- Georgia governor defies party politics with pair of vetoes Updated: May-04-16 7:08 am
ATLANTA - Georgia's Republican governor rejected the two top priorities of a legislature controlled by his own party this year, defying election year politics in a deep red state.
- Virginia Supreme Court recognizes gay couples in divorce law Updated: May-04-16 4:08 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Supreme Court of Virginia has ruled that a person doesn't need to pay alimony to a former spouse if the payee is in a new relationship with a member of the same sex.
- No appeal to federal ruling against same-sex adoption ban Updated: May-03-16 6:40 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The deadline has passed for Mississippi to appeal a federal ruling against a state ban on adoption by same-sex couples.
- Immigrant family detention center granted child-care license Updated: May-03-16 6:07 pm
HOUSTON - One of the nation's largest detention centers for families caught crossing the southern U.S. border has received a temporary residential child-care license, amid discussions over whether the federal government will keep using such facilities.
- Idaho city settles lawsuit over local law, LGBT weddings Updated: May-03-16 3:46 pm
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A city in northern Idaho has settled a lawsuit brought by wedding chapel owners who oppose same sex marriage.
- DA: NYC jail captain convicted of shooting wife in face Updated: May-03-16 2:23 pm
MINEOLA, New York - Prosecutors on Long Island say a New York City jail captain has been convicted of shooting his wife in the face after she told him she wanted a divorce.
- Recent Kansas Editorials Updated: May-03-16 10:20 am
The Manhattan Mercury, May 2
- NY redesigns domestic violence form to aid investigations Updated: May-03-16 7:23 am
ALBANY, New York - New York state has redesigned the domestic violence incident report form used by police officers in an effort to aid investigations and help victims.
- Restraining order bill receives final legislative approval Updated: May-02-16 8:14 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Legislation that would bar people with temporary restraining orders against them from possessing firearms was sent Monday to Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's desk.
- Southern Idaho domestic violence shelter faces money trouble Updated: May-02-16 3:13 pm
BURLEY, Idaho - A southern Idaho domestic violence shelter is vowing to remain open although it failed to obtain a $200,000 grant.
- LGBT rights protesters vow to keep fighting Mississippi law Updated: May-01-16 9:14 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Hundreds of supporters of lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender rights protested Sunday against a new Mississippi law they call discriminatory, saying they're not giving up their fight.
- Did woman sway boy to kill his dad? Court raises doubts Updated: May-01-16 12:42 pm
TOLEDO, Ohio - The paramedics who looked at Robert Breininger's lifeless body in his twin bed suspected right away that whatever happened didn't match the story being told by his 10-year-old son.
- Winners announced in 2016 KAPB contest Updated: Apr-30-16 9:31 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Winners of the Kentucky Associated Press Broadcasters contest were announced April 30 in Louisville. The KAPB awards recognize outstanding performance in broadcast journalism. The KAPB college competition recognizes outstanding performance in college broadcast journalism.
- Grammy museums director wants repeal of Mississippi LGBT law Updated: Apr-30-16 4:25 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - After opening the only Grammy Museum outside Los Angeles in the Mississippi Delta, the museums' director Bob Santelli had planned to bring his 28-year-old son to visit the high-tech facility honoring the cradle of the blues.
- Episcopal priest who helped church through split to leave Updated: Apr-30-16 2:58 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Rev. Jerry Smith, who helped St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church heal after a congregational split about a dozen years ago, is leaving the parish for a new post in Florida.
- Papers at Little Rock, Hot Springs, Benton take top honors Updated: Apr-30-16 2:30 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Newspapers from Little Rock, Hot Springs and Benton have won top honors in the Arkansas Associated Press Managing Editors Association journalism contest for work done in 2015.
- The Latest: Kasich calls for balance on gay rights, religion Updated: Apr-29-16 7:40 pm
BURLINGAME, California - The Latest on the California Republican Party's convention, a stage for the GOP presidential candidates (all times local):
- The Latest: Iditarod bans musher in domestic violence case Updated: Apr-29-16 7:08 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Latest on the Iditarod banning a musher facing domestic violence charges from next year's race (all times local):
- Kansas to text parents who owe child support payments Updated: Apr-29-16 3:55 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas Department for Children and Families officials say it will begin texting parents who owe child support in an effort increase collections.
- Unexpected friendship forms in Kansas City hospice Updated: Apr-29-16 2:23 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Jen Moss took to Jody Wooton from the first moments they met.
- 3 with family ties to San Bernardino shooters arrested Updated: Apr-29-16 4:57 am
RIVERSIDE, California - The brother of the man behind the San Bernardino terror attack and two Russian sisters have been charged with marriage fraud in a case that was unrelated to the December shootings but came to light in the investigation that followed it.
- The Latest: 3 tied to terror shooter deny sham-marriage plot Updated: Apr-28-16 8:50 pm
RIVERSIDE, California - The Latest on warrants served in a marriage fraud investigation stemming from the December terror attack that killed 14 in San Bernardino (all times local):
- Missouri speaker doubts religious-objections measure revival Updated: Apr-28-16 4:09 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The leader of Missouri's House says he doesn't expect there will be an effort to revive a contested measure to protect some businesses opposed to same-sex marriage.
- CDC: Teen birth rates plunge, but racial disparities persist Updated: Apr-28-16 2:13 pm
NEW YORK - Birth rates are falling dramatically for black and Hispanic teenagers, but they continue to be much higher than the birth rate for white teens.
- Cal Ripken Jr. divorce ends 29-year marriage Updated: Apr-28-16 1:38 pm
TOWSON, Maryland - Hall of Fame infielder Cal Ripken Jr. and Kelly Ripken are divorced after being married nearly 30 years, and aren't saying why.