- Colorado lawmakers finally confront state's housing crunch Updated: May-05-16 5:43 pm
DENVER - Proposals to tackle Colorado's skyrocketing housing costs have finally been proposed in the state Legislature. But lawmakers don't have much time to settle on complicated measures to expand affordable housing.
- Montana high court upholds award over mortgage foreclosure Updated: May-05-16 3:15 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana Supreme Court has upheld $426,000 in damages and attorney's fees awarded to a couple who sued a loan servicing company alleging it violated federal and state laws in repeatedly trying to foreclose on their house.
- Fannie Mae posts $1.1B profit in 1Q; paying $919M dividend Updated: May-05-16 9:35 am
WASHINGTON - Mortgage giant Fannie Mae posted net income of $1.1 billion for the first quarter, down from a year ago as declining interest rates reduced the value of the financial instruments it uses to hedge against rate swings.
- Freddie Mac posts $354M loss in 1Q; no dividend payment Updated: May-03-16 10:11 am
WASHINGTON - Mortgage giant Freddie Mac reported a net loss of $354 million for the first quarter, mostly due to losses it sustained on the investments it uses to hedge against swings in interest rates.
- Wildfires cause dip in new California housing units Updated: May-02-16 7:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The number of new housing units in California declined last year for the first time since the start of the economic recovery, due mostly to wildfires that scorched more than 2,000 homes, state officials reported Monday.
- US construction spending up 0.3 pct., led by home building Updated: May-02-16 12:03 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. construction spending advanced in March to its highest level in more than eight years. Gains in home building and nonresidential construction offset a drop in government projects.
- Average US rate on 30-year mortgage rises to 3.66 percent Updated: Apr-28-16 11:58 am
WASHINGTON - Long-term U.S. mortgage rates rose this week, lifting from their 2016 lows but remaining historically low during the spring home-buying season.
- Rhode Island sees record home sales in 1st quarter of 2016 Updated: Apr-27-16 4:06 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A nonprofit group that tracks the housing market says more single-family homes were sold in Rhode Island during the first quarter of 2016 than during any other first quarter in three decades.
- New York's fraud suit against Trump University moves forward Updated: Apr-26-16 4:44 pm
NEW YORK - New York state's fraud suit against Trump University is moving along.
- Massachusetts single-family home, condo sales soar in March Updated: Apr-26-16 10:49 am
BOSTON - More single-family homes were sold in Massachusetts last month than in any March since 2004, according to one group that tracks the market.
- US home prices rise at solid pace, even with flat sales Updated: Apr-26-16 9:34 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. home prices continued their steady upward march in February as buyers competed for a limited number of available properties.
- Hyundai Motor's profit down 12 percent on China sales Updated: Apr-26-16 3:37 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Hyundai Motor Co. has reported a 12 percent drop in its first-quarter net profit as lower sales in China, Russia and Brazil outweighed higher vehicle shipments at home and favorable foreign exchange rates.
- US new-home sales fall in March for third straight month Updated: Apr-25-16 11:25 am
WASHINGTON - Americans stepped back from buying new homes in March, the third straight monthly decline as sales plunged sharply in the Western states.
- Single-family home sales in Rhode Island soar 23 percent Updated: Apr-25-16 7:35 am
WARWICK, Rhode Island - The number of single-family homes sold in Rhode Island in March shot up by 23 percent when compared to the same month a year ago.
- Rhode Island to get $27 million to prevent foreclosures Updated: Apr-24-16 3:37 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island is slated to get nearly $27 million in additional federal funding to help prevent foreclosures.
- Maine home sales, prices heat up in early 2016 Updated: Apr-22-16 11:04 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Sales of houses and the prices of homes are both rising in Maine.
- PulteGroup beats Street 1Q forecasts on sales boost Updated: Apr-21-16 12:09 pm
NEW YORK - The homebuilder PulteGroup Inc. reported a 51 percent jump in first-quarter profit on an increase in both home sales and sales prices.
- More Americans are expected to remodel their homes this year Updated: Apr-21-16 9:06 am
WASHINGTON - A rising number of Americans are preparing to renovate their homes this year, a potential boost for the economy, according to projections released Thursday by Harvard University's Joint Center for Housing Studies.
- Indiana awarded $3M in additional Hardest Hit funding Updated: Apr-20-16 11:01 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana is receiving more federal funding to help homeowners struggling with mortgage payments.
- Michigan getting $188 million more to help fight blight Updated: Apr-20-16 11:42 am
LANSING, Michigan - The federal government is sending about $188 million more to Michigan that can be used to help eliminate blight in the state's communities, officials announced Wednesday.
- US home sales rebounded in March after February dip Updated: Apr-20-16 10:29 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. homebuyers crowded back into the market in March, kicking off a solid start to the spring buying season after sales had slumped in February.
- Men accused in scheme that targeted Connecticut homeowners Updated: Apr-19-16 4:23 pm
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - Two men have been accused in a scheme that targeted distressed homeowners in Connecticut.
- California home sales, median price increase in March Updated: Apr-19-16 3:48 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - California homes notched increases in sales and price in March, hitting a $415,000 median last reached during 2015's strong summer market.
- US home construction tumbled in March Updated: Apr-19-16 8:46 am
WASHINGTON - Construction of new homes fell in March by the largest amount in five months, with weakness in all regions of the country except the Northeast.
- NY comptroller says foreclosures hurting municipalities Updated: Apr-19-16 12:28 am
ALBANY, New York - The state comptroller says New York's high home foreclosure rate is squeezing municipalities.