- Legislature ends with Lt. Gov. Patrick denying 2018 plans Updated: Jun-01-15 6:32 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The first legislative session under Republican Gov. Greg Abbott ended Monday with conservatives claiming victory on tax cuts, a big boost in border security spending and looser gun laws in a state already known as among America's most firearms friendly.
- Vast trove of Medicare data details how billions are spent Updated: Jun-01-15 5:17 pm
WASHINGTON - Joint replacement was the most common hospital procedure that Medicare paid for in 2013, accounting for nearly 450,000 inpatient admissions and $6.6 billion in payments.
- Abbott: Texas won't legalize medicinal or recreational pot Updated: Jun-01-15 4:17 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Republican Gov. Greg Abbott says Texas won't legalize marijuana for medicinal or recreational use for as long as he's in office.
- Novel government cancer study will test precision medicine Updated: Jun-01-15 12:04 pm
CHICAGO - The federal government is launching a very different kind of cancer study that will assign patients drugs based on what genes drive their tumors rather than the type.
- Cancer treatments got gentler, yet kids' survival improved Updated: Jun-01-15 1:22 am
CHICAGO - The move to make cancer treatments gentler for children has paid a double dividend: More kids are surviving than ever before, and without the long-term complications that doomed many of their peers a generation ago, new research shows.
- Chaves County drops commissioner who supports marijuana farm Updated: May-30-15 5:29 pm
ROSWELL, New Mexico - After the chairman of a joint city-county commission supported a controversial marijuana farm proposal, commissioners in Chaves County voted Thursday not to reappoint him to the board.
- Marijuana could treat PTSD under legislation Updated: May-30-15 1:36 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Post-traumatic stress disorder would be considered a debilitating illness that can be treated with medically prescribed marijuana under legislation headed to Gov. Bruce Rauner.
- More cancer success with drugs that enlist immune system Updated: May-29-15 4:25 pm
CHICAGO - For the first time, a major study shows that a drug targeting the body's disease-fighting immune system may improve survival for the most common form of lung cancer.
- Bill would require California doctors to check drug database Updated: May-28-15 6:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California doctors would be required to check a statewide database before prescribing narcotics under a bill moving through the state Legislature.
- Gov. Bobby Jindal says he'd sign medical marijuana bill Updated: May-28-15 4:36 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. Bobby Jindal says he has "no concerns" about a medical marijuana bill nearing final legislative passage and would sign it into law if it reaches his desk.
- Oregon Senate backs new regulations for medical marijuana Updated: May-28-15 3:26 am
SALEM, Oregon - The state Senate voted Wednesday to impose stricter regulations on Oregon's medical marijuana program as lawmakers get ready for the legalization of pot for recreational use.
- AARP survey: Many generic medicine prices have risen sharply Updated: May-28-15 12:04 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - Reversing a long-term trend, prices for more than one in four generic medicines widely used by older Americans increased in 2013, some very sharply, according to a survey by AARP.
- Don't delay: Study confirms early treatment is best for HIV Updated: May-27-15 8:24 pm
WASHINGTON - A major international study says HIV patients shouldn't delay in seeking treatment: Starting medication soon after diagnosis helps keep people healthy longer.
- US high court: California county drug disposal law stands Updated: May-27-15 6:35 pm
OAKLAND, California - The U.S. Supreme Court is letting a Northern California county's drug disposal law stand, paving the way for similar ordinances elsewhere.
- Senate-backed medical marijuana bill advancing in House Updated: May-27-15 6:19 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Medical marijuana advocates have done this year what they failed to do in the past: push to the brink of final passage a bill that could finally make good on Louisiana's 1991 medicinal pot law.
- Florida: Pot strain likely available later this year Updated: May-27-15 6:12 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida officials are predicting that a strain of low-potency marijuana should finally be available for medical purposes later this year.
- Nebraska senators scrap medical marijuana for the year Updated: May-27-15 3:44 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The sponsor of a proposal to legalize medical marijuana in Nebraska pulled the bill from the Legislature's agenda on Wednesday, citing a flurry of other divisive votes senators have had to defend recently - including a repeal of the death penalty.
- Zogenix says former obesity drug reduced seizures in study Updated: May-27-15 2:43 pm
NEW YORK - Drugmaker Zogenix said Wednesday that a drug once used to fight obesity before it was taken off the market may help treat a rare disease that causes severe seizures in young children.
- Arizona court to review ruling on marijuana, DUI immunity Updated: May-27-15 2:24 pm
PHOENIX - The Arizona Supreme Court will review a lower court's ruling that said drivers who have medical marijuana cards can still be prosecuted under laws against driving under the influence while having marijuana in their system.
- California doctors to treat dying patients with ecstasy drug Updated: May-27-15 10:51 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The Federal Drug Administration is allowing a team of San Francisco Bay Area psychotherapists to prescribe ecstasy to treat dying patients.
- 2 inmates sue state over hepatitis C treatment Updated: May-27-15 7:20 am
MINNEAPOLIS - Two prisoners who have hepatitis C are suing the Minnesota Department of Corrections because they want access to expensive new drug treatments.
- Marijuana facility in south-central Illinois hits snag Updated: May-27-15 4:07 am
CHICAGO - Plans to build a medical marijuana facility in the south-central Illinois city of Litchfield have run into obstacles.
- Seattle to shutter dozens of medical marijuana dispensaries Updated: May-26-15 7:45 pm
SEATTLE - With Washington state overhauling its medical marijuana law, Seattle Mayor Ed Murray says the city is planning to shutter dozens of dispensaries.
- Ballot proposals for 2016 election include medical marijuana Updated: May-26-15 4:51 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A South Dakota medical marijuana supporter hopes to begin gathering signatures within a month to put a proposal on the 2016 ballot to allow people with serious medical conditions to use pot.
- Study peeks into healthy brains to hunt Alzheimer's culprit Updated: May-26-15 1:26 pm
WASHINGTON - Sticky plaque gets the most attention, but now healthy seniors at risk of Alzheimer's are letting scientists peek into their brains to see if another culprit is lurking.