- IOC shakes up bid process for 2024 Summer Olympics Updated: Aug-02-15 10:30 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The IOC shook up the bidding process for the 2024 Olympics on Sunday, eliminating the cut-down phase and clearing the way for all the candidates to make it to the final vote.
- Having made Olympic history, Beijing faces challenges Updated: Aug-01-15 4:52 am
BEIJING - Having made history as the first city to win hosting rights for both the Summer and Winter Olympics, Beijing now faces a slew of challenges, from ensuring adequate snow in a bone-dry region to ramping up support for winter sports in a nation where few people ski or skate.
- Watchdog groups quick to criticize IOC over Beijing in 2022 Updated: Jul-31-15 1:32 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Beijing bid delegation had no sooner finished their congratulatory hugs and handshakes after being awarded the 2022 Winter Olympics than criticism from human rights groups over the IOC's decision began to pour in.
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Throughout more than 120 years of Olympic history, no city has hosted both the winter and summer games. Now, Beijing will be the first do it - and in the span of just 14 years.
- Technical issues force 2 votes for 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 10:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to decide the 2022 Winter Olympics host city should have taken about 10 minutes using tablet-like electronic devices. Instead, a technical glitch left 85 voting members of the International Olympic Committee using paper ballots to ultimately give Beijing the nod.
- Russia's Sochi mooted as host for 2024 Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 9:57 am
MOSCOW - The man who organized last year's Winter Olympics in Sochi is pushing for the Russian city to host the 2024 Summer Games.
- Muted reaction in Almaty as Kazakh city's Olympic bid fails Updated: Jul-31-15 8:30 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Within minutes of the announcement that Almaty's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics had failed, it was almost as if it had never happened.
- Beijing celebrates winning the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 8:15 am
BEIJING - Lion dancers swayed and confetti canons erupted Friday as news came that Beijing would become the first city to host both the summer and winter Olympics.
- Chinese vice premier, Kazakh prime minister head delegations Updated: Jul-31-15 12:00 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Kazakhstan Prime Minister Karim Massimov will head the Almaty delegation and Chinese Vice Premier Liu Yandong will lead the Beijing team in the final presentations to the IOC ahead of the vote for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- FSB: US, Georgia helped prevent attacks at Sochi Olympics Updated: Jul-30-15 5:58 pm
MOSCOW - The head of Russia's domestic security agency says the United States, Georgia and several Western European countries helped prevent terrorist attacks during last year's Winter Olympics.
- US Olympic hero Jim Craig to auction memorabilia Updated: Jul-29-15 2:36 pm
NEW YORK - The American flag that goalie Jim Craig wrapped around his shoulders after the U.S. Miracle on Ice victory at the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics is on the auction block.
- Star athletes pitch for Beijing, Almaty ahead of 2022 vote Updated: Jul-29-15 2:55 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Former NBA star Yao Ming and Sochi Olympic bronze medalist figure skater Denis Ten differ in height by exactly two feet. The towering basketballer is representing Beijing's bid for the 2022 Olympics, and the diminutive figure skater is boosting the bid from Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- Tibetan groups campaign against 2022 Olympics going to China Updated: Jul-28-15 6:46 am
BEIJING - Tibetan activists and others are calling on the International Olympic Committee not to award the 2022 Winter Games to Beijing, saying China's human rights record after the 2008 Olympics in the Chinese capital worsened rather than showing a hoped-for improvement.
- A look at Almaty's bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-28-15 4:53 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - The Central Asian city of Almaty is vying with Beijing to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. The winner will be selected Friday in a vote of the International Olympic Committee in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Here's a quick look at Almaty's bid:
- Almaty offers traditional winter setting in 2022 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-28-15 4:51 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Instead of grand talk about how the Olympics will break new ground by going to a majority-Muslim country for the first time, or by making their first visit to Central Asia, Almaty's bid for the 2022 Winter Games is about tradition.
- With Boston out, can Los Angeles revive a US Olympic bid? Updated: Jul-27-15 11:05 pm
Boston's bid to host the 2024 Olympics was undercut by its own mayor, its skeptical public and, finally, leaders of the U.S. Olympic Committee, who were tired of the city's ever-changing blueprint.
- Olympic skicross racer banned in doping rule case Updated: Jul-27-15 11:00 am
BERN, Switzerland - Two-time Olympic skicross racer Sanna Luedi of Switzerland has been banned from competing for one year after breaking anti-doping rules.
- Bach: Facilities and sustainability key to winning 2022 bid Updated: Jul-27-15 10:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to determine which city will host the 2022 Winter Olympics will come down to the quality of sports facilities for athletes and sustainability, International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said Monday.
- IOC awards Olympic broadcast rights to Qatar's beIN Media Updated: Jul-27-15 6:47 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The International Olympic Committee has awarded broadcast rights in the Middle East and North Africa from 2018-2024 to Qatar's beIN Media Group.
- Beijing touts experience, facilities in 2022 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-27-15 2:32 am
BEIJING - Beijing has marketed its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics as the reliable choice, despite concerns about a lack of natural snow, notoriously bad air pollution and warnings about the government's treatment of political dissidents and minority groups.
- Canadian Olympic head to back Toronto to make 2024 bid Updated: Jul-26-15 7:00 pm
TORONTO - The head of the Canadian Olympic Committee said Sunday he would push Toronto to bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- IOC chief Bach arrives in KL ahead of 2022 Olympics vote Updated: Jul-24-15 6:15 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - IOC president Thomas Bach arrived in Malaysia on Friday ahead of executive board meetings and a general session which will determine the host city for the 2022 Winter Olympics - either Beijing or Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- IOC: Pyeongchang poised to move from planning to operations Updated: Jul-24-15 4:35 am
PYEONGCHANG, South Korea - IOC coordination commission leader Gunilla Lindberg says organizers of the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang are well poised to move from planning to operational mode with six months remaining before the first of the test events.
- Mayor says Toronto will decide 'very quickly' on Olympic bid Updated: Jul-23-15 6:25 pm
TORONTO - Toronto Mayor John Tory says Canada's largest city will make a decision "very quickly" whether to bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- Hyundai, Kia Motors sign deal for 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics Updated: Jul-23-15 9:48 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korean automakers Hyundai Motor Co. and its affiliate Kia Motors have signed on as a domestic sponsor of the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.