- India's central bank cuts key interest rate to boost growth Updated: Jun-02-15 5:38 am
NEW DELHI - India's central bank cut a key interest rate by a quarter percentage point Tuesday, the third such reduction this year in support of government efforts to boost growth.
- Greece seeks agreement on deal, has submitted draft plan Updated: Jun-02-15 5:34 am
ATHENS, Greece - Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras says Greece has submitted a proposal for an agreement with its creditors, as Athens seeks a deal that will to unlock desperately needed rescue money.
- Michigan health insurers propose higher premiums in 2016 Updated: Jun-02-15 12:07 am
LANSING, Michigan - Blue Cross Blue Shield and Blue Care Network, which sell medical insurance to more than half of Michigan residents who buy their own coverage under the federal health care law, are seeking 2016 premium increases that average about 10 percent, the state insurance department announced Monday.
- Many health insurers go big with initial 2016 rate requests Updated: Jun-01-15 10:55 pm
Dozens of health insurers say higher-than-expected care costs and other expenses blindsided them this year, and they're going to have to hike premiums for individual policies well-beyond 10 percent for 2016.
- Central Bank of Nigeria executives arrested in $33m theft Updated: Jun-01-15 6:22 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - Financial crime agents arrested 21 bankers including senior executives of the Central Bank of Nigeria for the theft of $33 million worth of defaced naira currency notes, Nigerian officials said Monday.
- Blue Cross eyes 26 percent hike citing rising medical costs Updated: Jun-01-15 5:30 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's largest health insurer said Monday it wants to raise rates by an average of almost 26 percent next year on broadly subsidized policies sold to individuals, nearly double this year's allowed 13.5 percent increase.
- Ex-Oklahoma bank president, partner charged with bank fraud Updated: Jun-01-15 1:53 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Federal prosecutors say a grand jury has indicted the former president of an Altus bank, along with a business partner, on bank fraud and other charges.
- Feds say Detroit-area cancer doctor's victims top 550 Updated: Jun-01-15 1:28 pm
DETROIT - More than 500 patients were given unnecessary treatments by a Detroit-area cancer doctor who pleaded guilty to fraud, prosecutors said, putting out the number of victims for the first time.
- Health insurer proposes higher raise in premiums next year Updated: Jun-01-15 10:37 am
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee has proposed raising premiums next year by an average of more than 36 percent after losing $141 million during its first year of offering individual health plans through the federal Affordable Care Act.
- Chris Gatling arrested in online credit card scam Updated: May-30-15 4:21 pm
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona - Former NBA All-Star Chris Gatling ran a massive online fraud scheme using credit cards of people from across the nation, Scottsdale police said Saturday.
- Montana health insurers say marketplace rate hikes likely Updated: May-30-15 2:46 pm
HELENA, Montana - Health insurers selling individual policies on Montana's Affordable Care Act marketplace say rate increases are likely next year after they suffered losses they attribute in part to initial underestimates of the costs of the new business.
- Despite storm-free seasons, Florida insurance still pricey Updated: May-30-15 12:40 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Living in a (semi)-tropical paradise has a price - and apparently, not even going nine years without a major hurricane strike will change that.
- Tennessee man pleads guilty to defrauding northwest Ga. bank Updated: May-30-15 4:05 am
ROME, Georgia - Federal prosecutors say a Tennessee man has pleaded guilty defrauding a northwest Georgia bank in a home loan scheme.
- Treasurer: Legislature's inaction will raise pension costs Updated: May-29-15 8:31 pm
TIGARD, Oregon - School districts and local governments will have to pay more for employee pensions because legislative leaders are blocking a bill to restructure the management of Oregon's investments, state Treasurer Ted Wheeler said Friday.
- AmEx president dies suddenly after falling ill on flight Updated: May-29-15 7:03 pm
American Express said company President Ed Gilligan died suddenly Friday after falling ill while flying on a corporate plane to New York.
- FEMA begins reviewing Sandy flood insurance claims Updated: May-29-15 5:22 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The Federal Emergency Management Agency said Friday it has begun reviewing flood insurance claims of Superstorm Sandy victims, some of whom have said their damages were underestimated.
- Dollar Tree will sell 330 stores to private equity firm Updated: May-29-15 5:21 pm
NEW YORK - Dollar Tree said Friday that it has agreed to sell 330 of its stores to the private equity firm Sycamore Partners in order to get regulatory approval for its $8.5 billion purchase of Family Dollar.
- Report: Health insurer Humana considering a sale Updated: May-29-15 4:19 pm
Humana shares soared well beyond all-time high prices Friday afternoon on speculation that the company, one of the nation's biggest health insurers, might be up for sale.
- High-yield bond funds: Love them or leave them? Updated: May-29-15 2:32 pm
NEW YORK - Don't know what to make of the junk-bond market? Join the club.
- US Bancorp CEO warns of cuts if interest rates don't move Updated: May-29-15 1:36 pm
U.S. Bancorp's leader has warned that his company might consider cutting staff if interest rates don't begin to rise later this year, as federal officials have indicated.
- Ruble rebound threatens 'Made in Russia' industry revival Updated: May-29-15 9:46 am
MOSCOW - Russia's ruble is on a roller-coaster. After being the world's second worst-performing currency against the dollar last year, it is among the best in 2015.
- Man with 1st name 'God' settles with credit rating agency Updated: May-29-15 9:41 am
NEW YORK - A New York City man whose first name is God has settled a lawsuit with a credit reporting agency that had refused to recognize his name as legitimate.
- Norman man convicted for $1.2M bank fraud scheme Updated: May-29-15 2:23 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - A Norman man accused of trying to defraud IBC Bank of approximately $1.2 million has been convicted of conspiracy and 11 counts of bank fraud.
- Beaver Dam farmer accused of crop insurance fraud Updated: May-28-15 3:08 am
MILWAUKEE - A farmer in Beaver Dam is being accused of defrauding a crop insurance company.
- NY Assembly votes for universal health coverage Updated: May-27-15 7:51 pm
ALBANY, New York - The New York Assembly voted 89-47 on Wednesday for legislation to establish publicly funded universal health coverage in a so-called single payer system.