- Stocks gain as European central bank says it's ready to act Updated: Sep-03-15 4:42 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks moved slightly higher Thursday as markets calmed after a recent bout of turmoil. Investors were encouraged by comments from European Central Bank policymakers, who said they were willing to provide more stimulus to the region's economy, if needed.
- Why Friday's US jobs report could affect Americans' finances Updated: Sep-03-15 3:54 pm
WASHINGTON - With the Federal Reserve edging into the spotlight, Friday's jobs report for August could trigger eventual changes in Americans' financial lives.
- European Central Bank ready to give eurozone more stimulus Updated: Sep-03-15 1:00 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - The European Central Bank is ready to give the eurozone economy a bigger dose of stimulus if turmoil in China and weaker global growth hurt its modest recovery, President Mario Draghi said Thursday.
- Victoria's Secret owner L Brands says sales rose in August Updated: Sep-03-15 12:40 pm
NEW YORK - L Brands, the company behind Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body Works and other brands, said Thursday that sales at its stores open a year rose 6 percent in August. The growth was better than Wall Street analysts had expected and shares of L Brands rose Thursday.
- Joy Global 3Q results miss Street, lowers guidance Updated: Sep-03-15 10:38 am
MILWAUKEE - Joy Global's fiscal third-quarter results missed analysts' estimates as falling commodity prices led to project delays and customers holding off on spending. The mining equipment maker cut its full-year outlook further.
- The Latest: ECB's Draghi says inflation target must stand Updated: Sep-03-15 9:22 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - The latest on the European economy as the European Central Bank meets to discuss its monetary policy (all times local):
- Navistar slumps after saying SEC may file lawsuit Updated: Sep-02-15 5:38 pm
Truck and engine maker Navistar said Wednesday that securities regulators may file a lawsuit against the company in a dispute over environmental certification of heavy-duty diesel engines.
- Republic shares tumble after union blocks contract vote Updated: Sep-02-15 11:22 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Shares of regional airline operator Republic Airways tumbled Wednesday after the Teamsters union declined to let pilots vote on the company's latest contract offer, raising the prospect of a bankruptcy filing.
- Survey: US businesses hired at steady pace in August Updated: Sep-02-15 9:28 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. businesses added jobs at a steady pace last month, with construction and manufacturing showing solid gains, a private survey found.
- ConocoPhillips plans to cut 10 percent of its workforce Updated: Sep-01-15 5:53 pm
NEW YORK - Energy company ConocoPhillips, which has already cut 1,000 jobs this year, says it will eliminate around 1,810 more positions following a plunge that took oil prices to their lowest levels in years.
- Correction: Financial Markets-Herd Mentality story Updated: Sep-01-15 5:49 pm
NEW YORK - In a story Aug. 31 about investors selling emerging-market investments, The Associated Press erroneously shortened the name of a fund that tracks commodity producers. The correct full name is the FlexShares Morningstar Global Upstream Natural Resources Index Fund.
- Dollar Tree reports 2Q loss after buying Family Dollar Updated: Sep-01-15 10:29 am
CHESAPEAKE, Virginia - Dollar Tree reported a loss in its fiscal second quarter due to higher costs from buying rival Family Dollar. The discount retailer also posted revenue guidance for the current quarter that was below expectations and Dollar Tree's shares fell in morning trading Tuesday.
- Germany: up to $3.7B needed next year to integrate refugees Updated: Sep-01-15 8:20 am
BERLIN - The German economy has room to accommodate refugees, the labor minister said Tuesday, but the government will need to spend billions of extra euros (dollars) to cover language courses, benefits and their integration into the labor market.
- Labor report: Worker shortage begins as baby boomers retire Updated: Aug-31-15 8:16 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana's low unemployment rate is driving up wages but a serious worker shortage is appearing on the horizon as baby boomers begin to retire, state officials said Monday.
- Correction: The Month Ahead story Updated: Aug-31-15 12:35 pm
In a story Aug. 28, about upcoming events, The Associated Press reported erroneously the dates of business events expected in the first week in September.
- Fed Vice Chair Fischer keeps open possibility of Sept. hike Updated: Aug-29-15 4:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer left the door open Saturday for a Fed rate increase in September, saying the factors that have kept inflation below the central bank's target level have likely begun to fade.
- AP National News Calendar Updated: Aug-28-15 4:47 pm
Eds: Major scheduled events for the week of August 30 - September 5. Note that many events are subject to change at the last minute.
- Survey: Plunging stock prices hit US consumer sentiment Updated: Aug-28-15 11:41 am
WASHINGTON - Plummeting stock prices have taken a toll on U.S. consumer confidence, though there are signs the setback may be temporary.
- Regis shares fall on weak 4th quarter earnings report Updated: Aug-28-15 11:25 am
EDINA, Minnesota - Shares of Regis Corp. dropped 10 percent in morning trading on Friday after the hair salon owner reported a continued decline in quarterly revenue.
- Weekly unemployment insurance claims decrease Updated: Aug-28-15 11:01 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Aug. 22 decreased from the previous week's total.
- Q&A about this week's market turmoil in China and beyond Updated: Aug-28-15 9:04 am
BEIJING - With the Chinese stock market turmoil that incited global panic abated - at least for now - here are some questions and answers about it, as well as lessons to learn:
- Jobless rates rise in 13 of 17 major Michigan labor markets Updated: Aug-28-15 2:20 am
LANSING, Michigan - Seasonally unadjusted unemployment rates have gone up slightly in 13 of Michigan's 17 major labor market areas.
- Patterson Cos. reports 1Q profit of $29.7 million Updated: Aug-27-15 8:50 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Patterson Cos. on Thursday reported fiscal first-quarter profit of $29.7 million.
- Movado rebounds as 2Q results top analyst estimates Updated: Aug-27-15 6:31 pm
PARAMUS, New Jersey - Shares of Movado Group surged 21 percent Thursday after the luxury watchmaker's second-quarter results surpassed Wall Street expectations.
- You can't control much, but you can control investment fees Updated: Aug-27-15 2:13 pm
NEW YORK - Do the stock market's big swings have you feeling helpless?