- Apple, Google bring smartphone functions to car dashboards Updated: Sep-03-15 6:59 pm
LOS ANGELES - Playing deejay with voice commands will get easier for more Americans this fall as some best-selling cars get updated with software that integrates smartphones into the dashboard.
- New federal requirements on cellphone surveillance Updated: Sep-03-15 6:46 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal law enforcement officials will be routinely required to get a search warrant before using secretive and intrusive cellphone-tracking technology under a new Justice Department policy announced Thursday.
- Alcoa plans $60M 3D manufacturing expansion in Pennsylvania Updated: Sep-03-15 2:37 pm
PITTSBURGH - Alcoa is spending $60 million to expand its three-dimensional manufacturing capabilities at a technical center in the Pittsburgh suburbs.
- Samsung, others seek piece of nascent smartwatch market Updated: Sep-03-15 1:15 pm
NEW YORK - Samsung and other tech companies showcased new computerized wristwatches this week - all aimed at challenging Apple, a relative newcomer to selling smartwatches.
- Berlin gadget show: Tiny PCs and high-end handsets Updated: Sep-03-15 12:32 pm
BERLIN - Gadget makers have been showcasing their latest gear at Europe's flagship technology show, the IFA in Berlin, this week.
- Report: Malware targeting Android smartphones on the rise Updated: Sep-02-15 7:38 am
BERLIN - Malicious software targeting smartphones with the Android operating system is becoming more common, with some handsets already infected when they're bought.
- A look at what migrants are carrying with them to Europe Updated: Sep-01-15 1:53 pm
ROSZKE, Hungary - To survive days on end of walking and improvised camping in harsh weather, they must concentrate on essentials: pain medicine, foot powder and first aid, food and personal hygiene items. The savviest have smartphones with backup battery power and SIM cards that work in the countries they're passing through. Otherwise, they can end up walking in circles without satellite navigation, particularly at night, when many travel to avoid police.
- 5 things to watch at the IFA gadget show in Berlin Updated: Sep-01-15 11:56 am
BERLIN - Some 1,500 companies and over 250,000 people are expected to visit Europe's flagship technology show, the IFA in Berlin, when it opens to the public on Friday.
- Review: 'Star Wars' toy rush begins with 'Disney Infinity' Updated: Sep-01-15 8:50 am
When it comes to "Star Wars," some aliens in a different galaxy said it best: Resistance is futile.
- Tech Tips: Windows 10 privacy settings worth checking Updated: Sep-01-15 3:13 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft's new Windows 10 system offers more personalization than before, but it also collects more data than people might be used to on PCs, from contacts and appointments to their physical location and even Wi-Fi passwords.
- Apple aims to boost mobile device sales with Cisco's help Updated: Aug-31-15 6:10 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple is leaning on Cisco Systems' Internet networking expertise in its latest attempt to sell more iPhones and iPads to corporate customers.
- Google tries to woo iPhone owners with Android watch app Updated: Aug-31-15 12:55 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google is introducing an application that will connect Android smartwatches with Apple's iPhone, escalating the rivals' battle to strap their technology on people's wrists.
- Benton County deputies to get tablet computers Updated: Aug-30-15 12:31 pm
BENTONVILLE, Arkansas - Benton County deputies are getting dozens of tablet computers they can take to their calls, allowing them to upload reports directly from the field.
- Apple schedules new product event for Sept. 9 Updated: Aug-27-15 3:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has announced plans for a new product event on Sept. 9 in San Francisco, where the giant tech company is expected to show off new iPhones and other gadgets.
- Sharks, skateboards, survival debut on Discovery VR network Updated: Aug-27-15 12:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - Discovery is unleashing the first videos for its virtual reality network, Discovery VR, a fledgling service that is testing the limits and capabilities of the immersive format.
- Review: New phones, tablets keep Samsung at Android helm Updated: Aug-27-15 3:19 am
NEW YORK - Samsung's new smartphones and tablets might not offer enough to entice current iPhone and iPad users to switch, but they keep Samsung at the head of the class among Android gadget makers.
- Smartphone app identifies weeds invasive to Alaska Updated: Aug-26-15 5:43 am
KENAI, Alaska - A new smartphone application is helping researchers learn where plant species invasive to Alaska are growing.
- Tech startups want to change the way you drive Updated: Aug-25-15 12:17 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A veteran computer scientist hates sitting in his car at stop lights, so he creates software that makes the experience less annoying. A former engineering professor wants to double the range of today's electric vehicles. And an aeronautics expert believes flying cars shouldn't be science fiction.
- Correction: Spying TVs-California story Updated: Aug-21-15 7:25 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - In a story Aug. 20 about legislation to warn consumers about recording TVs, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Samsung changed its policy on recording conversations. The company changed its manuals to reflect that its smart TVs do not record or store conversations. AP also erroneously reported that Samsung supports the legislation by Assemblyman Mike Gatto, AB1116. The company has not taken a public position on the bill.
- Gartner says smartphone sales growth slows Updated: Aug-20-15 3:01 pm
NEW YORK - Worldwide sales of smartphones in the second quarter grew at the slowest pace since 2013 as sales in China declined for the first time, according to research firm Gartner Inc.
- Pittsburgh Parking Authority approves smartphone parking app Updated: Aug-20-15 2:45 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Parking Authority board has approved a deal that will enable motorists to pay for parking meters using an app on their smartphones.
- Nanwalek schools receive iPads as part of national program Updated: Aug-20-15 7:47 am
NANWALEK, Alaska - Students in the Kenai Peninsula town of Nanwalek are using iPads as part of a nationwide initiative to connect schools in economically-challenged areas with technology.
- Google expands low-cost phone program in 6 African countries Updated: Aug-18-15 7:50 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Google is introducing a low-priced smartphone in six African countries where most people still can't afford an Internet-connected device.
- Correction: Disney Startups story Updated: Aug-18-15 3:59 pm
GLENDALE, California - In some versions of an Aug. 11 story about Disney's accelerator program, Techstars was incorrectly spelled with a capital 'S' in the middle..
- LG to put OLED first as Chinese LCD makers narrow gap Updated: Aug-17-15 4:58 am
PAJU, South Korea - South Korea's LG Display said Monday that it will change its investment priority to advanced displays called OLEDs as Chinese manufacturers quickly catch up with their South Korean rivals in the LCD market.