- Report suggests revisions to Louisiana's pre-K overhaul Updated: Apr-29-16 1:46 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A new report says Louisiana's push to improve pre-K classes would benefit from an expanded rating system and new rules for classroom observations.
- Dayton revises budget to fund counselors, pre-K facilities Updated: Apr-28-16 2:41 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton has revised his state budget proposal to increase the number school counselors in Minnesota and help schools pay for preschool facilities.
- Correction: Bevin-Vetoes story Updated: Apr-28-16 11:26 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - In a story April 27 about Gov. Matt Bevin's budget vetoes, The Associated Press erroneously identified the current Commissioner for the Department of Vehicle Regulation and misspelled the former commissioner's name. The new commissioner is John-Mark Hack, whose appointment was announced Wednesday. Rodney Kuhl, now the former commissioner, made his comments to state lawmakers last month.
- Attempt to boost Arkansas pre-kindergarten funding rejected Updated: Apr-27-16 6:35 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A legislative panel on Wednesday rejected a proposed $10 million funding increase for Arkansas' pre-kindergarten program, and a top lawmaker said he was hopeful money cut from the state's libraries last year would be restored.
- Trial reset for Vegas school bus driver in child sex case Updated: Apr-26-16 2:41 pm
LAS VEGAS - Trial has been rescheduled for a 56-year-old former Las Vegas school bus driver charged with sexually assaulting preschool-age children on his route.
- Rapid City program gives scholarships for preschool Updated: Apr-24-16 12:10 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A Rapid City program is helping give access to preschool programs to children in economic hardship by providing scholarships.
- Idaho preschooler left on bus ends up at wrong school Updated: Apr-20-16 1:12 pm
AMMON, Idaho - An Idaho school district is investigating after a preschooler missed his bus stop on his way to school, woke up alone in a bus barn, then made his way to the wrong preschool, where he spent the rest of the day without anyone realizing what had happened.
- Hawaii lawmakers boost preschool funding, postpone decisions Updated: Apr-19-16 10:50 pm
HONOLULU - Legislative leaders want to boost funding for a program that helps fund preschool for children from low-income families, and say they've agreed to increase the budget for the Preschool Open Doors to $10 million.
- Preschool programs in Sioux Falls undergo expansion Updated: Apr-17-16 12:10 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Preschool programs in Sioux Falls are expanding.
- Richmond's YWCA and Children's Museum start preschool Updated: Apr-15-16 12:41 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The YWCA of Richmond and the Children's Museum of Richmond are working together to create a mixed-income preschool option called The Sprout School.
- State Senate, House almost $50M apart on education proposals Updated: Apr-14-16 6:06 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Lawmakers in the state Senate and House are putting the finishing touches on their school spending packages, queuing up a lengthy debate over the cost and just where that money should come from. Education is one of the few issues so far where lawmakers have shown signs of agreement, but there's still a gulf of about $50 million between their proposals.
- House GOP targets teacher diversity in budget plan Updated: Apr-12-16 6:40 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Lawmakers in the Republican-controlled House want Minnesota's teacher workforce to better reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity makeup of the state's school districts and also increase spending toward early childhood learning and literacy programs.
- 782 kids served in 1st year of expanded Nevada pre-K program Updated: Apr-01-16 4:43 pm
LAS VEGAS - A multimillion-dollar federal grant helped Nevada enroll 782 low-income children into preschool last year - a number slightly below what state education officials called their aspirational enrollment goal of 900.