- Report: 1st US case of germ resistant to last resort drug Updated: May-26-16 7:03 pm
NEW YORK - For the first time, a U.S. patient has been infected with bacteria resistant to an antibiotic used as a last resort treatment, scientists said Thursday.
- Phoenix VA hospital blocks medical marijuana presentation Updated: May-26-16 3:24 pm
PHOENIX - A doctor is upset after the Veterans Affairs hospital in Phoenix blocked her from giving a lecture about marijuana's effect on veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- EXCHANGE: Cancer surgeon opens holistic medicine clinic Updated: May-26-16 5:01 am
ROCKFORD, Illinois - Dr. Elisha Robinson-Asiso recently opened Integrative Healing Center on Rockford's east side.
- Medical marijuana legalization sent to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:11 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A medical marijuana legalization bill has been sent to Ohio Gov. John Kasich in an effort by state lawmakers to offset support for a proposed fall ballot measure.
- Medical marijuana OK'd by Ohio lawmakers in pre-break flurry Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio lawmakers sent a medical marijuana legalization bill to the governor Wednesday on divided votes, in action capping a final flurry of activity ahead of their summer break.
- The Latest: Bill on voting hours heads to Ohio governor Updated: May-25-16 11:08 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest on legislative activity at the Ohio Statehouse as lawmakers seek to wrap up work before their summer break (all times local):
- FDA delay raises slim hope for muscular dystrophy drug Updated: May-25-16 12:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health regulators will take more time to review a highly-contested drug for muscular dystrophy that has become a flashpoint in the debate over patient access to experimental medicine.
- Agency would get cut of medical marijuana sales under bill Updated: May-23-16 6:46 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers in the Louisiana House have agreed to give the agriculture department up to 7 percent of the revenue from sales of medical marijuana, to pay for agency costs of regulating the drug.
- EU lifts suicide warning on Pfizer's smoking-cessation pill Updated: May-23-16 5:53 pm
Europe's main drug regulator has lifted a 7-year-old warning about possible suicidal risks from Chantix, Pfizer's smoking-cessation pill.
- Butte police investigate theft from medical marijuana shop Updated: May-23-16 4:33 pm
BUTTE, Montana - Law enforcement officers say two male suspects cut a hole in the roof of a building housing a medical marijuana dispensary and stole about $12,000 worth of marijuana plants.
- Groups backing medical marijuana will delay petition effort Updated: May-22-16 5:11 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska groups pushing for approval of medical marijuana in the state have decided to delay a petition drive to put the question on the ballot because of the time and expense required.
- Michigan bill requires equal health coverage of cancer drugs Updated: May-21-16 10:15 am
LANSING, Michigan - Cancer patients and survivors are lobbying lawmakers to make Michigan the latest in a long line of states to require equal insurance coverage of chemotherapy regardless of whether the drugs are given by needle or taken orally.
- Medical marijuana growers in Jackson County fly under radar Updated: May-21-16 3:02 am
MEDFORD, Oregon - Only a handful of medical marijuana growers have applied for Jackson County permits to keep growing on rural residential land - even though growers without permits face fines of up to $10,000 and orders to remove their plants.
- Congress warming to idea of medical marijuana for veterans Updated: May-20-16 6:50 pm
DENVER - Congress is showing an increased willingness to let VA doctors talk to veterans about medical marijuana in states where it's legal, although final approval is far from certain.
- Rhode Island Senate backs marijuana as PTSD treatment Updated: May-19-16 5:36 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Senate has passed a bill that would approve the use of marijuana to treat post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Immune drug for deadly skin cancer shows long-term survival Updated: May-18-16 6:22 pm
CHICAGO - A new kind of drug for the deadliest form of skin cancer helped some patients survive for at least three years, a study shows. It's a remarkable advance for patients who until recently faced dismal chances of living for more than a few months.
- FDA OKs immunotherapy drugs for bladder, blood cancers Updated: May-18-16 6:17 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - U.S. regulators have approved the first drug for bladder cancer that harnesses the body's immune system, the first major advance in three decades against the most common type of bladder cancer.
- Colombia battles world's biggest drugmaker over cancer drug Updated: May-18-16 5:47 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's government is giving pharmaceutical giant Novartis a few weeks to lower prices on a popular cancer drug or see its monopoly on production of the medicine broken and competition thrown open to generic rivals.
- California city approves controversial pot marijuana rules Updated: May-18-16 3:41 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Oakland's new medical marijuana rules include an equity program that is drawing debate.
- Editorials from around New York Updated: May-18-16 12:28 pm
Recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New York's newspapers:
- More drug prescription oversight on tap at Minnesota Capitol Updated: May-17-16 10:24 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota lawmakers are moving to tighten the state's oversight of prescriptions of painkillers and other harmful drugs in an effort to curb opioid abuse.
- Zoetis launching new doggy med for noise-related anxiety Updated: May-16-16 2:59 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Fido and Spot may not have to cower under the bed this summer when fireworks and thunderstorms hit, thanks to the first prescription medicine for treating anxiety over loud noises - a widespread problem linked to property destruction, terrified dogs running away and even life-threatening injuries to some.
- Pfizer buying skin drug maker Anacor for $5.2 billion Updated: May-16-16 2:54 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Pfizer is fortifying its key immunology and inflammation drug business, snapping up a small maker of skin disorder treatments for about $5.2 billion, weeks after the U.S. Treasury Department torpedoed Pfizer's planned $160 billion deal for Allergan PLC.
- Egypt raises prices of locally made medicines by 20 percent Updated: May-16-16 11:35 am
CAIRO - Egypt's government has allowed for a 20 percent price increase for domestically manufactured medicines.
- Officials hold forum to discuss drug epidemic Updated: May-16-16 12:45 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - State officials are hosting a community forum to educate people about the ongoing drug epidemic.