- 2 killed in police-involved shooting; school put on lockdown Updated: Sep-01-15 10:26 pm
TWINSBURG, Ohio - Two people have been killed and one person wounded in a police-involved shooting in northeast Ohio that forced a nearby college to go into lockdown.
- School shooter texted 'I'm sorry' to family before killings Updated: Sep-01-15 9:34 pm
SEATTLE - Minutes before a Washington state high school freshman fatally shot four friends and then himself, he sent a group text message to his family outlining his funeral wishes and apologizing to the parents of the teenagers he was about to kill.
- Trial begins for officer charged with abusing Indian man Updated: Sep-01-15 7:49 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Attorneys questioned potential jurors Tuesday in the trial of an Alabama police officer charged with using excessive force against an Indian grandfather who was visiting his family near Huntsville.
- Ex-student who sparked campus lockdown won't face charges Updated: Sep-01-15 7:28 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Authorities won't seek criminal charges against a former Mississippi State University student who sparked a campus lockdown last Thursday.
- Classes at California school canceled after gun threats Updated: Sep-01-15 3:30 pm
FRESNO, California - A 15-year-old boy was arrested and classes at a Central California high school were canceled Tuesday after police discovered threats against other students posted on social media, authorities said.
- California Assembly OKs banning concealed weapons at schools Updated: Sep-01-15 3:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Assembly has approved a bill that would ban concealed weapons from schools and universities throughout the state.
- First court date approaches in Freddie Gray case Updated: Sep-01-15 3:27 pm
BALTIMORE - Four months after six Baltimore police officers were charged in the death of Freddie Gray, defense attorneys and prosecutors will appear before a judge who will determine how the case will move forward.
- Recent editorials published in Indiana newspapers Updated: Sep-01-15 2:04 pm
The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette. August 26, 2015
- Man dies, shot in dispute at Texas Southern University lot Updated: Sep-01-15 11:53 am
HOUSTON - Houston police say a man has died after being shot during a disturbance at a Texas Southern University dormitory parking lot.
- Suspended T officer charged with assaulting wife at concert Updated: Sep-01-15 8:56 am
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - A suspended transit police officer named in a civil rights lawsuit for allegedly assaulting a woman at a bus station is now facing charges of assaulting her wife outside a country music concert at Gillette Stadium.
- Police chief says he's sorry former officer not charged Updated: Sep-01-15 7:52 am
BIDDEFORD, Maine - A police chief in Maine says he is sorry the state's attorney general declined to charge a former police officer with sexually abusing a teenager.
- San Diego college ends firearms class after investigation Updated: Sep-01-15 5:40 am
SAN DIEGO - Miramar College in San Diego has ended its firearms classes that they had offered to the general public amid an investigation into an instructor who brought a gun to a meeting.
- The war room, the street: 2 responses to Baltimore violence Updated: Sep-01-15 4:55 am
BALTIMORE - There are only three rules at the Kids Safe Zone: Sign in, clean up after yourself, and read for 15 minutes before playing with the toys stacked around the space, a converted laundromat in West Baltimore.
- Dems introduce bill to allow gun ban at sports, music venues Updated: Sep-01-15 4:05 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Two Democrats are introducing legislation to allow all firearms to be banned at major sports and music venues.
- 6 high school football players sentenced in hazing case Updated: Aug-31-15 8:01 pm
NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey - Six of the seven football players accused of hazing and sexual assaulting four other teammates in a New Jersey high school locker room were placed on probationary terms, prosecutors announced Monday night.
- Shooter's ex-girlfriend seeks to block release of records Updated: Aug-31-15 7:47 pm
EVERETT, Washington - The ex-girlfriend of a teen who fatally shot four classmates is seeking to block the release of some records related to the shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High School.
- Task force issues 50 solutions for curbing domestic violence Updated: Aug-31-15 6:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A task force's recommendations for combating domestic violence in South Carolina include training more 911 operators, improving documentation of the crime scene and increasing the number of shelters statewide.
- UK releases student survey on campus safety Updated: Aug-31-15 5:47 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Seeking inroads in the fight against sexual violence, the University of Kentucky released a campus-wide survey Monday showing nearly 5 percent of its students indicated they were sexually assaulted in the past year and that many were reluctant to report attacks to campus authorities.
- Toymaker sponsors anti-bullying effort in Pawtucket schools Updated: Aug-31-15 11:16 am
PAWTUCKET, Rhode Island - Pawtucket-based toymaker Hasbro is helping the city's school system tackle bullying.
- 3 charged in undercover NYPD gun bust that led to shooting Updated: Aug-31-15 12:50 am
NEW YORK - Three people have been charged in connection with a probe into the sale of illegal firearms that an officer was investigating when he opened fire on an armed suspect and accidentally shot and killed a bystander, authorities said Sunday.
- Gainesville student murders: 25 years later Updated: Aug-30-15 1:00 am
GAINESVILLE, Florida - Twenty-five years ago, the brutal murder of five college students shattered the tranquility of this college town and threw the University of Florida campus into a panic the like of which has not been seen here since.
- On-Air Ambush: TV crew's killing unfolds in real time Updated: Aug-29-15 7:26 pm
The on-air shooting deaths of Virginia TV reporter Alison Parker and cameraman Adam Ward and the suicide five hours later of gunman Vester Flanagan played out in a sort of surreal time, spilling from TV screens within range of the Roanoke station's signal to horrified viewers the world over via social media. Five hours of horror, delivered in electronic bursts.
- Newark holds '24 Hours of Peace' amid surge in violence Updated: Aug-29-15 5:43 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Yoga devotees and hip-hop music fans were among the thousands who flooded several blocks of New Jersey's largest city on Saturday with the hopes of creating a cease-fire against the city's spike in gun violence.
- Parents express concern about activity in park near school Updated: Aug-29-15 1:34 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Parents, kids and neighbors are expressing concern about criminal activity in North Park Blocks as the school year begins for students nearby.
- Daughter of slain store owner finds calling through tragedy Updated: Aug-29-15 12:17 pm
YORK, Pennsylvania - The final violent act of a domestic abuser Alecia Armold never even met devastated her family. But in picking up the pieces, Armold has found what she suspects is her true calling: