- Tanzania: Wildlife activists praise arrest of Chinese woman Updated: Oct-09-15 11:14 am
DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania - Wildlife activists are applauding the arrest by Tanzanian authorities of a Chinese woman for alleged ivory smuggling but caution that it's a small step toward stemming the "slaughter of industrial proportions" of elephants
- Texans accused of meth-trafficking face stiff penalties Updated: Oct-09-15 10:48 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - Two Texas men face trial on a drug-trafficking charge that carries the stiffest of federal penalties for the distribution of pure meth.
- Maryland jail corrections officer pleads guilty to smuggling Updated: Oct-09-15 3:50 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - The third of four county corrections officers indicted in a contraband smuggling operation at an Annapolis jail has pleaded guilty.
- Advanced training for Ohio officers includes use of force Updated: Oct-09-15 3:05 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio police officers must take advanced training courses on topics that include constitutional use of force to meet new requirements and get reimbursed by the state for the training hours.
- Los Angeles man pleads not guilty to fish bladder smuggling Updated: Oct-08-15 9:25 pm
SAN DIEGO - A Los Angeles man has pleaded not guilty to smuggling swim bladders from an endangered Mexican fish into the United States.
- Iowa prisons considering upgrades to catch smugglers Updated: Oct-08-15 8:39 am
ANAMOSA, Iowa - Iowa prison officials are considering upgrades in an effort to catch employees who might illegally smuggle contraband into prisons.
- New center to focus on arts, nature, faith and justice Updated: Oct-07-15 8:17 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A center for nature, arts and faith is opening on 80 acres of woodlands in New Canaan, providing visitors with a bucolic setting to explore and housing a program committed to fighting human trafficking.
- Filipino national admits to smuggling $200K in firearms Updated: Oct-07-15 3:53 pm
CAMDEN, New Jersey - A Filipino national has admitted to running an operation that smuggled more than $200,000 worth of firearm parts out of the United States.
- Macon 'Dirty Bird' rapper facing drug trafficking charges Updated: Oct-07-15 8:23 am
MACON, Georgia - Rapper Sonny Spoon has been named as one of the higher-ups arrested in what authorities say was a large-scale drug organization based in Macon.
- AP Investigation: 5 key findings on nuclear smuggling Updated: Oct-07-15 1:16 am
CHISINAU, Moldova - An Associated Press investigation reveals that a remote corner of eastern Europe has become a thriving marketplace for nuclear material aimed at extremists in the Middle East. Here are five key findings:
- Troopers: Men driving in Nevada had 200 pounds marijuana Updated: Oct-06-15 12:59 pm
ELKO, Nevada - Nevada Highway Patrol troopers have arrested two out-of-state men they say had more than 200 pounds of marijuana in their vehicle.
- 17 smugglers arrested in Arizona; 490 pounds of pot seized Updated: Oct-06-15 6:11 am
YUMA, Arizona - Border Patrol agents in southwestern Arizona have arrested 17 suspected drug smugglers, 15 people posing as legal U.S. residents and seized nearly 500 pounds of marijuana.
- Topeka man gets 20 years in prison in drug trafficking ring Updated: Oct-06-15 4:12 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A 29-year-old Topeka man accused of supplying crack cocaine to drug traffickers in Junction City and Manhattan, Kansas, has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
- West Virginia man admits role in heroin trafficking case Updated: Oct-06-15 3:15 am
WHEELING, West Virginia - A West Virginia man has admitted his role in a heroin trafficking operation.
- Man gets life in prison for 2nd drug trafficking conviction Updated: Oct-03-15 1:10 pm
SUMMERVILLE, South Carolina - A Summerville man has been sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of trafficking drugs for a second time.
- Colombian military kills warlord of rural cocaine fiefdom Updated: Oct-02-15 8:53 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - A years-long manhunt for a ruthless cocaine warlord who ruled a remote rural fiefdom with an armed band and generous bribes has ended with a military raid that killed the man considered Colombia's second most-wanted criminal.
- Man accused of trying to smuggle drugs at Rikers Island Updated: Oct-02-15 5:03 pm
NEW YORK - A New York private investigator has been arrested after authorities say he tried to smuggle synthetic marijuana into a jail on Rikers Island.
- Ohio police detective accused of drug trafficking, extortion Updated: Oct-02-15 7:07 am
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio - The FBI says it has arrested an Ohio police detective accused of drug trafficking and extortion.
- Smugglers kill Egyptian policeman near border with Israel Updated: Oct-02-15 5:55 am
CAIRO - Smugglers killed an Egyptian policeman in northern Sinai near the border with Israel as he foiled a cross-border smuggling attempt, Egypt's Interior Ministry said Friday.
- Police: Bangor woman operated meth lab out of hotel room Updated: Oct-02-15 4:09 am
BREWER, Maine - Police say a Bangor woman was operating a meth lab out of her hotel room.
- Brooklyn man faces up to 30 years for Maine drug trafficking Updated: Oct-02-15 3:35 am
PORTLAND, Maine - A federal judge has found a New York man guilty of heroin and cocaine trafficking in Maine after a two-day bench trial.
- 2 convicted in border agent's death; 2 remain fugitives Updated: Oct-02-15 3:16 am
TUCSON, Arizona - Two more men have been convicted in the murder of a Border Patrol agent, whose death brought to light the bungled federal gun-tracking operation known as Fast and Furious.
- Lawrence man sentenced to 15 years in prison in drug scheme Updated: Oct-01-15 6:56 am
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - One of two northeast Kansas twin brothers has been sentenced to 15 years in federal prison for his role in a multistate marijuana-trafficking operation.
- Mexico extradites top capos, others from max security jail Updated: Sep-30-15 8:20 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico extradited 13 people to the United States on Wednesday, including two top drug lords and several suspects in two high-profile 2011 crimes involving Americans - an attack on immigration agents in San Luis Potosi and the killing of consulate workers in Ciudad Juarez.
- Nevada prison caseworker held on federal drug charges Updated: Sep-30-15 7:13 pm
LAS VEGAS - A former caseworker at Nevada's maximum-security prison in Ely was in federal custody and out of a job on Wednesday following her arrest on drug conspiracy and distribution charges and her admission that she smuggled methamphetamine into prison, officials said.