- Arizona Republicans want funding for Koch-backed schools Updated: Apr-28-16 6:18 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona's Republican leaders have proposed earmarking millions of dollars for programs at the state's public universities that are backed by billionaire Republican donor Charles Koch.
- UND eliminating 138 positions to meet budget allotments Updated: Apr-28-16 5:12 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - The University of North Dakota plans to eliminate 138 faculty, staff and administration positions to help meet budget cuts ordered by the governor, the school's interim president told state Board of Higher Education members Thursday.
- Dayton revises budget to fund counselors, pre-K facilities Updated: Apr-28-16 2:41 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton has revised his state budget proposal to increase the number school counselors in Minnesota and help schools pay for preschool facilities.
- Oklahoma college presidents warn lawmakers about dire budget Updated: Apr-27-16 6:07 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - College and university presidents from across Oklahoma urged lawmakers Wednesday to ease cuts to higher education as the state grapples with a $1.3 billion hole in next fiscal year's budget.
- Missouri governor approves higher education funding boost Updated: Apr-27-16 3:39 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Gov. Jay Nixon has signed a higher education budget that will result in a tuition freeze at public universities.
- Business leaders call for more early education funding Updated: Apr-27-16 2:52 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois business leaders say they want the state to invest more money in early education to meet the demands of a growing job market centered on math and science.
- House OKs $16.2B education budget with more for schools Updated: Apr-26-16 7:27 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan House approved a $16.2 billion education budget Tuesday with modest-to-healthy funding boosts for schools and colleges and additional money to help rescue Detroit's ailing district - the first spending bill to clear either chamber as lawmakers accelerate work on the budget before a self-imposed deadline of early June.
- House GOP takes first turn in setting budget surplus plans Updated: Apr-25-16 9:53 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Republican-controlled Minnesota House passed a spending package Monday for public schools and universities that includes some small increases without dipping into the state's $900 million budget surplus.
- The Latest: Minnesota House passes education budget bill Updated: Apr-25-16 9:46 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Latest on Minnesota's education budget (all times local):
- Illinois governor signs $600M university funding package Updated: Apr-25-16 3:35 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has signed legislation authorizing $600 million in emergency funding to keep major Illinois universities operating until fall.
- Illinois impasse sparks fears of the unthinkable: No school Updated: Apr-25-16 12:52 pm
HARRISBURG, Illinois - School officials in Illinois are worried that lawmakers' nearly yearlong fight over a state budget could spill into summer and force some districts to close their doors in the fall.
- Man creates 25,755-brick Nebraska Capitol with Legos Updated: Apr-24-16 11:16 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - He started in grad school, buying bulk bags of tan bricks when his budget allowed and piecing them together over the course of five years.
- Wolf lets last budget bill become law without his signature Updated: Apr-22-16 7:58 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Legislation directing the distribution of $200 million to Pennsylvania's public school districts and authorizing up to $2.5 billion in borrowing for the state share of school construction costs will take effect Monday, the governor's office said.
- The Latest: Illinois universities grateful; say more needed Updated: Apr-22-16 3:32 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Latest on the Illinois Legislature's plan to fund higher education and other legislative issues (all times local):
- Oklahoma school funding declines noted by Moody's Updated: Apr-22-16 3:30 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - One of the nation's top credit rating agencies is noting Oklahoma's declining funding to public schools as further negative pressure on the state's financial outlook.
- Philadelphia schools could end year with surplus Updated: Apr-22-16 6:19 am
PHILADELPHIA - School officials say Philadelphia's cash-strapped school system expects to end the current year with a $134.5 million budget surplus.
- Las Cruces schools may see staff cuts amid tight budget Updated: Apr-22-16 6:12 am
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - Las Cruces Public School District may have fewer teachers next year due to a budget crisis.
- Legislature boosts education money, cuts Planned Parenthood Updated: Apr-21-16 10:03 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Planned Parenthood will lose state funding while universities, colleges and public schools will see millions of dollars more under a Missouri budget passed Thursday by the Legislature.
- Lawmakers give final approval to education budget, raise Updated: Apr-21-16 5:22 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers on Thursday gave final approval to the education budget and a 4 percent pay raise for teachers - their first tangible increase since 2008.
- The Latest: Illinois teachers call for graduated tax, budget Updated: Apr-20-16 9:48 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Latest on school funding in Illinois and Chicago Public Schools' contract negotiations (all times local):
- Educators pressure Illinois lawmakers over school funding Updated: Apr-20-16 6:27 pm
CHICAGO - Educators on Wednesday amped up the pressure on Illinois leaders for more school and university funding with protests in Springfield and fierce criticism of Gov. Bruce Rauner by the head of the Chicago Teachers Union.
- $2.6B construction budget clears Ohio Senate, heads to House Updated: Apr-20-16 2:42 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - State senators have passed a $2.6 billion capital budget bill that funds improvements to school buildings, roads, bridges and parks.
- Kansas district shortens school week to save money Updated: Apr-19-16 7:11 pm
CANEY, Kansas - A small southeast Kansas school district that is "hanging on by a thread" will have a four-day week for the rest of the school year to save money, the superintendent said.
- DC schools chief asked contractor for $100K Updated: Apr-19-16 4:53 pm
WASHINGTON - The chancellor of Washington's public schools asked a food-service contractor for a $100,000 contribution to a Kennedy Center gala honoring teachers, weeks after the company was accused in a whistleblower lawsuit of cheating the city out of millions of dollars, according to emails obtained by The Associated Press.
- School funding formula changes die after lawmaker talks fail Updated: Apr-19-16 12:43 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Lawmakers won't rewrite Mississippi's K-12 school funding formula this year.