- Project: $1.9M to increase preterm baby breastfeeding Updated: May-29-16 8:42 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Rural mothers whose premature babies are in intensive care will be able to get their breast milk delivered to their babies, thanks to a $1.9 million, three-year grant, say authorities in the Mississippi Delta.
- $1 cup designed in Seattle could save millions of babies Updated: May-29-16 10:52 am
SEATTLE - When babies in poor countries can't breast-feed, the results can be deadly, but a trio of Seattle researchers has found an innovative way to help.
- CDC urges speed on Zika as House moves to negotiate funding Updated: May-26-16 4:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. must act more quickly to protect pregnant women from birth defect-causing Zika, a top health official said Thursday even as the House left town for its Memorial Day recess with no visible progress toward a congressional compromise on emergency funding to battle the virus.
- Researchers slowly homing in on risk of Zika birth defect Updated: May-25-16 5:15 pm
NEW YORK - As the international epidemic of Zika virus disease has unfolded and led to devastating birth defects for at least 1,300 children in eight countries, an agonizing question has persisted: What is the chance that an infected pregnant woman will have a baby with these defects?
- State officials to distribute Zika prevention kits Updated: May-24-16 10:20 am
DOVER, Delaware - Delaware state officials will begin distributing Zika prevention kits to pregnant women.
- The Latest: Court questions attorney in feticide case appeal Updated: May-23-16 6:58 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on an Indiana woman's appeal of a feticide conviction in the death of her premature infant (all times local):
- Indiana court to hear woman's appeal of feticide conviction Updated: May-21-16 10:33 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Attorneys for an Indiana woman found guilty of killing the premature infant she delivered after ingesting abortion-inducing drugs will soon ask an appeals court to throw out the convictions that led to her 20-year prison sentence.
- Pregnant mom with rare, aggressive cancer: 'I don't give up' Updated: May-21-16 3:02 am
LYNNWOOD, Washington - Apryl and Peter Roberts' second daughter is sure to be a spirited little fighter. By the time she is born near the end of May, her mother will have climbed Seattle's Columbia Center, weathered life-shattering news, and endured several rounds of chemotherapy - all while pregnant.
- Pregnant women in US with Zika spikes on new counting method Updated: May-20-16 1:15 pm
NEW YORK - The number of pregnant women in the United States infected with Zika virus is suddenly tripling, due to a change in how the government is reporting cases.
- Plan calls for improving oral health in Michigan by 2020 Updated: May-18-16 11:15 pm
LANSING, Michigan - State officials and others are backing a plan to boost the number of dentists in Michigan and encourage their collaboration with other health care providers to give residents better access to dental care.
- Minnesota man charged with murder in death of pregnant wife Updated: May-17-16 5:30 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - An Eden Prairie man is charged with first-degree premeditated murder in the stabbing death of his pregnant wife and their prematurely born child.
- Mom who poisoned, then drowned 2 kids gets 8 years in prison Updated: May-17-16 4:48 pm
NEW YORK - A former teacher who laced her two young children's grape juice with windshield wiper fluid, then drowned them in a bathtub promised on Tuesday to raise awareness of postpartum depression before a judge sentenced her to eight years in prison.
- In utero keepsakes record heartbeats, flood baby market Updated: May-15-16 9:01 am
BEAR, Delaware - At bedtime, Julian Buller bids goodnight to the furry friends sharing his bed: Mickey Mouse and the bowtie-clad puppy stuffed with his little brother's heartbeat.
- Portuguese lawmakers extend pregnancy rights to gay women Updated: May-13-16 10:07 am
LISBON, Portugal - Gay women will soon have access to artificial insemination in Portugal after the country's Parliament approved legal changes widening access to the procedure.
- 'Nashville' star Hayden Panettiere getting depression help Updated: May-13-16 8:35 am
Hayden Panettiere says she's taking time to "reflect holistically" on her health and life amid her battle with postpartum depression.
- Appeals court throws out sentence prohibiting pregnancy Updated: May-11-16 6:08 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Court of Appeals has thrown out the sentence for a Mason City woman which prohibited her from becoming pregnant while on probation for a child endangerment conviction.
- A study asks: Too much folic acid a cause of autism? Updated: May-11-16 12:56 pm
NEW YORK - For decades, pregnant women and women who may become pregnant have been advised to take folic acid to help prevent certain birth defects.
- Breastfeeding pilots' claims against airline seen as advance Updated: May-11-16 4:34 am
DENVER - Charges by four female pilots that Frontier Airlines' policies for pregnant women and new mothers are discriminatory could be seen as progress, an advocate says.
- A pregnant woman walks into a bar: You must serve her in NYC Updated: May-06-16 6:40 pm
NEW YORK - A pregnant woman shows up at a New York City bar and wants to go in and order a drink despite health warnings against consuming alcohol while expecting. Should the tavern serve her?
- All those questions about Zika's threat even touch baseball Updated: May-06-16 5:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Scientists know the Zika virus causes devastating birth defects but they can't yet tell how big a threat it is or what to do about it. It's not just pregnant women who are worried - now it's touched baseball.
- ACLU: Annapolis firm fired woman for pregnancy Updated: May-06-16 11:38 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - An Annapolis financial adviser says she was fired because she was pregnant.
- Triplets born prematurely set to graduate at top of class Updated: May-06-16 9:25 am
SAUGATUCK, Michigan - Triplets born 15 weeks premature in 1997 are set to graduate at their top of their class at a western Michigan high school.
- Woman gives birth in brother's car on way to hospital Updated: Apr-30-16 5:03 pm
ALOHA, Oregon - An Aloha woman is recovering after her son couldn't wait for a scheduled C-section to be born.