- Leftists block Catalan leader's bid to head regional govt Updated: Nov-30-15 7:50 am
MADRID - Efforts by the acting president of Spain's powerful northeastern Catalonia region to form a pro-independence regional government have been dealt another blow as the radical pro-secession CUP party reaffirmed its opposition to his candidacy.
- Egypt says 30 percent turnout in 2nd round of voting Updated: Nov-25-15 3:28 pm
CAIRO - Turnout in the second round of Egypt's parliamentary elections was nearly 30 percent, authorities said Wednesday, with the vote expected to result in a rubber-stamp body loyal to President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi.
- Poland's ruling party announces makeup of Cabinet Updated: Nov-09-15 12:07 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's conservative Law and Justice party announced the makeup of its new government Monday, with a moderate prime minister surrounded by a Cabinet that is very pro-American and suspicious of Russia.
- Croatian opposition conservatives win general election Updated: Nov-09-15 5:43 am
ZAGREB, Croatia - Croatia's conservative opposition has won the Balkan country's first parliamentary election since joining the European Union in 2013, but without enough votes to rule alone and with tough government negotiations looming.
- Portugal's radicals move to heart of power after debt crisis Updated: Nov-06-15 5:49 am
LISBON, Portugal - Die-hard communists are poised to walk the corridors of power in Portugal, and a new generation of leftist radicals is right beside them.
- US seeks validation of democratic reforms as Myanmar votes Updated: Nov-06-15 3:08 am
WASHINGTON - The United States is troubled by religious discrimination and the Myanmar military's grip on politics as the nation heads into landmark elections Sunday that are an acid test of its democratic reforms. But for the Obama administration, the question is no longer whether to engage the former pariah state. It's about how deep the relationship should be.
- The Latest: Thousands protest in Romania for 3rd day running Updated: Nov-05-15 3:37 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - The latest on the fallout from a fire at a Bucharest nightclub on Friday that left more than 30 dead. All times local.
- Turkey: Erdogan to revive bid for executive president Updated: Nov-04-15 8:39 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey could hold a referendum on constitutional changes for a new political system, reviving a highly contentious push to increase the powers of the president, an aide to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday
- Backlash against Muslims casts shadow over Myanmar election Updated: Nov-03-15 5:59 am
YANGON, Myanmar - The monk's hate-filled speeches have become a part of life in Myanmar. His fringe movement has moved into the mainstream. And now he has a new target: the once-untouchable Aung San Suu Kyi, who he says has failed to stand up against the threat he says Muslims pose to this country and its Buddhist values.
- Analysis: Erdogan buoyed by election, faces challenges Updated: Nov-02-15 2:45 pm
ISTANBUL - The surprising margin of victory for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's party in parliamentary elections marks a remarkable turnaround and puts him firmly in control of Turkish politics.
- The Latest: Turkey's nationalist party head stays after vote Updated: Nov-01-15 4:56 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest as tens of millions of Turkish voters cast ballots in a contest that will determine whether the ruling party can restore the parliamentary majority it had enjoyed for over a decade. All times are local.
- Azerbaijan holds parliamentary vote amid free speech limits Updated: Nov-01-15 2:12 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Voters in the oil-rich Caspian Sea nation of Azerbaijan cast ballots Sunday in a parliamentary election that is expected to secure the ruling party's dominance.