- Teens Alguetti, Zhang advance at US table tennis trials Updated: Feb-05-16 10:17 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - Teenagers Sharon Alguetti and Lily Zhang won qualifying tournaments Friday night on the second day of the U.S. Olympic table tennis trials.
- Historian: Zika won't stop Olympics; only war has done that Updated: Feb-05-16 6:22 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The world's best known Olympic historian said Friday it will take something more destructive than the Zika virus to cancel the Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
- Wozniacki to be Denmark's flag-bearer at Olympics in Rio Updated: Feb-05-16 12:43 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Former top-ranked tennis player Caroline Wozniacki has been chosen to be Denmark's flag-bearer at the opening ceremony of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Ennis-Hill to miss indoor season, hopes to be fit for Rio Updated: Feb-05-16 9:05 am
LONDON - Olympic heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis-Hill will miss the indoor season because of an Achilles injury.
- IAAF looking into claims of state-sanctioned doping in China Updated: Feb-05-16 7:53 am
BEIJING - The IAAF is investigating the authenticity of a two-decade-old letter published in Chinese media that suggests state-sanctioned doping in the 1990s, and casts doubt on the longstanding world records set by Wang Junxia in the women's 3,000 and 10,000 meters.
- Real Betis signs former Brazil striker Leandro Damiao Updated: Feb-04-16 9:44 pm
MADRID - Spanish club Real Betis has signed former Brazil striker Leandro Damiao until the end of the season.
- Michael Phelps coming to Atlanta for Olympic tuneup Updated: Feb-04-16 3:36 pm
ATLANTA - Michael Phelps is coming to Atlanta for one of his final tuneups heading into the Rio Olympics.
- Athletes gather on Capitol Hill to celebrate women in sports Updated: Feb-02-16 6:51 pm
NEW YORK - Olympians and leaders in the sports community will help celebrate the 30th annual National Girls & Women in Sports Day.
- Indoor pole vault record came as no surprise for Jenn Suhr Updated: Feb-02-16 5:33 pm
BOSTON - Defending Olympic pole vault champion Jenn Suhr was injury-free, avoided the flu bug this season and the warm weather made it easier to train at her home-made facility in western New York.
- Italian Parliament backs Rome's bid for 2024 Olympics Updated: Feb-02-16 4:12 pm
ROME - The Italian Parliament voted on Tuesday to back Rome's bid to host the 2024 Olympic Games
- US-Colombia Olympic playoff 2nd leg to be in Frisco, Texas Updated: Feb-02-16 3:21 pm
CHICAGO - The second leg of the United States' Olympic men's soccer qualifying playoff against Colombia will be played on March 29 at Frisco, Texas.
- Zika virus overshadows buildup to Rio de Janeiro Olympics Updated: Feb-02-16 1:27 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Zika virus is overshadowing the final preparations for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, even eclipsing concerns over deep budget cuts and severe water pollution.
- BBC secures rights to 2022, 2024 Olympics from Discovery Updated: Feb-02-16 9:57 am
LONDON - The BBC will continue to broadcast the Olympics through 2024 after reaching a deal Tuesday to sub-license the exclusive British television rights from Discovery Communications.
- IOC chief likes LA, but reveals no favorite for 2024 Games Updated: Feb-01-16 9:36 pm
LOS ANGELES - The president of the International Olympic Committee said a lot of nice things about Los Angeles on Monday after visiting proposed venues for the 2024 Games. But if he has a favorite among the four cities competing to host the international competition, he didn't share it.
- Coach says Lionel Messi will skip Rio de Janeiro Olympics Updated: Feb-01-16 6:14 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Lionel Messi will skip the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in six months because his coach Gerardo Martino says he needs some rest.
- Athletes in Rio stay inside, slather on repellent for Zika Updated: Feb-01-16 9:35 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Aline Silva has had the dengue fever twice, and she's not taking any chances with the Zika virus.
- IOC's Bach: Refugees will be honored at Rio Olympics Updated: Jan-28-16 11:28 am
ATHENS, Greece - A group of refugee athletes will march together in the opening ceremony of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in a symbol of hope for the world's migrants, IOC President Thomas Bach said Thursday.
- IOC's Bach: Rio de Janeiro Games will 'overwhelm' world Updated: Jan-27-16 4:47 pm
ATHENS, Greece - IOC President Thomas Bach predicted on Wednesday that the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro will "overwhelm" the world, despite Brazil's deep financial crisis.
- Budapest city council approves venues for 2024 Olympic bid Updated: Jan-27-16 7:58 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Budapest's city council on Wednesday approved the list of venues to be included in its bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- Ex-sailing CEO: I was fired for trying to move Rio event Updated: Jan-26-16 4:58 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The former CEO of World Sailing says he was fired for pushing to get rid of polluted Guanabara Bay as the sailing venue of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- AP NewsBreak: US athletes urge expansion of Russian probe Updated: Jan-26-16 4:26 pm
U.S. Olympic athletes sent a letter to leaders of the International Olympic Committee and World Anti-Doping Agency this week, urging them to expand the investigation into Russian doping to sports beyond track and field.
- Sydney Leroux announces her pregnancy, out for the Olympics Updated: Jan-26-16 2:33 pm
U.S. women's national team striker Sydney Leroux won't be available for the Rio Olympics this summer because she and husband Dom Dwyer are expecting their first child.
- CAS to rule on Bulgaria ban from Olympic weightlifting Updated: Jan-26-16 10:56 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The Court of Arbitration for Sport expects to rule this week on Bulgaria's ban from Olympic weightlifting competition because of doping.
- Olympic powerbroker has Kuwaiti court conviction thrown out Updated: Jan-26-16 9:57 am
KUWAIT CITY - A Kuwaiti sheikh who is a major powerbroker in the Olympics and world soccer has been acquitted by an appeals court of violating a gag order in a case about an alleged coup, his lawyer said Tuesday.
- Catchings, Bird, Taurasi headline finalists for US team Updated: Jan-25-16 1:17 pm
Tamika Catchings, Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are in line to try for a fourth straight Olympic gold medal.