- Amid steady growth, warning signs loom for Oregon's economy Updated: Feb-10-16 4:50 pm
SALEM, Oregon - State economists say the upward trend in Oregon's economy and job market has stayed the course, but they warn growth may soon begin tapering as ongoing problems in the stock market, among other issues, could take a big chunk out of tax revenues starting next year.
- Yellen: Persistent economic weakness could slow rate hikes Updated: Feb-10-16 4:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen cautioned Wednesday that global weakness and falling financial markets could depress the U.S. economy's growth and slow the pace of Fed interest rate hikes.
- An early rally in stocks is mostly gone by the closing bell Updated: Feb-10-16 4:12 pm
An early rally on the stock market was mostly gone by the closing bell, leaving indexes with a mixed finish after being up most of the day.
- Akamai shares spike as it reorganizes, buys back stock Updated: Feb-10-16 2:58 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of Akamai Technologies jumped Wednesday, a day after the online services provider said it was reorganizing its business into two divisions and buying back up to $1 billion of its own stock.
- The Latest: European markets close up amid Yellen comments Updated: Feb-10-16 12:21 pm
LONDON - The latest on the turmoil global financial markets (all times local):
- Box office slump hurts Time Warner revenue Updated: Feb-10-16 11:05 am
NEW YORK - Time Warner reported better-than-expected earnings in its fourth quarter, but a shortage of blockbusters at the box office pushed revenue lower.
- Deutsche Bank shares soar after days of losses Updated: Feb-10-16 6:00 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Deutsche Bank shares have rebounded strongly after a news report that the bank may buy back some of its own bonds to strengthen its finances.
- Spirit beats 4Q profit forecasts Updated: Feb-09-16 5:25 pm
MIRAMAR, Florida - Shares of Spirit Airlines Inc. rose Tuesday after the discount carrier reported that its fourth-quarter income jumped 33 percent as cheaper fuel offset lower average fares.
- Companies lose billions buying back their own stock Updated: Feb-09-16 3:04 pm
NEW YORK - If you think your stocks are doing poorly, check out the performance of some of the most sophisticated investors, the ones with more knowledge about what's going on inside businesses than anyone else: Companies that buy their own shares.
- US businesses post more open jobs; quits rise to 9-year high Updated: Feb-09-16 11:18 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. companies advertised more available jobs in December and more Americans quit, trends that could lift wages in the coming months.
- Yelp 4Q sales higher, loss worse than seen as CFO resigns Updated: Feb-08-16 2:15 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Restaurant reviews site Yelp Inc. posted a mixed bag of results Monday with higher revenue but lower profits than expected while saying its chief financial officer will step down.
- Initial unemployment claims in Louisiana rise Updated: Feb-05-16 6:32 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Jan. 30 increased from the previous week's total.
- LinkedIn shares plunge almost 44 percent Updated: Feb-05-16 6:14 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Investors gave LinkedIn a poor job review Friday in the form of a dramatic sell-off that wiped out nearly $11 billion in the professional networking site's market value.
- Many see cause for optimism despite slower US job growth Updated: Feb-05-16 5:12 pm
WASHINGTON - Consider looking past January's so-so job growth.
- Lions Gate shares plunge on earns miss as merger hopes fade Updated: Feb-05-16 3:06 pm
LOS ANGELES - Shares of Hollywood studio Lions Gate plunged Friday after it missed earnings expectations due to the underperformance of the finale of "The Hunger Games" and investors fled as hopes diminished for the company to become an acquisition vehicle.
- Friday's jobs report could ease US recession fears. Or not. Updated: Feb-05-16 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. manufacturing is shrinking, corporate profits are declining and goods are piling up on warehouse shelves. Those trends have elevated concern that a U.S. recession may loom in the next year or two.
- Symantec beats Street 3Q forecasts, gets $500M investment Updated: Feb-04-16 6:22 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Shares of Symantec Corp. rose in extended trading Thursday after the security software developer announced a $500 million investment from Silver Lake and reported better-than-expected quarterly results.
- Ralph Lauren shares down on dim earnings, outlook Updated: Feb-04-16 4:38 pm
NEW YORK - Shares in Ralph Lauren fell more than 22 percent to a multiyear low Thursday after the company cut its outlook for 2016 and reported disappointing earnings it blamed on unseasonably warm holiday weather and a drop in foreign tourist traffic in North America.
- Q&A: Investors using index funds to try to beat the market Updated: Feb-04-16 3:33 pm
NEW YORK - Don't try to beat the market.
- Coty reports drop in profit, but beats expectations Updated: Feb-04-16 3:16 pm
NEW YORK - Coty reported a drop in profit during its fiscal second quarter as costs related to acquisitions piled up. But the makeup and fragrance company's adjusted earnings and revenue beat Wall Street expectations and its shares soared Thursday.
- Applications for US jobless aid rise, but levels still low Updated: Feb-04-16 8:40 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans sought unemployment benefits last week, but applications stayed near historically low levels in a positive sign for the job market.
- Audit: State agency paid $97,000 to fictitious companies Updated: Feb-03-16 5:49 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A state audit has revealed that Iowa Workforce Development paid more than $97,000 in unemployment benefits to people in the state who claimed to work for companies that didn't exist in 2013 and 2014.
- Beigene, Editas Medicine shares rise in market debuts Updated: Feb-03-16 1:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Shares of medical sector companies Beigene Ltd. of China and Editas Medicine Inc. of Massachusetts climbed Wednesday in their market debuts.
- $4.2B in industrial investment recruited in SC in 2015 Updated: Feb-03-16 12:35 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - More than $4.2 billion in business investment was recruited in South Carolina during 2015 - investment expected to create more than 17,000 jobs.
- Survey: US employers added a solid 205K jobs in January Updated: Feb-03-16 9:18 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. businesses added a solid 205,000 jobs last month, lifted by robust gains in services and construction and extending a streak of steady hiring, according to a private survey.