- Reborn Maine milling city offers lessons amid refugee crisis Updated: Feb-08-16 1:26 am
LEWISTON, Maine - The arrival of thousands of Somali refugees in this former mill city in the nation's whitest state sparked a backlash at first, complete with a rally of white supremacists and a pig's head rolled into the local mosque.
- FIFA candidates Prince Ali, Infantino claim votes in Africa Updated: Feb-06-16 5:35 pm
GENEVA - Two FIFA voters have defied African soccer leaders by endorsing rival candidates in the presidential election for Sepp Blatter's successor.
- Jozy Altidore scores on late header, US beats Canada 1-0 Updated: Feb-06-16 1:47 am
CARSON, California - With only minutes to spare, Jozy Altidore made sure the United States left its year-opening training camp with an encouraging result.
- DFB takes legal action against Beckenbauer, FIFA, others Updated: Feb-05-16 5:31 pm
BERLIN - The German football federation opened legal proceedings against Franz Beckenbauer, former members, and FIFA in a bid to limit potential damages arising from the 2006 World Cup corruption affair.
- Brazil, Shakhtar player Fred's doping ban extended worldwide Updated: Feb-05-16 9:03 am
ZURICH - FIFA has extended Brazil midfielder Fred's doping ban worldwide, ruling him out of four months of matches for Shakhtar Donetsk.
- 17-year-old American Christian Pulisic gets Bundesliga debut Updated: Feb-05-16 2:54 am
BERLIN - Christian Pulisic made a big impression in less than half an hour.
- Real Betis signs former Brazil striker Leandro Damiao Updated: Feb-04-16 9:44 pm
MADRID - Spanish club Real Betis has signed former Brazil striker Leandro Damiao until the end of the season.
- After disclosing player information, USSF moves to seal suit Updated: Feb-04-16 9:01 pm
The U.S. Soccer Federation's original lawsuit against the union for its champion women's national team has been sealed after the governing body realized it had disclosed the home addresses and email accounts of many players.
- Belgium remains 1st FIFA rankings; US stays in 32nd Updated: Feb-04-16 4:09 pm
ZURICH - Belgium has kept the No. 1 spot in the FIFA rankings among an unchanged top 18 for February.
- Uruguay has 'no qualms" playing at center of Zika outbreak Updated: Feb-04-16 1:58 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Uruguay will go ahead with a World Cup qualifier scheduled next month in Recife, the Brazilian city at the center of an outbreak of the Zika virus.
- American midfielder Stuart Holden retires from soccer at 30 Updated: Feb-03-16 5:06 pm
CHICAGO - American midfielder Stuart Holden is retiring from soccer, unable to recover from knee injuries that have sidelined him for most of the past four years.
- Dutch midfielder Nigel de Jong acquired by LA Galaxy Updated: Feb-03-16 3:22 pm
CARSON, California - The LA Galaxy acquired Dutch midfielder Nigel de Jong on Wednesday, completing their third high-profile international move of the winter with the signing of the two-time World Cup veteran on a free transfer.
- Gao Hongbo returns as China national football team coach Updated: Feb-03-16 4:01 am
BEIJING - Gao Hongbo returned Wednesday as interim coach of the Chinese men's national football team following the departure of Frenchman Alain Perrin last month.
- Jackson Martinez to join Chinese side Guangzhou Evergrande Updated: Feb-03-16 1:04 am
BEIJING - Guangzhou Evergrande of the Chinese Super League said Wednesday it has signed Atletico Madrid striker Jackson Martinez for a new record sum in the Asian transfer market.
- Ex-FIFA vice president released on bond in corruption case Updated: Feb-02-16 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - A former vice president for world soccer's governing body has been released from U.S. custody in New York and will be subject to house arrest as he awaits trial on bribery and other charges related to a sprawling corruption case.
- US-Colombia Olympic playoff 2nd leg to be in Frisco, Texas Updated: Feb-02-16 3:21 pm
CHICAGO - The second leg of the United States' Olympic men's soccer qualifying playoff against Colombia will be played on March 29 at Frisco, Texas.
- Former German soccer president wins preliminary court ruling Updated: Feb-02-16 2:59 pm
DUESSELDORF, Germany - The former president of the German soccer federation can continue to refer to Qatar as a "cancerous growth of world football" - at least until a final ruling by a German court.
- Brad Evans leaves US camp because of tight right hamstring Updated: Feb-02-16 2:15 pm
CHICAGO - Defender Brad Evans has left the U.S. national team training camp to rejoin the Seattle Sounders after coming out of Sunday's 3-2 win over Iceland at halftime because of a tight right hamstring.
- Sporting KC loans Erik Palmer-Brown to Portugal's FC Porto Updated: Feb-01-16 7:48 pm
- Interview: Infantino consults Platini during FIFA campaign Updated: Feb-01-16 6:58 pm
LONDON - Although banished from power in world football, Michel Platini remains a guiding voice for Gianni Infantino as the FIFA presidential campaign enters the final stretch.
- Coach says Lionel Messi will skip Rio de Janeiro Olympics Updated: Feb-01-16 6:14 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Lionel Messi will skip the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in six months because his coach Gerardo Martino says he needs some rest.
- The Latest: Stoke signs $26m Imbula in winter's biggest deal Updated: Feb-01-16 6:03 pm
LONDON - The Latest on European soccer transfer deadline day (all times local):
- FIFA halts payments to confederations in Americas Updated: Feb-01-16 4:25 pm
NEW YORK - FIFA has halted payments to the regional soccer bodies of the Americas during ongoing investigations into corruption.
- Birnbaum's 90th-minute header puts US men past Iceland, 3-2 Updated: Feb-01-16 12:01 pm
CARSON, California - Steve Birnbaum and the U.S. men's national team both need some time to shake off an up-and-down 2015 season.
- Sweden coach Hamren stepping down after Euro 2016 Updated: Feb-01-16 8:54 am
STOCKHOLM - Sweden coach Erik Hamren says he will step down after the Euro 2016 finals irrespective of how well the team has done.