- Senate rejects bill to let guns in public buildings Updated: May-04-16 7:47 pm
PHOENIX - The Senate rejected a bill Wednesday that would have allowed concealed-carry permit holders to take firearms into some public buildings.
- Georgia governor's vetoes on guns, faith bucked his GOP base Updated: May-04-16 4:47 pm
ATLANTA - When Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal recently vetoed bills allowing guns on college campuses and shielding religious people who deny people services based on their faith, he was directly bucking his fellow Republican lawmakers, who overwhelmingly supported the proposals, and possibly losing points with his conservative political base.
- The Latest: Georgia vetoes bucked conservative GOP base Updated: May-04-16 4:42 pm
ATLANTA - The Latest on Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal's veto of a bill that would have allowed concealed handguns on college and universities (all times local):
- Oklahoma House panel OKs open carry without permit, training Updated: May-04-16 3:42 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma residents age 21 and up could openly carry guns without a license, training or background checks under legislation that a House committee gave preliminary approval to on Wednesday.
- Montana defends campaign finance law ahead of elections Updated: May-03-16 4:29 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana attorneys on Tuesday defended the state's new campaign finance disclosure law against a gun-rights organization that wants parts of it struck down before next month's primary elections.
- Restraining order bill receives final legislative approval Updated: May-02-16 8:14 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Legislation that would bar people with temporary restraining orders against them from possessing firearms was sent Monday to Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's desk.
- Tennessee campus carry becomes law without Haslam signature Updated: May-02-16 7:03 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A bill allowing staff and faculty at Tennessee's public colleges and universities to be armed on campus became law Monday without the Republican governor's signature.
- Seeking a high-tech solution to make firearms safer Updated: May-02-16 3:36 am
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - Jonathan Mossberg is among a small number of pioneers looking to build a safer gun. But unlike many others, he was in the gun business when he started down that path.
- Time running out on Connecticut legislative session Updated: Apr-30-16 8:11 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Time is quickly running out for Connecticut lawmakers to finish their work this legislative session, including a revised budget for the new fiscal year that's projected to be $960 million in deficit.
- Signatures readied to qualify gun control measure for ballot Updated: Apr-28-16 8:23 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gun control proponents intend to turn in more than a half-million signatures to qualify an initiative for the November ballot to tighten California's already tough gun laws, Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, a sponsor of the measure, said Thursday.
- Tracking the flow of guns used in crime is inexact science Updated: Apr-28-16 5:35 pm
SMYRNA, Georgia - Adventure Outdoors is an 80,000-square-foot store with walls lined with long guns, cases packed with handguns and aisles jammed with all the accessories an avid outdoorsman would need: coolers, clothing, ammo. At the customer service counter is a government-issued poster that warns: "Don't lie for the other guy."
- The Latest: House passes restraining order change Updated: Apr-28-16 12:00 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on bill barring people with temporary restraining orders from possessing firearms (all times local):
- Australian leader defends gun controls on tragic anniversary Updated: Apr-27-16 9:04 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister said Thursday that a review of national gun laws would not weaken strict regulations that had kept Australians safer since 35 people were shot dead by a mass murderer 20 years ago.
- Age gap shows in Clinton win helped by older voters Updated: Apr-27-16 12:28 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democrat Hillary Clinton got a winning boost Tuesday from older voters who turned out in larger numbers than the younger voting bloc that swamped rival Bernie Sanders with support in Connecticut's presidential primary, exit polls showed.
- Illinois bills would limit mentally ill from owning guns Updated: Apr-26-16 3:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois' ability to keep guns out of the hands of people who are mentally ill or pose a danger would be strengthened under several proposals in the General Assembly, but the ideas have raised concerns among gun rights advocates.
- Background check bill riles both sides of gun law debate Updated: Apr-26-16 12:21 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Talk about expanding background checks for gun sales has returned to the Minnesota Legislature, but it won't come to a vote.
- The Latest: Candidates for US Senate meet for first debate Updated: Apr-26-16 12:12 am
STOCKTON, California - The Latest on the U.S. Senate debate (all times local):
- Missouri House advances bill to expand castle doctrine law Updated: Apr-25-16 10:53 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers are advancing a measure that would limit fees to carry a concealed firearm and expand the state's castle doctrine law.
- Democrats seek to block Christie's gun regulation change Updated: Apr-25-16 9:01 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey lawmakers have announced an effort to block Gov. Chris Christie's change to state regulations to make it easier to get a gun permit.
- Senate OKs plan for vote on gun laws despite opposition Updated: Apr-21-16 2:57 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Senate has approved a resolution for a public vote to broaden gun rights despite opposition from the state's business community, including the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder.
- NBA's Thunder among groups opposing 2 Oklahoma gun bills Updated: Apr-20-16 8:10 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Firearms bills to allow most Oklahoma adults to openly carry guns without any training or background checks have led to a showdown in Oklahoma between supporters of expanded gun rights and the state's business community, including the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder.
- California Legislature advances gun-control measures Updated: Apr-19-16 9:18 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California legislative panel has approved seven gun-control bills.
- Senate OKs bill to allow gun carry on Tennessee campuses Updated: Apr-19-16 8:22 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The state Senate on Tuesday voted to allow faculty and workers with handgun carry permits to be armed on the campuses of Tennessee public colleges and universities.
- Mothers touched by tragedy rally behind Hillary Clinton Updated: Apr-19-16 3:29 am
NEW YORK - It wasn't a giant rally with screaming supporters, celebrity friends and a feisty candidate. But the small gathering on behalf of Hillary Clinton in a Brooklyn church still reverberated with emotion.
- University of Missouri countersues professor in gun lawsuit Updated: Apr-16-16 1:17 pm
COLUMBIA, Missouri - The University of Missouri is countersuing a law school professor who has asked a court to invalidate the university's ban on firearms.