- News Guide: Review finds Baylor disregarded sexual assault Updated: May-27-16 2:23 am
DALLAS - After months of silence, Baylor University responded to mounting criticism of its handling of accusations of sexual assaults and other attacks by football players by demoting its president, Ken Starr, and firing its football coach, Art Briles.
- Suspects arrested in death of California student near school Updated: May-27-16 12:04 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Authorities arrested two suspects Thursday in the shooting death of a California student and the wounding of a classmate near their high school.
- Rapper arrested in T.I. concert shooting that killed 1 Updated: May-26-16 9:53 pm
NEW YORK - Police investigating a deadly shooting at a packed hip-hop concert arrested a rap artist Thursday, saying surveillance footage showed him stalking through the venue firing a gun.
- California high court rejects challenge to juvenile sentence Updated: May-26-16 8:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The California Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a challenge to a criminal sentence of 50 years to life for a juvenile convicted of murder who argued that the punishment violated a U.S. Supreme Court decision because it was the equivalent of life without parole and required by law.
- The Latest: Teen girl's kidnapper gets 45-90 years in prison Updated: May-26-16 8:23 pm
LACONIA, New Hampshire - The Latest on a New Hampshire man who kidnapped a teenage girl and repeatedly raped her during nine months of captivity (all times local):
- Man admits kidnapping, raping teenage girl; gets 45-90 years Updated: May-26-16 8:21 pm
LACONIA, New Hampshire - A man who kidnapped a 14-year-old girl when she accepted his offer of a ride home from school because her feet were sore, held her captive for nine months and raped her repeatedly at his trailer acknowledged his crimes on Thursday and apologized. The girl, who was in court to hear his admission, thanked him for eventually letting her go.
- The Latest: 2nd suspect arrested in student's fatal shooting Updated: May-26-16 8:14 pm
NOVATO, California - The Latest in an attack near a California high school that killed a student (all times local):
- Briles' daughter calls Baylor case a 'media witch hunt' Updated: May-26-16 7:33 pm
The daughter of outgoing Baylor football coach Art Briles called the circumstances that led to his ouster a "media witch hunt" and wrote that her father is a "man of incredible character" in a Facebook post.
- The Latest: US says it's aware of Baylor announcement Updated: May-26-16 7:29 pm
WACO, Texas - The Latest on Baylor University's demotion of its president and firing of its football coach amid criticism of the school's handling of sexual assault complaints involving players (all times local):
- Man pleads guilty to charge linked to Kansas student's death Updated: May-26-16 7:25 pm
PITTSBURG, Kansas - A man has pleaded guilty in southeast Kansas to a charge linked to the 2014 shooting death of a 20-year-old Pittsburg State University student.
- Braves outfielder Hector Olivera suspended through Aug. 1 Updated: May-26-16 7:09 pm
ATLANTA - The Atlanta Braves' dismal season took another turn for the worse Thursday when outfielder Hector Olivera was suspended through Aug. 1 for his arrest on domestic violence charges.
- Accomplice of California 'Freeway Killer' slain in prison Updated: May-26-16 7:02 pm
IONE, California - An accomplice of a man convicted decades ago of killing 14 young men and boys then dumping their naked bodies along Southern California freeways has been killed in prison, officials said Thursday.
- Valparaiso woman gets $200K for sexual harassment at Purdue Updated: May-26-16 6:09 pm
VALPARAISO, Indiana - Attorneys for a Valparaiso woman say Purdue University has paid her a $200,000 settlement after she alleged she was sexually harassed by two professors while serving as a graduate student and teaching assistant.
- Greenville parents want metal detectors in schools Updated: May-26-16 2:06 pm
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - Hundreds of people have signed an online petition calling for metal detectors in Greenville County schools.
- Report: Police departments need mental health programs Updated: May-26-16 12:34 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A U.S. Justice Department report prompted by the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre urges police chiefs around the country to put mental health programs in place in to help officers cope with on-the-job trauma, including the aftermath of mass shootings.
- June 'Stand Your Ground' hearing for deputy in man's killing Updated: May-26-16 12:01 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - A June 13 date has been set for a Florida deputy's "Stand Your Ground" defense against a manslaughter charge in his fatal shooting of a black man carrying an air rifle.
- Fort Thompson man pleads not guilty to fed officer assault Updated: May-26-16 6:21 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - A Fort Thompson man has pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court to assaulting a federal officer.
- Not guilty plea in slaying of Mercer basketball player Updated: May-26-16 4:45 am
MACON, Georgia - One of two men accused in the February shooting death of a Mercer University basketball player has pleaded not guilty.
- The Latest: Bill on voting hours heads to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on legislative activity at the Ohio Statehouse as lawmakers seek to wrap up work before their summer break (all times local):
- Authorities: Unruly group instigated violence at Trump rally Updated: May-25-16 8:05 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A day after a riot erupted outside a Donald Trump rally, Albuquerque officials blamed the downtown melee not on impassioned politics but on an unruly group intent on creating chaos in a city that has seen more than its share of violence.
- Bad week in Buffalo: from injuries to apologies Updated: May-25-16 6:33 pm
ORCHARD PARK, New York - Coach Rex Ryan stepped to the podium and immediately proclaimed the Buffalo Bills are "a zillion miles ahead" of where they were last year.
- Many principals receive no training on anti-bullying polices Updated: May-25-16 5:46 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A new survey shows many of Kentucky's school principals have not been trained on a common assignment: how to enforce anti-bullying policies.
- Michigan kidnapping suspect charged in unrelated killing Updated: May-25-16 5:39 pm
MUSKEGON, Michigan - A western Michigan man was charged Wednesday with killing a female jogger in 2014, after authorities investigating him in the recent abduction of a 16-year-old girl say they matched a gun in his van to the fatal shooting.
- Police say pot theft behind slaying of Fort Lewis student Updated: May-25-16 4:48 pm
DURANGO, Colorado - Police say four Arizona men arrested in the fatal shooting of a college student in Durango planned to steal a large amount of marijuana from his house.
- The Latest: Le Havre citizens not worried about lack of fuel Updated: May-25-16 4:30 pm
PARIS - The Latest on France's strikes and protests against the government's labor reforms (all times local):