- Asian stocks mostly higher ahead of Yellen talk, US data Updated: May-26-16 11:18 pm
HONG KONG - Asian stock markets were mostly higher Friday as investors maintained a cautiously optimistic outlook while they waited for U.S. economic data and remarks by the Fed chief.
- Pending US home sales hit highest level since February '06 Updated: May-26-16 11:22 am
WASHINGTON - Americans signed more contracts to buy homes in April for the third straight month, driving pending home sales to the highest level in more than a decade.
- Agents say real estate market isn't as fun as it used to be Updated: May-25-16 11:51 am
NEW YORK - Real estate agents are flummoxed by a housing market that's still trying to recover a decade after its historic collapse.
- A rising housing market lifts builders, home goods retailers Updated: May-24-16 1:41 pm
NEW YORK - A new report from the U.S. that showed Americans are snapping up homes at a pace not seen since the housing bust-fueled recession pushed the trading of shares of all companies affiliated with the sector into overdrive Tuesday.
- US new-home sales jump to highest level in more than 8 years Updated: May-24-16 10:36 am
WASHINGTON - Americans ramped up their purchases of new homes in April to the highest level since January 2008, evidence of a strong start to the spring buying season.
- Massachusetts home sales soar; median prices also rise Updated: May-24-16 8:54 am
BOSTON - Sales of single-family homes in Massachusetts soared to their highest level for the month of April in more than a decade, according to two organizations that track the housing market.
- US home sales growth driven mostly by Midwest Updated: May-20-16 10:41 am
WASHINGTON - Midwestern homebuyers helped spark a national increase in real estate sales during April, a sign that demand for housing remains steady despite rising prices and tight inventories.
- Average 30-year mortgage rate ticks up to 3.58 percent Updated: May-19-16 3:34 pm
WASHINGTON - Long-term U.S. mortgage rates were little changed this week at or near their lows for the year.
- San Francisco Bay area lifts California home prices in April Updated: May-18-16 5:21 pm
SAN DIEGO - Record highs in the San Francisco Bay area helped lift California home prices last month to their loftiest levels since September 2007, a research firm said Wednesday. Sales were soft.
- Lowe's like Home Depot, puts up big numbers as housing booms Updated: May-18-16 7:27 am
NEW YORK - Lowe's reported surging first-quarter profits and comparable-store sales boomed in the midst of a strong recovery in the U.S. housing market.
- Trump University lawsuit headed to New York's highest court Updated: May-17-16 5:56 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's highest court is expected to decide next year whether to dismiss a fraud lawsuit against presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump over his former school for real estate investors.
- Christian charity head admits using donations for sex habit Updated: May-17-16 5:47 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The president of a Christian charity in Iowa admitted that he embezzled nearly a half-million dollars in donations and used the money to pay for a sex addiction, federal prosecutors said Tuesday.
- US builders increase home construction in April Updated: May-17-16 9:49 am
WASHINGTON - Builders ramped up construction of new homes in April, suggesting that the market remains solid despite sluggish economic growth at the beginning of the year.
- Washington home prices up 8.1 percent over last year Updated: May-13-16 12:50 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - Housing prices across the state continued to rise in the first quarter of 2016, driven by a low supply of homes for sale.
- Australian prime minister makes July 2 election official Updated: May-08-16 12:46 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian prime minister says the governor-general has agreed to a July 2 election.
- US consumer borrowing jumps 10 percent in March Updated: May-06-16 3:27 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumers sharply increased use of their credit cards in March, pushing up total borrowing at the fastest pace in more than a decade.
- Portal reopens for Michigan homeowners seeking mortgage help Updated: May-06-16 9:21 am
LANSING, Michigan - An online application portal is back open for Michigan homeowners seeking help due to unemployment or another hardship.
- Colorado lawmakers finally confront state's housing crunch Updated: May-05-16 10:15 pm
DENVER - Proposals to tackle Colorado's skyrocketing housing costs have finally been offered in the state Legislature. But lawmakers don't have much time to settle on complicated measures to expand affordable housing.
- Montana high court upholds award over mortgage foreclosure Updated: May-05-16 3:15 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana Supreme Court has upheld $426,000 in damages and attorney's fees awarded to a couple who sued a loan servicing company alleging it violated federal and state laws in repeatedly trying to foreclose on their house.
- Fannie Mae posts $1.1B profit in 1Q; paying $919M dividend Updated: May-05-16 9:35 am
WASHINGTON - Mortgage giant Fannie Mae posted net income of $1.1 billion for the first quarter, down from a year ago as declining interest rates reduced the value of the financial instruments it uses to hedge against rate swings.
- Freddie Mac posts $354M loss in 1Q; no dividend payment Updated: May-03-16 10:11 am
WASHINGTON - Mortgage giant Freddie Mac reported a net loss of $354 million for the first quarter, mostly due to losses it sustained on the investments it uses to hedge against swings in interest rates.
- Wildfires cause dip in new California housing units Updated: May-02-16 7:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The number of new housing units in California declined last year for the first time since the start of the economic recovery, due mostly to wildfires that scorched more than 2,000 homes, state officials reported Monday.
- US construction spending up 0.3 pct., led by home building Updated: May-02-16 12:03 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. construction spending advanced in March to its highest level in more than eight years. Gains in home building and nonresidential construction offset a drop in government projects.
- Rhode Island sees record home sales in 1st quarter of 2016 Updated: Apr-27-16 4:06 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A nonprofit group that tracks the housing market says more single-family homes were sold in Rhode Island during the first quarter of 2016 than during any other first quarter in three decades.