- New Mexico prison system fights fair pay claims Updated: May-03-16 2:18 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The New Mexico prison system is arguing it's exempt from a state law requiring employers to pay women and men the same amount for comparable work.
- Colorado Senate passes juvenile life sentencing bill Updated: May-03-16 2:08 pm
DENVER - Colorado's Senate has passed a bill that would bring the state in line with U.S. Supreme Court rulings that mandatory life without parole sentences for youth offenders are unconstitutional.
- Department says it lacked access probing inmate's death Updated: May-03-16 1:40 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - State officials were unable to complete a thorough investigation into the death of a mentally ill Virginia inmate accused of stealing snack food because they didn't have enough authority to access certain records and interview key employees, an official wrote.
- Concerns raised about backlogs at crime labs across Texas Updated: May-03-16 12:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Mark Norwood, sentenced to life in prison for the infamous 1986 slaying of Christine Morton, was to face a jury last September in the similar killing of Debra Baker.
- Illinois panel votes against plan to close detention center Updated: May-03-16 12:44 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A bipartisan legislative oversight panel has voted against Gov. Bruce Rauner's plan to close the youth detention center in Kewanee.
- Video: Inmate shocked with stun gun 3 times before death Updated: May-03-16 11:59 am
LILLINGTON, North Carolina - A jail inmate who was backing away from an officer was shocked with a stun gun three times and left alone for about 20 minutes in a padded cell where he died, according to a video released to a North Carolina newspaper.
- Authorities seek inmate accused of leaving Athens work site Updated: May-03-16 11:12 am
ATHENS, Georgia - Authorities are searching for a state prisoner they say walked away from a work detail in Athens.
- Department says it lacked access probing inmate's death Updated: May-03-16 11:05 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - State officials say they were unable to complete a thorough investigation into the death a mentally ill Virginia inmate because they didn't have enough authority to access certain records and interview key employees.
- Doctor at jail temporarily barred from practicing medicine Updated: May-03-16 10:53 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - A doctor at a New Hampshire jail has been temporarily barred from practicing medicine at the facility following claims that he failed to provide inmates with adequate medical care.
- New Jersey inmate escapes from prison weeks before parole Updated: May-03-16 8:31 am
HAMMONTON, New Jersey - Authorities are searching for an inmate who escaped from a minimum security prison in New Jersey weeks before he was due for parole.
- Pointe Coupee jail guard arrested for malfeasance Updated: May-03-16 7:51 am
NEW ROADS, Louisiana - Two guards at the Pointe Coupee Parish Detention Center have been fired and three others resigned after allegations surfaced about inappropriate dealings with inmates.
- House backs bill giving public access to sex offender info Updated: May-03-16 4:41 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers in the Louisiana House have agreed to let the public have access to email addresses and online screen names of registered sex offenders.
- Issues to watch in the final days of the session Updated: May-02-16 8:03 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers on Tuesday begin the final two days of the legislative session with some major decisions before them. Lawmakers plan to meet Tuesday and then adjourn the session Wednesday. Here are three issues to watch in the 2016 session's final hours.
- 'Raise the Age' bill passes Senate with strong support Updated: May-02-16 7:58 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A bid to raise the adult prosecution age in Louisiana one year to 18 years old has won strong support in the state Senate.
- New Orleans sheriff: Federal takeover not the answer Updated: May-02-16 6:30 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The New Orleans sheriff says his department is doing a good job improving the city's jail and should get more time rather than face a federal takeover.
- Oklahoma House OKs work-release program for county inmates Updated: May-02-16 5:33 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - County sheriffs would be able to set up a work-release program for jail inmates to earn time off their sentences under a bill that has been given final approval in the Legislature.
- Inmates, others indicted for mailing cell phones to jail Updated: May-02-16 4:46 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Authorities say 3 inmates and 4 other people have been indicted and are accused of attempting to have cell phones mailed into the Montgomery jail.
- NC physician faces 18 months in prison for healthcare fraud Updated: May-02-16 4:39 pm
STATESVILLE, North Carolina - Federal authorities say a North Carolina doctor will spend 18 months in prison after bilking Medicaid and Medicare with inflated bills for patient care he didn't perform.
- New Orleans sheriff defends running of jail, making 2 hires Updated: May-02-16 4:37 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The embattled New Orleans sheriff is defending his running of the city's jail.
- Suit: Illinois law restricting child sex offenders too vague Updated: May-02-16 4:09 pm
CHICAGO - Six registered child sex offenders want a judge to stop Illinois from enforcing laws they say are unconstitutionally vague and unfairly restrict their movements.
- Convicted Crook County criminals go free due to crowded jail Updated: May-02-16 3:51 pm
BEND, Oregon - Dozens of convicted offenders in Crook County have been set free because of a lack of jail space.
- 2 Alabama prisons on lockdown after inmates refuse work Updated: May-02-16 3:50 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Department of Corrections officials say 2 prisons are on lockdown after inmates began refusing assigned jobs.
- Officials to open at least 1 more in-jail drug program Updated: May-02-16 2:08 pm
HOLDEN, West Virginia - State officials plan to open at least one more inpatient substance-abuse treatment program at the Southwestern Regional Jail in Logan County.
- Inmate who escaped from Devils Lake jail is captured Updated: May-02-16 12:12 pm
DEVILS LAKE, North Dakota - An inmate who escaped from the regional jail in Devils Lake last month has been captured.
- Officials: Inmates dies at Maine Correctional Center Updated: May-02-16 11:53 am
WINDHAM, Maine - The Department of Corrections says a prisoner has died at the Maine Correctional Center in Windham.