- Louisiana adds police protections to hate-crime laws Updated: May-26-16 4:12 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana has become the first state in the nation to expand its hate-crime laws to protect police, firefighters and emergency medical crews.
- Man convicted of hate crime wants out of jail before hearing Updated: May-24-16 7:35 pm
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - A man who pleaded guilty to a federal hate crime for firebombing a Somali restaurant in Grand Forks is asking to be released to his parents or a residential treatment center before his sentencing hearing.
- Louisiana set to expand hate-crimes laws to include police Updated: May-24-16 5:36 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana is poised to become the first state in the nation to expand its hate-crime laws to protect police, firefighters and emergency medical crews - a move that could stir the national debate over the relationship between law enforcement and minorities.
- Germany: right-wing violence rose over 40 percent last year Updated: May-23-16 10:50 am
BERLIN - Violent crimes with a right-wing political motive rose more than 40 percent in Germany last year as the country saw a large influx of migrants, the government said Monday. The number of crimes committed by foreigners was also up more than 10 percent.
- Police: Swastika found on sign outside Pawtucket synagogue Updated: May-23-16 3:14 am
PAWTUCKET, Rhode Island - Police are investigating after a swastika was spray-painted on a welcome sign posted outside a synagogue in Pawtucket over the weekend.
- Man says fire at Somali cafe had nothing to do with race Updated: May-19-16 6:07 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - A Minnesota man who pleaded guilty Thursday to a federal hate crime for firebombing a Somali restaurant across the border in North Dakota says the incident had nothing to do with race.
- Senate sends 'Blue Lives Matter' bill to governor's desk Updated: May-17-16 8:09 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A proposal to protect police and firefighters under Louisiana hate crime laws is headed to the governor's desk.
- Police: Iowa student lied about being victim of hate crime Updated: May-17-16 12:14 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Police say a black University of Iowa student lied about being the victim of a racially motivated beating and that he instigated at least one of several alcohol-fueled fights.
- Prosecutor to appeal in ex-player's gay hate crime case Updated: May-17-16 10:58 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A prosecutor says he'll appeal a judge's ruling that violence or violent threats based solely on a victim's sexual orientation aren't considered a hate crime under West Virginia law.
- Judge: Law doesn't cover gay hate crimes in ex-player's case Updated: May-13-16 6:14 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia law doesn't consider violence or threats of violence based solely on a victim's sexual orientation to be a hate crime, a circuit judge ruled Friday.
- NY man gets prison for fatal attack on teen perceived as gay Updated: May-11-16 4:01 pm
NEW YORK - A man involved in the beating and stomping death of a teenager perceived to be gay has been sentenced to 18 years in prison.
- 3 arrested in San Diego County hate-crime death of black man Updated: May-02-16 9:46 pm
FALLBROOK, California - San Diego County authorities say the stabbing death of a black man was a hate crime and they've arrested three reputed gang members on suspicion of murder.
- Police: Man charged with hate crime after threatening woman Updated: Apr-29-16 5:14 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Vermont police say a Burlington man is charged with a hate crime after they say he pointed what appeared to be a gun at woman wearing a hijab and called her a terrorist.
- Omaha man found guilty of burning couple's gay pride flag Updated: Apr-28-16 4:11 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - An Omaha man accused of stealing a gay pride rainbow flag and burning it has been found guilty.
- 2 Dodge City men charged with hate crimes against Somalis Updated: Apr-27-16 6:02 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Two southwest Kansas men have been charged with federal hate crimes after prosecutors say they attacked three Somali men last year.