- Spain PM trumpets drop in numbers of registered unemployed Updated: Jun-02-15 4:37 am
MADRID - Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy is trumpeting news of a big drop in the number of unemployed citizens as a reason for voters to support his party in general elections he must call by the end of the year.
- California Senate approves another minimum wage hike Updated: Jun-01-15 11:18 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Senate on Monday approved a plan to again raise the state's minimum wage, lifting it to $13 an hour in 2017, then tying it to the rate of inflation after that.
- US consumer spending flat in April as income, savings rise Updated: Jun-01-15 4:05 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumers held back from spending more in April, deciding instead to channel income gains into savings.
- Southwest Steel to expand Newport plant, add 100 jobs Updated: Jun-01-15 3:04 pm
NEWPORT, Arkansas - Southwest Steel Processing announced Monday that it plans an $18 million expansion of its plant in Newport and to add 100 jobs at the facility.
- A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Updated: Jun-01-15 9:04 am
The Detroit News. May 26, 2015
- Kansas behind in private-sector job growth Updated: May-31-15 2:50 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A report shows that private-sector job growth in Kansas has lagged behind other states in the region.
- Missouri jobless benefit cuts could test legislative powers Updated: May-31-15 11:13 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri's governor says they can't do it. So does a former chief justice. Nonetheless, Republican senators are making plans to enact one of the nation's most restrictive unemployment laws later this year.
- Fuel and potential fires for the US economy ahead Updated: May-29-15 5:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The US economy should get better after a sputtering first quarter, but how much better? It's complicated.
- Japan data show spending, factory output muted as yen falls Updated: May-29-15 2:16 am
TOKYO - Japanese data on Friday showed a mixed outlook for the world's third-largest economy while a renewed decline in the value of the yen is adding to uncertainty over whether the recovery is gaining ground.
- House committee kills Senate-backed equal pay proposal Updated: May-28-15 6:37 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - For the third time in recent weeks, a House committee voted down a proposal requiring employees to be compensated equally if they do the same work, no matter their gender.
- April jobless rates fall in all Illinois metro areas Updated: May-28-15 1:53 pm
CHICAGO - The Illinois Department of Employment Security says unemployment fell in every metro area in the state in April. It was the 14th consecutive month of decreases across the state's metro regions.
- US jobless aid applications rose last week; total still low Updated: May-28-15 9:07 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans sought unemployment benefits last week, though the overall level remains low and points to a healthy job market.
- After 8 years, RI unemployment rate drops out of 10 worst Updated: May-27-15 3:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island has dropped out of the top 10 states with the worst unemployment rate for the first time in nearly eight years.
- Drilling cutbacks drag down job growth in oil patch Updated: May-27-15 1:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Hammered by cheaper oil, drilling firms have laid off workers and dragged job growth lower in states from Texas to North Dakota.
- North Carolina unemployment rate up to 5.5 percent in April Updated: May-27-15 12:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A continuing stream of sidelined workers who have resumed looking for jobs caused North Carolina's unemployment rate to tick up to 5.5 percent in April.
- Mississippi jobless rate dips in April Updated: May-27-15 10:55 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's jobless rate dipped in April to 6.6 percent.
- South Carolina unemployment unchanged in April Updated: May-27-15 10:49 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - There was no change in South Carolina's unemployment rate last month, according to data released Wednesday by state officials.
- Nebraska's April jobless rate of 2.5 pct still lowest in US Updated: May-27-15 10:44 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska's unemployment rate dropped a tenth of a point to 2.5 percent in April, remaining the lowest rate in the nation, according to reports issued Wednesday.
- Connecticut adds 1,200 jobs in April as jobless rate falls Updated: May-26-15 3:01 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Employers in Connecticut added 1,200 jobs in April, the 10th monthly job gain in the past year, the Department of Labor said Tuesday.
- US new-home sales jump in April Updated: May-26-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans bought new homes in April - evidence that the stronger job market is powering the housing sector.
- Consumer confidence edges up in May on improving job market Updated: May-26-15 10:44 am
WASHINGTON - Consumer confidence rebounded slightly this month as the job market showed signs of improvement.
- New Census numbers show Casper population exceeding 60,000 Updated: May-24-15 1:46 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Casper has exceeded 60,000 in population for the first time in its history thanks largely to active oil drilling in the area, and a state economist says he believes the recent downturn in oil prices won't cause the large population losses that the city and state experienced in past boom-to-bust cycles.
- Women-owned businesses surge in Wyoming Updated: May-24-15 12:56 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Jane Eickbush opened Bouquets Unlimited here in 1982 and has been the boss ever since.
- What will get Europe's economy rolling again? Updated: May-23-15 2:46 pm
SINTRA, Portugal - What's behind Europe's sluggish recovery and high jobless rate? What can central banks and governments do to get things going?
- Alabama unemployment rate increases slightly in April Updated: May-22-15 6:49 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's jobless rate ticked up slightly to 5.8 percent in April after months of steady decline.