- Man pleads guilty over shot outside military recruiting site Updated: Jul-29-15 7:32 am
LANCASTER, Ohio - A civilian who accidentally fired a shot from an AR-15 rifle outside an Ohio military recruiting center while trying to guard it has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge.
- Iraqi militias train young teens to face the threat of IS Updated: Jul-28-15 10:41 am
BAGHDAD - In the steamy Baghdad night, sweat poured down the faces of the Iraqi teens as they marched around a school courtyard, training for battle against the Islamic State group.
- Recent editorials published in Indiana newspapers Updated: Jul-28-15 8:08 am
The Herald Times (Bloomington). July 23, 2015
- Armed guards to be placed at Ala military recruiting centers Updated: Jul-27-15 7:10 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley has ordered armed national guardsmen to be stationed at military recruitment centers.
- Chattanooga mayor issues order to protect shooting sites Updated: Jul-24-15 4:05 am
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke has issued an order to keep protesters away from the sites of last week's shootings as well as funeral processions and funeral services.
- Miss. National Guard recruiters returning to 10 sites Updated: Jul-23-15 8:22 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi National Guard says its recruiters are returning to 10 storefront recruiting centers early next week.
- Armed civilians stand guard outside SD recruiting center Updated: Jul-23-15 5:43 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Armed civilians stood guard Thursday outside a busy military recruiting center in South Dakota, a volunteer effort to protect recruiters following last week's killing of four Marines and a sailor in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Unarmed troops scrambled to get away from Chattanooga gunman Updated: Jul-23-15 3:43 pm
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - Three to five minutes was all it took 24-year-old Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez to punch through a gate with his rented Ford Mustang and blast his way into a Navy-Marine reserve center, killing four Marines and mortally wounding a sailor.
- Armed civilians guard military recruiting station Updated: Jul-22-15 10:47 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - A half-dozen armed civilians stood guard outside a military recruiting station in Colorado Springs, about a week after a gunman killed four Marines and a sailor in attacks on two military sites in Tennessee.
- Navy Week celebrates North Dakota contributions to military Updated: Jul-22-15 5:48 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - The roar of the Blue Angels fighter jets flying into Fargo may have been the loudest announcement for Navy Week, but more subtle efforts to promote the military were being held on the ground Wednesday.
- Armed citizens guard recruiters after Tennessee shootings Updated: Jul-22-15 5:41 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Gun-toting citizens are showing up at military recruiting centers around the country, saying they plan to protect recruiters following last week's killing of four Marines and a sailor in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Some armed citizens guard military recruiters in Texas Updated: Jul-22-15 3:50 pm
CLEBURNE, Texas - Some volunteers in Texas have taken up arms to protect U.S. military recruiting sites after five servicemen were slain last week in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: Jul-22-15 3:41 pm
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers:
- Man jailed for having gun at La. military recruiting office Updated: Jul-22-15 2:32 pm
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - Police in Shreveport say a man has been arrested after bringing an unloaded handgun to a military recruiting station.
- Rifle-toting men guard Washington recruiting office Updated: Jul-22-15 12:05 pm
TACOMA, Washington - Following last week's killing of four Marines and a sailor in Chattanooga, Tennessee, two citizens grabbed their AR-15 rifles, took personal days from work and stood guard in front of the Army recruiting office in Spanaway, Washington.
- Va. governor asks for more patrols at recruiting centers Updated: Jul-22-15 2:04 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe has asked Virginia State Police to increase patrols around military recruiting centers.
- Michigan Guard boosts security, won't require armed staff Updated: Jul-21-15 9:29 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The commander of Michigan's National Guard said Tuesday that additional security measures have been adopted after last week's fatal attack at two Tennessee military facilities, but he stopped short of a lawmaker's call for arming all on-duty personnel.
- Armed Army veteran says he's protecting recruiting office Updated: Jul-21-15 7:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An armed Army veteran says he's doing what he can to protect a military recruiting center in Des Moines.
- Veterans protest military recruiting center gun ban Updated: Jul-21-15 11:24 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - A group of veterans has been gathering outside of a Madison military recruitment center to protest a law barring active-duty members who work at such sites from being armed.
- US general: Some recruiting station soldiers should be armed Updated: Jul-21-15 11:09 am
WASHINGTON - The general tapped to be the next Army chief of staff said Tuesday that if legal issues could be resolved he thinks it would be appropriate, in some cases, to arm soldiers manning recruiting stations.
- Wisconsin governor orders Guard members to arm themselves Updated: Jul-21-15 10:12 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican Gov. Scott Walker has issued an executive order allowing Wisconsin National Guard's adjutant general to arm his troops in the wake of an attack on a pair of military facilities in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Armed volunteers guarding Dothan military recruiting offices Updated: Jul-21-15 5:02 am
DOTHAN, Alabama - A group of armed volunteers have started standing guard outside military recruiters' offices in Dothan.
- Armed volunteers guard Murfreesboro recruiting center Updated: Jul-21-15 4:19 am
MURFREESBORO, Tennessee - Armed volunteers stood guard outside a military recruiting office in Murfreesboro on Monday.
- Bryant OKs Mississippi Guard to arm personnel Updated: Jul-20-15 7:28 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi National Guard now has the authority to arm its personnel at state military facilities after last week's shooting in Tennessee that killed five service members.
- Branstad seeks review of security at National Guard sites Updated: Jul-20-15 5:26 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad asked the Iowa National Guard on Monday to review security at its facilities after last week's shooting in Chattanooga, Tennessee.