- Markets Right Now: US stocks sink in midday trading Updated: May-03-16 12:04 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on global financial markets (all times local):
- Pfizer tops Street 1Q forecasts on higher sales, lower taxes Updated: May-03-16 10:04 am
Pfizer easily beat Wall Street expectations as the biggest U.S. drugmaker's first-quarter net income jumped 27 percent due to higher sales, a lower tax bill and some one-time gains. The company raised its 2016 financial forecasts, citing the strong quarter and an improved business outlook.
- Weak Chinese manufacturing survey weighs on markets Updated: May-03-16 8:28 am
LONDON - A weak Chinese manufacturing survey weighed on European markets Tuesday. Australia's stock index was the standout performer after the Australian central bank surprised many in the markets by cutting interest rates.
- Good news, bad news for New Hampshire's low unemployment Updated: May-02-16 5:11 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - There's good news and bad news for New Hampshire's low unemployment rate: It's the second-lowest in the country, but it's creating a problem for some companies that want to hire and can't find the skilled workers they need.
- Q&A: Puerto Rico's debt crisis, what it means for muni bonds Updated: May-02-16 5:11 pm
NEW YORK - Puerto Rico's worsening debt crisis is dimming the economic outlook for the U.S. territory and putting pressure on Congress to help resolve the situation but it is having little effect on the market for municipal bonds and most investors.
- Survey: US manufacturing grew again in April Updated: May-02-16 11:14 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. manufacturing expanded in April for the second straight month, suggesting that factories are adapting to a strong dollar and economic weakness overseas, according to a private survey.
- Midwest economic survey index figure drops after 3 increases Updated: May-02-16 10:21 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - A survey of supply managers in nine Midwestern and Plains states released Monday reflected a slight dip in business conditions in April after rising in the three previous months, but it still points to modest economic growth.
- Wisconsin unemployment payments drop by more than half Updated: May-01-16 10:59 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Business-friendly changes to Wisconsin's unemployment pay system have helped erase a $1.3 billion deficit in the state fund that supports it, but critics say they have also wrongfully deprived out-of-work people of money they needed while looking for new jobs.
- Educated migrants have edge as Germany aims for integration Updated: Apr-30-16 7:14 am
BERLIN - Wafaa Askar arrived in Germany barely a year and a half ago from her Syrian homeland, but she already speaks German fluently and counts more Germans than Syrians as friends. Orhan Sahin arrived from Turkey more than three decades ago, but still feels like a foreigner and speaks in broken German.
- US consumer sentiment slips in April Updated: Apr-29-16 10:42 am
WASHINGTON - American consumers were a bit more downbeat in April.
- US consumer spending inches up in March Updated: Apr-29-16 10:34 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumers boosted their spending by a tiny amount in March as purchases of nondurable goods such as clothing offset a big fall in spending on autos and other long-lasting items.
- Spain predicts 2.5 percent annual growth for next 4 years Updated: Apr-29-16 8:20 am
MADRID - The Spanish economy will grow at an average annual rate of 2.5 percent over the next four years- one of the strongest in the European Union - and will create some 2 million jobs, the country's caretaker government predicted Friday.
- Shares of Amazon jump on 1Q earnings beat Updated: Apr-28-16 4:49 pm
SEATTLE - Shares of Amazon.com Inc. surged Thursday after the e-commerce powerhouse reported better-than-expected first-quarter results fueled by a 28 percent jump in revenue.
- HanesBrands soars on deal to buy Australian underwear seller Updated: Apr-28-16 2:55 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of HanesBrands soared Thursday, a day after the company said it is buying Australian underwear seller Pacific Brands Ltd. for about $800 million.
- Symantec cuts 4Q outlook, CEO leaving Updated: Apr-28-16 2:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Shares of software security firm Symantec fell about 6 percent after the company cut its fourth quarter revenue outlook due to lower sales of traditional security products and an increase in subscription-based security products which result in deferred revenue.
- Japan central bank holds fire on fresh monetary stimulus Updated: Apr-28-16 3:59 am
TOKYO - Japan's central bank stunned financial markets Thursday with a decision not to splash out still more monetary stimulus for the ailing economy - apart from zero-interest loans for an earthquake zone.
- H&R Block shares tumble on lousy tax season Updated: Apr-27-16 2:48 pm
NEW YORK - It was not a very good tax season for H&R Block.
- Boston Scientific swings to 1Q profit, results beat Street Updated: Apr-27-16 1:41 pm
MARLBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Boston Scientific swung to a profit in its first quarter, buoyed by some lower charges. Shares of the company rallied as it boosted its full-year guidance.
- German consumer confidence amid strong domestic demand Updated: Apr-27-16 4:23 am
BERLIN - A closely watched survey shows German consumer confidence is on the rise, indicating there is an expectation Europe's largest economy will regain momentum in the coming months as increased employment, income growth and moderate inflation help domestic demand.
- EBay shares rise as results beat Street 1Q forecasts Updated: Apr-26-16 4:54 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Shares of eBay Inc. rose on Tuesday after the e-commerce company reported better-than-expected quarterly results.
- Jobless benefit cuts weighed by Missouri high court - again Updated: Apr-26-16 2:02 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The Missouri Supreme Court is wrestling with whether to invalidate a law cutting jobless benefits because of the way it was enacted.
- US durable goods orders rebounds, but investment still weak Updated: Apr-26-16 9:02 am
WASHINGTON - Orders to U.S. factories for long-lasting manufactured goods rose in March, but a key category that tracks business investment plans was weak for a second month.
- South Korea's economy grows 2.7 percent, slowest since July Updated: Apr-25-16 10:32 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's economy expanded at its slowest pace in three quarters during the first three months of this year, as exports and domestic demand sagged due to subdued global demand and heavy household debts.
- Consumer confidence falls as Alaska economy struggles Updated: Apr-24-16 3:03 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Consumer confidence has fallen to a five-year low as Alaksa continues to struggle with a weak oil sector, budget cuts and a contentious legislative session.
- City of Oxford provides space for farmers to sell produce Updated: Apr-24-16 10:01 am
OXFORD, Georgia - Some small farm farmers are offering two different ways for Newton County residents to support local agriculture: either by purchasing shares in a farm's seasonal offerings or by subscribing to receive an email which lists the week's offerings and prices.