- Chicago gets some pension relief as Rauner veto overridden Updated: May-30-16 8:37 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Chicago taxpayers will save $1 billion on police and fire pension costs in the short term under a law the General Assembly approved Monday after some House Republicans bucked their governor, who had railed against it as a ridiculous expansion of the Illinois' growing pension hole.
- St. Louis police chief questions judges' accountability Updated: May-30-16 7:26 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The St. Louis police chief vented online Monday about the city's judges, saying he believes they are too lenient in cases involving gun crimes and insisting presiding jurists "are accountable to virtually no one."
- Nigeria: Security forces kill oil militants, separatists Updated: May-30-16 7:10 pm
WARRI, Nigeria - Nigerian security forces clashed with oil militants and Biafran secessionists in separate bloody confrontations Monday that killed at least 20 civilians and two police officers, officials and witnesses. The violence erupted in Nigeria's restive south as the military mounted an offensive in the oil rich south-central Niger Delta and separatists protested in the southeast.
- Campbell County considers buying drone for surveying work Updated: May-30-16 4:15 pm
GILLETTE, Wyoming - Campbell County surveyors are hoping to buy drones to help do the job.
- Column: NFL version of 3-card monte: the Super Bowl Scam Updated: May-30-16 3:23 pm
ATLANTA - The NFL has its own version of three-card monte.
- Indiana county's newly merged E-911 center not fully staffed Updated: May-30-16 3:16 pm
CROWN POINT, Indiana - A northwestern Indiana county facing a state mandate to consolidate its emergency dispatch operations is still struggling to gets its call center fully staffed more than a year into that merger.
- Each council member to serve as temporary Tupelo mayor Updated: May-30-16 2:26 pm
TUPELO, Mississippi - Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton got married over the weekend and, while he's away for his honeymoon, the city will have seven different people serving in the mayor's office in seven days' time.
- Libyan forces advance in push on Islamic State strongholds Updated: May-30-16 2:14 pm
CAIRO - Libyan forces loyal to the U.N.-brokered government advanced on Monday against two key Islamic State strongholds, with several officials saying the troops had taken a town from the extremists.
- Paralympics 100 days away; city planning ticket give-away Updated: May-30-16 1:53 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Tickets sales for the Paralympic Games are lagging, but they are getting a big boost from an unexpected source - the city of Rio de Janeiro.
- Uber, Lyft: Failure of Missouri bill makes growth unlikely Updated: May-30-16 1:26 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers hoping to help ride-hailing companies such as Uber and Lyft failed again this legislative session, and the companies say they are unlikely to begin service outside the state's largest cities any time soon.
- A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Updated: May-30-16 10:01 am
The Detroit News. May 27, 2016
- London's Labour Party mayor joins Cameron against 'Brexit' Updated: May-30-16 9:34 am
LONDON - London's new mayor has joined forces with Prime Minister David Cameron in the campaign to prevent a British exit from the European Union.
- Connecticut city sees rapid population growth Updated: May-30-16 9:34 am
DANBURY, Connecticut - The state's fastest-growing city is keeping pace with the demands its newest residents are making on services and resources.
- Pickens County jail built for 91 inmates has 200 prisoners Updated: May-30-16 9:24 am
PICKENS, South Carolina - An inmate injured last month in a fight at the Pickens County jail is suing the county saying he wouldn't have been hurt in the jail wasn't so crowded.
- Hong Kong activist beaten by police sentenced to prison Updated: May-30-16 8:45 am
HONG KONG - A Hong Kong activist whose beating by police was caught on video was sentenced Monday to five weeks in prison on charges related to the confrontation, stirring outrage among pro-democracy supporters.
- Philippine Congress proclaims next president, vice president Updated: May-30-16 6:25 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine Congress on Monday proclaimed crime-busting Mayor Rodrigo Duterte as president-elect and Rep. Leni Robredo as vice president-elect of a country that has been posting high growth rates but remains saddled with poverty, corruption and insurgencies.
- Beijing tracks the elderly as they take buses, go shopping Updated: May-30-16 12:26 am
BEIJING - These days, when people over 80 in Beijing take a bus, see a doctor or spend money, their activities are digitally tracked by the government, as part of an effort to improve services for the country's rapidly growing elderly population.
- Former Indy mayor to be honored by LGBT business group Updated: May-29-16 6:07 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Former Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard will be honored by an LGBT business group for his advocacy on gay rights issues.
- Residents of Garfield move to recall mayor Updated: May-29-16 4:09 pm
GARFIELD, Washington - Residents of the eastern Washington city of Garfield are working to recall the mayor due to looming fines from the state Department of Ecology and issues with the town's public works department.
- Memphis transit agency hampered by broken-down buses Updated: May-29-16 2:36 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Area Transit Authority has 38 malfunctioning buses that were taken out of service long before completing their anticipated life spans.
- Kansas lawmakers return to tax fight involving pizza magnate Updated: May-29-16 1:18 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate's top Republican is pushing to override GOP Gov. Sam Brownback's veto of a bill enmeshed in a multi-million dollar tax dispute between the state and a retired pizza magnate.
- Some reluctant to forgo land in effort to help Lake Mitchell Updated: May-29-16 12:10 pm
MITCHELL, South Dakota - The city of Mitchell's mayor wants more buffer strips along a creek in order to help Lake Mitchell, but some farmers are reluctant to forgo land.
- Official remind people to wear life jackets while boating Updated: May-29-16 11:37 am
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - Less than a day after a man died in an accident on Lake Tuscaloosa, the city council was raising awareness about boating safety.
- Former Fairbanks mayor announces state senate bid Updated: May-29-16 10:28 am
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - Former Fairbanks North Star Borough Mayor Luke Hopkins is running for state senate.
- US bomb from World War II defused at German airport Updated: May-29-16 9:36 am
BERLIN - An American bomb dropped during World War II has been defused at the airport in the northern German city of Hannover in an operation that forced dozens of flights to be diverted.