- Correction: Abortion Decline-Illinois story Updated: Jun-26-15 4:46 pm
CHICAGO - In a story June 7 about a decline in abortions in Illinois, The Associated Press, relying on incorrect information from the Illinois Department of Public Health, reported erroneously that the Illinois numbers were for surgical abortions only. The Illinois numbers include both surgical and medical abortions.
- FDA reviewing safety of Essure birth control implant Updated: Jun-25-15 12:34 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health regulators are reviewing the safety of an implantable contraception device after receiving reports of unusual side effects from patients, including fatigue, depression and weight gain.
- Report: Illinois insurers lack clear information for women Updated: Jun-24-15 2:50 pm
CHICAGO - Most insurance plans offered in Illinois on the health overhaul law's new marketplace meet the law's requirements for women's health, according to a report released Wednesday.
- Religious groups may appeal birth control mandate ruling Updated: Jun-24-15 2:01 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A group of religious institutions is considering an appeal of a federal court ruling this week that found certain birth-control provisions of the Affordable Care Act don't violate the religious rights of faith-based groups.
- Iowa court allows remote dispensing of abortion pill Updated: Jun-19-15 11:28 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Supreme Court has struck down a restriction that would have prevented doctors from administering abortion-inducing pills remotely via video teleconferencing, saying it would have placed an undue burden on a woman's right to get an abortion.
- Oregon Senate committee clears birth control proposal Updated: Jun-18-15 7:47 pm
SALEM, Oregon - A proposal permitting pharmacists to prescribe hormonal birth control is advancing through the Legislature.
- Oregon women soon can get a year's supply of birth control Updated: Jun-12-15 9:31 am
SALEM, Oregon - It's like a ritual for women across the nation: frequent treks to the pharmacist to refill birth control prescriptions.
- Georgia woman who used abortion pills still faces legal woes Updated: Jun-11-15 4:02 am
ALBANY, Georgia - A Georgia woman spent nearly three days in jail without bond before prosecutors decided police had wrongly charged her with murder after being told she had used pills ordered online to terminate her pregnancy.
- Renewed fight expected over Indiana abortion clinic rules Updated: Jun-10-15 4:34 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana's push to place tougher restrictions on a Lafayette Planned Parenthood clinic that provides abortions only by using drugs, not surgery, could spark a new court fight under a revised law set to take effect in July.
- Hawaii's abortion drop coincides with sex education changes Updated: Jun-07-15 1:02 pm
HONOLULU - A dramatic drop in the number of abortions performed in Hawaii over a recent five-year period has health and education experts wondering what caused the change.
- Utah's abortion rate dropped 16 percent in recent years Updated: Jun-07-15 12:59 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The annual number of abortions has decreased by 16 percent in Utah since 2010, mirroring a national trend, an Associated Press survey has found.
- Number of abortions in Nebraska drops since 2010 Updated: Jun-07-15 12:58 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - The number of abortions in Nebraska has declined by nearly 8 percent over a four-year span, but two groups on opposite sides of the abortion debate attribute the drop to different reasons.
- Florida abortions dip, but not as high as other states Updated: Jun-07-15 12:38 pm
MIAMI - The number of abortions performed in Florida dropped by 10 percent between 2010 and 2014, but the decrease is less than in other Republican-led states that have more aggressive restrictions on the procedure.
- AP Exclusive: Abortions declining in nearly all states Updated: Jun-07-15 12:24 pm
Abortions have declined in states where new laws make it harder to have them - but they've also waned in states where abortion rights are protected, an Associated Press survey finds. Nearly everywhere, in red states and blue, abortions are down since 2010.