- Va. House speaker raises $550,000 in final weeks of primary Updated: Jun-01-15 8:20 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia House Speaker William J. Howell has a dominant cash advantage over his tea party rival in the run-up to the June 9 primary election, though his opponent is getting help from big names in national politics.
- Seabrook teen a candidate in special election for House seat Updated: May-31-15 1:04 pm
SEABROOK, New Hampshire - A Seabrook 18-year-old is looking to become the second teen elected to the New Hampshire House in a special election this year.
- Hastert rose to speakership among the scandals of others Updated: May-29-15 7:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Dennis Hastert's career as House speaker both arose and ended amid the sex-related scandals of others.
- Democrat Shea-Porter ready to run again for Guinta's seat Updated: May-28-15 9:09 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Former U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter said Thursday she is prepared to win back the seat she lost to Republican Frank Guinta now that the Federal Election Commission has found that he accepted illegal campaign donations from his parents.
- Democrat Susie Lee joins Flores, Kihuen in bid for Congress Updated: May-28-15 2:56 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Las Vegas philanthropist and Democrat Susie Lee has announced a bid for Nevada's 4th Congressional District seat.
- Early voting opens in primary to replace US Rep. Schock Updated: May-28-15 1:47 pm
PEORIA, Illinois - Early voting is starting in the special primary election to replace former U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock, who resigned earlier this year from his seat in a central Illinois district.
- Absentee voting ends Saturday in Congressional race Updated: May-28-15 6:34 am
TUPELO, Mississippi - North Mississippi residents have until Saturday to cast an absentee ballot in the upcoming June 2 runoff election for the 1st Congressional District seat.
- Lawmakers make Pleicones 1st new chief justice in 15 years Updated: May-27-15 1:53 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina lawmakers elected Supreme Court associate justice Costa Pleicones the state's first new chief justice in 15 years on Wednesday, but he won't have the job for long.
- Arizona House Democrat to challenge McCain for Senate Updated: May-26-15 4:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Arizona Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick said Tuesday she will challenge Republican John McCain for his Senate seat next year, launching an uphill bid to unseat the five-term senator in the GOP-leaning state.
- Kansas House approves variety of election changes Updated: May-21-15 2:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a measure that would move local elections to the fall in odd-numbered years.
- Illinois state senator declares bid for 8th District Updated: May-19-15 10:35 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An Illinois state senator says he'll run for Congress to replace Democratic U.S. Rep. Tammy Duckworth.
- Kansas House delays vote on bill moving local elections Updated: May-14-15 10:04 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has postponed a vote on a measure that would move local elections to the fall of odd-numbered years.
- Cornish passes on bid to challenge Walz for Congress Updated: May-13-15 5:17 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The colorful Tony Cornish is passing on the chance to run for Congress.
- 1 Dem, 1 Republican headed to US House runoff in Mississippi Updated: May-13-15 5:00 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Democrat Walter Zinn and Republican Trent Kelly will spend the next three weeks competing for support in a north Mississippi congressional race after emerging from a field of 13 candidates in a special election.
- State Sen. Banks joins Brown, Galloway in 3rd District field Updated: May-12-15 7:26 pm
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - An Indiana state senator just back from a military deployment in Afghanistan formally announced his bid Tuesday to go to Washington, joining a 3rd District congressional field that includes one other state senator and one who formerly served in Wisconsin.
- Hagedorn wants 2016 congressional rematch against Walz Updated: May-12-15 11:24 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Blue Earth businessman Jim Hagedorn wants a 2016 rematch against the Democratic congressman who beat him last year.
- Special elections set for August for 2 Pa. House vacancies Updated: May-11-15 4:02 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Vacancies in state House districts in the Harrisburg suburbs and outside Chester will be filled during special elections scheduled for this summer.
- Recently deployed Indiana Sen. Banks running for US House Updated: May-11-15 1:09 pm
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - Republican state Sen. Jim Banks of Columbia City says he's running for the northeastern Indiana House seat that U.S. Rep. Marlin Stutzman is giving up.
- Rhode Island House OKs 3 bills to reform mail ballot process Updated: May-10-15 5:01 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island House of Representatives has passed three bills to reform the mail ballot process during state elections.
- Dems, GOP ready to act if Supreme Court axes House districts Updated: May-09-15 3:14 am
WASHINGTON - Vulnerable House incumbents are fattening their campaign accounts as the Supreme Court approaches a decision on a case that could force legislatures to reshape congressional districts in 13 states or more, perhaps in time for next year's elections.
- The Latest: Markets happy at clear result; fear referendum Updated: May-08-15 4:29 am
LONDON - 9:25 a.m. (0825 GMT; 4:25 a.m. EDT)
- Prosecutor in Eric Garner chokehold case elected to Congress Updated: May-06-15 9:00 am
NEW YORK - A U.S. House seat in deeply Democratic New York City will remain under Republican control.
- Kansas House panel endorses election fraud measure Updated: May-04-15 5:20 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas' secretary of state would have the power to prosecute election fraud under a bill endorsed by a House panel.
- Special election in New York City for Grimm, Assembly seats Updated: May-04-15 4:13 pm
NEW YORK - Voters in Staten Island and certain sections of Brooklyn are getting another chance to make their political preferences known as a special election is held Tuesday to fill a vacancy in the state Assembly and another in Congress after a Republican's tax evasion conviction.