- LePage claims out-of-state donors behind national park push Updated: May-24-16 6:44 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - Maine Gov. Paul LePage said Tuesday big out-of-state interests are behind plans to create a national monument east of Baxter State Park.
- Wisconsin first-grader receives kidney from teacher Updated: May-24-16 6:22 pm
MILWAUKEE - An 8-year-old Wisconsin girl received a life-changing gift Tuesday from a special donor: a teacher at her school.
- Correction: Yellowstone Anniversaries story Updated: May-24-16 3:30 pm
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyoming - In a story May 18 about Yellowstone anniversaries, The Associated Press reported erroneously the date of an event at Yellowstone National Park. The event was May 13, not March 13.
- Congress considers Ste. Genevieve for National Parks System Updated: May-24-16 3:04 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Ste. Genevieve, a centuries-old town on the western bank of the Mississippi River, could become part of the National Parks System under legislation filed by Missouri's congressional delegation.
- Body of missing boater found near Murrells Inlet Updated: May-24-16 1:25 pm
MURRELLS INLET, South Carolina - Crews have recovered the body of a boater missing in the Waccamaw River in Murrells Inlet.
- Forest Service could charge for Cottonwood canyon hikes Updated: May-24-16 12:10 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The National Forest Service is considering charging $6 per vehicle for the use of popular trails in Utah's Big and Little Cottonwood canyons.
- Trump proposes wall to protect golf resort from rising seas Updated: May-24-16 8:53 am
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump wants to build another huge wall, this time to keep out the rising seas threatening to swamp his luxury golf resort in Ireland.
- 2 women rescued when kayak capsized in eastern Indiana river Updated: May-24-16 7:05 am
BROOKVILLE, Indiana - Emergency responders rescued two women from a tree after their kayak capsized in the Whitewater River in eastern Indiana.
- Porcupine Mountains plans extensive holiday activities Updated: May-23-16 8:45 pm
SILVER CITY, Michigan - Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park is offering recreational and educational opportunities during the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
- Park officials say euthanized bear didn't bite hiker Updated: May-23-16 6:11 pm
GATLINBURG, Tennessee - Officials at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park say a bear that was euthanized this month wasn't the same one that bit a sleeping Appalachian Trail hiker.
- Saint-Gaudens event commemorates national park anniversary Updated: May-23-16 5:08 pm
CORNISH, New Hampshire - Several people have gathered at a New Hampshire farm for a Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site event commemorating the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service.
- Illinois man to complete 50-state marathon quest in Michigan Updated: May-23-16 4:39 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - An Illinois man is set to complete his goal of running a marathon in all 50 states after he makes it across the finish line at a 26-mile race in Michigan.
- Outdoor, conservation groups criticize Utah lands push Updated: May-23-16 4:26 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Leaders of Utah's roughly $6 billion outdoor recreation industry joined a conservation group Monday to launch a billboard campaign criticizing a push by state officials to take control of vast swaths of public land from the federal government.
- Skip the flight, board the train to Glacier National Park Updated: May-23-16 2:58 pm
EAST GLACIER, Montana - Chicago skyscrapers faded into green Wisconsin, and as the sun set over the Mississippi River, we made our first vacation decision. We weren't driving, so yes, we'd have some wine. We then sat back and watched as 1,500 miles went by aboard the Empire Builder train bound for Glacier National Park.
- National Parks Service opens environmental education camp Updated: May-23-16 2:34 pm
HINTON, West Virginia - A camp for environmental education is now open to the public in Summers County, West Virginia.
- Woman, girl hospitalized following separate shark attacks Updated: May-23-16 10:42 am
Officials say an 11-year-old girl and a 57-year-old woman were taken to hospitals after they were bitten by sharks at separate locations in Florida.
- Humane Society uses miniature golf course to raise money Updated: May-23-16 10:25 am
CARSONVILLE, Michigan - An animal welfare organization in Michigan is using a miniature golf course at the site of its planned $4 million new home to raise money for its efforts.
- Professor's television program highlights historical events Updated: May-23-16 10:22 am
MANSFIELD, Massachusetts - If you didn't know that a riot once broke out in Mansfield over the abolition of slavery or what triggered Europe's 30 Years War, you might want to take a "short" course with historian Paolo DiGregorio.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die, 2 go missing Updated: May-23-16 9:28 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - An Indian climber has died while being helped down Mount Everest, just a couple of days after a Dutch and an Australian died near the peak. Two other Indian climbers are missing, and experts say some of the tragedy may have been avoidable.
- Woman rescued after falling off upstate NY cliff Updated: May-23-16 8:20 am
FULTON, New York - Authorities say a woman is hospitalized after she fell off a cliff while hiking on a prominent upstate New York landmark.
- Cold Case: Slayings that prompted biker security unsolved Updated: May-23-16 7:56 am
MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina - Two years after a triple slaying led to tighter security during the Atlantic Beach Bikefest those killings remain unsolved.
- Long Island town boosts 'boating while intoxicated' patrols Updated: May-23-16 7:45 am
POINT LOOKOUT, New York - A Long Island town is beefing up its "boating while intoxicated" patrols ahead of the Memorial Day weekend.
- Smoky Mountains, partners give guide books to 4th-graders Updated: May-23-16 4:25 am
SEVIERVILLE, Tennessee - Fourth-grade students in Sevier County are receiving a guide book from Great Smoky Mountains National Park, LeConte Lodge and Great Smoky Mountains Association.
- Crews rescue kayakers stuck on Haw River during storm Updated: May-23-16 4:04 am
PITTSBORO, North Carolina - Authorities in Chatham County have rescued two kayakers who were stranded in the Haw River during a storm.
- 2-year-old boy drowns in Rio Grande River Updated: May-23-16 3:06 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Authorities say a toddler has drowned during a family camping trip in the Rio Grande River.