- Hackers strike at data of thousands of Catholic workers Updated: Aug-29-15 1:37 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Hackers cracked a computer network and got access to Social Security numbers and other personal information of more than 10,000 people who work for Roman Catholic churches or church affiliates around Michigan.
- UK prosecutors mull charges for News Corp. over hacking Updated: Aug-29-15 7:16 am
LONDON - British prosecutors say they are considering corporate charges against Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. over phone hacking at the now-defunct News of the World tabloid.
- Cyber-attacks on Overstock.com lead to federal charges Updated: Aug-28-15 4:29 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Federal prosecutors have charged an Israeli man they say tried to hack into the servers at Overstock.com, causing an estimated $450,000 in damage.
- Rutgers University hires 3 cybersecurity firms Updated: Aug-24-15 3:44 pm
NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey - Rutgers University has hired three cybersecurity firms to protect its computer networks after they were hacked at least four times during the past school year.
- Ashley Madison faces $578M Canadian class-action lawsuit Updated: Aug-21-15 7:14 pm
TORONTO - Two Canadian law firms have filed a $578 million class-action lawsuit against the companies that run Ashley Madison after a hacker group's data breach exposed some 39 million memberships in the adultery website earlier this week.
- Experts: Deleted online information never actually goes away Updated: Aug-21-15 12:46 pm
NEW YORK - The Ashley Madison hack is a big reminder to all Web users: If you submit private data online, chances are it will never fully be deleted.
- Arizona govt workers among exposed in cheating site hack Updated: Aug-20-15 6:29 pm
PHOENIX - More than two dozen email addresses belonging to Arizona state and city employees were among the millions posted this week by hackers of cheating website Ashley Madison.
- Cities, counties investigate email links to cheating website Updated: Aug-20-15 9:41 am
ATLANTA - Several Georgia governments are investigating after city, county and state agency email addresses were found in data hackers say they exposed from a website used by people trying to cheat on their spouses, officials said.
- Police investigate Concord charter school computer hack Updated: Aug-18-15 10:25 am
CONCORD, California - Authorities are investigating an email sent by a hacker to Contra Costa County officials notifying them of possible corruption at a Concord charter school.
- 3rd lawsuit filed against medical company over data hack Updated: Aug-13-15 8:05 am
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - A third lawsuit seeking class action status has been filed against a Fort Wayne-based medical software company over a data breach involving patient information.
- The Latest: Man, son face fraud charges in hack-trade scheme Updated: Aug-11-15 6:15 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The latest on charges against Ukrainian hackers accused of working with American securities traders to hack into the computer systems of companies that publish news releases and trade on the information (all times local):
- Correction: Ecuador-Hacking The Opposition story Updated: Aug-07-15 3:35 pm
LIMA, Peru - In a story Aug. 6 about Ecuador and digital surveillance, The Associated Press erroneously reported the number of electronic devices infected by the government's spy agency with a company's software, based on a computer screenshot. The screenshot shows 13 devices were either infected or targeted for infection, not that 13 were infected.
- Airline technology firm Sabre investigating computer breach Updated: Aug-07-15 12:34 pm
DALLAS - A spate of recent computer-system breaches has spread into the travel industry, hitting a company that provides technology used for airline and hotel reservations.
- Homeland official asks Black Hat crowd to build trust Updated: Aug-06-15 8:53 pm
LAS VEGAS - A top Obama administration official says the government and the data security community need to focus on building trust so information about cyber threats can be shared between them for the greater good.
- Automakers trying to prevent hackers from commandeering cars Updated: Aug-05-15 1:05 pm
DETROIT - When researchers at two West Coast universities took control of a General Motors car through cellular and Bluetooth connections in 2010, they startled the auto industry by exposing a glaring security gap.
- Medical data hack could include Indiana University employees Updated: Aug-05-15 8:10 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - The personal information of Indiana University employees on school-sponsored health plans may have been among those leaked in a hack of a Fort Wayne medical software company.
- Maker of hacked radio says system is unique to Fiat Chrysler Updated: Aug-04-15 6:13 pm
DETROIT - The company that makes car radios that friendly hackers exploited to take control of a Jeep Cherokee says its other infotainment systems don't have the same security flaw.
- Indiana medical software company hack affected 3.9M people Updated: Aug-03-15 5:01 pm
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - An Indiana medical software company has reported the private information of 3.9 million people nationwide was exposed when its networks were hacked earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said Monday.