- Russia's ruble extends its slide despite central bank action Updated: Jul-30-15 5:49 am
MOSCOW - The Russian ruble is falling under the pressure of cheaper oil and despite a recent boost from the central bank.
- Gov't finds health law co-ops awash in red ink Updated: Jul-30-15 3:28 am
WASHINGTON - Nonprofit co-ops, the health care law's public-spirited alternative to mega-insurers, are awash in red ink and many have fallen short of sign-up goals, a government audit has found.
- Takeaway from Fed meeting: Expect a rate increase this year Updated: Jul-30-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Expectations have grown that sometime this year, the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates from record lows. The only question seems to be when.
- Ford F-150 gets mixed crash test results Updated: Jul-29-15 9:01 pm
DETROIT - Ford's new aluminum-sided F-150 pickup saw mixed results in new crash tests by the insurance industry, and the damaged trucks cost more to repair than steel-bodied ones.
- Auditors: UConn loan deal could cost state $77 million Updated: Jul-29-15 7:29 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The University of Connecticut may have cost the state just under $77 million in unnecessary interest payments by entering into a loan deal to pay for the new ambulatory care center at the UConn Health Center in Farmington, according to state auditors.
- Body shop owner challenges insurance commissioner Updated: Jul-29-15 6:32 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Second-term Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney is being challenged in the Republican primary by John Mosley, a body shop owner who says insurance companies have gotten away with paying for less-than-perfect replacement parts to repair damaged vehicles.
- Former head of investment firm sentenced on bankruptcy fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 6:28 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Ridgeland man has been sentenced to five years in federal prison after pleading guilty to one count of bankruptcy fraud.
- Zero-percent financing turns heads, but may not be best deal Updated: Jul-29-15 3:57 pm
DETROIT - When a car dealer offers to loan you the money to buy a car at zero interest, it gets your attention. Yet that cheap money might not be the best deal you can get.
- GE plant fire probe finds problems with sprinklers, hydrants Updated: Jul-29-15 3:06 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - An outdated sprinkler system, alarms that didn't activate properly and inoperable hydrants contributed to the intensity of an April 3 fire at General Electric's Appliance Park that destroyed a massive warehouse.
- Humana beats 2Q profit forecasts Updated: Jul-29-15 12:04 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Humana's second-quarter earnings jumped about 25 percent in a better-than-expected performance, as a business sale gain and premium growth helped the Medicare Advantage coverage provider.
- IMF's Lagarde: World economy fragile, faces downside risks Updated: Jul-29-15 11:13 am
WASHINGTON - International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde says the world economy is recovering but fragile and "faces some downside risks."
- Insurer Anthem hikes 2015 forecast, 2Q earnings climb Updated: Jul-29-15 10:17 am
Anthem has pumped up its 2015 forecast again after earnings jumped more than 17 percent in its most recent quarter, helped by a surge in government money.
- MasterCard 2Q profit slips and revenue falls short Updated: Jul-29-15 9:40 am
PURCHASE, New York - MasterCard Inc. on Wednesday said that its second-quarter profit edged down 1 percent as a strong dollar weighed on the company's results.
- Barclays reports sevenfold increase in profits Updated: Jul-29-15 5:55 am
LONDON - Barclays, Britain's second largest bank, said Tuesday that second quarter profit increased sevenfold, boosted by earnings from investment banking and a 496 million pound ($774 million) gain on assets acquired from Lehman Brothers in 2008.
- By nearly any measure, sunny South Florida is tops in fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 4:52 am
MIAMI - Psssst - Need a phony ID? A fraudulent tax refund? Insurance money from a sham car crash? Florida may have just what you're looking for.
- Gilead beats Street 2Q forecasts on surge in sales, profit Updated: Jul-28-15 6:49 pm
Blockbuster hepatitis C medicine Harvoni propelled Gilead Sciences Inc.'s second-quarter profit up 23 percent as total revenue for the biotech drugmaker jumped 26 percent and it raised its 2015 sales forecast for the second time. Its shares jumped in after-hours trading.
- Man accused of using $476K in employer's funds for strippers Updated: Jul-28-15 11:43 am
ST. LOUIS - An Arizona computer engineer for a Missouri-based tech company wrongly racked up nearly a half million dollars in personal charges on his employer's credit card, lavishing much of the money on online strippers, according to a federal indictment accusing him of five wire-fraud counts.
- Home Bancorp profit rises in second quarter Updated: Jul-28-15 10:49 am
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - Lafayette-based Home Bancorp Inc. reported its second-quarter profit rose slightly to $2.8 million, or 41 cents per share, an increase of $87,000, or 1 cent per share, over the same period last year.
- MidSouth Bancorp beats Wall Street forecast Updated: Jul-28-15 6:58 am
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - MidSouth Bancorp Inc.'s second-quarter profit climbed to $4.9 million, or 42 cents per share, from $3.9 million, or 34 cents per share, a year ago.
- Covered California: Cost of health care coverage increasing Updated: Jul-27-15 9:16 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The cost of private individual health plans on California's state-run market will increase about 4 percent for the second straight year, evidence the strategy of forcing insurers to compete is controlling costs, program officials said Monday.
- Federal laws have banks turning away marijuana businesses Updated: Jul-27-15 2:52 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Federal laws tying marijuana money with money laundering has banks turning away marijuana businesses.
- Attorney sentenced in immigration, bank fraud cases Updated: Jul-26-15 5:31 pm
LOS ANGELES - Prosecutors say a Newport Beach attorney has been sentenced to federal prison for his role in a scam that targeted immigrants in the country illegally who were being held in detention and awaiting possible deportation.
- Deutsche Boerse buys forex trading platform 360T for $796M Updated: Jul-26-15 5:05 am
BERLIN - Frankfurt stock exchange operator Deutsche Boerse AG says it is buying foreign exchange trading platform 360T for 725 million euros ($796 million).
- Fed: Confidential forecasts mistakenly made public Updated: Jul-24-15 7:48 pm
WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve said Friday it mistakenly posted confidential economic projections on its public website last month.
- Bristol-Myers wins approval for 1st hepatitis C type 3 drug Updated: Jul-24-15 6:02 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - An experimental drug for one of the hardest-to-treat types of hepatitis C has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration, adding to the surge of new options - all much more effective but extremely costly - for patients with the liver-destroying virus.