- Doctor files complaint, says support for abortion silenced Updated: May-02-16 6:57 pm
WASHINGTON - A physician who performs abortions at a Washington hospital filed a federal civil rights complaint Monday alleging that she's been unfairly barred from speaking publicly about her view that abortion is an essential procedure for women's health.
- Arkansas Board of Health gives approval of abortion phrase Updated: Apr-29-16 1:50 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Arkansas Board of Health has given preliminary approval to regulations defining abortion as the "death of the unborn child," phrasing that the board attempted to remove from the rules earlier this year.
- House votes to ban second-trimester abortion procedure Updated: Apr-28-16 6:16 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - An effort to prohibit a commonly used second-trimester abortion procedure received overwhelming support Thursday from lawmakers in the Louisiana House.
- Louisiana House supports Planned Parenthood defunding bill Updated: Apr-27-16 6:23 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - An effort to strip Medicaid financing from Planned Parenthood if the organization starts performing abortions at its New Orleans clinic won the backing Wednesday of the Louisiana House.
- Want Viagra? SC bill requiring 24-hour wait on House floor Updated: Apr-27-16 12:30 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A lawmaker's symbolic proposal to make it almost as hard to get Viagra and other erectile dysfunction drugs in South Carolina as it is to get an abortion has made it to the floor of the Republican and male-dominated House.
- Activists pack license hearing for Ohio abortion clinic Updated: Apr-27-16 2:07 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Anti-abortion activists packed a hearing to determine the fate of an Ohio abortion clinic's license on Tuesday as the facility's operators argued they are meeting emergency requirements laid out in a 2013 law that has contributed to clinic closures around the state.
- Alabama Senate passes ban on abortion procedure Updated: Apr-26-16 6:21 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A bill to prohibit a commonly used second-trimester abortion procedure advanced in the Alabama legislature on Tuesday.
- Georgia governor OKs state funds for anti-abortion centers Updated: Apr-26-16 1:57 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia can give state money to "pregnancy resource centers" that offer medical and other services to pregnant women while discouraging them from getting abortions, under legislation signed Tuesday by Republican Gov. Nathan Deal.
- Oklahoma bill tying abortions to doctor licenses criticized Updated: Apr-25-16 5:39 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Of the pieces of anti-abortion legislation that Oklahoma lawmakers have considered this session, one that would strip doctors of their license to practice has abortion rights activists and the state's medical association balking.
- State pays millions to bar Medicaid from Planned Parenthood Updated: Apr-24-16 1:27 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers passed a budget last week that spends millions in state money to block Planned Parenthood from accessing federal funding.
- Aborted fetus taken to hospital not viable, police say Updated: Apr-22-16 9:21 am
PHOENIX - Phoenix police records show a fetus that was reported to have briefly survived an abortion was not viable and that appropriate procedures were followed.
- Legislature moves to repeal new law targeting abortion Updated: Apr-21-16 8:23 pm
PHOENIX - The Arizona Legislature is moving to repeal a law just signed by Gov. Doug Ducey and another one he signed last year that target abortions and appear to be indefensible in court.
- Want Viagra? Come back tomorrow with a note, lawmaker says Updated: Apr-20-16 6:16 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - If women have to wait 24 hours in South Carolina to get an abortion, men should have to do the same before they can get Viagra or other drugs to help them have sex, according to a tongue-in-cheek proposal discussed Wednesday.
- Abortion procedure challenged as 'torture' in Alabama Updated: Apr-20-16 4:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A commonly used second-trimester abortion procedure would be illegal under a new bill debated in the Alabama legislature on Wednesday.
- Wichita abortion opponent faces trial in threat case Updated: Apr-20-16 12:30 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A judge has spurned a last-ditch effort to throw out a lawsuit against an abortion opponent accused of sending a letter to a Wichita doctor saying someone might place an explosive under her car.
- Abortion of certain fetuses outlawed under Oklahoma bill Updated: Apr-19-16 7:20 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A bill that would prohibit abortions in Oklahoma due to a diagnosis of Down syndrome or a genetic abnormality has passed the Oklahoma Senate.
- Planned Parenthood abortion drug prescriptions net complaint Updated: Apr-19-16 6:02 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico's board of nursing is investigating a complaint that a Planned Parenthood nurse prescribed an abortion drug in violation of state law.
- Iowa Republicans propose to defund Planned Parenthood Updated: Apr-14-16 9:23 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Planned Parenthood in Iowa would have no state funding under a budget bill advanced Thursday by some House Republicans, but the proposal is not expected to have enough support in the Democratic-majority Senate.
- Poland's abortion debate risks shaking government, church Updated: Apr-13-16 7:09 am
WARSAW, Poland - As Poland's Catholic Church prepares to celebrate 1,050 years as the national faith, a call by its bishops for a total ban on abortion has embroiled the church in a divisive and potentially harmful debate.
- Bill that would limit Pennsylvania abortions left in limbo Updated: Apr-11-16 7:04 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A legislative proposal to place new limits on abortion in the state was left in limbo Monday after Republican House leaders pulled it from a final vote amid a veto warning from the Democratic governor.
- ACLU, Planned Parenthood sue Indiana over new abortion law Updated: Apr-08-16 8:48 am
- AG sues to close Detroit abortion clinic over ownership Updated: Apr-07-16 7:31 pm
DETROIT - The Michigan attorney general says a Detroit abortion clinic should be shut down because it's not run by a doctor.
- Arizona woman accused of faking cancer to get state abortion Updated: Apr-07-16 6:30 pm
PHOENIX - An Arizona woman accused of faking a cancer diagnosis in order to get state Medicaid funding to cover a late-term abortion genuinely believed she was sick, her defense attorney said Thursday.
- Court: Adviser who helped girl get abortion should keep job Updated: Apr-07-16 4:09 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A school guidance counselor who helped a 15-year-old girl get judicial approval for an abortion without telling her parents shouldn't have lost her job, the state's highest court ruled Thursday.
- The Latest: Pence says law constitutional despite lawsuit Updated: Apr-07-16 2:00 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on the lawsuit filed over the new Indiana abortion law (all times local):