- Veteran of presidential museums name to head Lincoln library Updated: Apr-29-16 9:16 pm
SPRINGFIELD, ILL. - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner has named the director of the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum to direct the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.
- The Latest: Kansas lawmakers OK bill on nude images of kids Updated: Apr-29-16 9:15 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas Legislature (all times local):
- Pot limits for Colorado tourists could be on the way out Updated: Apr-29-16 9:11 pm
DENVER - Colorado's tourists would be able to buy as much marijuana as residents, if a bill moving through the state Legislature passes.
- School cash added to break budget impasse, but issues remain Updated: Apr-29-16 9:00 pm
PHOENIX - An agreement to add millions in new school spending to break a stalemate that stalled a state budget deal for several days was still in flux Friday evening as the Arizona House repeatedly delayed debate on the $9.58 billion budget package.
- New budget figures show Connecticut deficit has grown Updated: Apr-29-16 8:58 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut's state budget deficit problems got a little worse on Friday night, days before the General Assembly is scheduled to adjourn.
- Illegal camping out of bill allowing Airbnb to collect taxes Updated: Apr-29-16 8:56 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers have advanced a bill that would allow online brokers such as Airbnb to collect taxes on behalf of people advertising private rentals on the websites.
- Raiders in Las Vegas? It's still several hurdles away Updated: Apr-29-16 8:47 pm
LAS VEGAS - Raiders owner Mark Davis pledged this week to relocate his NFL team from Oakland to Las Vegas if a proposed $1.4 billion, 65,000-seat domed stadium is built. Here are some hurdles the proposal would have to clear before becoming reality.
- Kansas House rejects repeal of key Brownback income tax cut Updated: Apr-29-16 8:42 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators rejected a proposal Friday to repeal one of Republican Gov. Sam Brownback's signature personal income tax cuts as they struggle to find the money to close a major budget shortfall.
- Arizona GOP convention to feature Trump, Cruz delegate fight Updated: Apr-29-16 8:31 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona Republicans are headed to Mesa on Saturday for the state party convention, where they'll elect 55 of 58 delegates to the national GOP convention.
- The Latest: Bill to allow AirBNB to collect taxes advances Updated: Apr-29-16 8:25 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the Hawaii Legislature negotiating dozens of bills before a deadline (all times local):
- Lawmakers agree budget; Planned Parenthood funding survives Updated: Apr-29-16 8:25 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Legislature on Friday adjourned its 2016 session with agreement over a roughly $7.35 billion budget, following days of private meetings that ultimately stopped an attempt by GOP lawmakers to remove state funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Ex-Rendell aide pleading guilty in FBI campaign cash sting Updated: Apr-29-16 8:22 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A onetime chief of staff to ex-Gov. Ed Rendell agreed in a court document filed Friday to plead guilty to wire fraud for pocketing thousands of dollars in supposed campaign contributions from a fake company set up by the FBI to investigate public corruption in the state.
- Bill expands kids' right to sue in parent wrongful deaths Updated: Apr-29-16 7:43 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut minors whose parent was killed in a wrongful death incident would have the right to sue for loss of love and affection, just like a spouse, under a bill that's moving through the General Assembly.
- The Latest: Kasich calls for balance on gay rights, religion Updated: Apr-29-16 7:40 pm
BURLINGAME, California - The Latest on the California Republican Party's convention, a stage for the GOP presidential candidates (all times local):
- Legislators transitioning from Capitol to temporary digs Updated: Apr-29-16 7:37 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Alaska legislators being forced from the state Capitol due to renovation work are setting up shop in a no-frills, nearby former university building, where old classrooms or conference areas will serve as committee rooms and legislators in some cases will share close-quarters office space.
- Lawmakers overturn LePage Narcan veto, falter on solar bill Updated: Apr-29-16 7:25 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - With five state residents dying each week from drug overdoses, lawmakers on Friday overwhelmingly rejected Republican Gov. Paul LePage's veto of a bill that would increase availability of an overdose antidote. But they failed to overcome his veto of a bill to modernize state policies on solar power.
- Iditarod bans musher in domestic violence case from '17 race Updated: Apr-29-16 7:12 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A musher who has been charged in a domestic violence case has been banned from next year's Iditarod, race officials announced Friday in Alaska.
- Utah theater asks judge to block law in "Deadpool" case Updated: Apr-29-16 7:10 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah theater in trouble for serving booze during the movie "Deadpool" asked a judge to block enforcement of an obscenity law it says is so broad it would apply to an exhibit of Michelangelo's statue "David."
- Governor sets May 15 target for tax study recommendations Updated: Apr-29-16 7:04 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. John Bel Edwards urged a study group looking at state budget and tax policy to give him preliminary recommendations by May 15 for ways to raise money to fill financial gaps, according to a letter released Friday.
- The Latest: Arizona House again delays budget debate Updated: Apr-29-16 7:02 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on legislative action an Arizona budget proposal (all times local):
- Gov: Puerto Rico braces for lawsuits as major default looms Updated: Apr-29-16 7:00 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's governor said Friday that the U.S. territory is bracing for multiple lawsuits as a major default looms over a $470 million bond payment.
- Hawaii lawmakers negotiate dozens of bills before deadline Updated: Apr-29-16 6:46 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers facing a major deadline are negotiating final details on dozens of bills, rushing around the capitol and huddling in groups and trying to reach last-minute agreements.
- Governor vetoes bill requiring vaccine information Updated: Apr-29-16 6:39 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin has vetoed a bill that would have required doctors administering vaccines to provide certain information about the benefits and risks of vaccines.
- Md. governor, health officials, outline Zika prevention Updated: Apr-29-16 6:36 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Gov. Larry Hogan and state health officials on Friday outlined a variety of measures the state is taking to monitor and prevent the Zika virus in Maryland, where there have been 12 cases reported.
- Vermont high court sides with solar project developers Updated: Apr-29-16 6:35 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A fragmented Vermont Supreme Court on Friday sided with developers of a major solar power project in Rutland Town against the wishes of the town and its neighbors.