- Iowa pastor gets 25 years for sex abuse of 5-year-old girl Updated: May-05-16 6:36 am
SIDNEY, Iowa - A southwest Iowa pastor has been given 25 years in prison for sexually abusing a 5-year-old girl.
- Illinois Democrats drop plan to tax wealthy at higher rates Updated: May-04-16 5:20 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois House Democrats abandoned a plan to increase taxes on millionaires if voters approved in November.
- Sex abuse victims, lawmakers push for right to sue molesters Updated: May-04-16 4:58 pm
ALBANY, New York - New Yorkers who were molested as children joined lawmakers and advocates in a two-day rally for lifting the state's statute of limitations on suing abusers, saying the law closing the window at age 23 guarantees many more young victims.
- Georgia governor's vetoes on guns, faith bucked his GOP base Updated: May-04-16 4:47 pm
ATLANTA - When Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal recently vetoed bills allowing guns on college campuses and shielding religious people who deny people services based on their faith, he was directly bucking his fellow Republican lawmakers, who overwhelmingly supported the proposals, and possibly losing points with his conservative political base.
- The Latest: Georgia vetoes bucked conservative GOP base Updated: May-04-16 4:42 pm
ATLANTA - The Latest on Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal's veto of a bill that would have allowed concealed handguns on college and universities (all times local):
- School district's lease of Jesus lunches park to end Updated: May-04-16 11:33 am
MIDDLETON, Wisconsin - The Middleton City Council has voted to rescind the school district's lease of a park where students meet for lunch and some religious discussion.
- Man pleads guilty to molesting teen in church bathroom Updated: May-04-16 8:12 am
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - A New Haven man charged with sexually molesting a 13-year-old boy in the bathroom of a Bridgeport church has pleaded guilty just before his trial was about to start.
- Praying for police: Law agencies hold Lowcountry service Updated: May-04-16 5:02 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A prayer service to show appreciation for Lowcountry law enforcement officers is scheduled to be held in Charleston.
- Lawsuit: Nevada worker fired for not accepting Scientology Updated: May-03-16 11:30 pm
LAS VEGAS - A Catholic woman fired from her job at a bottled water company led by a Nevada lawmaker has filed a federal lawsuit against the business, saying she was pressured to watch videos on Scientology and was denied pay raises because of her religious beliefs.
- Texas prison ban on Muslim inmate beards, caps ruled illegal Updated: May-03-16 6:11 pm
DALLAS - A federal appeals court panel has upheld a Texas prison inmate's right to a beard and skullcap as required by his religious beliefs.
- Bangladesh blogger seeks US help as threats escalate Updated: May-03-16 5:25 pm
WASHINGTON - When Bangladeshi blogger and social activist Ashif Entaz Rabi hosted a TV talk show about a slaying of a publisher by Islamic extremists, he faced a torrent of threatening phone calls. He says young men with earpieces started loitering outside his workplace, and a militant website urged followers to "send this Ashif to Allah."
- St. Thomas faces suit over suspension in sexual assault case Updated: May-03-16 1:55 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A student is suing a private Catholic university in St. Paul over its handling of a sexual assault allegation against him.
- Lawsuit accuses Connecticut rabbi of sexual abuse Updated: May-03-16 1:23 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A Connecticut rabbi is accused of raping and molesting a teenage boy hundreds of times when the boy was a student at a Jewish boarding school in New Haven from 2001 to 2005, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in federal court.
- Archbishop concerned as primaries head to New Mexico Updated: May-03-16 12:54 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Santa Fe Archbishop John Wester has joined other religious leaders in voicing concerns about the political rhetoric surrounding immigration as the presidential primary campaign heads to New Mexico.
- The Latest: Connecticut rabbi denies sexual abuse claims Updated: May-03-16 12:22 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on a lawsuit accusing a Connecticut rabbi of sexually abusing a Jewish boarding school student (all times local):
- Jewish leader urges Sweden to prioritize anti-Semitism fight Updated: May-03-16 11:55 am
STOCKHOLM - The president of the European Jewish Congress says Sweden needs to be vigilant of anti-Semitism among some refugees seeking shelter in the Nordic country.
- Jewish leader asks Michelin to taste Israeli cuisine Updated: May-03-16 11:28 am
JERUSALEM - The leader of an umbrella organization representing world Jewry has asked the Michelin travel guide company to evaluate Israeli restaurants with its famous rating system, implying that the decision to omit the country may be political.
- 'Sharia police' that patrolled German city to be tried Updated: May-03-16 9:20 am
BERLIN - A German court says a group of Islamic extremists who patrolled the streets of the city of Wuppertal in orange vests with the words "Sharia police" can be tried for violating laws against wearing uniforms with political messages.
- Bangladesh war crimes court sentences 4 to death Updated: May-03-16 8:15 am
NEW DELHI - A special war crimes court in Bangladesh sentenced four men to death Tuesday for killing, torture, arson and looting during the nation's independence war against Pakistan in 1971.
- Detention powers stir concern over Indonesia terror law Updated: May-03-16 3:25 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - A lawmaker involved in vetting Indonesia's proposed counter-terrorism law says a contentious provision allowing detention without trial for six months could undermine the fight against Islamic extremism.
- The Latest: New Mexico bishops attack anti-child abuse push Updated: May-02-16 5:40 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Latest on a New Mexico campaign aimed at tackling child abuse (all times local):
- Affidavit: Wife present when youth minister abused child Updated: May-02-16 2:20 pm
CANAAN, Maine - Court documents indicated a youth minister's wife was present when he allegedly sexually abused a girl.
- Nursing homes starting to offer more individualized menus Updated: May-02-16 3:22 am
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - There is a growing trend among the nation's 15,600 nursing homes to abandon rigid menus and strict meal times in favor of a more individualized approach toward food.
- Bill would require colleges to reveal religious exemptions Updated: May-01-16 3:58 pm
BOSTON - Congresswoman Katherine Clark is pushing legislation she says will help members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community make more informed decisions about college.
- The Latest: Iraqis announce disbanding of Green Zone protest Updated: May-01-16 12:01 pm
BAGHDAD - The Latest on Iraq's political crisis (all times local):