- Egypt starts dig on Gaza border to stop smuggling tunnels Updated: Aug-31-15 7:10 am
RAFAH, Gaza Strip - Egyptian military bulldozers are digging through the sand along Egypt's border with the Gaza Strip in recent days, pressing ahead with what appears to be a renewed campaign to pressure Gaza's Hamas rulers and stamp out militant activity along the border.
- China seizes 620 turtles and tortoises smuggled from Vietnam Updated: Aug-30-15 7:07 am
BEIJING - Chinese border patrol officials seized 620 wild turtles and tortoises - 510 of them considered endangered - that were found alive in a shipment of frozen seafood from Vietnam, state media said Sunday.
- Darby man sentenced in bear poaching case Updated: Aug-29-15 2:11 pm
HAMILTON, Montana - A 63-year-old Darby man will no longer be able to hunt, fish and trap in Montana after being sentenced in a bear poaching case.
- Ohio zoo sending endangered rhino to Indonesia to mate Updated: Aug-25-15 2:43 pm
CINCINNATI - An Ohio zoo that has the last Sumatran rhino in the United States announced plans Tuesday to send him to Southeast Asia on a mission to mate and help preserve his critically endangered species.
- Another deer shot by poacher in Bellingham city limits Updated: Aug-24-15 7:41 pm
BELLINGHAM, Washington - Another deer has died after being shot by a poacher within the Bellingham city limits.
- Firefighter hit by police car pursuing wanted man in Md. Updated: Aug-23-15 4:52 pm
ST. MICHAELS, Maryland - Authorities say a firefighter was hit by a police car that was pursuing a man wanted for harvesting oysters out of season on Maryland's Eastern Shore.
- Nebraska officials try to identify 2 in illegal deer killing Updated: Aug-21-15 6:32 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Officials say they're seeking the public's help in identifying two suspects in the illegal killing of a deer in the Omaha area.
- Suspected ivory smuggler released on bond by Kenyan court Updated: Aug-21-15 12:25 pm
MOMBASA, Kenya - A Kenyan court released the suspected leader of an ivory trafficking ring on bail Friday, causing an uproar among conservationists who fear he may flee or tamper with witnesses.
- Mexico deploys drones to protect sea turtle nesting grounds Updated: Aug-19-15 6:19 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican officials say they have begun flying two drones over sea turtle nesting grounds on the Pacific coast to better monitor and protect the sensitive habitats.
- South African vet tries novel treatment for injured rhino Updated: Aug-14-15 4:02 pm
JOHANNESBURG - Veterinarians in South Africa have treated an injured rhino whose face was mutilated by poachers last week by fitting it with a bandage made of elephant leather.
- Repeat ginseng poacher sentenced to 6 months in prison Updated: Aug-13-15 8:14 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - A repeat ginseng poacher is facing six months in prison after being convicted of the illegal possession or harvesting of the plant.
- Prince Harry visits South Africa's flagship wildlife park Updated: Aug-13-15 8:26 am
JOHANNESBURG - Britain's Prince Harry has been on a private visit to South Africa's flagship wildlife park, where poachers have killed rhinos in record numbers and clashed with rangers.
- Mississippi man pleads to getting illegal hunting license Updated: Aug-13-15 4:11 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Mississippi man has pleaded guilty in the state court in Claiborne Parish to illegally obtaining a Louisiana resident hunting license.
- South Africa counts carcasses as rhino poaching surges Updated: Aug-12-15 10:38 am
JOHANNESBURG - Poachers have killed record numbers of rhinos in South Africa in recent years, but some conservationists believe the toll could be higher than the official figures.
- Killing of lion spurs Zimbabwe to boost wildlife protection Updated: Aug-11-15 2:37 pm
HWANGE NATIONAL PARK, Zimbabwe - No fence separates Hwange National Park from the outside world. When Cecil the lion was lured onto an adjacent farm in an allegedly illegal hunt, he had to cross only a set of rarely used railroad tracks to go from a protected area into a kill zone.
- Great falls man charged with poaching 2 elk Updated: Aug-10-15 7:08 pm
HELENA, Montana - A Great Falls man has pleaded not guilty to charges he poached two bull elk in southwestern Montana in 2012 and 2014.
- Elk poacher sentenced to probation Updated: Aug-10-15 12:13 pm
PENDLETON, Oregon - A man who poached a bull elk last year has been sentenced to two years of supervised probation.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Aug-10-15 10:04 am
Des Moines Register. Aug. 8, 2015
- Bangladesh police kill 6 alleged tiger poachers in gunfight Updated: Aug-09-15 11:52 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police in Bangladesh have shot dead six suspected tiger poachers in the world's largest mangrove forest after a new survey found that the population of the big cats has dropped alarmingly.
- Correction: Africa-The Hunters story Updated: Aug-09-15 9:47 am
JOHANNESBURG - In a story Aug. 3 about big game hunting in Africa, The Associated Press reported erroneously that water buffalo is one of the Big Five of African wildlife. In fact it is simply buffalo.
- South Africa, Namibia criticize airline ban on trophies Updated: Aug-07-15 7:01 am
JOHANNESBURG - Some African countries that allow hunting have criticized a decision by a number of international airlines to ban the transport of parts of animals killed in hunts.
- Illinois man sentenced in Louisiana for turtle smuggling Updated: Aug-06-15 7:41 am
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge in New Orleans has sentenced an Illinois man to more than three years in prison for attempting to buy threatened turtles captured in violation of state law.
- Swiss customs seize 578 pounds of ivory en route to China Updated: Aug-04-15 9:41 am
BERLIN - Customs officials at Zurich airport have seized 262 kilograms (578 pounds) of ivory that three Chinese men had dispatched from Tanzania, contraband that may have come from up to 50 elephants, Swiss authorities said Tuesday.
- Zimbabwe accuses 2nd American of illegally hunting lion Updated: Aug-03-15 2:13 am
HARARE, Zimbabwe - Zimbabwe has accused a Pennsylvania doctor of illegally killing a lion in April, as it seeks to extradite a Minnesota dentist who killed a well-known lion named Cecil in July.