- US stocks edge higher, led by energy stocks Updated: Jun-02-15 2:45 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks edged higher in early afternoon trading Tuesday as the energy sector gained along with the price of oil.
- US factory orders slump in April; 8th decline in 9 months Updated: Jun-02-15 11:45 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. factory orders tumbled in April, a sign that manufacturers are struggling amid a stronger dollar and cheaper oil.
- Spain PM trumpets drop in numbers of registered unemployed Updated: Jun-02-15 4:37 am
MADRID - Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy is trumpeting news of a big drop in the number of unemployed citizens as a reason for voters to support his party in general elections he must call by the end of the year.
- US consumer spending flat in April as income, savings rise Updated: Jun-01-15 4:05 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumers held back from spending more in April, deciding instead to channel income gains into savings.
- Movie theater chain AMC discloses government investigations Updated: Jun-01-15 12:29 pm
NEW YORK - Movie theater operator AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. disclosed Monday that it received two requests for documents from U.S. agencies relating to an investigation of anticompetitive conduct.
- A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Updated: Jun-01-15 9:04 am
The Detroit News. May 26, 2015
- Missouri jobless benefit cuts could test legislative powers Updated: May-31-15 11:13 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri's governor says they can't do it. So does a former chief justice. Nonetheless, Republican senators are making plans to enact one of the nation's most restrictive unemployment laws later this year.
- Fuel and potential fires for the US economy ahead Updated: May-29-15 5:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The US economy should get better after a sputtering first quarter, but how much better? It's complicated.
- Report: Health insurer Humana considering a sale Updated: May-29-15 4:19 pm
Humana shares soared well beyond all-time high prices Friday afternoon on speculation that the company, one of the nation's biggest health insurers, might be up for sale.
- US consumer sentiment drops in May Updated: May-29-15 12:04 pm
WASHINGTON - A weak U.S. economy pulled down consumer sentiment in May.
- Japan data show spending, factory output muted as yen falls Updated: May-29-15 2:16 am
TOKYO - Japanese data on Friday showed a mixed outlook for the world's third-largest economy while a renewed decline in the value of the yen is adding to uncertainty over whether the recovery is gaining ground.
- GoPro gets real ... virtually real Updated: May-28-15 5:44 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of GoPro jumped to a five-month high Thursday after the company's CEO said the company is getting into the drone and virtual reality business.
- Abercrombie posts bigger loss, but expects sales to improve Updated: May-28-15 5:02 pm
NEW ALBANY, Ohio - Abercrombie & Fitch, which is the midst of overhauling its racy image, said it expects sales to improve in the next year.
- US stocks end modestly lower Updated: May-28-15 4:14 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks are ending modestly lower following a sell-off in the Chinese market and concerns about an approaching deadline for Greece to make a debt payment.
- April jobless rates fall in all Illinois metro areas Updated: May-28-15 1:53 pm
CHICAGO - The Illinois Department of Employment Security says unemployment fell in every metro area in the state in April. It was the 14th consecutive month of decreases across the state's metro regions.
- Slight declines for US stock indexes in early trading Updated: May-28-15 9:43 am
NEW YORK - Stocks are moderately lower in early trading, a day after the Nasdaq composite closed at a record high.
- US jobless aid applications rose last week; total still low Updated: May-28-15 9:07 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans sought unemployment benefits last week, though the overall level remains low and points to a healthy job market.
- After 8 years, RI unemployment rate drops out of 10 worst Updated: May-27-15 3:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island has dropped out of the top 10 states with the worst unemployment rate for the first time in nearly eight years.
- Drilling cutbacks drag down job growth in oil patch Updated: May-27-15 1:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Hammered by cheaper oil, drilling firms have laid off workers and dragged job growth lower in states from Texas to North Dakota.
- North Carolina unemployment rate up to 5.5 percent in April Updated: May-27-15 12:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A continuing stream of sidelined workers who have resumed looking for jobs caused North Carolina's unemployment rate to tick up to 5.5 percent in April.
- US stocks move higher in midday trade, day after a slump Updated: May-27-15 12:12 pm
NEW YORK - The U.S. stock market is moving higher in midday trading, making back some of the ground it lost the day before.
- Mississippi jobless rate dips in April Updated: May-27-15 10:55 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's jobless rate dipped in April to 6.6 percent.
- South Carolina unemployment unchanged in April Updated: May-27-15 10:49 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - There was no change in South Carolina's unemployment rate last month, according to data released Wednesday by state officials.
- Nebraska's April jobless rate of 2.5 pct still lowest in US Updated: May-27-15 10:44 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska's unemployment rate dropped a tenth of a point to 2.5 percent in April, remaining the lowest rate in the nation, according to reports issued Wednesday.
- German consumers remain optimistic for June Updated: May-27-15 6:19 am
BERLIN - A closely-watched survey shows German consumers remain optimistic as their economic expectations and willingness to make purchases have been bolstered by robust domestic demand and low inflation rates.