- Olympic weightlifting champion Tommy Kono dies in Hawaii Updated: Apr-30-16 2:36 am
HONOLULU - Tommy Kono, who took up weightlifting in an internment camp for Japanese-Americans and went on to win two Olympic gold medals for the United States, has died. He was 85.
- Scheduled IndyCar race on streets of Boston canceled Updated: Apr-29-16 10:03 pm
BOSTON - First the 2024 Olympics. Now an IndyCar race is pulling out of Boston before it even began.
- Rio Olympic flame visits UN office in Geneva Updated: Apr-29-16 12:56 pm
GENEVA - The Olympic flame for the Rio de Janeiro Games came to the United Nations in Geneva on Friday, where officials said a team of refugee athletes will bring a message of hope for refugees around the world.
- Agassi to face Bruguera in Atlanta Open exhibition Updated: Apr-29-16 11:27 am
ATLANTA - Andre Agassi will face Sergi Bruguera in an exhibition as part of the Atlanta Open on July 31, providing a rematch of the 1996 Olympics gold medal final in Atlanta.
- University of Memphis journalism students to cover Olympics Updated: Apr-29-16 4:31 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The University of Memphis says 14 of its journalism students will travel to Rio De Janeiro to cover the Summer Olympics.
- Hackett apologizes for "pure stupidity" in groping incident Updated: Apr-29-16 1:37 am
GOLD COAST, Australia - Two-time Olympic 1,500-meter freestyle champion Grant Hackett has publicly apologized for a drunken incident on a flight home from the Australian Olympic trials earlier this month, when he was accused of groping a male passenger who reclined the seat in front of him.
- 2-time Olympic high jumper paralyzed after backflip mishap Updated: Apr-28-16 7:25 pm
Two-time Olympic high jumper Jamie Nieto is steadily regaining sensation after a backflip gone wrong during a training session left him paralyzed.
- Rio mayor wants Olympic cauldron near revitalized port area Updated: Apr-28-16 3:29 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Mayor Eduardo Paes says he wants the Olympic cauldron to burn in Rio de Janeiro's revitalized port area.
- Beach volleyball's Walsh Jennings says shoulder is stronger Updated: Apr-27-16 6:07 pm
Three-time beach volleyball gold medalist Kerri Walsh Jennings says her surgically repaired right shoulder is holding up as she zeroes in on another Olympic berth.
- US Olympic fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad comfortable speaking out Updated: Apr-27-16 4:47 pm
NEW YORK - First lady Michelle Obama wrapped up her speech to dozens of U.S. athletes to mark 100 days before the Rio Games and immediately headed over to a temporary court set up in the middle of Times Square.
- Passing security test at Euro 2016 will help 2024 Paris bid Updated: Apr-27-16 3:42 pm
PARIS - Hosting a successful European Championship for soccer fans in June and July would provide further proof that France could stage a safe Olympic Games in Paris in 2024, French Olympic Committee president Denis Masseglia said Wednesday.
- Rio gets Olympic flame 100 days before games Updated: Apr-27-16 2:31 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The Olympic flame was handed to organizers of the Rio de Janeiro Games in Athens on Wednesday, 100 days before the opening ceremony in Brazil.
- Rio gets 3 holidays during Olympics, traffic fines loom Updated: Apr-27-16 2:16 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Residents of Rio de Janeiro will get three new holidays during the Olympics as part of a plan to keep people off the roads and limit the city's suffocating traffic.
- Britain's Olympic cycling coach resigns over comments Updated: Apr-27-16 2:07 pm
MANCHESTER, England - One of the key figures behind Britain's successful Olympic cycling team resigned on Wednesday, soon after being suspended by the national governing body for allegedly making discriminatory remarks to riders.
- Nadal to be Spain's flag-bearer at Rio Games Updated: Apr-27-16 1:26 pm
MADRID - Rafael Nadal is getting a second chance to be Spain's Olympic flag-bearer.
- France's Olympic water polo team cleared by FINA Updated: Apr-27-16 11:41 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The governing body of swimming says no action will be taken against France's water polo team for supposedly losing an Olympic qualifier on purpose to get a preferred opponent in the next round.
- Pellegrini selected as Italy's flag-bearer for Rio Games Updated: Apr-27-16 9:28 am
ROME - Swimming world-record holder Federica Pellegrini was selected Wednesday as Italy's flag-bearer for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics - four years after she asked not to perform the same honor at the London Games.
- Former refugee wants to earn Rio taekwondo medal as Belgian Updated: Apr-27-16 7:29 am
BRUSSELS - For a refugee, competing in the Olympics is an improbable dream. Now, former Iranian taekwondo fighter Raheleh Asemani seeks to go one better - earn a medal for her newly adopted nation, Belgium.
- Two-time Olympic champion Felix Sanchez announces retirement Updated: Apr-26-16 8:16 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Two-time Olympic 400-meter hurdles gold medalist Felix Sanchez has announced his retirement at the age 38 and will not compete in the 2016 games in Rio de Janeiro.
- Best and worst of times: Rio Olympic countdown hits 100 days Updated: Apr-26-16 7:30 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Two years ago, the Australian IOC member John Coates called the preparations for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics "the worst" in recent memory.
- Olympic honor for refugees: Rio flame stops at UN camp Updated: Apr-26-16 1:08 pm
ATHENS, Greece - If they had a home, refugees would belong to the world's 24th most populous nation, just behind Italy. On Tuesday, there were honored as members of the Olympic family.
- Schwartzel becomes 4th major champion to skip Olympics Updated: Apr-25-16 5:50 pm
Charl Schwartzel of South Africa is the latest player to drop out of the Olympics, making him the fourth major champion in the last two weeks to decide against being part of golf's return after a 112-year absence.
- Still swimming in exile, Syrian refugee to carry Rio flame Updated: Apr-25-16 4:23 pm
ATHENS, Greece - As a swimming-mad teenager in Syria, Ibrahim Al-Hussein was glued to his TV set for the 2004 Athens Olympics.
- Official wary of athletes staying outside Olympic village Updated: Apr-25-16 2:26 pm
MADRID - Extra security measures may be needed to protect some athletes staying outside of the Olympic Village during the Rio de Janeiro Games, one of Brazil's top security officials said Monday.
- US men's basketball set for 5-game pre-Olympic schedule Updated: Apr-25-16 12:36 pm
The U.S. Olympic men's basketball team will face Argentina and three other opponents during a five-game, five-city exhibition tour leading up to the Summer Games.