- Guatemala ends search for victims of slide that killed 280 Updated: Oct-13-15 3:42 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemalan authorities on Tuesday called off the search for victims buried under a massive landslide that killed at least 280 people near the Central American nation's capital.
- Police: Child apparently wasn't in carjacked vehicle Updated: Oct-13-15 12:53 pm
DAYTON, Ohio - Police say an initial report that a 2-year-old child was in a car that was allegedly carjacked apparently was false and they have called off their search in southwest Ohio.
- 3 hikers rescued in the Sierra Nevada Updated: Oct-13-15 12:18 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Three hikers are recovering after spending a blustery, cold night huddled together on the side of a rocky outcropping in the Sierra Nevada.
- Human skull found south of San Francisco Updated: Oct-13-15 9:24 am
LOS GATOS, California - Authorities say a hiker found a human skull in a rural area south of San Francisco.
- Ohio hiker who fell ill rescued from dense Indiana forest Updated: Oct-13-15 8:58 am
HENRYVILLE, Indiana - Rescuers navigated heavily wooded terrain before carrying an Ohio woman to safety after she fell ill while hiking in a southern Indiana state forest.
- Rescuers find passenger alive after Indonesia chopper crash Updated: Oct-13-15 8:55 am
MEDAN, Indonesia - A helicopter crash survivor was found floating on plants in Indonesia's largest lake Tuesday and told rescuers the four other people on board also survived by jumping before the craft hit the water Sunday.
- 2 missing after home monitoring signals go dead Updated: Oct-13-15 8:37 am
BALTIMORE - Authorities are searching for two Baltimore inmates on home detention after their monitoring signals went dead.
- High waves hamper search for man in Nebraska reservoir Updated: Oct-13-15 8:29 am
BURWELL, Nebraska - High waves have hampered the search for a man reported missing after a boat sank into Calamus (KAL'-uh-muhs) Reservoir in central Nebraska.
- Resort community dealing with loss of 3 friends Updated: Oct-13-15 7:15 am
BAUDETTE, Minnesota - Residents of a small resort community near the Canadian border say the loss of three young men in the Lake of the Woods is puzzling because all were fishing guides who were familiar with the changing waters.
- 5 NYPD officers hospitalized after burning building rescue Updated: Oct-13-15 5:20 am
NEW YORK - Officials say five NYPD officers were hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation after rescuing two men - one in a wheelchair - from a burning building in Queens.
- Canadian, US crews plan search exercises near Traverse City Updated: Oct-13-15 4:01 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The U.S. Coast Guard's Air Station Traverse City is teaming with members of the Royal Canadian Air Force for a search-and-rescue exercise in the Traverse City area.
- Massachusetts family to be billed after New Hampshire rescue Updated: Oct-13-15 3:25 am
STRATFORD, New Hampshire - Officials say a Massachusetts family is receiving a bill after a mountain rescue in New Hampshire.
- Coast Guard rescues missing diver in New Jersey Updated: Oct-12-15 11:04 pm
BELMAR, New Jersey - The Coast Guard has rescued a 16-year-old girl who went missing from her dive group in the Shark River Inlet.
- Injured climber rescued off of Mt. Washington Updated: Oct-12-15 7:33 pm
SISTERS, Oregon - Authorities in Linn County have rescued an injured climber from Mount Washington after she spent the night on the mountain in below freezing temperatures.
- Coast Guard rescues boater adrift for 5 days off Hawaii Updated: Oct-12-15 2:40 pm
HONOLULU - The Coast Guard says a man who had been adrift for five days on storm-damaged catamaran was rescued near the Hawaiian island of Kauai.
- Rip current at Southern California beach leads to 6 rescues Updated: Oct-12-15 12:08 pm
PORT HUENEME, California - Rescuers pulled six people from the ocean after adults jumped in to save a girl caught in a rip current at a Southern California beach.
- Hiker rescued on Mount Washington Updated: Oct-12-15 7:47 am
PINKHAM NOTCH, New Hampshire - New Hampshire Fish and Game officers say a hiker who didn't have a ticket for a train that takes visitors to and from Mount Washington twisted his ankle while walking back and took shelter in a hut that was closed for the season.
- Auburn man rescued from railroad tracks buys new wheelchair Updated: Oct-12-15 6:22 am
AUBURN, Illinois - A 75-year-old central Illinois man who was rescued from a railroad crossing last month has used nearly $2,000 in donations to purchase a new motorized wheelchair.
- Swimmer drowns at Sacramento River confluence Updated: Oct-12-15 6:15 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Authorities say a 19-year-old man has drowned after being submerged in Sacramento river waters near Tiscornia Beach.
- Employee's arm trapped in grocery store drain for 2 hours Updated: Oct-11-15 9:22 pm
NEWBERG, Oregon - Rescuers used concrete drills and jack hammers to free an employee whose arm got caught in a floor drain at a Fred Meyer store in Newberg.
- Vermont police rescue 2 hikers, including longtime rep Updated: Oct-11-15 10:31 am
GROTON, Vermont - Vermont state police say a longtime state representative and her husband were rescued early Sunday morning after failing to return from a hike.
- Authorities search for man missing after he dived into lake Updated: Oct-11-15 2:13 am
PAGE, Arizona - Authorities are searching for a 28-year-old man from Jackson, Wyoming, who disappeared after he jumped from a 90-foot cliff into Lake Powell.
- Father, son rescued from water near Oakley marina Updated: Oct-10-15 12:23 pm
OAKLEY, California - The Coast Guard is crediting a Good Samaritan with helping to rescue two people from an overturned vessel near a marina in Oakley.
- Authorities recover vehicles used by man wanted in homicide Updated: Oct-10-15 11:26 am
KENOSHA, Wisconsin - Law enforcement officers have recovered three vehicles believed driven by a man wanted for a suspected homicide in Kenosha County. But the suspect remains at large.
- Con Ed worker rescues toddler from Bronx window ledge Updated: Oct-10-15 11:10 am
NEW YORK - A Con Edison worker rescued a toddler who was in danger of falling from a window ledge in the Bronx.