- $50 oil shouldn't pose major threat to consumers, economy Updated: May-26-16 5:22 pm
NEW YORK - The price of oil topped $50 a barrel this week for the first time since July, delivering a cash infusion to oil producers and a lift to beaten-down energy stocks.
- Assembly votes to raise minimum wage to $15 over 5 years Updated: May-26-16 5:18 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The New Jersey Assembly on Thursday passed legislation that would raise the state's minimum wage to about $15 an hour over the next five years.
- Florida insurers request rate hikes under federal health law Updated: May-25-16 9:15 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Nearly a dozen health insurers are proposing rate increases averaging 13 percent for 2017 Florida plans sold on the exchanges created under President Barack Obama's health care law, according to federal officials, but that won't necessarily mean big consumer price hikes.
- Agents say real estate market isn't as fun as it used to be Updated: May-25-16 11:51 am
NEW YORK - Real estate agents are flummoxed by a housing market that's still trying to recover a decade after its historic collapse.
- Markets Right Now: Stocks move solidly higher on Wall Street Updated: May-24-16 4:09 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on developments in global financial markets (all times local):
- Argentina and Brazil agree to mediate in Venezuela crisis Updated: May-23-16 7:59 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Brazil and Argentina will work together to help find a solution to Venezuela's political crisis, Brazil's acting foreign minister said Monday.
- Bridgestone abandons crisis-wracked Venezuela after 62 years Updated: May-23-16 3:36 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Tire maker Bridgestone is selling its business in Venezuela after six decades in the country, the latest blue chip company to abandon the country as a result of runaway inflation and strict currency controls.
- Eurozone economy displaying mixed signals Updated: May-23-16 11:34 am
LONDON - Mixed economic signals emerged Monday about the state of the eurozone economy.
- Border Patrol investigating fatal wreck in South Texas Updated: May-23-16 2:11 am
LAREDO, Texas - The U.S. Border Patrol is investigating a chase in South Texas involving its agents that a TV station reports left one person dead and 10 injured.
- Energy expert says oil prices won't top $100 a barrel Updated: May-22-16 12:28 pm
Following a stunning decline, oil prices have clawed back near the $50 level this year. Production boomed in the U.S. but is now slumping. Globally, OPEC is in disarray and major producers can't agree on steps to boost prices.
- Schools to get immediate cash from school measure Updated: May-20-16 7:17 pm
PHOENIX - The passage of a measure boosting education funding by tapping Arizona's land trust and using general fund cash means school districts will see an immediate infusion of nearly $300 million next month and slightly more for the coming school year.
- US home sales growth driven mostly by Midwest Updated: May-20-16 10:41 am
WASHINGTON - Midwestern homebuyers helped spark a national increase in real estate sales during April, a sign that demand for housing remains steady despite rising prices and tight inventories.
- Scandal-hit VW agrees to 4.8 percent pay rise for workers Updated: May-20-16 8:05 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Automaker Volkswagen and Germany's industrial union have agreed to increase wages 4.8 percent by next year in an economy where the cost of living is flat - the kind of raises that could help the 19-country eurozone lift inflation from dangerously low levels.
- Retail gas prices across Texas average $2.05 per gallon Updated: May-19-16 11:19 am
COPPELL, Texas - Retail gasoline prices across Texas have jumped 6 cents this week to reach an average $2.05 per gallon.
- IMF announces $5.4B loan over 3 years to Iraq Updated: May-19-16 10:22 am
AMMAN, Jordan - The International Monetary Fund said Thursday that it is lending $5.4 billion over three years to cash-strapped Iraq, which has been hit hard by a sharp drop in oil prices.
- Fed's surprise message: June hike likely if economy improves Updated: May-18-16 5:17 pm
WASHINGTON - Catching many investors off guard, the Federal Reserve made clear Wednesday that an interest rate hike in June is likely if the economy keeps improving.
- Say goodbye to Time Warner Cable: sale leads to name change Updated: May-18-16 4:01 pm
NEW YORK - Time Warner Cable is going away, and that means you might have a new cable company to hate. But you might find one you like better instead.
- IMF official: Iran can't count on big jump in oil revenue Updated: May-17-16 10:55 am
TEHRAN, Iran - A senior International Monetary Fund official says Iran must deal with a shift to lower crude prices and cannot count on a big jump in oil revenue as it looks to boost production and better integrate with the global economy.
- US consumer prices post 0.4 percent April increase Updated: May-17-16 9:19 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer prices jumped in April by the largest amount in more than three years, reflecting a surge in the price of gasoline and other energy products. But outside of volatile food and energy, core inflation posted another modest gain.
- Egypt raises prices of locally made medicines by 20 percent Updated: May-16-16 11:35 am
CAIRO - Egypt's government has allowed for a 20 percent price increase for domestically manufactured medicines.
- US producer prices rise in April for first time in 3 months Updated: May-13-16 8:47 am
WASHINGTON - Prices charged by U.S. manufacturers, farmers and other producers rose for the first time since January, lifted by higher costs for gas, steel and medicines.
- Argentina's capital reports highest inflation in 14 years Updated: May-12-16 6:41 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Inflation in the capital's metropolitan area reached 6.5 percent in April, the biggest monthly price jump since Argentina's worst economic crisis 14 years ago, the Buenos Aires statistics agency reported Thursday.
- EU regulator blocks takeover of UK mobile phone operator O2 Updated: May-11-16 7:31 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union's regulator has blocked the $15 billion takeover of British mobile phone operator O2 by CK Hutchison over concerns the deal would have stifled innovation and led to higher prices for consumers.
- Australian prime minister makes July 2 election official Updated: May-08-16 12:46 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian prime minister says the governor-general has agreed to a July 2 election.
- Australia cuts key interest rate to record low 1.75 percent Updated: May-03-16 2:00 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's central bank on Tuesday cut its benchmark interest rate to a record low 1.75 percent as it responded to a low outlook for inflation.