University report has found a drop in violent attacks against Jews last year, but said the number remains high and that "institutional anti-Semitism" is on the rise.
- Teens kidnapped after high school prom fight off attacker Updated: May-04-16 11:55 am
VICTORVILLE, California - Two California teens kidnapped following their high school prom managed to escape after one of them wrested a gun away from their attacker and then pistol-whipped him, authorities said.
- Government reports drop in overall crime in nation's schools Updated: May-04-16 11:50 am
WASHINGTON - The latest government snapshot of school crime paints a picture of safer schools with declines in violent crime, bullying and harassment because of sexual orientation.
- Georgia governor defies party politics with pair of vetoes Updated: May-04-16 11:46 am
ATLANTA - Georgia's Republican governor - breaking ranks with the state's GOP-dominated Legislature - has recently wielded his veto in unexpected ways in this deeply red state.
- Man acquitted in football player slaying awaiting sentencing Updated: May-04-16 11:16 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A 23-year-old man who was acquitted of murder and other charges in the 2013 robbery and killing of Eastern Michigan University wide receiver Demarius Reed is free while awaiting sentencing in an unrelated Detroit shooting.
- FA seeks eye-gouging ban for Dembele of more than 3 games Updated: May-04-16 10:54 am
LONDON - The English Football Association wants Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele banned for more than three matches for an apparent eye-gouge on Chelsea striker Diego Costa.
- Group: 13 Peuhls killed in latest attacks in Mali Updated: May-04-16 10:53 am
BAMAKO, Mali - Pro-government militia killed four members of the Peuhl ethnic group in central Mali and then struck again at the funeral, killing nine more victims, a local community group said Wednesday.
- Police: Man tried to grab officer's gun Updated: May-04-16 5:59 am
NEW YORK - The NYPD says a man is under arrest after trying to grab an officer's gun outside the campus of a Bronx college.
- The Latest: UN Security Council to hold meeting on Aleppo Updated: May-03-16 10:02 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war and the escalating violence in the contested northern city of Aleppo (all times local):
- Court files show bid to tar slain Honduran activist Caceres Updated: May-03-16 8:36 pm
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras - For months before her death, environmental activist Berta Caceres complained of repeated threats warning her to stop leading protests opposing a hydroelectric project on her Lenca people's ancestral lands.
- Wyoming inmate dies in out-of-state prison Updated: May-03-16 6:10 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The Wyoming Department of Corrections says a state inmate has died at a prison in Virginia.
- Giffords calls for courage in stop to promote gun control Updated: May-03-16 3:12 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Former Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords is stopping in Minnesota to continue pushing for stronger gun control measures.
- Judge refuses to toss lawsuit over deadly beating by police Updated: May-03-16 1:01 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge has refused to dismiss a decade-old lawsuit's claims against the city of New Orleans over a 48-year-old handyman's fatal beating by police.
- Ohio man charged with murder in shooting of woman in car Updated: May-03-16 12:50 pm
CINCINNATI - A 21-year-old Ohio man has been charged with murder in the fatal shooting of a college student who was visiting a friend in Cincinnati.
- Christie mourns death of NJIT student killed at frat house Updated: May-03-16 12:40 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie says he was shocked by the shooting death of a New Jersey Institute of Technology student killed during a burglary at a fraternity house near the school.