- Rhode Island Foundation awards community-building grants Updated: Apr-30-16 1:48 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Foundation has awarded $500,000 in grants for local community-building projects.
- Fargo looking for volunteers to help during Cleanup Week Updated: Apr-30-16 11:22 am
FARGO, North Dakota - Fargo is looking for volunteers to help spruce up the community by picking up litter in residential neighborhoods and public spaces.
- Ohio invests in opening recovery houses for heroin addicts Updated: Apr-30-16 9:52 am
DAYTON, Ohio - When residents of the Ome Garden neighborhood got word of plans for moving recovering drug addicts into a vacant house, they didn't like what they were hearing.
- $21 million project links 20 miles of Detroit pathways Updated: Apr-29-16 5:52 pm
DETROIT - A $21 million project linking 20 miles of walking, running and biking paths in Detroit has wrapped up as part of an effort to boost recreation activities, better connect redeveloping neighborhoods and spur growth.
- State program helps Nevada families purchase homes Updated: Apr-29-16 2:23 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The state is helping more Nevada residents own property by offering grants for down payments to qualifying families.
- Providence budget proposal calls for $20M spending increase Updated: Apr-28-16 12:47 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza has proposed a nearly $717 million city budget that includes reductions in residential and commercial property tax rates.
- Average US rate on 30-year mortgage rises to 3.66 percent Updated: Apr-28-16 11:58 am
WASHINGTON - Long-term U.S. mortgage rates rose this week, lifting from their 2016 lows but remaining historically low during the spring home-buying season.
- Authorities investigate death near Missouri vacation home Updated: Apr-28-16 7:20 am
MACKS CREEK, Missouri - Authorities are investigating after a person was found dead near a central Missouri vacation home.
- Home long thought to be Monroe's turns out to be guest house Updated: Apr-28-16 4:16 am
For decades, a modest farmhouse in central Virginia was thought to be what remained of President James Monroe's home in Charlottesville, Virginia. It turns out, historians were wrong.
- Rhode Island sees record home sales in 1st quarter of 2016 Updated: Apr-27-16 4:06 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A nonprofit group that tracks the housing market says more single-family homes were sold in Rhode Island during the first quarter of 2016 than during any other first quarter in three decades.
- Kokomo officials pass measure aimed at limiting police calls Updated: Apr-27-16 2:50 pm
KOKOMO, Indiana - In an effort to limit unnecessary calls to the Kokomo Police Department, local officials have decided to impose fines on property owners who frequently rely on officers to resolve small issues.
- Lawyers ask for halt to execution; say convict was young Updated: Apr-26-16 6:24 pm
ATLANTA - Lawyers for a Georgia death row inmate scheduled to die this week are asking a court to halt his execution, arguing the death penalty was inappropriate because of his youth and lack of maturity at the time of his crime.
- Ohio bill would restore rare coins sales tax exemption Updated: Apr-26-16 11:50 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A legislative committee is continuing to consider a bill that would restore a sales tax exemption for residents purchasing rare coins and precious metal bullion.
- Massachusetts single-family home, condo sales soar in March Updated: Apr-26-16 10:49 am
BOSTON - More single-family homes were sold in Massachusetts last month than in any March since 2004, according to one group that tracks the market.
- US home prices rise at solid pace, even with flat sales Updated: Apr-26-16 9:34 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. home prices continued their steady upward march in February as buyers competed for a limited number of available properties.
- Gas leak in 15-story Dallas building sends 3 to hospital Updated: Apr-26-16 9:21 am
DALLAS - Experts are trying to pinpoint a gas leak in a 15-story residential building in downtown Dallas that sent three people to a hospital.
- HGTV's 'Fixer Upper' is must see TV for its growing fan base Updated: Apr-25-16 6:37 pm
NEW YORK - With all the joking and hamming for the camera that Chip Gaines does on "Fixer Upper," it's hard to believe that he initially was the shy half of the husband-and-wife duo that's garnered huge fans and ratings for HGTV.
- Time Warner Cable deal gets OK, with online video conditions Updated: Apr-25-16 6:35 pm
NEW YORK - Federal regulators will impose several conditions meant to protect online video services as they back Charter's bid to buy Time Warner Cable and create the country's second-largest home Internet provider.
- US new-home sales fall in March for third straight month Updated: Apr-25-16 11:25 am
WASHINGTON - Americans stepped back from buying new homes in March, the third straight monthly decline as sales plunged sharply in the Western states.
- Single-family home sales in Rhode Island soar 23 percent Updated: Apr-25-16 7:35 am
WARWICK, Rhode Island - The number of single-family homes sold in Rhode Island in March shot up by 23 percent when compared to the same month a year ago.
- Earthquake report spurs retrofitting in Utah, Nevada Updated: Apr-24-16 1:11 pm
RENO, Nevada - A new report raising the likelihood of a destructive earthquake striking Salt Lake City in the next half century has underscored the urgency to retrofit more than 30,000 older brick homes and other unreinforced buildings at high risk of collapsing.
- Nearly 140-year-old hotel in Maquoketa undergoes renovation Updated: Apr-24-16 11:19 am
MAQUOKETA, Iowa - Mary McAreavy Lewis paused and glanced up the grand staircase, her hand resting on the polished wooden banister.
- Atlantic City grapples with how family-friendly it should be Updated: Apr-23-16 11:37 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - On a sunny Sunday in spring, three generations and three branches of Pam Moody's family went to have fun at Gillian's Wonderland Pier on the Ocean City Boardwalk.
- Giant sinkhole opens in San Francisco neighborhood Updated: Apr-22-16 5:52 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - An enormous sinkhole has opened up in a San Francisco residential neighborhood after a large sewer line broke beneath the street.
- Tiger wearing collar with leash caught in South Texas city Updated: Apr-22-16 5:10 pm
CONROE, Texas - Animal control officers have captured an apparently domesticated tiger that was spotted roaming a residential neighborhood in a South Texas city.