- Stocks inch higher in quiet trading, but Disney stumbles Updated: Nov-27-15 2:48 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks finished mostly higher Friday as they wrapped up a quiet week of trading.
- Survey shows German consumers losing confidence Updated: Nov-27-15 8:18 am
BERLIN - A closely-watched survey shows German consumers are losing confidence amid growing concerns of an economic slump.
- 3 Chinese brokerages say they are under investigation Updated: Nov-27-15 8:04 am
BEIJING - Three of China's biggest securities firms are under investigation in a fresh aftershock from this summer's market plunge.
- Japan plans extra budget, handouts, to pump up recovery Updated: Nov-27-15 2:25 am
TOKYO - Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has ordered Cabinet ministers to prepare an extra spending package, including cash handouts for the poorest pensioners, seeking to breathe fresh life into Japan's stalling recovery.
- Montana's unemployment insurance rate going down Updated: Nov-26-15 9:56 am
HELENA, Montana - The state's improving economy and low unemployment rate mean most businesses will see a reduction in their unemployment insurance rates next year.
- Signs of steady US economy: Rising pay and solid job market Updated: Nov-25-15 3:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Americans' pay is up, fewer people need unemployment aid, more are buying new homes and business spending is rebounding.
- Deere's profit tops forecasts even as its sales fall sharply Updated: Nov-25-15 3:13 pm
MOLINE, Illinois - Even though sales of its green tractors, bulldozers and other equipment fell sharply, Deere & Co. reported better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings as it cut costs.
- Most Illinois metro jobless rates fall but many lose jobs Updated: Nov-25-15 1:41 pm
CHICAGO - The Illinois Department of Employment Security says unemployment rates dropped in most of the state's metro areas in October.
- More optimism among middle class buoys US consumer sentiment Updated: Nov-25-15 11:30 am
WASHINGTON - Americans were more optimistic about their incomes and personal finances this month, particularly among lower and middle-class households, lifting consumers' outlook.
- Campbell Soup shares soar on strong earnings, outlook Updated: Nov-24-15 4:54 pm
CAMDEN, New Jersey - Shares of Campbell Soup jumped to a 16-year high after the soup, snacks and pasta maker's fiscal first-quarter adjusted profit topped analysts' estimates and the company increased its full-year earnings forecast.
- Shares of Spam maker Hormel soar after strong 4Q earnings Updated: Nov-24-15 3:21 pm
AUSTIN, Minnesota - Shares of Hormel Foods jumped to an all-time high Tuesday after the maker of Spam canned ham and other foods surprised Wall Street with strong results for the fourth quarter and offered a better-than-expected earnings outlook for the year.
- Coffeyville weathers Amazon job losses better than expected Updated: Nov-24-15 2:20 pm
COFFEYVILLE, Kansas - Football fans still pack Veterans Memorial Stadium here on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons in the fall. The Verdigris River still flows sluggishly by.
- US consumer confidence falls hard in November Updated: Nov-24-15 10:55 am
WASHINGTON - Confidence in the economy eroded this month as Americans became more worried about the job market.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Nov-23-15 1:59 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Nov. 19
- Researchers expect Ohio holiday retail growth Updated: Nov-23-15 1:10 pm
CINCINNATI - Lower gas prices along with Ohio's overall economic improvement make for a jolly state holiday retail sales outlook above national projections, according to an annual forecast released Monday.
- GameStop tumbles with quarter, outlook far from being boss Updated: Nov-23-15 11:10 am
GRAPEVINE, Texas - Shares of GameStop slumped 14 percent after the video game retailer's third-quarter revenue and profit numbers were curbed by lower-than-expected sales of new software and hardware, and also some delayed store openings.
- SE Asia creates Economic Community, but challenges remain Updated: Nov-21-15 11:39 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Thirteen years after the idea was mooted, Southeast Asian leaders on Sunday formally created a unified economic community in a region more populous and diverse than the European Union or North America, and with hopes of competing with China and India.
- Louisiana payroll numbers shrink, flashing recession warning Updated: Nov-21-15 9:19 pm
Louisiana's labor market slipped in October, as the unemployment rate rose and payroll employment fell.
- Mississippi unemployment falls below 6 percent in October Updated: Nov-21-15 7:56 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's unemployment rate fell below 6 percent in October for the first time since late 2007, as more people reported finding jobs.
- Deal-seeking investors push retail stocks higher Updated: Nov-20-15 3:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Investors are snatching up shares of retailers as a more complex picture of the U.S. consumer emerges, one in which some brands may emerge as winners this year.
- Idaho unemployment rate drops to 4 percent for October Updated: Nov-20-15 3:03 pm
BOISE, Idaho - State officials say Idaho's unemployment rate dropped two-tenths of a percent to 4 percent in October as construction jobs increased during a month when they normally decline.
- Alabama unemployment rate dips to 5.9 percent Updated: Nov-20-15 2:33 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's unemployment rate dropped slightly last month as state employment expanded to the highest level since the beginning of the recession almost seven years ago, officials said Friday.
- The Latest: US says more cars included in VW diesel cheating Updated: Nov-20-15 1:41 pm
BERLIN - The latest developments in Volkswagen's emissions scandal. All times local:
- Texas unemployment rate up in October to 4.4 percent Updated: Nov-20-15 12:41 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas unemployment rate for October rose to 4.4 percent, the Texas Workforce Commission reported Friday.
- Initial unemployment claims in Louisiana rise Updated: Nov-20-15 12:35 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Nov. 14 increased from the previous week's total.