- Ex-South Texas magistrate gets prison for extortion Updated: Aug-28-15 5:29 pm
LAREDO, Texas - A former South Texas justice of the peace has been sentenced to more than 3 years in federal prison after pleading guilty to extortion and admitting to taking a bribe from a bail bondsman.
- Ex-Arkansas treasurer gets 2 ½ years in prison Updated: Aug-28-15 4:13 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Former Arkansas Treasurer Martha Shoffner was sentenced to 2 ½ years in prison on Friday following her conviction last year on federal bribery and extortion charges.
- The Latest: Judge had difficult decision, US attorney says Updated: Aug-28-15 2:38 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The latest on the sentencing of former Arkansas treasurer Martha Shoffner (all times local):
- 2 French journalists accused of blackmailing Morocco's king Updated: Aug-28-15 1:59 pm
PARIS - Two French journalists known for their critical writings about Moroccan King Mohammed VI have been arrested in France for allegedly trying to blackmail the monarch, according to his lawyer and the prosecutor's office.
- Officials: Student, 13, who made threats taken into custody Updated: Aug-28-15 6:49 am
ROEBUCK, South Carolina - A 13-year-old student has been charged with disturbing a school after officials say he verbally threatened to shoot several students at a Spartanburg County high school.
- Student charged in university threats, will be evaluated Updated: Aug-27-15 7:50 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A student who Mississippi State University officials say threatened to kill himself and others will face misdemeanor disorderly conduct charges and has been referred for a mental and psychological evaluation.
- Feds take case of 'dark' humor preschool threat on Facebook Updated: Aug-26-15 3:19 pm
PITTSBURGH - A 19-year-old Pennsylvania man faces federal charges over a Facebook post threatening to kill preschool children even after telling investigators he merely has a dark sense of humor and didn't plan to carry out the threat.
- Authorities find letters from prison threatening 3 officers Updated: Aug-25-15 7:17 am
CRANSTON, Rhode Island - Authorities in Rhode Island are investigating after two anonymous letters were sent from a state prison threatening to kill three corrections officers and other staff.
- 2 men held without bail for alleged threats to Pokemon event Updated: Aug-24-15 4:57 pm
BOSTON - Two men from Iowa made online threats against Pokemon competitors - referring to the Boston Marathon bombings and the Columbine High School massacre - then drove 25 hours to Boston, where they were stopped as they tried to register for the World Pokemon Championships, police said Monday.
- Police: Man shot by police had threatened to kill wife Updated: Aug-24-15 2:49 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - Police say a man was fatally shot after he fired at an officer during a domestic dispute in Jacksonville.
- LA County man charged with 150 counts of pornography extortion Updated: Aug-21-15 11:40 pm
LOS ANGELES - A 19-year-old Los Angeles County man has pleaded not guilty to more than 150 counts of pornography extortion after authorities say he tricked teenage girls into sending him nude photos.
- Chicago man pleads guilty to SIU bomb threats Updated: Aug-21-15 4:38 am
BENTON, Illinois - A 22-year-old Chicago man has pleaded guilty to four federal charges connected to making bomb threats in a self-declared "war" on Southern Illinois University in Carbondale.
- Police: Man, 64, threatened to send bomb to business Updated: Aug-21-15 3:22 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A 64-year-old man was arrested after police say he threatened to send a bomb to a business in downtown Hartford.
- 1980s 'preppy rapist' Alex Kelly now a skydiving instructor Updated: Aug-20-15 11:44 am
ELLINGTON, Connecticut - Alex Kelly gained international infamy as the "preppy rapist" two decades ago while living an adrenaline-fueled life as a jet-set fugitive in Europe - skiing, hang gliding and mountain climbing before surrendering to face rape charges in Connecticut.
- FBI offers reward in 2 bank extortion cases Updated: Aug-20-15 10:59 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - The FBI says it is offering up to $20,000 for information that leads to the arrests of suspects in two East Tennessee bank extortion cases that involved kidnappings.
- Feds: Man arrested for hoax bomb threat at Statue of Liberty Updated: Aug-19-15 6:37 pm
NEW YORK - A man who used the name of a 1993 World Trade Center bombing conspirator and threatened to "blow up" the Statue of Liberty in April, forcing the evacuation of Liberty Island, has been arrested, federal authorities announced Wednesday.
- Prosecutors face challenge convicting police officers Updated: Aug-19-15 6:02 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Prosecutors will have a tough time winning murder convictions against a New Mexico police officer and a retired detective in the on-duty killing of a homeless man - despite video that appears to show the man surrendering, experts said Wednesday.
- Ex-US State Dept. employee accused of cyberstalking indicted Updated: Aug-19-15 4:55 pm
ATLANTA - A grand jury has indicted a former U.S. State Department employee accused of sending threatening emails to college-aged women in the U.S. from his computer at the U.S. Embassy in London.
- Police: Store employee made threat to get out of work early Updated: Aug-19-15 7:43 am
WILLIAMSTOWN, Massachusetts - A Vermont woman and her friend have been charged with making a fake bomb threat to the western Massachusetts supermarket where she was employed so she could get out of work early.
- Reputed mobster granted vacation request by federal judge Updated: Aug-19-15 5:34 am
NEW YORK - A reputed mobster who allegedly extorted a 71-year-old Staten Island man has been granted permission to take a vacation in Pennsylvania while awaiting prosecution on racketeering charges.
- Ohio man accused of threatening Boehner has new hearing date Updated: Aug-19-15 4:06 am
CINCINNATI - A mental assessment hearing has been rescheduled for October for a former Cincinnati-area bartender found not guilty by reason of insanity of threats to kill House Speaker John Boehner (BAY'-nur).
- Man pleads guilty to charges for extorting nude photos Updated: Aug-18-15 5:49 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - A Madison man has pleaded guilty to charges of making threats and stalking for trying to extort women he met online to send him nude photos of themselves.
- Grandview businessman sentenced to 6 years for extortion Updated: Aug-17-15 2:36 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The owner of a suburban Kansas City lawn care company has been sentenced to six years in federal prison for a $3 million extortion and money-laundering scheme.
- Thai court finds Swiss man guilty of blackmailing oil firm Updated: Aug-17-15 8:01 am
BANGKOK - A Thai court on Monday sentenced a Swiss man to three years in prison after convicting him of blackmailing his former employer, a Saudi oil exploration company, by threatening to reveal stolen documents.
- Albuquerque man arrested on suspicion of attempt rape Updated: Aug-16-15 5:59 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Authorities say an Albuquerque man has been arrested on allegations that he threatened to kill a woman and attempted to rape her while he held against her will in her apartment for six days.