- Inmate airlifted to hospital after fight at Homestead prison Updated: Oct-13-15 3:02 am
HOMESTEAD, Florida - An inmate at Dade Correctional Institution in Homestead has been injured and airlifted to a hospital after a fight with another inmate.
- Escaped San Diego prisoner captured in Oregon Updated: Oct-13-15 2:11 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A convicted robber who escaped at an Illinois rest stop more than a month ago as he was being returned to prison in California was captured in Oregon on Monday.
- Police: Western Kentucky inmate back in custody Updated: Oct-12-15 8:58 pm
PADUCAH, Kentucky - Police say an inmate who escaped from a facility in western Kentucky has been taken back into custody.
- Inmate escapes from transition house Updated: Oct-12-15 8:31 pm
TARPON SPRINGS, Florida - Officials say an inmate has escaped from a Tampa Bay area transition house.
- Judge orders Arkansas to disclose source of execution drugs Updated: Oct-12-15 8:24 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas was ordered Monday to release information about its supplier of lethal injection drugs to attorneys for death row inmates who are challenging the state's execution secrecy law.
- Judge: Class-action status allowed in deaf inmates' lawsuit Updated: Oct-12-15 3:59 pm
CHICAGO - Attorneys who brought a 2011 complaint alleging the Illinois Department of Corrections violated the constitutional rights of deaf inmates said Monday that the case is proceeding after a federal judge granted class-action status to the lawsuit.
- California may allow inmate firefighters with violent pasts Updated: Oct-12-15 2:48 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California officials are considering allowing inmates with violent backgrounds to work outside prison walls fighting wildfires, and the idea is generating concerns about public safety.
- Man arrested in domestic dispute escapes from hospital Updated: Oct-12-15 12:07 pm
MCKEESPORT, Pennsylvania - Police are searching for a man who escaped from a Pittsburgh-area hospital while in custody after an alleged domestic dispute.
- Tippecanoe County program helps inmates with mental illness Updated: Oct-12-15 7:43 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A new volunteer program offered by the Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office is offering support to inmates with mental illnesses.
- Inmate serving 99 years for theft escapes work center Updated: Oct-11-15 3:26 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Authorities say an inmate serving 99 years has escaped from the Red Eagle Work Center in Alabama.
- Does Arkansas' time in international spotlight await? Updated: Oct-10-15 3:01 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - While a debate continues over whether a significant portion of Arkansas' execution procedures should be kept as an official state secret, a glance to its western neighbor may be in order.
- FCC to consider further cutting cost of calls for inmates Updated: Oct-10-15 11:17 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Federal Communications Commission is moving to further limit how much companies can charge for phone calls made from jails and prisons, capping rates on all types of calls.
- New Orleans mayor, sheriff meet over prisoner dispute Updated: Oct-09-15 9:13 pm
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and Orleans Parish Sheriff Marlin Gusman had little to say after meeting Friday in a federal judge's chambers to discuss their long-running differences over Gusman's management of the city's jail.
- 2 suspects identified in slaying of 'San Quentin 6' inmate Updated: Oct-09-15 7:19 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California corrections officials say two inmates already serving life sentences are suspects in the slaying of a notorious killer who spent 45 years in segregation after a bloody 1971 escape attempt at San Quentin State Prison.
- Judge denies offer to use sedative as means of execution Updated: Oct-09-15 7:08 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Challenges to Alabama's three-drug lethal injection procedure for executions will proceed in federal court after a judge denied the state's motion to dismiss the lawsuits and rejected a suggestion from the inmates to use a large dose of a sedative as an alternate method.
- Arkansas judge halts 8 executions as inmates challenge law Updated: Oct-09-15 5:58 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - An Arkansas judge on Friday halted the upcoming executions of eight death row inmates, dealing a blow to the state's efforts to begin putting prisoners to death for the first time in a decade.
- Ohio prisons officials challenge FDA stand on execution drug Updated: Oct-09-15 5:55 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - With two dozen scheduled executions in limbo, Ohio sent a forceful letter to Washington on Friday asserting that the state believes it can obtain a lethal-injection drug from overseas without violating any laws.
- Idaho teacher who sexually abused students is denied parole Updated: Oct-09-15 4:06 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Authorities denied parole Friday for a former Idaho teacher who sexually abused and impregnated at least three female students.
- Texas tops list in number of inmates set for early release Updated: Oct-09-15 12:54 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Nearly 600 of the more than 5,500 federal inmates serving sentences for drug crimes and scheduled for early release from prison next month are in Texas, which is the most of any state.
- Lawsuit: Jail censors inmate mail, forces postcard use Updated: Oct-09-15 11:36 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A nonprofit that advocates for prisoners' rights says a Tennessee county is illegally censoring mail the group sends to inmates and forcing the use of postcards instead of letters.
- Fatherhood program for South Dakota inmates loses funding Updated: Oct-09-15 8:06 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The future is unclear for a fatherhood program for outgoing inmates in South Dakota after it lost its federal grant funding.
- Arkansas inmates use Oklahoma case in bid to stop executions Updated: Oct-09-15 7:51 am
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Attorneys representing Arkansas death row inmates are citing troubles in neighboring Oklahoma as they urge a judge to halt eight upcoming executions.
- 10 inmates die in fire at Philippine maximum-security prison Updated: Oct-09-15 4:37 am
MANILA, Philippines - A fire destroyed a dormitory at a maximum-security prison in the central Philippines, killing 10 inmates, officials said Friday.
- Nonprofit wants Knox County to stop censoring inmate mail Updated: Oct-09-15 4:15 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A nonprofit group that advocates for prisoners' rights says Knox County is censoring its mail to inmates, and it's seeking a court order to stop the practice.
- Death row in Texas gets its first new inmate of the year Updated: Oct-09-15 2:05 am
HOUSTON - Texas' death row is getting its first inmate of 2015, ending a 10-month hiatus in death sentences imposed by juries in the nation's most active capital punishment state.