- 6 road-trip apps to make the miles fly by Updated: May-25-16 12:36 pm
TEXARKANA, Arkansas - Hitting the road this summer? Forget Yelp and those hotel booking apps - they're useful, but boring. Instead, pack along these apps to liven things up along the way. You might even learn something.
- Microsoft cuts more jobs in troubled mobile unit Updated: May-25-16 8:01 am
NEW YORK - Microsoft will cut up to 1,850 jobs and book an approximately $950 million writedown as it attempts to salvage its rocky entrance into the smartphone market.
- Mishawaka High uses grant for technology in the classroom Updated: May-25-16 5:03 am
MISHAWAKA, Indiana - There is no shortage of noise Monday afternoon at Mishawaka High School where the whirring of drones and the buzzing of 3-D printers are becoming commonplace.
- Huawei files lawsuits accusing Samsung of violating patents Updated: May-25-16 12:55 am
BEIJING - Chinese tech giant Huawei said Wednesday it has filed patent infringement lawsuits against South Korean mobile phone rival Samsung in the United States and China, in a case that highlights the rise of Asian competitors as technology creators.
- Plainview pay phone's days could be numbered Updated: May-22-16 11:11 am
PLAINVIEW, Nebraska - The last time anyone put a quarter in the pay phone outside the Road Runner gas station in Plainview, Dave Heineman was the governor.
- Utah lawmaker wants opt-in requirement for porn Updated: May-20-16 4:38 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah lawmaker who succeeded in having pornography declared a public health crisis intends to continue his crusade through a bill that could require pornography filters to be placed on the Internet.
- Maine allows schools to trade in Apple iPads, laptops Updated: May-20-16 3:24 pm
AUBURN, Maine - Apple and Maine education officials are allowing school districts to trade in iPads for laptops after teachers and students say the computers are better for schoolwork.
- Apple's stores getting new look as other retailers struggle Updated: May-19-16 5:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple is getting ready to unveil a stylish new product that's not for sale - a new look for its stores.
- Why your phone may never get Android's latest features Updated: May-19-16 12:20 pm
NEW YORK - Better graphics and the ability to run two apps side by side are coming to Google's latest version of Android, dubbed N.
- Opportunities and hurdles with Google's Daydream VR vision Updated: May-19-16 3:31 am
NEW YORK - Upcoming virtual-reality headsets based on Google's new Daydream VR system won't be as sophisticated as Facebook's Oculus Rift.
- Google echoes Amazon's Echo, opens new virtual-reality door Updated: May-18-16 8:02 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Google wants to play an even bigger role in managing people's daily lives, while also nudging them into an alternate reality, as the Internet company responds to competitive threats posed by Facebook, Amazon and Apple.
- Illinois lawmakers pass limits on phone-tracking technology Updated: May-18-16 6:45 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois lawmakers have approved a bill that restricts how law enforcement agencies use devices that mimic cell towers to track phone locations in criminal investigations.
- The Latest: Google seen ahead in some areas, no so in others Updated: May-18-16 4:58 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California -
- Nokia mobile phones are coming back Updated: May-18-16 11:30 am
HELSINKI - The Nokia mobile phone is coming back.
- China's Huawei looks to build global smartphone brand Updated: May-17-16 4:23 am
SHENZHEN, China - Chinese tech giant Huawei wants Americans to start thinking of it as a stylish smartphone brand.
- Nintendo eyeing filmmaking for growth after Mariners sale Updated: May-15-16 11:52 pm
TOKYO - Japanese video game maker Nintendo Co. is eyeing the movie business for growth.
- YouTube tests messaging feature to keep people in its app Updated: May-13-16 4:31 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - YouTube is testing a messaging feature in its smartphone app so people can share and discuss videos without resorting to other ways to connect with their friends and family.
- Samsung Gear expands virtual-reality arsenal Updated: May-11-16 5:42 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Virtual reality specialist Oculus is trying to dazzle consumers by adding more entertainment and educational options to the Samsung Gear headset in hopes of transforming the technological curiosity into a cultural phenomenon.
- What you get from Dish and Sony online TV channels Updated: May-11-16 2:28 pm
NEW YORK - Dish's Sling TV and Sony's PlayStation Vue both offer ways to watch traditional TV channels over the Internet without a cable box or satellite dish.
- Review: You can channel-surf online, but you may miss cable Updated: May-11-16 2:27 pm
NEW YORK - It might feel cathartic to ditch your cable TV company. But if you're looking to channel-surf online, you're going to find services such as Sling TV or PlayStation Vue coming up short in some respects.
- EU regulator blocks takeover of UK mobile phone operator O2 Updated: May-11-16 7:31 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union's regulator has blocked the $15 billion takeover of British mobile phone operator O2 by CK Hutchison over concerns the deal would have stifled innovation and led to higher prices for consumers.
- Camera boat's river map will be like a 'Google Street View' Updated: May-10-16 5:06 pm
FREDERICKSBURG, Virginia - People will soon be able to go online and get a virtual tour of a Virginia river system that Capt. John Smith explored in the 1600s.
- Brownsville Elementary lauded as innovation incubator Updated: May-08-16 11:59 am
BROWNSVILLE, Washington - Brownsville Elementary second-graders got their first taste of computer programming with Edison, a small robot wobbling inside a thick, black line of magnetic material. Try as he might, he couldn't get out.
- Sioux City libraries embrace technology as checkouts decline Updated: May-08-16 10:44 am
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - In a world where smartphones, iPads, Kindles and Netflix constantly compete for people's attention, Sioux City Public Library Director Betsy Thompson acknowledges fewer people are walking into the library to check out a book.
- Legislatures seek limits on phone-tracking technology Updated: May-08-16 10:21 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Law enforcement departments' powerful devices that mimic cell towers and track phone locations are raising privacy concerns and inspiring legislation to restrict how police can use the technology in criminal investigations.