- Brookings County pursuing smartphone-capable alert system Updated: Aug-02-15 9:31 am
BROOKINGS, South Dakota - Brookings County will soon have a new emergency alert system capable of sending messages to smartphones and other cellphones.
- More online, more on mobile: advertising executive to IOC Updated: Aug-02-15 5:32 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A leading advertising executive told the IOC on Sunday that the Olympic body needs to stay relevant with the younger generation and concentrate more of its content on the Internet and via mobile devices.
- Texas businessman finds cellphone that fell from plane Updated: Jul-30-15 5:31 pm
WICHITA FALLS, Texas - A Texas businessman used an app to find his iPhone in a rural pasture after it fell about 9,300 feet during a flight from Houston.
- Investigators looking for man who took iPad from little boy Updated: Jul-30-15 8:08 am
TAMARAC, Florida - Broward Sheriff's investigators are searching for a man they say snatched an iPad from a 4-year-old boy as he watched cartoons while waiting for his mother at a beauty salon.
- Review: 5 ways Windows 10 fixes annoyances in predecessor Updated: Jul-29-15 12:14 pm
NEW YORK - It took me just a weekend to get comfortable with Microsoft's new Windows 10 operating system, something I never did with its predecessor, Windows 8, even after nearly three years.
- Brown County tourism officials debut smartphone app Updated: Jul-29-15 4:10 am
NASHVILLE, Indiana - Tourism officials in southern Indiana's Brown County have released a free smartphone app to help guide visitors to the county's quaint shops, restaurants and attractions.
- In Tech: New Motorola smartphones; faster future memory chip Updated: Jul-28-15 4:35 pm
Motorola is refreshing its Android smartphones with better cameras and other improvements as it seeks to lure customers who want lower-cost alternatives to leading smartphones from Apple and Samsung.
- Software turns smartphones into tools for medical research Updated: Jul-27-15 10:46 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Jody Kearns doesn't like to spend time obsessing about her Parkinson's disease. The 56-year-old dietitian from Syracuse, New York, had to give up bicycling because the disorder affected her balance. But she still works, drives and tries to live a normal life.
- Review: Google photo service is strong on search Updated: Jul-23-15 6:55 am
NEW YORK - Google's new service for organizing and backing up images blends some of the best of what Apple and Yahoo have rolled out in recent months.
- BlackBerry to buy crisis-communications software firm AtHoc Updated: Jul-22-15 3:04 pm
WATERLOO, Ontario - BlackBerry Ltd. has signed a deal to buy California-based software company AtHoc, which develops emergency alert systems for government agencies, military bodies, and other organizations.
- Even Apple loyalists taking their time on Apple Watch Updated: Jul-22-15 12:02 pm
NEW YORK - For all those who hailed the iPhone as the "Jesus Phone" in 2007, the Apple Watch's arrival has hardly been the second coming.
- Strong iPhone sales; Apple stock down with few Watch details Updated: Jul-21-15 7:43 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple's latest financial report shows iPhone sales are still surging, driven partly by growth in China. But it also contains hints that Apple's much-vaunted smartwatch may not be selling as fast as Wall Street expected.
- BlackBerry cuts jobs as part of turnaround plan Updated: Jul-21-15 3:23 pm
TORONTO - BlackBerry Ltd. announced another round of job cuts Tuesday as it deals with weak smartphone sales and pushes ahead with a restructuring plan.
- Kauai police crack down on drivers using cellphones Updated: Jul-20-15 2:40 pm
LIHUE, Hawaii - Kauai police say they have issued 539 tickets to people using cellphones while driving, an offense that can come with a pricey $300 fine for first-time law-breakers.
- Ain't misbehavin'? Broadway audience faux pas get spotlight Updated: Jul-20-15 2:10 pm
NEW YORK - Come on along and listen to the lullaby of Broadway: Marimba ringtones! Rat-a-tat texting! The shaming "shhhhh!"
- In Tech: Comcast games, Microsoft music, HBO online Updated: Jul-16-15 4:20 pm
Comcast is adding another hook to try to keep customers in front of the TV: video games in its set-top boxes.
- Spies in the hot seat after Italian surveillance firm breach Updated: Jul-16-15 3:52 pm
LONDON - A dramatic breach at an Italian surveillance company has laid bare the details of government cyberattacks worldwide, putting intelligence chiefs in the hot seat from Cyprus to South Korea. The massive leak has already led to one spymaster's resignation and pulled back the curtain on espionage in the iPhone age.
- As Amazon turns 20, a look at its biggest bets Updated: Jul-16-15 11:56 am
NEW YORK - Amazon has come a long way from selling books out of a Seattle garage.
- Review: Apple Music has everything, perhaps too much Updated: Jul-16-15 4:40 am
LOS ANGELES - Apple's new music service is a valiant effort to catch up in the emerging business of offering unlimited music on demand for a monthly price. It does so while acknowledging the legacy of iTunes, the world's most popular store for buying individual songs to own.
- Apple's updates iPod Touch amid declining sales Updated: Jul-15-15 2:49 pm
NEW YORK - Although the iPod's popularity has waned, Apple is updating its music player for the first time in nearly three years by giving the flagship Touch model a faster processor and better cameras.
- Officials may consider iPad, tablet access for W.Va. inmates Updated: Jul-14-15 1:02 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Inmates in West Virginia's regional jails could soon have access to Apple iPads and other digital tablets.
- Nintendo's Iwata who led through successes, woes dies at 55 Updated: Jul-13-15 10:10 am
TOKYO - Satoru Iwata, who led Japanese video game company Nintendo Co. through years of growth with its Pokemon and Super Mario franchises, has died after a lengthy illness, drawing a flood of emotional tributes from game fans and industry rivals, the company said Monday. He was 55.
- Review: Microsoft Office in a world of multiple devices Updated: Jul-09-15 3:23 pm
NEW YORK - Microsoft's new Office apps do a good job of helping us navigate a world in which we frequently switch from one device to another - from a Mac to a Windows PC, with a smartphone or tablet along the way.
- Police: Drivers following GPS devices turning onto tracks Updated: Jul-09-15 8:07 am
CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio - Officials in northeast Ohio say they're working to improve a dangerous train crossing after numerous drivers following GPS directions have turned right onto the tracks.
- Nebraska athletes to get laptops with more scholarship money Updated: Jul-08-15 7:18 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst has announced plans to provide additional benefits to athletes that are now allowed under NCAA rules.