- Burrillville police investigating 15-month-old's death Updated: Apr-29-16 4:37 am
BURRILLVILLE, Rhode Island - The Burrillville Police Department has launched an investigation into the death of a 15-month-old boy in the northwest Rhode Island town earlier this week.
- AP Newsbreak: SF official releases more police racist texts Updated: Apr-29-16 4:21 am
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco's police chief has ordered "effective immediately" that all officers attend an anti-harassment class, even as he released more transcripts of a former lieutenant and two former officers exchanging racist text messages.
- Lawmaker accused of harassment is all alone with his M&Ms Updated: Apr-29-16 3:51 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Amid the frenzied negotiations, flaring tempers and occasional frivolity marking the end of another Tennessee legislative session, one lawmaker stayed conspicuously alone and quiet.
- White powder mailed to Trump campaign office ruled harmless Updated: Apr-28-16 11:53 pm
NEW YORK - An envelope containing a suspicious white powdery substance caused a scare when it was opened at a campaign office of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, but it later was deemed to be harmless.
- Police: Man shot multiple times inside Spokane bank Updated: Apr-28-16 10:57 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - Police are investigating after a man was shot multiple times in a Spokane bank.
- The Latest: Investigators consider overdose in Prince death Updated: Apr-28-16 9:21 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Latest on the investigation into the death of music superstar Prince (all times local):
- Police: Shooting in southwest Louisiana is murder-suicide Updated: Apr-28-16 8:30 pm
SULPHUR, Louisiana - A man who exchanged gunfire with sheriff's deputies after fatally shooting his wife in southwest Louisiana died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, authorities said.
- Mayor defends his team after subpoenas in campaign probes Updated: Apr-28-16 8:17 pm
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio said Thursday neither he nor his advisers did anything wrong despite his office confirming a day earlier that top aides received subpoenas by federal and state prosecutors amid investigations into his campaign fundraising operation.
- 'Bomb' hooked to man in animal suit really flotation device Updated: Apr-28-16 7:41 pm
BALTIMORE - A young man in an animal costume and surgical mask who walked into a Baltimore TV station Thursday claiming to have a bomb was shot and wounded by police, who determined that his alleged explosive consisted of aluminum-wrapped chocolate bars duct-taped to a flotation device.
- Las Cruces police investigating an apparent murder-suicide Updated: Apr-28-16 7:37 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - Police say they're investigating what appears to be a murder-suicide involving an elderly couple at their Las Cruces home.
- Missing students' parents demand Mexican prosecutor be fired Updated: Apr-28-16 7:32 pm
MEXICO CITY - Parents of 43 college students who disappeared in 2014 called Thursday for the firing of the head of Mexico's criminal investigation agency, the AIC, for what they called missteps in the investigation.
- Ministers, refugees ask House to block anti-refugee bill Updated: Apr-28-16 6:21 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Opponents of legislation that requires refugees in South Carolina to register and holds liable those who help them resettle asked a House panel Thursday to block the bill.
- Official: Boy with BB gun faced police before being shot Updated: Apr-28-16 6:02 pm
BALTIMORE - A 13-year-old who was shot by Baltimore police had turned toward the officers with a replica gun still in his hand when one officer fired two rounds, striking the teen in the shoulder and leg, Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said Thursday.
- Defense secretary investigating accuracy of sex crimes cases Updated: Apr-28-16 5:38 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Thursday he's investigating whether his department misled Congress in an effort to derail a contentious bill that would change the way the military handles allegations of sexual misconduct.
- Police probe Kansas theft of Blue Man Group costumes Updated: Apr-28-16 5:34 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Police in Wichita, Kansas, are trying to unravel who made off with costumes of the Blue Man Group while the performance artists were there this week.
- Ohio massacre: 1 family, 8 dead, hundreds of tips, 0 answers Updated: Apr-28-16 5:15 pm
PIKETON, Ohio - From her house on Union Hill Road, Brittany Barker heard the first sirens first thing in the morning. She looked out and saw four police vehicles rush past. That was only the beginning.
- New Wisconsin bureau to handle officer-involved deaths Updated: Apr-28-16 4:51 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin's Department of Justice is creating a new bureau to handle officer-involved deaths and other sensitive investigations.
- Egypt tries to divert eyes to citizen who died in London Updated: Apr-28-16 3:23 pm
CAIRO - Under scrutiny in Europe over its handling of investigations into the torture death of an Italian student in Cairo, Egyptian authorities sought to deflect attention Thursday toward the fate of a British-Egyptian man who died in a London fire.
- Salt Lake teens arrested in alleged school shooting plot Updated: Apr-28-16 3:08 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake City police say they've arrested two teenagers suspected of plotting a shooting at their high school, but there's no evidence they could have carried it out.
- Police: 80 people arrested in Ontario in child pornography probe Updated: Apr-28-16 2:33 pm
TORONTO - Ontario police say they have arrested 80 people as part of a sweeping investigation into internet child pornography in the province.
- Utah city defends police use of prescription drug database Updated: Apr-28-16 1:43 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah authorities say police didn't violate the rights of two firefighters when they accessed their prescription records without a warrant during an investigation into ambulance drug thefts.
- Prosecutors says IS ordered Italian resident to attack Rome Updated: Apr-28-16 11:43 am
MILAN - Italian police have arrested four suspects in a foreign fighter investigation, including a Moroccan-born man living in Italy who had received Islamic State orders to carry out attacks on Rome during Holy Year, prosecutors said Thursday.
- Police investigate vandalism at Maryland historic lighthouse Updated: Apr-28-16 11:38 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Authorities are investigating a break-in and vandalism at a historic lighthouse in Maryland.
- Car theft suspect killed in shootout in Westminster Updated: Apr-28-16 10:32 am
WESTMINSTER, Colorado - State officials are investigating after Westminster police shot and killed an armed car theft suspect.
- Ex-cop to plead guilty in scheme to steal up to $250K Updated: Apr-28-16 10:01 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A longtime Ohio policeman accused of conspiring with another officer to falsely obtain search warrants and keep up to $250,000 in cash and property seized in drug investigations will plead guilty to federal charges under an agreement with prosecutors.