- Oculus Rift delays flatten virtual-reality fan fervor Updated: Apr-29-16 5:46 pm
LOS ANGELES - Virtual reality, oddly enough, isn't immune to the problems that arise in practical reality. Just ask would-be fans of the Oculus Rift headset, many - possibly most - of whom are still waiting for their $600 gadgets more than four weeks after they started shipping .
- Review: Kindle Oasis aims at avid readers, pricey for others Updated: Apr-28-16 6:14 pm
NEW YORK - The Kindle Oasis is Amazon's sleekest, lightest e-book reader yet - and at $290, unnecessary unless you're a die-hard reader.
- Sony sees less red ink, postpones outlook because of quake Updated: Apr-28-16 6:54 am
TOKYO - Sony Corp. reported an 88.4 billion yen ($818 million) loss in January-March, a smaller flow of red ink than a year earlier, but it postponed Thursday giving its annual outlook until May, citing damage from major earthquakes in southwestern Japan earlier this month.
- Smartphone health: Apple releases software for medical apps Updated: Apr-28-16 4:22 am
CUPERTINO, California - Apple is edging its way a little further into health care with the release of new iPhone apps that patients can use to manage their own medical conditions - from diabetes to pregnancy and even depression.
- FBI says it won't disclose how it accessed locked iPhone Updated: Apr-27-16 11:16 pm
WASHINGTON - The FBI said Wednesday that it will not publicly disclose the method that allowed it to access a locked iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino attackers, saying it lacks enough "technical information" about the software vulnerability that was exploited.
- Nintendo sinks into bigger quarterly loss on weak sales Updated: Apr-27-16 6:23 am
TOKYO - Japanese video-game maker Nintendo Co. reported a 24 billion yen ($216 million) loss for January-March Wednesday, bigger than the loss it reported the previous year.
- Apple reports iPhone sales down, 1st revenue drop since 2003 Updated: Apr-26-16 7:43 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple sold more than 51 million iPhones in the first three months of this year - and that's the problem.
- The top iPhone and iPad apps on App Store Updated: Apr-26-16 4:11 pm
App Store Official Charts for the week ending April 24, 2016:
- Nokia to buy France's Withings in $190 million deal Updated: Apr-26-16 7:27 am
HELSINKI - In a move to speed its entry into digital health products, Nokia says it plans to acquire the French consumer electronics company Withings S.A., in a 170 million-euro ($191 million) deal.
- 3-D printers design engine of replica plane at Topeka museum Updated: Apr-25-16 4:27 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A University of Kansas professor has used 3-D printers to design an engine for a Topeka museum's replica of a World War I fighter plane.
- Pope to youth: Happiness can't be downloaded like an app Updated: Apr-24-16 7:44 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has told teenagers happiness can't be downloaded like a cellphone app.
- Feds say they've accessed phone at center of Apple data case Updated: Apr-23-16 3:52 am
NEW YORK - The U.S. Justice Department said it has withdrawn a request to force Apple to reveal data from a cellphone linked to a New York drug case after someone provided federal investigators with the phone's passcode.
- The Latest: Feds don't need Apple's help in iPhone data case Updated: Apr-22-16 10:33 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on to the legal battle between Apple and the Justice Department, which asked a judge to force the tech giant to reveal data from an iPhone linked to a New York City drug case (all times local):
- How to watch baseball online in 2016 Updated: Apr-22-16 12:02 pm
NEW YORK - It's a little easier to watch baseball online this year, though no one would call it safe at home quite yet.
- EU expands battle with Google with Android antitrust probe Updated: Apr-20-16 4:23 pm
BRUSSELS - The European Union is broadening its battle with Google, alleging that the technology giant rigs the global market for mobile apps by making its Android operating system give preferential treatment to its own products.
- Sara Bareilles writes an original turn-off-your-phone song Updated: Apr-20-16 10:35 am
NEW YORK - Sara Bareilles' songwriting skills are all over the new Broadway musical "Waitress" - even down to the cellphone warning.
- Bill Campbell, mentor to Steve Jobs, other tech CEOs, dies Updated: Apr-18-16 7:33 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Bill Campbell, a former Ivy League football coach who became a management guru for Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and other Silicon Valley luminaries, has died. He was 75.
- Rhode Island launches mobile voter tool ahead of primary Updated: Apr-17-16 2:14 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island has introduced a new mobile website tool to help smartphone-carrying voters on Election Day.
- Apple continues feud with government in New York iPhone case Updated: Apr-15-16 5:55 pm
Apple says authorities have "utterly failed" to show they need the company's help to get data from a locked iPhone in a New York federal drug case, where the tech giant is continuing its fight with the government over access to customers' phones.
- AP Explains: Privacy wars pit tech firms vs. the feds Updated: Apr-15-16 1:28 pm
NEW YORK - Companies like Apple and Microsoft are pushing back against government surveillance in the courts, arguing that federal authorities have gone too far in obtaining chats, emails and other private information from phones and online services.
- Deep in the virtual world: A newbie's first brush with VR Updated: Apr-14-16 4:23 pm
NEW YORK - My descent from the boat, gliding through schools of fish and clouds of phosphorescent jellyfish, seemed to be going pretty smoothly. At least until the shark emerged from the deeper gloom and tried to tear its way into my protective cage.
- iPad vs. paper: Teachers report big difference Updated: Apr-14-16 10:02 am
BEND, Oregon - Bringing iPads into second-grade math class made little difference for students but a big difference for teachers, according to research at a Bend elementary school.
- Amazon's latest Kindle mostly wants to disappear Updated: Apr-13-16 1:08 pm
NEW YORK - Will loyal fans of e-books be willing to pay tablet prices for dedicated e-readers? Amazon is about to find out.
- Uber starts motorbike taxi service in Indonesian capital Updated: Apr-13-16 5:37 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Ride-hailing app Uber on Wednesday launched a motorbike taxi service in the Indonesian capital where Southeast Asian rivals Go-Jek and Grab are already battling for dominance.
- Ohio initiative to help bridge digital divide, homework gap Updated: Apr-09-16 10:14 am
CLEVELAND - Daysha Higgins had a computer at home until it blew out nearly two years ago, but she's never had the internet at home