- Judge blocks Montana from using drug in executions Updated: Oct-06-15 6:34 pm
HELENA, Montana - A judge on Tuesday blocked Montana from using a particular drug in lethal injections, effectively halting executions in the state until an adequate substitute can be found or lawmakers change the law.
- Inmates' lawyer says nothing new in request to dismiss Updated: Oct-06-15 6:24 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A lawyer for eight Arkansas inmates scheduled for execution beginning Oct. 21 says the state repeated most of its arguments from previous filings when it asked a judge to dismiss their lawsuit this week.
- Arkansas: Deal with inmates over drug secrecy not a contract Updated: Oct-05-15 9:51 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - An agreement to tell Arkansas' condemned inmates the source of its execution drugs isn't technically a contract and a judge should dismiss a lawsuit challenging a new death penalty law, the state's prison director said in a court filing Monday.
- Texas inmate says he shouldn't die for $8 robbery, slaying Updated: Oct-05-15 8:55 pm
HOUSTON - A Texas inmate set to be executed Tuesday acknowledges fatally shooting a Mexican man who was robbed of $8 and had just moved his family to Houston, but insists he doesn't deserve to die for the killing 17 years ago.
- High court refuses appeal from killer in slaying of boy, 12 Updated: Oct-05-15 1:02 pm
HOUSTON - The U.S. Supreme Court has refused an appeal from a 38-year-old man on Texas death row for the 1998 fatal beating and robbery of a 12-year-old Rio Grande Valley boy in what authorities said may have been an occult ritual slaying.
- Condemned Texas killer of woman, 85, loses at Supreme Court Updated: Oct-05-15 12:18 pm
HOUSTON - The U.S. Supreme Court has refused an appeal from a 38-year-old man on Texas death row for the fatal stabbing and robbery of an 85-year-old Rio Grande Valley woman.
- Condemned Fort Worth man loses US Supreme Court appeal Updated: Oct-05-15 11:20 am
HOUSTON - A 31-year-old Fort Worth man on death row for an assistant manager's slaying during a robbery at an amusement center nine years ago has lost an appeal at the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Drugs derail Oklahoma execution, cast doubt on protocols Updated: Oct-03-15 1:01 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Despite more than a year of painstaking training and preparation to ensure that executions in Oklahoma were performed without a hitch, the state's latest attempt to lethally inject an inmate was thwarted by a last-minute glitch - the wrong drugs were delivered to the prison.
- Missouri governor commutes sentence for condemned man Updated: Oct-02-15 7:19 pm
ST. LOUIS - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon on Friday spared the life of a death row inmate four days before the scheduled execution, saying he did so after "significant consideration" of the circumstances but without explaining further.
- Ohio death-row inmate wants to drop appeals and be executed Updated: Oct-02-15 3:36 pm
CLEVELAND - An Ohio inmate who was sentenced to death for the slayings of a college student and a friend now wants to drop his appeals after more than 10 years and be executed.
- Court denies Oklahoma death row inmate's sanity challenge Updated: Oct-02-15 1:50 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals has denied a death row inmate's request to halt his execution over claims that he is insane and challenges to the state's drug formula.
- Governor warns of problems getting lethal injection drugs Updated: Oct-02-15 11:33 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe says the state may have difficulty in the future obtaining lethal injection drugs if the manufacturers can't be shielded from the public.
- Virginia executes 1st inmate in nearly 3 years Updated: Oct-02-15 5:24 am
JARRATT, Virginia - A convicted serial killer who faced the death penalty in two states became the first inmate to be executed in nearly three years in Virginia.
- Execution date sought for man convicted in 1993 slaying Updated: Oct-02-15 4:01 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Attorney General's Office is seeking an execution date for a death row inmate convicted in the 1992 rape and murder of a Homewood woman.
- The Latest: Virginia executes serial killer Updated: Oct-01-15 10:03 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The latest on the scheduled execution of a convicted serial killer in Virginia. All times local:
- House approves bill to parole inmates after minimum sentence Updated: Oct-01-15 5:44 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Parole Board would have less leeway to keep certain prisoners locked up past their minimum sentence under legislation approved Thursday to curtail prison spending by at least $75 million annually within five to 10 years, the equivalent of closing two prisons.
- The Latest: Oklahoma seeks to delay 3 executions amid probe Updated: Oct-01-15 3:25 pm
McALESTER, Oklahoma - The latest on the confusion over Oklahoma's supply of lethal injection drugs, which prompted Gov. Mary Fallin to issue a last-minute execution stay for Richard Glossip (all times local):
- The Latest on execution: Georgia woman is executed Updated: Sep-30-15 12:39 am
ATLANTA - The latest on the scheduled execution of the only woman on Georgia's death row. All times local:
- Recent Missouri Editorials Updated: Sep-29-15 5:23 pm
Kansas City Star, Sept. 25
- Arkansas inmate's clemency request cites possible innocence Updated: Sep-29-15 4:47 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - An attorney for Arkansas death row inmate Stacey Eugene Johnson is arguing the prisoner should not be executed Nov. 3 because he may be innocent.
- Pakistan executes man who was a juvenile when arrested Updated: Sep-29-15 2:33 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan executed a convict on death row before dawn on Tuesday, despite appeals by an international rights group that claimed the man was a juvenile at the time of his arrest in a murder case.
- New clemency hearing set for Ga. female death row inmate Updated: Sep-28-15 8:04 pm
ATLANTA - One day before the only woman on Georgia's death row is set to be executed, the state Board of Pardons and Paroles on Monday scheduled a new clemency hearing in her case.
- The Latest: New hearing set for woman on Georgia's death row Updated: Sep-28-15 7:19 pm
ATLANTA - The latest on appeals by Kelly Renee Gissendaner, whose execution for murder is scheduled Tuesday in Georgia:
- Advocates say man facing execution in Missouri is innocent Updated: Sep-28-15 3:56 pm
ST. LOUIS - Missouri risks executing an innocent man next week, advocates for Kimber Edwards warned Monday, citing a key witness who says his testimony was coerced and the inmate's contention that his own confession was false.
- Attorney for death row inmate challenge execution methods Updated: Sep-28-15 12:56 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - An attorney for New Hampshire's only death row inmate is challenging the constitutionality of the state's death penalty law.