- Expert: Wisconsin's 20-week abortion ban bill could backfire Updated: Jun-02-15 12:00 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - As the Wisconsin Legislature's health committees took up a fast-tracked bill Tuesday that would ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, a medical expert said the measure could prompt more early terminations.
- March of Dimes to announce new research center in Chicago Updated: Jun-02-15 4:11 am
CHICAGO - A leading nonprofit group is bringing together researchers at three medical institutions - including two in Chicago - to focus on how gene functions affect premature birth.
- Senate gives its final approval to expand NC abortion rules Updated: Jun-01-15 9:59 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Senate gave its final approval late Monday to additional rules surrounding abortion in North Carolina, primarily one extending the waiting period for a woman to obtain the procedure from 24 hours to 72 hours.
- Abortion-rights group challenges new Kansas restrictions Updated: Jun-01-15 5:12 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - An abortion-rights group challenged Kansas' first-in-the-nation ban on a second-trimester procedure that anti-abortion activists describe as dismembering a fetus.
- Walker backs 20-week abortion ban regardless of exemptions Updated: Jun-01-15 5:11 pm
DELAVAN, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker said Monday he will sign a proposed 20-week abortion ban whether or not it includes an exemption for cases of rape or incest.
- Proposal would cut Medicaid coverage for some pregnant women Updated: Jun-01-15 11:41 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - State senators are taking a hard look at a proposal in Republican Gov. John Kasich's budget that would eliminate Medicaid health coverage for certain pregnant women and others who the administration says can get insurance through the federal marketplace.
- Police say fetus found in sewage plant likely miscarried Updated: May-30-15 2:46 pm
WAILUKU, Hawaii - Police say a 7-inch-long fetus discovered at a Wailuku-Kahului sewage treatment plant was likely a miscarriage that could not have survived outside of its mother's womb.
- Newton mom sentenced following 12-year-daughter's pregnancy Updated: May-30-15 2:05 pm
NEWTON, Iowa - A Newton mother convicted of child endangerment after her 12-year-old daughter became pregnant is now serving a 10-day jail sentence in the case.
- Shocking ads ignite debate about abortion ban in Chile Updated: May-28-15 5:56 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The video shows a woman climbing a stairwell, her belly visibly pregnant, as she offers suggestions: Make sure there are no security cameras. Be careful not to look down or you might regret it.
- Prototype for 1st home pregnancy test going to auction Updated: May-28-15 12:08 pm
NEW YORK - The prototype for the first home pregnancy test is going on the auction block in New York City.
- Abortion ban based on heartbeat rejected by appeals court Updated: May-27-15 4:18 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A federal appeals court struck down one of the nation's toughest abortion restrictions on Wednesday, agreeing with a lower court that ruled an Arkansas law unconstitutionally burdens women by banning abortions after the 12th week of pregnancy if a doctor can detect a fetal heartbeat.
- Quadruplets born to 65-year-old mom still in critical phase Updated: May-27-15 9:47 am
BERLIN - Doctors say the week-old quadruplets born prematurely to 65-year-old Annegret Raunigk in Berlin are still in intensive care, but have been gaining a little weight and are being given their mother's milk through feeding tubes.
- California bill compels abortion notice at pregnancy centers Updated: May-26-15 7:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Californians who visit crisis pregnancy centers must know whether the facility is licensed and that abortion is an option under legislation advanced Tuesday by the state Assembly.
- Abortion parental notification bill draws heated testimony Updated: May-25-15 7:43 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers are considering a hot-button measure that would make the state the 39th to require parents to be notified before their child gets an abortion.
- Some of the major bills approved by Oklahoma Legislature Updated: May-22-15 6:44 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Legislature wrapped up the 2015 legislative session on Friday, one week before its constitutionally mandated deadline, by passing dozens of last-minute measures. Among them are several related to the $7.1 billion state budget.
- Tennessee editorial roundup Updated: May-20-15 1:13 pm
Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers:
- SC Senate approves bill banning abortions after 19 weeks Updated: May-19-15 6:48 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The state Senate on Tuesday adopted a compromise on an anti-abortion bill, allowing the chamber to move on to road funding in the session's waning weeks.
- Pioneer in spreading Lamaze childbirth method in US dies Updated: May-16-15 7:55 pm
NEW YORK - When Elisabeth Bing became interested in childbirth techniques in the 1950s, women were often heavily medicated, dads were generally nowhere near the delivery room and expectant parents had far less information than many do today.
- Abortion-rights supporter, ex-lawmaker named to health board Updated: May-15-15 5:05 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe has appointed an outspoken abortion-rights supporter and a former Democratic state lawmaker to the Virginia Board of Health.
- Louisiana House backs ban on abortions based on gender Updated: May-14-15 3:57 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana would prohibit abortions based on gender under a bill that won overwhelming, bipartisan passage Thursday from the state House despite questions about whether provisions that allow for lawsuits and damage claims go too far.
- House approves GOP bill banning most late-term abortions Updated: May-13-15 7:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans finally won House approval Wednesday for a late-term abortion ban after dropping rape provisions that provoked a rebellion by female GOP lawmakers, forcing party leaders into an embarrassing retreat.
- Judge throws out part of suit against Louisiana abortion law Updated: May-12-15 7:28 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge ruled Tuesday that Louisiana's law requiring abortion clinic doctors to gain hospital admitting privileges could pose too great an obstacle to abortions even though there's a rational reason for the law.
- Demonstrators ask McCrory to stop new NC abortion bill Updated: May-11-15 7:52 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Abortion-rights advocates returned to the Executive Mansion on Monday to urge North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory to veto a bill, should it reach his desk, that would extend the waiting period for the procedure from 24 to 72 hours.
- New blood tests, liquid biopsies, may transform cancer care Updated: May-11-15 3:37 pm
A new type of blood test is starting to transform cancer treatment, sparing some patients the surgical and needle biopsies long needed to guide their care.
- Uruguayan judge refuses to order abortion for 11-year-old Updated: May-08-15 4:47 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - A judge in Uruguay has ruled it is not up to the courts to decide whether an 11-year-old mentally disabled girl has an abortion even though her mother sought its authorization.