- Jordan: Promised trade perks will help employ Syria refugees Updated: Feb-07-16 11:34 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan's planning minister says his country has been promised easier trade terms by the international community, potentially generating large-scale investment and "hundreds of thousands of job opportunities."
- Massachusetts plan could spur hydro imports to New England Updated: Feb-07-16 9:08 am
BOSTON - Tapping into Canadian hydropower is hardly a new concept in energy-starved New England. But Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker's proposal to authorize long-term contracts between utilities and hydropower producers is being viewed in some quarters as a potential game-changer for the region.
- AP FACT CHECK: Clinton, Sanders missteps Updated: Feb-05-16 3:08 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest Democratic debate found Hillary Clinton in a defensive crouch about her Wall Street ties and making iffy claims about that longtime relationship. Rival Bernie Sanders offered a fumbling account of a campaign ad that boasted of endorsements that were bogus.
- US exports fell in 2015 for first time since recession Updated: Feb-05-16 9:30 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. trade deficit rose in December as American exports fell for a third straight month, reflecting the pressures of a stronger dollar and spreading global weakness. Those factors contributed to the first annual drop in U.S. export sales since the Great Recession shrank global trade six years ago.
- Missouri reaches $300 million trade deal with Peru Updated: Feb-04-16 6:48 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri and Peru have agreed to trade $300 million worth of products over the next four years.
- Europe's top economic authorities warn of risks to growth Updated: Feb-04-16 7:14 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Europe's top economic authorities warned Thursday of the dangers to the region from the slowdown in China, weak inflation and heightened geopolitical uncertainties.
- US, 11 other countries sign free-trade deal in New Zealand Updated: Feb-03-16 8:14 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Trade ministers from 12 Pacific Rim countries including the United States gathered Thursday in New Zealand for the ceremonial signing of a free-trade deal they say will significantly boost trade.
- Trade ministers sign pact focused on Asia-Pacific region Updated: Feb-03-16 7:09 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is applauding the signing of an ambitious free trade agreement among 12 countries that he says would support jobs in the United States.
- Californians want rum-crazy Cuba to start drinking wine Updated: Feb-03-16 9:39 am
HAVANA - The 3.5 million tourists who flooded Cuba last year downed oceans of mojitos, lakes of daiquiris and rivers of thin, sour beer. Only an odd few accompanied their ropa vieja and croquetas with wine - mostly overpriced, low- to mid-grade vintages from Chile, Argentina and Spain.
- High hopes, wide gulf as Obama, GOP look for common ground Updated: Feb-02-16 6:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Can President Barack Obama and Republicans put aside years of ill will to secure a few big breakthroughs in Obama's final year? Don't get your hopes up.
- Missouri official signs $750M export agreement with Colombia Updated: Feb-02-16 4:01 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri's economic development director has signed a $750 million export agreement with the country of Colombia.
- Mexico remittances nearly $24.8B in 2015, topping oil income Updated: Feb-02-16 3:52 pm
MEXICO CITY - The central bank reported Tuesday that money sent home by Mexicans overseas hit nearly $24.8 billion last year, overtaking oil revenues for the first time as a source of foreign income.
- US to rework arms control rule on exporting hacker tools Updated: Feb-02-16 2:19 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. government is rewriting a proposal under arms control rules from 20 years ago to make it simpler to export tools related to hacking and surveillance software since they are also used to secure computer networks.
- McAuliffe to speak at next month's agricultural trade event Updated: Feb-02-16 2:15 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe will announce final figures for agricultural and forestry exports from Virginia last year at a conference next month.
- Arkansas governor reports more than $73K in trips accepted Updated: Feb-01-16 7:28 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson and his wife accepted more than $73,000 in trips last year, with a nonprofit foundation and the state Republican Party picking up the tab for his three overseas trade missions, he reported in documents filed Monday.
- Tennessee GOP Rep. Fincher to retire Updated: Feb-01-16 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Tennessee GOP Rep. Stephen Fincher announced Monday that he will retire from Congress at the end of his term.
- Lumber Liquidators to pay more than $13M for illegal imports Updated: Feb-01-16 4:21 pm
NEW YORK - Lumber Liquidators will pay more than $13 million for illegally importing hardwood flooring, after the company pleaded guilty to environmental crimes last year.
- Thai authorities say fishing industry crackdown intensified Updated: Feb-01-16 2:33 pm
BANGKOK - Thailand, which faces possible trade sanctions over abuses in its seafood industry, says it has accelerated its fight against human trafficking and unregulated fishing.
- Bacardi protests renewal of Cuba's rum trademark in the US Updated: Feb-01-16 12:47 pm
CORAL GABLES, Florida - Bacardi wants to know more about a recent U.S. government decision allowing Cuba to sell its Havana Club rum in America when the U.S. trade embargo ends.
- US manufacturing weakens in line with China factory slowdown Updated: Feb-01-16 11:42 am
WASHINGTON - Factory activity in the world's two biggest economies - the United States and China - slowed in January, a discouraging trend for the global economy.
- Car-making deals, protests greet Iranian president in Paris Updated: Jan-28-16 3:09 pm
PARIS - France's government welcomed Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Thursday with promises of a new beginning in an old relationship, starting with investments to boost Iran's flagging economy that has been crippled by decades of sanctions.
- The Latest: France, Iran sign trade deals Updated: Jan-28-16 1:46 pm
PARIS - The Latest on Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Europe (all times local):
- Florida Democrats have clear choice in race to replace Rubio Updated: Jan-28-16 11:28 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida Democrats must decide whether their best shot at winning the Senate seat now held by Marco Rubio is a liberal firebrand who has said the GOP health plan was to hope people die quickly, or a moderate Democrat who often votes with Republicans.
- Private business hopes for bigger role in Vietnam economy Updated: Jan-28-16 12:53 am
BAT TRANG, Vietnam - After a decade of uneven progress, foreign and local businesses hope the reshuffled leadership of Vietnam's ruling Communist Party will double down on modernizing an economy dominated by state companies.
- Lawyer criticizes US for nixing charges as part of Iran swap Updated: Jan-27-16 9:51 pm