- Michel Platini lodges appeal against FIFA suspension Updated: Oct-10-15 8:11 am
Michel Platini has lodged an appeal with FIFA against a 90-day suspension from world football that's thwarting his hopes of standing for the presidency.
- Police: Trio used stolen gun to rob, kill 2 in California Updated: Oct-09-15 10:35 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Three young transients used a handgun that was stolen from an unlocked car to rob and kill a backpacking Canadian tourist in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco and then a yoga instructor two days later on a hiking trail north of the city, authorities said.
- Ethics inquiry into justice's emails cites new revelations Updated: Oct-09-15 10:23 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Pennsylvania agency that prosecutes allegations of judicial misconduct said Friday that new revelations about the role of a sitting state Supreme Court justice in the exchange of explicit or otherwise inappropriate emails has prompted it to undertake a second investigation.
- Detective investigating deputy's death had sex with witness Updated: Oct-09-15 8:44 pm
HOUSTON - A sheriff's detective involved in the investigation of a deputy's slaying has been relieved of duty pending further investigation after prosecutors said he acknowledged having "consensual sexual conduct" with a witness in that case.
- Police investigate edible marijuana distribution at school Updated: Oct-09-15 8:13 pm
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, Rhode Island - Police are investigating after students became sick at a South Kingstown private school where edible marijuana was distributed.
- The Latest: Cops questioning 2 men in Texas college shooting Updated: Oct-09-15 6:45 pm
HOUSTON - The latest on a fatal shooting outside a Texas Southern University student-housing complex (all times local):
- Utah lawmaker pleads guilty to fraud charge, resigns Updated: Oct-09-15 6:41 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - In a surprise move, a Utah state lawmaker pleaded guilty to fraud and resigned Friday, acknowledging he took about $24,000 in campaign money from his former boss, the mayor of Salt Lake County.
- Police investigate fatal shooting near Seattle stadiums Updated: Oct-09-15 6:28 pm
SEATTLE - Seattle police are investigating the death of a man found near CenturyLink field south of downtown.
- Man sentenced to 12 years for kicking homeless man to death Updated: Oct-09-15 6:01 pm
GEORGETOWN, Delaware - A man who pleaded guilty to kicking a homeless man to death has been sentenced to 12 years in prison.
- Campaign donor backed company vying for Allentown contract Updated: Oct-09-15 4:17 pm
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - The city planned to award a no-bid contract to a company whose main investor contributed to the mayor's Senate campaign, according to email records.
- NoCo cold cases haunt detectives, families Updated: Oct-09-15 3:01 pm
FORT COLLINS, Colorado - Capt. Robert Coleman glances up from the conference room table where to his left a stack of binders and a black plastic bin hold evidence that changed everything in the cold case from 1973.
- Platini retains UEFA title, with no interim leader in place Updated: Oct-09-15 2:54 pm
LONDON - Still defiant, UEFA is standing by its man.
- Feds investigating sex assault claim at Westminster College Updated: Oct-09-15 12:03 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Federal investigators are coming to Salt Lake City to probe allegations that Westminster College officials didn't do enough to protect a student who reported a sexual assault in 2013.
- Investigation continuing into Upstate SC Updated: Oct-09-15 10:32 am
DUNCAN, South Carolina - Police are investigating the deaths of two people found in a Spartanburg County home but say it's too early to know if the case is a homicide.
- North Dakota fraternity cleared of hate crime accusation Updated: Oct-09-15 9:57 am
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - A monthlong police investigation has concluded that a gay man who reported being the victim of a hate crime at a University of North Dakota fraternity invented the story and actually instigated the fight.
- Police investigating after body found near high school Updated: Oct-09-15 4:10 am
WORCESTER, Massachusetts - A school official says a police liaison officer has found a body in an abandoned building next to a Massachusetts high school.
- County won't prosecute Tucson cops in prostitution ring Updated: Oct-08-15 8:38 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - Several Tucson police officers accused of being involved in a prostitution ring will not face charges, according to a letter issued by the Pima County Attorney.
- With Platini suspended, FIFA election field more uncertain Updated: Oct-08-15 7:43 pm
LONDON - From sure bet to suspended, Michel Platini's career in soccer politics could be over.
- Police investigate case of girl who sold herself online Updated: Oct-08-15 6:08 pm
BROWN DEER, Wisconsin - Police in the Milwaukee suburb of Brown Deer are investigating the case of a 14-year-old girl who was selling herself online.
- Judge peppers Arpaio with questions about investigation Updated: Oct-08-15 5:41 pm
PHOENIX - An Arizona sheriff squared off in court Thursday with a federal judge who peppered him with tough questions about an allegation that the lawman investigated the jurist in a bid to get him removed from a racial profiling case.
- The Latest: Chicago Public Schools mum on indictment Updated: Oct-08-15 4:58 pm
CHICAGO - The latest on the indictment of former Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett, following a federal investigation into a $20 million no-bid contract (all times local):
- Ohio island's ex-police chief guilty of disorderly conduct Updated: Oct-08-15 4:35 pm
PORT CLINTON, Ohio - A fired Ohio island police chief has been convicted on a disorderly conduct charge after being cleared of aggravated menacing.
- Menomonie police call woman's gunshot death suspicious Updated: Oct-08-15 3:49 pm
MENOMONIE, Wisconsin - Menomonie police are investigating the death of a 26-year-old woman found in her residence with a gunshot wound to the head.
- The Latest: Hayatou says Platini can be credible candidate Updated: Oct-08-15 2:13 pm
ZURICH - The Latest from the FIFA investigation (all time local):
- Probe launched after sheriff's official buys stolen car Updated: Oct-08-15 12:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has launched an internal investigation after a newspaper found a top-ranking official bought a stolen car from the owner of a towing company that contracts with the department.