- Westlake woman accused of stealing from church Updated: May-25-16 6:32 pm
WESTLAKE, Louisiana - A Westlake woman has been arrested after investigators found she allegedly wrote more than $166,000 in checks on a church's business account to herself over a four-year period.
- Missouri woman accused of embezzling $1.2M from Garmin Updated: May-25-16 5:40 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A Missouri woman already accused of embezzling more than $300,000 from engineering firm Black & Veatch stole $1.2 million during an earlier job at Garmin International, a new federal indictment alleges.
- Judge: US man charged in Uganda counterfeit plot could flee Updated: May-25-16 1:26 pm
PITTSBURGH - An American deported from Uganda and charged in a massive counterfeiting scheme is a major flight risk and will remain jailed until he stands trial, a federal judge in Pennsylvania ruled.
- The Latest: Bail denied for man charged in counterfeiting Updated: May-25-16 1:18 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Latest on bail being denied for a man deported from Uganda and charged in counterfeiting scheme in that nation (all times local):
- Homeless, drug-addicted recruited for New York check scheme Updated: May-24-16 12:14 am
BUFFALO, New York - Police in New York are looking for the leaders of an illegal check-cashing operation that recruited homeless people and drug addicts.
- Michigan man charged after stripper paid with fake $100 bill Updated: May-19-16 9:09 pm
KOCHVILLE TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A Michigan man is facing charges after a stripper was paid with a counterfeit $100 bill following a lap dance.
- 4 face charges tied to counterfeit credit card ring Updated: May-19-16 2:13 pm
GRANDVILLE, Michigan - Four people face charges in western Michigan after authorities found about 100 "cloned" credit cards and thousands of dollars in merchandise in a Grand Rapids-area motel room.
- Iowa man gets 15 years in prison for using counterfeit bills Updated: May-19-16 2:55 am
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - A Sioux City man accused of using counterfeit money at several local businesses has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.
- NY bridge inspector arrested for falsifying safety review Updated: May-19-16 1:07 am
ALBANY, New York - A state contract bridge inspector has been charged with falsifying a safety inspection of an upstate New York bridge.
- Historic 1493 letter on Columbus voyage is returned to Italy Updated: May-18-16 9:54 am
ROME - The U.S. has returned to Italy a letter written by Christopher Columbus in 1493 announcing his discovery of the New World that was stolen from a Florence library and unwittingly acquired by the Library of Congress.
- Iowa charges against ex-county worker, husband, dismissed Updated: May-18-16 7:45 am
GARNER, Iowa - A former Hancock County employee and her husband no longer face charges stemming from a bid for county-owned land.
- Jack Ma cancels keynote speech at counterfeit group meeting Updated: May-18-16 6:40 am
NEW YORK - Jack Ma, the head of Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, is withdrawing from an anti-counterfeiting convention in Florida just two days before he was scheduled to give the keynote speech.
- Ex-worker pleads guilty to embezzling from hunger group Updated: May-16-16 3:49 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Prosecutors say the former finance director for a nonprofit group dedicated to ending hunger in Vermont has pleaded guilty to embezzling about $165,000 from the organization.
- Kentucky man charged with using fake money at yard sales Updated: May-15-16 2:24 pm
MADISONVILLE, Kentucky - Madisonville police say a resident has been charged with using counterfeit money at yard sales.
- Anti-counterfeiting group suspends Alibaba Updated: May-13-16 7:48 pm
SHANGHAI - An anti-counterfeiting group said Friday it was suspending Alibaba's membership following an uproar by some companies that view the Chinese e-commerce giant as the world's largest marketplace for fakes.
- Colorado Senate candidate sidesteps forgery questions Updated: May-12-16 8:04 pm
DENVER - Colorado U.S. Senate hopeful Jon Keyser, once considered a preferred challenger to incumbent Democrat Michael Bennet by national Republican leaders, refused Thursday to answer questions about forged voter signatures on petitions that helped get him on the state GOP primary ballot.
- Waterville man faces up to 15 years for sale of bogus coins Updated: May-10-16 5:52 am
BANGOR, Maine - A Waterville man has pleaded guilty to federal charges stemming from the sale of counterfeit coins throughout several central Maine communities.
- 3 men nabbed allegedly using fake credit cards Updated: May-09-16 7:32 am
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - Three New York City men police say bought $10,000 worth of video game systems, cellphones and other items from a Springfield store using fake credit cards are headed to court.
- Ruling: Medical marijuana immunity of doctors is limited Updated: May-06-16 5:56 pm
PHOENIX - The legal immunity provided physicians by Arizona's medical marijuana law for certifying patients to use pot only applies to the medical certifications, not other conduct such as making false statements in documents, the state Supreme Court ruled Friday.
- Real $2 bill leads to cash confusion at school in Houston Updated: May-06-16 12:05 pm
HOUSTON - Danesiah Neal wanted chicken tenders for her school lunch. Instead, the Houston-area eighth-grader got a grilling from police over whether she used a fake $2 bill to pay for it.
- Part-time farm worker charged with stealing $900K from job Updated: May-05-16 5:39 pm
WEST CHESTER, Pennsylvania - Prosecutors say a part-time painter at a Pennsylvania farm stole more than $900,000 from his employers to fund a lavish lifestyle that included luxury cars, jewelry, a trip to the Bahamas and private schools for his children.
- Slain Navy SEAL took lessons from running track into combat Updated: May-04-16 7:04 pm
PHOENIX - In cross-country running, your team is only as fast as your slowest athlete. Slain Navy SEAL Charlie Keating IV took that to heart in his youth as a track star, turning around to cheer on his teammates after he crossed the finish line.
- Idaho women sue doctor, claim they got counterfeit implants Updated: May-03-16 1:38 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Four women have sued an Idaho doctor who they claim gave them counterfeit breast implants and knock-off Botox without their knowledge during procedures.
- Ex-Rendell aide pleading guilty in FBI campaign cash sting Updated: Apr-29-16 8:22 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A onetime chief of staff to ex-Gov. Ed Rendell agreed in a court document filed Friday to plead guilty to wire fraud for pocketing thousands of dollars in supposed campaign contributions from a fake company set up by the FBI to investigate public corruption in the state.
- Minnesota woman accused of counterfeit Iowa prescriptions Updated: Apr-29-16 8:37 am
MASON CITY, Iowa - Iowa authorities have charged a Minnesota woman with counterfeiting prescriptions.