- California man fakes kidnapping to extort father's money Updated: Jun-01-16 12:44 am
FRESNO, California - Two Fresno men have been arrested after authorities determined one faked his own kidnapping to try to extort money from his father.
- The Latest: Assembly OKs disclosing state's hedge funds fees Updated: May-31-16 10:19 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on action in the California Legislature (all times local):
- Arrest for Facebook threat against marine patrol officer Updated: May-29-16 10:01 pm
MCHENRY, Mississippi - Authorities say they've arrested a Mississippi man accused of using Facebook to threaten a state marine patrol officer who had ticketed him for careless driving and driving without proof of insurance.
- The Latest: Armed man shot and killed by Albuquerque police Updated: May-29-16 2:50 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Latest on the shooting of an armed man at an Albuquerque home (all times local):
- Man accused of attacking Kansas City animal control officer Updated: May-27-16 6:16 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A Kansas City, Missouri, man is accused of assaulting a female city animal control officer and leading police on a pursuit.
- Lawrence police officer charged with extorting cocaine Updated: May-27-16 5:49 pm
BOSTON - A Lawrence police officer has been charged with attempting to use his position to extort cocaine from a drug dealer.
- Montana man accused of terrorizing North Dakota hotel clerk Updated: May-27-16 11:24 am
WILLISTON, North Dakota - A Billings, Montana, man is accused of threatening to shoot an employee at a hotel in Williston, North Dakota.
- State agency threatens to shut down Atlanta streetcar Updated: May-27-16 4:38 am
ATLANTA - State transportation authorities have threatened to shut down the Atlanta Streetcar next month unless the city resolves dozens of problems outlined in recent audits.
- Nevada political consultant accused of extorting lawmaker Updated: May-26-16 9:19 pm
LAS VEGAS - A Nevada political consultant was indicted in Las Vegas on a variety of charges that include extortion, perjury and filing a false document.
- Prison guards accuse of smuggling drugs, phones to inmates Updated: May-26-16 5:33 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Federal prosecutors have charged two Delaware prison guards with smuggling drugs and cellphones to inmates at the maximum security prison in Smyrna in return for bribes.
- Former sheriff surrenders on extortion, kidnapping charges Updated: May-26-16 4:03 pm
DENVER - A former Colorado sheriff has surrendered after he was indicted on charges including extortion, false imprisonment, second-degree kidnapping and official misconduct.
- Jury indicts former El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa Updated: May-25-16 10:59 pm
DENVER - A grand jury on Wednesday indicted former El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa on several charges, including extortion, false imprisonment, kidnapping and official misconduct.
- Kansas City police shoot, wound woman after standoff Updated: May-25-16 7:34 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Kansas City, Missouri, police say an officer shot and wounded a woman they say pointed a gun at them during a standoff in a car.
- Man charged with posing as football player to extort woman Updated: May-25-16 7:14 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A Tennessee man has been arrested on charges that he attempted to extort a woman by posing as a University of Tennessee football player on Snapchat.
- Teen pleads not guilty to threat against military personnel Updated: May-24-16 6:47 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A teenager accused earlier of trying to assist the Islamic State group has pleaded not guilty to accusations he tweeted out the names and addresses of military personnel with threats of violence.
- Prosecutors want to keep evidence confidential in Bundy case Updated: May-24-16 4:26 pm
LAS VEGAS - Federal prosecutors in Las Vegas fear that backers of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy would use names and information disclosed in evidence to target court officials and intimidate witnesses in the criminal case stemming from a 2014 armed standoff near Bundy's ranch, according to court filings.
- 911 calls released in Tennessee man's shooting by officers Updated: May-24-16 1:23 pm
TRENTON, Tennessee - Authorities in west Tennessee have released 911 calls from the night when officers shot and killed a Trenton man who had threatened to shoot police and to kill himself.
- School threats could be latest in school "swatting" Updated: May-23-16 7:45 pm
DENVER - Threats made against schools across the United States led to the evacuation of students Monday in what could be the latest example of so-called "swatting" against schools.
- Massachusetts inmate charged with threatening to kill Obama Updated: May-23-16 7:07 pm
BOSTON - A Massachusetts state prison inmate has been charged with threatening to kill President Barack Obama.
- Springville man accused of making terror threat on Twitter Updated: May-21-16 12:49 pm
SPRINGVILLE, Utah - A Springville man is in jail after he allegedly posted messages prompting people to meet him at a school with a rifle.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: May-21-16 11:54 am
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Samaritans thwart man trying to carjack mom, 4-year-old son Updated: May-20-16 1:20 pm
GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania - Several good Samaritans stepped in to help after a man tried to carjack a woman and her 4-year-old son at knifepoint in a Wal-Mart parking lot, police said.
- Woman accused of assaulting 97-year-old in wheelchair Updated: May-20-16 2:05 am
VERNON, Connecticut - A Massachusetts woman is accused of assaulting a 97-year-old woman in a wheelchair at a supermarket in Connecticut.
- Top Boston tourism official pleads not guilty to extortion Updated: May-19-16 5:05 pm
BOSTON - Boston's top tourism official pleaded not guilty Thursday to pressuring a production company into hiring union workers by withholding required city permits and approvals for a music festival.
- The Latest: Boston official pleads not guilty to extortion Updated: May-19-16 4:39 pm
BOSTON - The Latest on the indictment of Boston's top tourism official (all times local):