- Senate panel OKs concealed guns in schools, 'gun-free' zones Updated: Oct-13-15 10:19 pm
LANSING, Michigan - People with special permits would be allowed to bring concealed firearms inside schools and other "gun-free" areas under legislation advanced Tuesday by a Senate committee.
- Walker noncommittal on allowing guns in college buildings Updated: Oct-13-15 1:15 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker isn't saying where he stands on a bill that would allow concealed carry gun owners to bring weapons into public university and college buildings in Wisconsin.
- Gun advocates challenge zoos' bans on possession around US Updated: Oct-12-15 12:08 pm
DALLAS - Visitors to the Houston Zoo can now pack a little something extra besides a camera and picnic basket.
- Chicago archbishop calls for stronger gun regulations Updated: Oct-11-15 5:06 am
CHICAGO - Chicago Archbishop Blase Cupich (blayz SOO'-pich) is calling for stronger gun regulations in the wake of mass shootings around the nation and street violence in the city.
- Sanders stresses gun control, calls for assault weapon ban Updated: Oct-10-15 7:51 pm
BOULDER, Colorado - Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders on Saturday called for an assault weapons ban in his second straight day of talking about an issue - guns - where he has sometimes deviated from the Democratic Party's consensus.
- Kansas universities prepare for law allowing guns on campus Updated: Oct-10-15 12:09 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A mass shooting at an Oregon college earlier this month has added urgency for Kansas universities that are studying ways to implement a new law that allows most people to carry concealed guns on campus without a permit.
- Schaffer not running again for North Carolina House in 2016 Updated: Oct-09-15 5:37 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - A state House member who has championed legislation that tightened abortion rules and eased gun restrictions announced Friday she won't seek re-election next year.
- UT professor cites campus-carry law in calling it quits Updated: Oct-09-15 8:03 am
AUSTIN, Texas - A tenured professor at the University of Texas says he will not teach next year because the new law allowing for concealed handguns at public universities has left him fearing for his safety.
- Loudon County woman sues Knoxville over gun ban at fair Updated: Oct-08-15 1:07 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A Loudon County woman is suing the city of Knoxville over its decision to ban guns at Chilhowee Park during last month's Tennessee Valley Fair.
- House committee approves bill to allow open carry of guns Updated: Oct-06-15 12:22 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Licensed gun owners would be able to openly carry their weapons in public under a bill approved by a House committee.
- Drugs, guns, conservation among proposed Maine legislation Updated: Oct-05-15 5:36 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Lawmakers and state agencies in Maine have submitted more than 400 requests for bills for the upcoming legislative session, including proposals to fight the state's heroin and opiate epidemic, alter gun laws and protect popular land conservation programs currently frozen by Gov. Paul LePage.
- San Francisco's last gun store closing doors for good Updated: Oct-05-15 8:29 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The only gun store in San Francisco is shuttering for good, saying it can no longer operate in the city's political climate of increased gun control regulations and vocal opposition to its business.
- Nearly 50 new North Carolina laws take effect Thursday Updated: Oct-01-15 7:24 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - All or portions of nearly 50 laws passed by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Pat McCrory during this year's legislative session took effect Thursday. Here's a look at some of the most significant or interesting changes:
- University of Texas holds forum on concealed guns on campus Updated: Sep-30-15 10:25 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Forced by state lawmakers to allow concealed handgun license holders to carry their weapons into classrooms, dorms and other buildings, the University of Texas is trying to figure out where the weapons might still be banned.
- Va. gov, AG seek gun laws to protect domestic victims Updated: Sep-30-15 3:21 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe is challenging the General Assembly to approve legislation to keep guns out of the hands of people who have committed domestic violence.
- Gun rights backers hold open carry event at Ann Arbor park Updated: Sep-30-15 6:26 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A group of gun rights supporters met for a picnic at an Ann Arbor park after they say two restaurants didn't want to host their gathering.
- Vietnam leader: China island work violates international law Updated: Sep-28-15 2:28 pm
NEW YORK - Vietnam's president told The Associated Press on Monday that China's island-building in the disputed South China Sea violates international law and endangers maritime security.
- Ann Arbor wins key decision in dispute over guns in schools Updated: Sep-23-15 8:28 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A judge on Wednesday dismissed a lawsuit challenging a ban on guns in Ann Arbor schools, setting up a likely showdown in a higher court.
- Gun-friendly West Virginia eyes adding new Capitol security Updated: Sep-22-15 3:09 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginians can carry firearms to many city swimming pools, tennis courts and afterschool centers under gun protections okayed by state lawmakers and their governor in 2014. Now those officials in the gun-friendly state are debating whether to ratchet up security at their own Capitol.
- University of Missouri professor sues over campus gun ban Updated: Sep-21-15 5:52 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - A University of Missouri associate law professor has filed a lawsuit contending that the school's ban on concealed weapons on campus violates his constitutional rights.
- Gun industry group gets US support for safety drive Updated: Sep-20-15 9:33 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The gun industry's Newtown-based national trade association and lobbying organization has received a $2.4 million federal grant to promote gun locks and firearm safety, an award the group says is its first under the administration of President Barack Obama.
- Court quashes some District of Columbia gun laws Updated: Sep-18-15 6:19 pm
WASHINGTON - In a mixed decision, a federal appeals court on Friday struck down as unconstitutional several strict gun registration laws in the nation's capital, but upheld other restrictions aimed at public safety.
- Bill to allow guns on university campuses moves forward Updated: Sep-16-15 4:04 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Republican lawmakers fighting to give licensed gun owners the right to carry on state universities earned their first two victories Wednesday as House and Senate committees approved bills that would allow permitted students to take their guns to class.
- Gun-control advocates hope recent wins signal changing tide Updated: Sep-15-15 7:17 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - It's long been conventional wisdom that fighting for gun control is a good way to end a politician's career.
- UNM art exhibit explores police, gun violence Updated: Sep-14-15 10:42 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The University of New Mexico is hosting a debated art show meant to highlight police brutality and gun violence.