- Mississippi attorney: Don't block religious objections law Updated: May-27-16 1:42 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Mississippi government attorney says there's no reason for a federal court to block a new state law that will allow clerks to cite religious objections to recuse themselves from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- Polish Church leader appeals for end to political conflict Updated: May-27-16 12:06 pm
WARSAW, Poland - The head of Poland's influential Catholic Church Episcopate has appealed for an end to a political conflict that has divided the nation and strained foreign ties.
- St. Paul archdiocese plan offers over $65M to creditors Updated: May-26-16 5:33 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday filed a bankruptcy reorganization plan that would set up a trust fund of more than $65 million to compensate some 440 clergy abuse victims plus other creditors, with just over half of that amount coming from insurance.
- Egypt: Muslim mob attacks Christians, parade naked woman Updated: May-26-16 2:21 pm
CAIRO - An armed Muslim mob stripped an elderly Christian woman and paraded her naked on the streets in an attack last week in which seven Christian homes were also looted and torched in a province south of the Egyptian capital.
- UN decries church worship limit in Cyprus' breakaway north Updated: May-26-16 9:58 am
NICOSIA, Cyprus - A U.N. envoy has expressed "deep concern" over a newly-imposed limit on worship in Orthodox Christian churches inside ethnically divided Cyprus' breakaway Turkish Cypriot north.
- Ex-priest indicted on charges he sexually assaulted teen Updated: May-26-16 5:44 am
ELIZABETH, New Jersey - A former New Jersey priest who fled to Ecuador more than a decade ago after a teen boy accused him of sexual assault has been indicted.
- The Latest: Slain pastor and SC senator's portrait unveiled Updated: May-25-16 5:09 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Latest on a church shooting in Charleston about a year ago that left nine black members dead (all times local):
- Driver of church van that hit train, killing 1, is indicted Updated: May-25-16 3:52 pm
MIDDLETOWN, Ohio - The driver of an Ohio church van that crashed into a moving train last summer, killing a woman and injuring nine children, has been charged with aggravated vehicular homicide.
- Little-known extremist cleric chosen to lead Afghan Taliban Updated: May-25-16 2:28 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - A little-known extremist cleric was chosen Wednesday to be the new leader of the Afghan Taliban, just days after a U.S. drone strike killed his predecessor.
- Wisconsin company sued over break policy for Muslim workers Updated: May-25-16 1:47 pm
BRILLION, Wisconsin - A civil liberties group representing Muslim employees of a Wisconsin manufacturer has filed a religious discrimination complaint against the company for not allowing extra break time for prayer.
- Swiss region: Muslim boys must shake female teachers' hands Updated: May-25-16 1:41 pm
GENEVA - A school board in northern Switzerland said Wednesday that two Muslim boys who have refused to shake hands with their female teachers for religious reasons can be required to do so, ruling that their parents could face fines of up to 5,000 Swiss francs (about $5,000) if they don't.
- Couple files religious discrimination complaint against inn Updated: May-25-16 12:59 pm
GALENA, Illinois - A Wisconsin couple has filed a discrimination charge with the state of Illinois saying that an inn owner refused to host their wedding because they wanted a non-religious service.
- Swedish leader reshuffles government after gaffes, scandal Updated: May-25-16 10:59 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven has reshuffled his minority coalition after two ministers from coalition partner the Green Party stepped down amid gaffes and scandals.
- Oregon church hit with $5M suit for alleged unreported abuse Updated: May-25-16 5:19 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - A woman is suing a northwestern Oregon church over claims that its leaders kept quiet about reports from her daughter that she was being sexually abused by her father.
- Philippine population growth slows as contraceptives spread Updated: May-25-16 4:43 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines' annual population growth rate has slowed as more people in the predominantly Roman Catholic country use contraception.
- The Latest: Archbishop says archdiocese disclosed all assets Updated: May-24-16 7:23 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Latest on attorneys accusing the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis of hiding assets (all times local):
- Complaint alleges Texas charter schools abusing visa program Updated: May-24-16 6:38 pm
A complaint filed Tuesday with Texas education officials accuses a charter-school network of abusing a visa program to import large numbers of Turkish teachers and violating state and federal laws by paying them more than American teachers.
- Alleged Islamic State sympathizer arrested on terror charge Updated: May-24-16 6:16 pm
NEW YORK - Investigators found an Islamic State flag and a passport wrapped in $2,400 in cash when they arrested a young Bronx man Tuesday on charges that he tried to support the terror organization, a prosecutor said.
- Senators air rights concerns about India ahead of PM's visit Updated: May-24-16 12:25 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. lawmakers said Tuesday they are encouraged by growing defense cooperation with India but remain concerned about religious intolerance and slavery in the South Asian nation ahead of a visit by its prime minister.
- Virginia minister arrested on child pornography charges Updated: May-24-16 11:57 am
ISLE OF WIGHT, Virginia - A Virginia minister has been arrested in connection to an ongoing child pornography investigation.
- Idaho man sues ISU over hostility toward his Mormon faith Updated: May-24-16 10:24 am
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - An Idaho Falls man is suing Idaho State University, claiming that he was discriminated against because of his Mormon faith.
- Priest abuse victim sentenced for child pornography Updated: May-24-16 6:48 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - A Kentucky newspaper reports a man who was abused by a Catholic priest in Louisville as a child has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for using two boys to produce child pornography.
- Experts say divisive politician could win Australian seat Updated: May-24-16 2:25 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Right-wing firebrand politician Pauline Hanson, who opposes Muslim immigration, has a realistic chance of returning to Australia's Parliament in July elections, experts said Tuesday.
- Arizona city bars Satanic Temple prayer at council meeting Updated: May-23-16 9:27 pm
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona - Officials say Scottsdale will bar the Satanic Temple from leading a scheduled prayer at a City Council meeting in July.
- The Latest: UN says 50,000 civilians in Fallujah at risk Updated: May-23-16 3:03 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Latest on a violent day in the Middle East, with deadly bombings in Syria and Yemen and the start of an Iraqi government offensive to retake the city of Fallujah from the Islamic State group (all times local):