- Kansas Senate approves array of election law changes Updated: May-30-15 7:46 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate has approved an array of changes to state election laws dealing with the use of social media by campaigns and regulations on political signs.
- Retention elections for justices gets tentative NC Senate OK Updated: May-28-15 7:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina lawmakers finally seem willing to change how voters can choose appellate court judges after legislation in previous years has gone nowhere.
- Duckworth: Democratic 2016 Senate primary hurts Kirk Updated: May-28-15 6:54 pm
CHICAGO - U.S. Rep. Tammy Duckworth said Thursday that a potential challenger in the Democratic primary for Republican U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk's seat won't hurt her in a 2016 contest that's already heating up.
- Bosworth to appeal conviction for election law violations Updated: May-28-15 5:48 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Former South Dakota U.S. Senate candidate Annette Bosworth plans to appeal to the state Supreme court over her conviction for election law violations, her attorney said Thursday.
- Jury convicts ex-US Senate hopeful of violating election law Updated: May-28-15 12:08 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - A South Dakota jury on Wednesday convicted former U.S. Senate candidate Annette Bosworth of election law violations.
- Nevada Rep. Dina Titus not running for Reid's Senate seat Updated: May-26-15 6:27 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - U.S. Rep. Dina Titus says she won't run for Nevada's open Senate seat in 2016.
- McConnell: 2016 goal is to maintain, not grow, GOP majority Updated: May-26-15 5:27 pm
ELIZABETHTOWN, Kentucky - Mitch McConnell said Tuesday the chances are "pretty slim" that Republicans will grow their majority in the U.S. Senate in 2016, saying his goal is to preserve the majority for what he hopes will be a Republican president.
- Arizona House Democrat to challenge McCain for Senate Updated: May-26-15 4:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Arizona Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick said Tuesday she will challenge Republican John McCain for his Senate seat next year, launching an uphill bid to unseat the five-term senator in the GOP-leaning state.
- Sen. Mitch McConnell working on memoir Updated: May-26-15 1:22 pm
NEW YORK - Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, is working on a memoir.
- State Senate race deals blow to Democratic Party, unions Updated: May-20-15 8:11 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Democratic Party and labor unions vowed not to back down any time soon after their candidate lost a costly state Senate race in the San Francisco Bay Area this week.
- Democratic Senate candidate wants 6 Ohio primary debates Updated: May-19-15 1:38 pm
CINCINNATI - A Cincinnati city councilman running for U.S. Senate proposed six Democratic primary debates around Ohio with his veteran opponent.
- Michigan Senate OKs extension of deadline for Flint election Updated: May-19-15 12:07 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Senate has voted to allow the filing deadline for Flint's mayoral primary to be extended after a clerk's error left candidates off the August ballot.
- Congresswoman apologizes for Indian whooping-cry caricature Updated: May-17-15 11:01 pm
ANAHEIM, California - U.S. Senate candidate Loretta Sanchez apologized Sunday after a videotape surfaced showing her making a whooping cry in reference to Native Americans that brought her a cascade of reprimands from fellow Democrats to posts on Twitter.
- Republican Sen. Johnson takes swipes at Democrat Feingold Updated: May-16-15 6:13 pm
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin - Republican U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson took swipes at his newly announced Democratic challenger Russ Feingold on Saturday, alleging the former senator is unwilling to face the biggest issues facing the country, his signature campaign finance law was an "abject failure" and that he will never hold a leadership position in the Senate.
- Ex-congressman Baron Hill to join Indiana Senate race Updated: May-15-15 1:52 pm
- In US Senate bid, Democrat Sittenfeld says new voice needed Updated: May-14-15 2:33 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A Cincinnati councilman running for U.S. Senate said Thursday that Democrats need a choice in the 2016 election and he intends to remain in the race.
- Wisconsin's Feingold to run for US Senate Updated: May-14-15 11:03 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Russ Feingold announced Thursday he will run to reclaim the U.S. Senate seat he lost five years ago to Republican Ron Johnson, fulfilling the hopes of Democrats who have been pushing for the liberal to return to political office.
- Kirk touts stroke recovery in 1st ad of 2016 re-election bid Updated: May-14-15 7:30 am
CHICAGO - U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk is touting his recovery from a debilitating stroke in the first television ads of his 2016 re-election bid.
- She's in, she's out: Email misfire brings Senate confusion Updated: May-12-15 10:21 pm
WASHINGTON - It was the campaign kickoff that wasn't.
- Idaho US Senator Mike Crapo to run for re-election in 2016 Updated: May-12-15 5:29 pm
BOISE, Idaho - U.S. Sen. Mike Crapo from Idaho has announced that he will be running for his fourth consecutive term in the Senate in 2016.
- Dems claim recruiting successes in bid to retake Senate Updated: May-11-15 1:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats are claiming early success in recruiting strong candidates in Republican-held states as they fight to retake the majority after last year's midterm bloodletting. But in several states the party is still searching, with the Democrat who looks like the strongest candidate holding out for now.
- US Rep. Marlin Stutzman enters Indiana Senate race Updated: May-09-15 5:37 pm
ROANOKE, Indiana - U.S. Rep. Marlin Stutzman entered Indiana's U.S. Senate race on Saturday, telling supporters he wants to replace retiring Republican Sen. Dan Coats because the nation needs more conservative leaders to boost economic growth, rein in spending and face national security threats.
- Wisconsin Senate adjusts election recount costs Updated: May-06-15 1:38 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state Senate has passed a bill adjusting election recount fees.
- Correction: Senate-Walker story Updated: May-06-15 9:59 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - In a story May 5 about the scheduling of a trial for a former Senate candidate from South Dakota, The Associated Press erroneously referred to 6th Judicial Circuit Court Judge John Brown as the court's magistrate judge. Brown is its presiding judge.
- US Senate candidate proposes to girlfriend, she says yes Updated: May-06-15 3:04 am
CINCINNATI - A Cincinnati councilman running for U.S. Senate is getting hitched.