- IOC executive board recommends South Sudan gain recognition Updated: Jul-28-15 6:20 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The IOC executive board has recommended that South Sudan be granted Olympic recognition, a step that would allow the war-torn African country to send a team to next year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- For No Boston Olympics, time to celebrate, then 'go away' Updated: Jul-28-15 3:27 am
BOSTON - On Boston's last day as a potential Olympic host, Chris Dempsey ate lunch at an Irish pub across from City Hall and waited for the bid for the 2024 Summer Games to crumble.
- Beijing bid faces same old questions ahead of 2022 IOC vote Updated: Jul-28-15 3:23 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Two of China's most storied winter Olympic athletes faced some tough questions Tuesday about Beijing bid's for the 2022 Winter Games - namely about air pollution and a lack of snow.
- '10 people on Twitter' exult in demise of Boston Olympics Updated: Jul-28-15 2:17 am
BOSTON - Mayor Marty Walsh drew plenty of flak, and spawned a trending hashtag, by dismissing the opposition to the city's doomed bid for the 2024 Olympics as "10 people on Twitter."
- IOC urges US to come up with another bid city for 2024 Games Updated: Jul-28-15 2:04 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - With Boston no longer in contention, IOC President Thomas Bach urged U.S. Olympic leaders on Tuesday to pick "the most appropriate city" as a substitute candidate for the 2024 Games. Two-time Olympic host Los Angeles could fit the bill perfectly, according to several IOC board members.
- With Boston out, can Los Angeles revive a US Olympic bid? Updated: Jul-27-15 11:05 pm
Boston's bid to host the 2024 Olympics was undercut by its own mayor, its skeptical public and, finally, leaders of the U.S. Olympic Committee, who were tired of the city's ever-changing blueprint.
- After Olympic dreams fizzle, Bostonians wonder: Now what? Updated: Jul-27-15 9:29 pm
BOSTON - Opponents are cheering the unceremonious demise of Boston's bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics, but some are wistfully wondering what might have been.
- USOC won't seek $25 million bailout penalty from Boston Updated: Jul-27-15 8:27 pm
BOSTON - Oh, about that $25 million. Don't worry about it, Boston.
- Leader of anti-Olympic group reflects on end of Boston bid Updated: Jul-27-15 5:26 pm
BOSTON - The leader of the group that spearheaded opposition to holding the Olympics in Boston says it's time to move beyond the discussion of the 2024 games to other challenges facing the city and state.
- Baker says he's not questioning USOC withdrawal of Boston Updated: Jul-27-15 4:16 pm
BOSTON - Gov. Charlie Baker says he's not going to question the U.S. Olympic Committee's decision to withdrawn its selection of Boston as the U.S. site entry for 2024.
- After Boston bid ends, LA mayor wants talks on 2024 Olympics Updated: Jul-27-15 4:15 pm
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said Monday that he is eager to resume talks with the U.S. Olympic Committee on the possibility of bringing the 2024 Games to Southern California, after the committee severed ties with first-choice Boston.
- US Olympic Committee will look elsewhere for 2024 host city Updated: Jul-27-15 3:21 pm
Now that Boston is out of the picture, the U.S. Olympic Committee wants to explore other opportunities to host the 2024 Games.
- Bach: Facilities and sustainability key to winning 2022 bid Updated: Jul-27-15 10:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to determine which city will host the 2022 Winter Olympics will come down to the quality of sports facilities for athletes and sustainability, International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said Monday.
- IOC awards Olympic broadcast rights to Qatar's beIN Media Updated: Jul-27-15 6:47 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The International Olympic Committee has awarded broadcast rights in the Middle East and North Africa from 2018-2024 to Qatar's beIN Media Group.
- Beijing touts experience, facilities in 2022 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-27-15 2:32 am
BEIJING - Beijing has marketed its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics as the reliable choice, despite concerns about a lack of natural snow, notoriously bad air pollution and warnings about the government's treatment of political dissidents and minority groups.
- With tournament title secured, US sweeps China Updated: Jul-26-15 9:57 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - With the FIVB World Grand Prix Finals championship already secured, the United States added a three-set victory over China on Sunday to cap the tournament.
- Canadian Olympic head to back Toronto to make 2024 bid Updated: Jul-26-15 7:00 pm
TORONTO - The head of the Canadian Olympic Committee said Sunday he would push Toronto to bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- Beijing faces Almaty in IOC vote for 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-26-15 9:22 am
The world's most populous nation against a new kid on the block. A global capital that hosted an Olympics just a few years ago against a city which many people may not be able to find on a map. A Chinese region with few big mountains and little natural snow against a former Soviet winter sports resort surrounded by towering peaks and plenty of real snow.
- Biles beats Douglas in Secret Classic Updated: Jul-25-15 10:38 pm
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Illinois - Simone Biles successfully defended her all-around title in the Secret U.S. Classic on Saturday night, continuing a run of victories for the reigning world champion.
- As Pan Am Games wind down, Toronto examines 2024 Olympic bid Updated: Jul-25-15 6:20 pm
TORONTO - Organizers want to keep the focus on the Pan American Games until rapper Kanye West brings down the curtain in Sunday's closing ceremony.
- Boston Olympics organizers downplayed opposition, files show Updated: Jul-24-15 7:04 pm
BOSTON - Organizers of Boston's bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics downplayed the opposition that was already galvanizing against it, as well as the prospects of a voter referendum, according to the documents that won over the U.S. Olympic Committee.
- Column: USOC needs to dump Boston while there's still time Updated: Jul-24-15 5:04 pm
The U.S. Olympic Committee needs to cut its losses.
- Pan Am racquetball champion would like to be in Olympics Updated: Jul-24-15 4:42 pm
TORONTO - Paola Longoria of Mexico has won all that she can.
- USA Gymnastics coordinator Karolyi likely done after Rio Updated: Jul-24-15 4:15 pm
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Illinois - Martha Karolyi will likely retire after the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, the longtime U.S. women's gymnastics coach said Friday.
- Organizers reveal emblem for 2020 Tokyo Olympics Updated: Jul-24-15 8:21 am
TOKYO - Japanese organizers revealed the emblem of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics on Friday, five years to the day before the opening ceremony.