- China falls again but other Asian stocks, Europe higher Updated: Jul-30-15 5:46 am
BEIJING - Chinese stocks fell again Thursday while other major global markets rose after the U.S. Federal Reserve left interest rates unchanged at a record low.
- US economy likely rebounded to solid growth rate in spring Updated: Jul-30-15 3:04 am
WASHINGTON - After a terrible winter, the economy is improving, with a solid rebound in the spring expected to be followed by stronger growth in the second half of the year.
- Takeaway from Fed meeting: Expect a rate increase this year Updated: Jul-30-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Expectations have grown that sometime this year, the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates from record lows. The only question seems to be when.
- Better economy has smokers buying more Marlboros Updated: Jul-29-15 12:31 pm
NEW YORK - A better economy is helping sell more Marlboros and Camels, even as prices climb. That brought higher profits for their makers in the second quarter.
- Survey: German consumers remain optimistic Updated: Jul-29-15 4:14 am
BERLIN - A closely-watched survey indicates German consumers remain optimistic but are showing signs of worry about the country's economic situation amid uncertainty about Greece's financial future.
- Panera shares jump on report of Q3 sales uptick Updated: Jul-28-15 6:58 pm
ST. LOUIS - Panera Bread Co. shares jumped in extended trading Tuesday after the restaurant chain reported an uptick in sales in recent days.
- SuperValu may spin off Save-A-Lot into separate company Updated: Jul-28-15 3:43 pm
NEW YORK - SuperValu said Tuesday that it may spin off its discount grocer Save-A-Lot into a separate publicly traded company as competition in the industry intensifies.
- US consumer confidence falls to lowest level since September Updated: Jul-28-15 1:19 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer confidence fell this month to the lowest level since September. Consumers are worried about the job market and rattled by events in Greece and China.
- Q&A: What stock market tumble means for China, rest of world Updated: Jul-28-15 7:08 am
BEIJING - China's stock market tumbled this week despite a massive government intervention aimed at halting a slide in prices that began last month. At its peak in early June, the Shanghai Composite Index had risen about 150 percent from late 2014. After dropping 30 percent over several weeks, government support measures calmed the market. But on Monday the sell-off resumed, with the Shanghai index suffering a drop of 8.5 percent, its biggest daily fall since February 2007. Here's what the sell-off means for China's economy and other countries.
- Timeline of Chinese government measures to halt stock slide Updated: Jul-28-15 6:07 am
BEIJING - A timeline of government measures aiming at curbing a slide in share prices after China's main market index peaked June 12 and fell sharply in the following weeks:
- Republic stock plunges on possible flight disruptions Updated: Jul-27-15 5:22 pm
DALLAS - Republic Airways warned that its operation of regional flights for the nation's biggest airlines could be disrupted by a pilot shortage and labor standoff.
- Orders for US durable goods jump 3.4 percent in June Updated: Jul-27-15 11:52 am
WASHINGTON - Orders to U.S. factories for big-ticket manufactured goods posted a sizable gain in June, but the advance was fueled by higher demand for commercial aircraft. Outside of this volatile category, a key category that represents business investment rose by a far more modest amount.
- Bend's housing market too expensive for young people Updated: Jul-26-15 4:19 pm
BEND, Oregon - Melissa Glidewell describes life in Bend as "poverty with a view."
- Scary headlines don't deter investors Updated: Jul-25-15 5:26 pm
NEW YORK - The U.S. economy is growing at a painfully slow pace. Greece still threatens the euro. Chinese stocks have just pulled out of a frightening free-fall. Big companies in the U.S. are struggling to boost profits.
- Amazon's value surpasses Wal-Mart after surprise 2Q profit Updated: Jul-24-15 4:43 pm
NEW YORK - It's official: Amazon is bigger than Wal-Mart.
- Amazon's birthday present: Surprise 2Q profit Updated: Jul-23-15 7:19 pm
NEW YORK - Investors helped Amazon celebrate its 20th birthday, pushing the online retailer's stock up 17 percent in aftermarket trading Thursday after it reported a surprise second-quarter profit.
- Nebraska prison inmates collected $156K in unemployment Updated: Jul-23-15 7:17 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska prison inmates collected more than $156,000 in unemployment benefits because the state Department of Labor was never told who was incarcerated, officials announced Thursday.
- Shares in Janus Capital Group fall as assets slip Updated: Jul-23-15 4:16 pm
DENVER - Janus Capital reported higher second-quarter net income and revenue on Thursday, helped by an increase in fees for managing investments. But the amount of money Janus manages slipped from earlier in the year.
- Under Armour says Curry shoe boosted 2Q results; shares jump Updated: Jul-23-15 12:25 pm
BALTIMORE - Shares of sports apparel maker Under Armour climbed Thursday after the company posted strong second-quarter results, giving an assist to NBA MVP Stephen Curry.
- Southwest Airlines posts record profit in second quarter Updated: Jul-23-15 11:46 am
DALLAS - Southwest Airlines is packing more passengers on planes than last summer and paying sharply lower prices for fuel. That's adding up to more record profits at the nation's fourth-biggest airline.
- Gauge of future health of economy up 0.6 percent in June Updated: Jul-23-15 10:51 am
WASHINGTON - An index designed to predict the future health of the U.S. economy posted another solid increase in June, providing further hope that the economy will gain momentum in the second half of this year.
- Spain's jobless rate drops as government eyes elections Updated: Jul-23-15 6:58 am
MADRID - Statistics released Thursday said Spain's unemployment rate dropped to 22.4 percent in the second quarter, welcome news for the governing Popular Party as it prepares for upcoming general elections
- Metro Atlanta unemployment shows slight increase Updated: Jul-23-15 6:05 am
ATLANTA - Metro Atlanta's jobless rate has edged up in recent weeks.
- Economic upturn seen spreading through Vermont Updated: Jul-22-15 8:56 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont's economic recovery from the Great Recession has been led by Chittenden County, but other parts of the state are now starting to see signs of economic life as well.
- Oklahoma's unemployment rate continues to climb Updated: Jul-21-15 8:46 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma's unemployment rate climbed to 4.5 percent last month, marking the third increase in as many months, the state's Employment Security Commission reported on Tuesday.