- New Mexico police may get hate-crime protections Updated: Feb-05-16 8:57 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A proposal in to add law enforcement officers, firefighters and emergency medical technicians as protected classes to New Mexico's hate crimes law has been approved by the state House of Representatives.
- Man with gun arrested outside Seattle mosque Updated: Feb-04-16 12:41 pm
SEATTLE - Seattle police say a man who was carrying a stolen pistol has been arrested for investigation of a hate crime after a confrontation outside a mosque.
- Providence College students allege off-campus hate crime Updated: Feb-04-16 8:51 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Five Providence College students are demanding action from the school after saying they were victims of an off-campus hate crime.
- NY man faces hate crime in mugging of teen without arms Updated: Feb-03-16 3:59 pm
NEW YORK - A New York man pleaded not guilty to hate crime charges Wednesday after prosecutors say he targeted a teenager without arms in order to steal his cellphone.
- FBI offering reward in 2013 hate crime in Mecosta County Updated: Jan-28-16 3:16 am
SHERIDAN TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Federal authorities are seeking help solving a 2013 hate crime involving spray-painted racial slurs and arson in Mecosta County.
- Cops: 2 New York teens charged with attacking Muslim man Updated: Jan-22-16 6:04 pm
NEW YORK - Police in New York City have brought hate crime charges against two teenage boys they say attacked a Muslim man walking his niece home from school.
- Virginia man charged under hate crimes statute Updated: Jan-20-16 7:21 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - A Virginia man has been indicted in federal court on a hate crimes charge stemming from an alleged attack on a person over their sexual orientation.
- Man won't face hate crime charges for anti-Muslim outburst Updated: Jan-20-16 7:20 am
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, Rhode Island - An Exeter man police say was caught on surveillance video directing an obscenity-laced anti-Muslim tirade at a convenience store clerk on Christmas Eve will not face hate crime charges.
- Lawmakers resist including LGBT in Ohio hate crime laws Updated: Jan-17-16 9:42 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Authorities in Ohio have resisted including lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people to those covered by state hate crime laws.
- Hate Crimes detectives investigating attack on a 43-year-old Updated: Jan-16-16 9:12 pm
NEW YORK - Hate crimes detectives are investigating an attack on a 43-year-old man in the Bronx after a group attacked him and yelled: "ISIS, ISIS."
- Street gang member indicted in transgender teen's death Updated: Jan-15-16 10:04 pm
LUCEDALE, Mississippi - A documented member of the Latin Kings street gang used a hammer to beat to death a transgender teen who once considered him a boyfriend.
- Ex-sergeant cleared of hate crimes in Hispanic theft case Updated: Jan-15-16 3:53 pm
MINEOLA, New York - A former suburban New York police sergeant charged with stealing money from Hispanics during traffic stops was cleared of hate crimes charges Friday, but a jury did convict him of larceny and official misconduct.
- Sikh bus driver says police didn't recognize hate crime Updated: Jan-14-16 9:45 pm
LOS ANGELES - A California bus driver wearing a turban was called a suicide bomber during an attack that left him hospitalized, but officers failed to recognize the assault as a hate crime, a Sikh advocacy group representing the man said Thursday.
- Police investigate threats to family as possible hate crime Updated: Jan-14-16 12:39 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Salem police are investigating a possible hate crime after an interracial couple and their children received several written racist death threats signed by the Ku Klux Klan.
- NYC man sentenced for assault on transgender woman Updated: Jan-14-16 5:45 am
NEW YORK - A Brooklyn man has been sentenced to 20 years behind bars for an assault on a transgendered woman that left her with severe brain injuries.
- FBI asked to probe Omaha mosque vandalism as hate crime Updated: Jan-13-16 6:14 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - An Omaha mosque has again been targeted by vandals.
- Man gets 5 years for bias-motivated assault in Basalt Updated: Jan-12-16 10:00 am
ASPEN, Colorado - A Snowmass man has been sentenced to five years in prison for attacking a man in Basalt while making disparaging remarks about Mexicans and President Barack Obama.
- Salem police look into racially motivated threats Updated: Jan-12-16 5:01 am
SALEM, Oregon - Police say they are investigating racially charged threats that were left for a Salem family as a potential hate crime.
- Parents say Briton killed in Germany was hate crime victim Updated: Jan-11-16 10:47 am
BERLIN - The parents of a British lawyer shot dead in Berlin say they believe their son was the victim of a hate crime.
- Mosque vandalized; group calls for hate crime investigation Updated: Jan-10-16 12:09 pm
OWENSBORO, Kentucky - A mosque in western Kentucky has been vandalized, but officials don't think it was a hate crime.
- San Francisco man convicted in anti-Chinese graffiti case Updated: Jan-09-16 2:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A San Francisco man has been convicted of spray painting a series of anti-Chinese graffiti discovered last year in two of the city's neighborhoods.