- Senate gives its final approval to expand NC abortion rules Updated: Jun-01-15 9:59 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Senate gave its final approval late Monday to additional rules surrounding abortion in North Carolina, primarily one extending the waiting period for a woman to obtain the procedure from 24 hours to 72 hours.
- Abortion-rights group challenges new Kansas restrictions Updated: Jun-01-15 5:12 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - An abortion-rights group challenged Kansas' first-in-the-nation ban on a second-trimester procedure that anti-abortion activists describe as dismembering a fetus.
- Shocking ads ignite debate about abortion ban in Chile Updated: May-28-15 5:56 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The video shows a woman climbing a stairwell, her belly visibly pregnant, as she offers suggestions: Make sure there are no security cameras. Be careful not to look down or you might regret it.
- Abortion ban based on heartbeat rejected by appeals court Updated: May-27-15 4:18 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A federal appeals court struck down one of the nation's toughest abortion restrictions on Wednesday, agreeing with a lower court that ruled an Arkansas law unconstitutionally burdens women by banning abortions after the 12th week of pregnancy if a doctor can detect a fetal heartbeat.
- California bill compels abortion notice at pregnancy centers Updated: May-26-15 7:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Californians who visit crisis pregnancy centers must know whether the facility is licensed and that abortion is an option under legislation advanced Tuesday by the state Assembly.
- Abortion parental notification bill draws heated testimony Updated: May-25-15 7:43 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers are considering a hot-button measure that would make the state the 39th to require parents to be notified before their child gets an abortion.
- Some of the major bills approved by Oklahoma Legislature Updated: May-22-15 6:44 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Legislature wrapped up the 2015 legislative session on Friday, one week before its constitutionally mandated deadline, by passing dozens of last-minute measures. Among them are several related to the $7.1 billion state budget.
- Tennessee editorial roundup Updated: May-20-15 1:13 pm
Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers:
- SC Senate approves bill banning abortions after 19 weeks Updated: May-19-15 6:48 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The state Senate on Tuesday adopted a compromise on an anti-abortion bill, allowing the chamber to move on to road funding in the session's waning weeks.
- Abortion-rights supporter, ex-lawmaker named to health board Updated: May-15-15 5:05 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe has appointed an outspoken abortion-rights supporter and a former Democratic state lawmaker to the Virginia Board of Health.
- Louisiana House backs ban on abortions based on gender Updated: May-14-15 3:57 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana would prohibit abortions based on gender under a bill that won overwhelming, bipartisan passage Thursday from the state House despite questions about whether provisions that allow for lawsuits and damage claims go too far.
- Judge throws out part of suit against Louisiana abortion law Updated: May-12-15 7:28 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge ruled Tuesday that Louisiana's law requiring abortion clinic doctors to gain hospital admitting privileges could pose too great an obstacle to abortions even though there's a rational reason for the law.
- Demonstrators ask McCrory to stop new NC abortion bill Updated: May-11-15 7:52 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Abortion-rights advocates returned to the Executive Mansion on Monday to urge North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory to veto a bill, should it reach his desk, that would extend the waiting period for the procedure from 24 to 72 hours.
- Uruguayan judge refuses to order abortion for 11-year-old Updated: May-08-15 4:47 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - A judge in Uruguay has ruled it is not up to the courts to decide whether an 11-year-old mentally disabled girl has an abortion even though her mother sought its authorization.
- House Health Committee advances bills restricting abortions Updated: May-06-15 6:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The House Health Committee on Wednesday advanced a series of restrictions that opponents say would ban most abortions in the state.
- Ohio clinics close, abortions decline amid restrictions Updated: May-03-15 11:53 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The number of abortion providers in Ohio has shrunk by half amid a flurry of restrictive new laws over the past four years, and the number of the procedures also is declining, according to a review of records by The Associated Press.