- Venezuelans to rally in support of closing Colombian border Updated: Aug-28-15 12:07 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - Colombia and Venezuela recalled their ambassadors for consultations amid an increasingly bitter border dispute, while government supporters in Caracas prepared to rally Friday in support of a controversial crackdown on migrants, smugglers and paramilitary groups.
- Officers stop 16 firearms from being smuggled into Mexico Updated: Aug-27-15 7:19 pm
NOGALES, Arizona - Federal authorities have arrested a Phoenix-area woman accused of trying to smuggle over a dozen firearms from Arizona into Mexico.
- California man gets prison term for heroin trafficking Updated: Aug-27-15 6:35 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A California man has been sentenced to more than two years in federal prison for heroin trafficking in New Mexico.
- Judge gives 18 years to head of Georgia-to-New York gun ring Updated: Aug-27-15 6:31 pm
NEW YORK - The leader of an illegal Georgia-to-New York gun ring, who in seven months sold 151 weapons to an undercover officer on a Brooklyn street corner, was sentenced Thursday to 18 years in state prison.
- US senator: Cultural change needed to stop human trafficking Updated: Aug-27-15 2:50 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - While laws are changing to reflect the reality that child prostitutes are victims, cultural attitudes also need to change, U.S. Sen. Rob Portman said Thursday after hearing from experts and a survivor of child trafficking.
- European police break up Nigerian gang trafficking cocaine Updated: Aug-27-15 5:29 am
PRAGUE - European police say 10 people have been arrested and cocaine seized across the continent in an international operation against a Nigerian drug trafficking gang.
- Tulsa police seize 22 pounds of meth in traffic stop Updated: Aug-27-15 3:58 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - Tulsa authorities have seized 22 pounds of methamphetamine during a traffic stop.
- Suit filed over smuggling boat capsize death off California Updated: Aug-26-15 5:06 pm
SAN DIEGO - The parents of a Mexican woman who died when a smuggling boat capsized off the Southern California coast are suing U.S. government agents they claim rammed the vessel.
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: Aug-26-15 4:24 pm
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers:
- Cops: Vermont man trafficked drugs out of mobile home Updated: Aug-26-15 2:20 pm
BRANDON, Vermont - A drug bust in western Vermont has led police to charge a 40-year-old man with selling drugs out of his mobile home while living with his mother and a juvenile.
- Clovis man convicted in re-trial of trafficking meth Updated: Aug-26-15 1:22 pm
CLOVIS, New Mexico - A Clovis man has been found guilty of drug-related charges after years of court proceeding delays going back to 2012, including a mistrial.
- Missouri couple accused of multistate sex trafficking Updated: Aug-26-15 11:04 am
EAST ST. LOUIS, Illinois - A Missouri couple is accused of orchestrating a cross-country prostitution ring involving at least five girls.
- Jury convicts Augusta man on drug trafficking charges Updated: Aug-26-15 8:47 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - A Maine man who was arrested last year following a drug raid has been convicted of trafficking in heroin, crack cocaine and marijuana.
- W.Va. man sentenced to 15 months for heroin trafficking Updated: Aug-26-15 3:47 am
WHEELING, West Virginia - A 20-year-old New Cumberland man has been sentenced to 15 months in prison for heroin trafficking.
- Los Angeles looks at harsher penalties for child sex buyers Updated: Aug-25-15 5:32 pm
LOS ANGELES - Officials in Los Angeles County are adopting a get-tough tactic to deter men from soliciting sex from girls who are forced into prostitution - charging them with crimes that could mean prison time and registration as a sex offender.
- Illinois man denies cancer drug smuggling conspiracy charge Updated: Aug-25-15 4:43 pm
HELENA, Montana - An Illinois man pleaded not guilty Tuesday to conspiring with an online Canadian pharmacy to smuggle mislabeled, unapproved and, in two cases, counterfeit prescription drugs into the U.S. to sell to doctors.
- Las Cruces man gets 5 years in heroin trafficking case Updated: Aug-25-15 4:28 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - A 20-year-old Las Cruces man has been sentenced to five years in federal prison for his rule in a heroin trafficking organization that sold the drug in Dona Ana County after importing them from Juarez, Mexico.
- Michigan man gets 17 years in prison for heroin trafficking Updated: Aug-25-15 2:42 pm
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to 17 years in prison and 10 years of supervised release for serving as the ringleader of a drug trafficking organization centered in Benton Harbor.
- Arizona teacher arrested on suspicion of trafficking drugs Updated: Aug-25-15 12:14 pm
EL RENO, Oklahoma - Oklahoma deputies have an Arizona teacher in custody on suspicion of trafficking heroin and cocaine as a summer job.
- Ex-mobster charged with trying to smuggle drugs into prison Updated: Aug-25-15 10:23 am
ALBION, New York - A former Mafia bodyguard who served time for hiring a hit man to kill a Rochester union official 34 years ago has been charged with trying to smuggle drugs into a New York state prison.
- Cambodian police seize 1.5 tons of pot, largest in 15 years Updated: Aug-25-15 9:55 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - Cambodian police said Tuesday they confiscated nearly 1.5 tons of marijuana in what they described as their biggest seizure of the drug since they started cracking down on it 15 years ago.
- Idaho man sentenced for sex trafficking in North Dakota Updated: Aug-25-15 8:10 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - An Idaho man who once won a battle against the federal government in the U.S. Supreme Court is now going to federal prison for sex trafficking in North Dakota.
- Man to be sentenced in drug trafficking case Updated: Aug-24-15 4:04 pm
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A Texas man will be sentenced Sept. 9 on a charge of interstate travel in aid of racketeering.
- Malaysia finds 24 more bodies of human trafficking victims Updated: Aug-23-15 4:37 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian police said Sunday that they have found 24 more bodies of suspected human trafficking victims in jungles bordering Thailand.
- W.Va. woman pleads guilty to heroin-related charge Updated: Aug-22-15 10:47 am
MARTINSBURG, West Virginia - A West Virginia woman has pleaded guilty to a heroin trafficking charge.