- 2 inmates kill prisoner at Northern California prison Updated: Sep-01-15 10:08 pm
SUSANVILLE, California - Officials say two inmates attacked and killed another prisoner with a manufactured weapon on a maximum-security yard of a Northern California prison.
- Arkansas governor asked to set execution dates for 8 inmates Updated: Sep-01-15 7:37 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas' attorney general has asked Gov. Asa Hutchinson to set execution dates for eight death row inmates in what would be the state's first executions in a decade.
- Man who attacked Tippecanoe deputy gets 26-year sentence Updated: Sep-01-15 5:22 pm
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A judge has sentenced a man who overpowered a deputy and stole her police cruiser to 22 years in prison.
- Legionnaires' outbreaks not unusual in summer & early fall Updated: Sep-01-15 4:14 pm
CHICAGO - Legionnaires' disease has been reported in a handful of states this summer, leading to 19 deaths and more than 100 illnesses. The unrelated cases are part of a typical pattern seen with a disease that tends to appear in warm weather and is mostly dangerous for people who already are sick or weakened.
- California to end unlimited isolation for most gang leaders Updated: Sep-01-15 2:33 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California agreed Tuesday to end its unlimited isolation of imprisoned gang leaders, restricting a practice that once kept hundreds of inmates in notorious segregation units for a decade or longer.
- NYPD: Woman who escaped custody is apprehended Updated: Sep-01-15 10:47 am
NEW YORK - New York City police say a prisoner who escaped from police custody has been found.
- Christian school founder in court over sex offender's work Updated: Sep-01-15 4:06 am
FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina - The co-founder and principal of a private Christian school in Fayetteville is due in court after authorities say a registered sex offender was allowed to work there in violation of state law.
- Routine audit of Tennessee prison system questioned Updated: Sep-01-15 3:34 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - House Democratic Caucus Chairman Mike Stewart is dismissing an upcoming audit of Tennessee's prison system as "business as usual."
- Ex-surgeon gets year in prison for in-home detention escape Updated: Sep-01-15 3:29 am
PERU, Indiana - A former northern Indiana surgeon who was convicted of stalking his ex-wife has been sentenced to a year in prison for his escape from in-home detention.
- 73 San Quentin inmates with Legionnaires' disease symptoms Updated: Aug-31-15 10:50 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Officials say the number of inmates at San Quentin State Prison showing respiratory illness symptoms increased to 73.
- State, FBI join forces to find long-term prison escapees Updated: Aug-31-15 6:29 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The N.C. Department of Public Safety and the FBI have joined forced to resolve 43 cases involving long-term escapees from the state's prisons, the state agency announced Monday.
- Sex registry questioned after prep school grad's conviction Updated: Aug-31-15 6:08 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A graduate of an elite prep school who was convicted of having sexual contact with a 15-year-old classmate as part of a game of sexual conquest will be required to register as a sex offender for life, a punishment his lawyer likens to being branded and legal experts and reform advocates say exceeds the crime.
- Wrongly convicted 'Beatrice 6' to get new trial in lawsuit Updated: Aug-31-15 5:26 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A federal appeals court ruled Monday that six people wrongly convicted in a 1985 slaying of a woman in southeast Nebraska should get a new trial in their lawsuit against the officials who prosecuted them.
- 6 San Quentin inmates ill with Legionnaires' disease Updated: Aug-30-15 7:23 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - At least six San Quentin State Prison inmates were ill with Legionnaires' disease and dozens more under observation Sunday, prompting a weekend halt to visitors, no hot meals and limited drinking water supplies at California's oldest prison.
- Higher marriage fees, prison reforms among new Nebraska laws Updated: Aug-30-15 10:38 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A host of new laws took effect Sunday in Nebraska, leading to changes ranging from costlier marriage licenses to expanded opportunities for nonviolent prisoners to be released for parole and probation.
- New York man gets 15+ years in prison for making child porn Updated: Aug-30-15 7:02 am
ROCHESTER, New York - A New York man in prison for raping a 16-year-old girl has been sentenced to an additional 15 years for recording the assault.
- ND getting $333K from feds to help register sex offenders Updated: Aug-30-15 2:07 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota's congressional delegation says the state's attorney general's office is $333,000 in federal funding to help in registering sex offenders.
- Va. inmate awaiting transfer to mental health facility dies Updated: Aug-29-15 4:35 pm
PORTSMOUTH, Virginia - A jail official in Portsmouth says a man awaiting transfer to a mental health facility was found dead in his cell.
- Teen sentenced for St. Cloud stabbing death Updated: Aug-29-15 2:10 pm
ST. CLOUD, Minnesota - A St. Cloud teenager has been placed on juvenile probation for fatally stabbing a 20-year-old man during a street fight.
- Inmate awaiting transfer to mental health facility dies Updated: Aug-29-15 12:50 pm
PORTSMOUTH, Virginia - A jail official in Portsmouth says a man awaiting transfer to a state mental health facility for months was found dead in his cell.
- Disease, suicide killing Ala inmates faster than execution Updated: Aug-29-15 11:26 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Disease and suicide are claiming inmates on Alabama's death row faster than the executioner.
- Judge denies bid to halt Oklahoma inmate's execution Updated: Aug-28-15 6:53 pm
McALESTER, Oklahoma - A judge ruled against an Oklahoma death row inmate on Friday after his attorneys argued he is insane and sought to halt his upcoming execution for the 2002 killing of his 9-month-old daughter.
- The Latest: Defense says ex-senior's boasts were 'damning' Updated: Aug-28-15 5:31 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The latest on the trial of a former student at an elite prep school accused of raping a freshman as part of a tradition called Senior Salute (all times local):
- Prison monitors missed problems at Arizona private prison Updated: Aug-28-15 3:53 pm
PHOENIX - A report shows five senior Arizona Department of Corrections officials assigned to monitor operations at a private prison in Kingman were apparently unaware of brewing discontent among inmates or massive guard overtime and understaffing before riots broke out in July.
- School stab suspect to be adult by time of juvenile hearing Updated: Aug-28-15 3:19 pm
PITTSBURGH - A teen charged with stabbing 20 fellow students and a security guard at a Pennsylvania high school will be an adult by the time a hearing concludes to determine whether he should be tried in juvenile court.