- DC can enforce 'good reason' handgun requirement, for now Updated: Jun-29-15 4:27 pm
WASHINGTON - People who want to carry a concealed handgun in the nation's capital will once again have to show a good reason, at least until that portion of the law is argued in court.
- Pennsylvania court rejects law that aided NRA gun challenges Updated: Jun-25-15 5:41 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A Pennsylvania state court on Thursday struck down a law designed to make it easier for gun owners and organizations like the National Rifle Association to challenge local firearms ordinances in court.
- Lifting Sunday hunting ban on guns gets final legislative OK Updated: Jun-24-15 4:40 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's long-standing ban on hunting with firearms on Sundays now only needs Gov. Pat McCrory's signature for it to end after legislation received final General Assembly approval Wednesday.
- NY gun law critic says registration data show low compliance Updated: Jun-23-15 11:44 am
ALBANY, New York - A group opposed to New York's two-year-old gun law says registration data show few owners complied with the requirement to register firearms reclassified as assault weapons.
- Appeals court says US citizen abroad can challenge gun ban Updated: Jun-23-15 11:40 am
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court says a U.S. citizen living in Canada should have a trial to challenge a federal law that bans people living outside the country from buying guns when they come back to visit.
- Uber says drivers and passengers banned from carrying guns Updated: Jun-19-15 8:01 pm
NEW YORK - Ride-hailing app company Uber says it is banning its riders and drivers from carrying guns.
- Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders comes to Nevada Updated: Jun-19-15 5:01 pm
LAS VEGAS - Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders brought his long-shot campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination to Las Vegas on Friday, echoing front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton as he called for an expansion of President Obama's executive actions to shield some immigrants from deportation.
- Sawed-off shotguns legal in Indiana starting July 1 Updated: Jun-19-15 4:23 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana residents soon will be able to legally own manufactured sawed-off shotguns under a repeal of the state's ban on their possession.
- Changes to NC gun laws heading to Senate Updated: Jun-17-15 8:14 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Nearly three hours of additional House debate on a bill easing some North Carolina concealed weapons restrictions and streamlining pistol purchase permit applications with local sheriffs did little to change the final result.
- Proposed legislation would expand concealed weapons in Ohio Updated: Jun-17-15 10:46 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An expanded version of Ohio's concealed weapons law would allow guns in places such as colleges and day cares and on private aircraft.
- Federal court hears arguments over concealed weapons policy Updated: Jun-16-15 9:38 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - There is no evidence that crime goes up in places where concealed weapons permits are issued more freely, an attorney told a federal appeals court on Tuesday.
- Gun rights activist challenging zoo's no-weapons policy Updated: Jun-16-15 5:09 pm
ST. LOUIS - The St. Louis Zoo has won the fight for now in blocking a gun-rights activist from carrying a weapon on the site's grounds.
- Abbott at indoor gun range to sign open, campus carry bills Updated: Jun-13-15 7:37 pm
PFLUGERVILLE, Texas - Gov. Greg Abbott stopped at a gun range to sign into law bills letting Texans carry concealed handguns on college campuses and openly carry them virtually everywhere else.
- Connecticut gun permit law prompts federal legislation Updated: Jun-11-15 5:32 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Members of Connecticut's congressional delegation announced Thursday they have introduced new federal legislation to encourage other states to develop handgun permitting programs similar to the system currently operating in Connecticut.
- Haslam calls on locals to influence 'changing Legislature' Updated: Jun-09-15 12:40 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam on Tuesday issued an appeal to officials from Tennessee cities and towns to help influence what he described as a "changing" state Legislature less concerned with the interests of traditional institutions.
- NC gun rights bill sent back to committee ahead of vote Updated: Jun-08-15 8:37 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A bill that would repeal North Carolina's pistol-permit application system has been sent back to a legislative committee amid mounting opposition to the measure from county sheriffs who currently approve or deny handgun purchases.
- NY Senate votes to tweak landmark gun law Updated: Jun-08-15 6:38 pm
ALBANY, New York - The New York Senate has endorsed changes to the landmark gun control law passed in the wake of the 2012 elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut
- Justices reject NRA appeal over San Francisco gun laws Updated: Jun-08-15 9:42 am
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court has turned down another National Rifle Association-led appeal aimed at loosening gun restrictions and instead left in place two San Francisco gun laws.
- Correction: Guns-Background Checks story Updated: Jun-05-15 8:02 pm
SALEM, Oregon - In a story June 2 about Oregon's new requirements for gun background checks, The Associated Press reported erroneously the effect of the existing state law on online firearms purchases. Gun purchasers are allowed to skip a background check if they purchase firearms online.
- Federal court tosses challenge to Kansas gun law Updated: Jun-05-15 6:26 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A federal judge rejected a challenge Friday to a Kansas law that makes it a felony for U.S. government workers to regulate guns and ammunition made, sold and kept only in the state, ruling that the gun control group that filed the suit failed to prove its members are directly harmed by the law.
- Haley: New domestic violence law 1st culture-changing step Updated: Jun-04-15 1:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's new domestic violence law marks a first step in changing a culture that has quietly ignored abuse, Gov. Nikki Haley said Thursday, just before she signed the bill.
- Senate votes down bid to give lawmakers special gun rights Updated: Jun-03-15 6:25 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's Senate shot down a last-minute bid to grant expanded conceal-carry privileges to retired state lawmakers.
- Christie blasts overhaul of NSA phone records program Updated: Jun-03-15 10:23 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says sweeping changes to surveillance laws that will eliminate the National Security Agency's disputed bulk phone-records collection program will make the country less safe.
- Kansas lawmakers OK bill further limiting local gun rules Updated: Jun-01-15 6:57 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Cities and counties in Kansas couldn't use zoning ordinances to limit gun sales or impose special taxes on firearms under a bill state legislators have approved.
- Vietnam: Don't tie US weapons sales to human rights issues Updated: Jun-01-15 4:37 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Questions about human rights violations by the Vietnamese government should have no bearing on whether the U.S. should fully remove its ban on lethal weapons' sales to Hanoi, Vietnam's defense minister said Monday after meeting with U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter.