- Senate votes down bid to give lawmakers special gun rights Updated: Jun-03-15 6:25 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's Senate shot down a last-minute bid to grant expanded conceal-carry privileges to retired state lawmakers.
- NC House panel narrowly approves updated gun bill Updated: Jun-03-15 12:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A House committee has narrowly approved a gun measure to repeal North Carolina's pistol permit application system run by local sheriffs and allow lawmakers to carry concealed weapons at the Legislative Building.
- Christie blasts overhaul of NSA phone records program Updated: Jun-03-15 10:23 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says sweeping changes to surveillance laws that will eliminate the National Security Agency's disputed bulk phone-records collection program will make the country less safe.
- House panel backs bill amending gun background checks bill Updated: Jun-03-15 2:26 am
SALEM, Oregon - An Oregon House committee advanced legislation Tuesday that makes changes to a bill requiring background checks for most private firearm transfers.
- Kansas lawmakers approve $131M budget for state court system Updated: Jun-01-15 9:46 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators on Monday approved a budget for the state court system to head off the possibility that judicial offices would be forced to close next week.
- Kansas lawmakers OK bill further limiting local gun rules Updated: Jun-01-15 6:57 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Cities and counties in Kansas couldn't use zoning ordinances to limit gun sales or impose special taxes on firearms under a bill state legislators have approved.
- Vietnam: Don't tie US weapons sales to human rights issues Updated: Jun-01-15 4:37 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Questions about human rights violations by the Vietnamese government should have no bearing on whether the U.S. should fully remove its ban on lethal weapons' sales to Hanoi, Vietnam's defense minister said Monday after meeting with U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter.
- Texas Legislature approves concealed handguns at colleges Updated: May-31-15 6:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Legislature has approved allowing residents with licenses to carry concealed handguns on public college campuses - but included a caveat that lets college presidents designate "gun-free zones."
- Texas Senate OKs concealed handguns on college campuses Updated: May-30-15 6:44 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Senate has approved allowing license holders to carry concealed handguns on public college campuses - but included a caveat that lets college presidents designate "gun-free zones."
- Oklahoma voters to decide death penalty, farming questions Updated: May-30-15 12:34 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma voters will have an opportunity to weigh in on at least two issues during the 2016 next general election - whether the death penalty and if the right of citizens to farm and ranch should be enshrined in the state constitution.
- Survey shows majority support for NY gun control law Updated: May-30-15 10:05 am
ALBANY, New York - A recent survey shows majority support among registered voters for New York's gun control law enacted two years ago.
- McCain: US should allow sale of defensive weapons to Vietnam Updated: May-30-15 5:16 am
SINGAPORE - America needs to provide Vietnam with more defensive weapons, U.S. Sen. John McCain said Saturday as tensions in the Asia Pacific region heightened over China's expanding land reclamation projects in the South China Sea.
- Texas poised to allow open carry of handguns Updated: May-29-15 8:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas lawmakers on Friday approved carrying handguns openly on the streets of the nation's second most-populous state, sending the bill to Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who immediately promised to sign it and reverse a ban dating to the post-Civil War era.
- Senate OKs bill allowing concealed guns at foster homes Updated: May-29-15 6:41 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada senators have passed a bill that would allow concealed carry permit holders to have a gun at a foster home in certain circumstances.
- Texas lawmakers reach agreement on open carry bill Updated: May-28-15 8:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas lawmakers on Thursday negotiated a final version of a bill allowing licensed open carry of handguns, easing concerns of police and priming it for a vote that would send it to Gov. Greg Abbott.
- Bill allowing Sunday hunting with guns approved by NC Senate Updated: May-28-15 8:32 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Legislation that would end North Carolina's long-standing ban on hunting with guns on Sundays is possibly one vote away from going to Gov. Pat McCrory's desk.
- Increased domestic violence penalties headed to Haley's desk Updated: May-28-15 4:59 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A bill increasing penalties in South Carolina for repeat domestic violence offenders and banning batterers from having guns is heading to the governor's desk.
- Fight over neighborhood gun pit calms in Rockingham County Updated: May-25-15 11:04 am
STONEVILLE, North Carolina - The fight over whether a homeowner should be allowed to build a pit on his land to fire his guns is quieting down in Rockingham County.
- New Kansas law on concealed guns concerns campuses Updated: May-24-15 1:17 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - Faculty and students have expressed concern about how a law allowing people to carry concealed guns into buildings on Kansas college campuses will affect the classroom.
- Texas Senate approves open carry of handguns Updated: May-22-15 10:57 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas took a major step toward allowing the licensed open carry of handguns, with Senate approval Friday night after a fierce debate over restricting police powers to ask people carrying guns if they are legal.
- Nevada Senate approves "Pop Tart gun" bill; goes to governor Updated: May-22-15 4:55 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers have approved a Republican-backed bill barring schools from punishing students for playing with toy guns.
- Capitol cops get bathroom training after guns left in toilet Updated: May-20-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Capitol Police officers are getting training after officers accidentally left their guns in the Capitol's public bathrooms three times this year.
- Grass Roots North Carolina runs radio ad backing gun bill Updated: May-19-15 2:50 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A gun-rights advocacy group is running a radio ad to try to pressure House Republican leaders into letting colleagues vote on a wide-ranging measure that would further ease firearm control restrictions.
- Judge stops DC from enforcing part of 'good reason' gun law Updated: May-19-15 1:27 pm
WASHINGTON - People in the nation's capital no longer have to show a good reason to get a permit to carry concealed handguns outside their homes and businesses.
- Lawmakers considering overhaul of smart gun law Updated: May-13-15 2:48 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A never enforced state law requiring pistols sold in New Jersey to have technology allowing only the gun's owners to fire them could be overhauled