- Elder abuse: It could be your mom, dad, friend Updated: Feb-13-16 2:06 am
ASTORIA, Oregon - An elderly woman with dementia in a Lake Oswego assisted-living facility had no idea her only living relative, a niece in Seaside, was stealing $350,000 from her.
- North Dakota housing authorities get $2M federal grants Updated: Feb-13-16 2:05 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota's congressional delegation says more than $2 million in federal funding is being distributed at public housing authorities throughout the state.
- Deal delays eviction threat for San Francisco nuns Updated: Feb-13-16 1:23 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Nuns who faced possible eviction from San Francisco's gritty Tenderloin district because of a rent increase have won a reprieve.
- Questions raised about what happened in Mexican prison brawl Updated: Feb-13-16 12:10 am
MONTERREY, Mexico - Prosecutors charged three state officers with homicide after a bloody prison brawl that ended with 49 dead, raising questions about what happened during the melee inside Mexico's Topo Chico lockup that saw inmates fight with hammers, cudgels and makeshift knives.
- The Latest: Pope briefly emerges to speak with well-wishers Updated: Feb-12-16 11:21 pm
HAVANA - The latest on Pope Francis's historic meeting in Cuba with Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill and his subsequent trip to Mexico (all times local):
- Lawmakers postpone vote on adoption by gay couples bill Updated: Feb-12-16 9:33 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah lawmakers postponed a vote Friday night on a proposal to ensure married gay couples are treated equally as married heterosexual couples in adoptions and foster care placements.
- Hawaii bill seeks to allow growing marijuana outdoors Updated: Feb-12-16 7:36 pm
HONOLULU - Some Hawaii lawmakers and advocates say medical marijuana dispensary applicants could be at a disadvantage because health department rules don't allow greenhouses.
- Head of LeafLine to step down Updated: Feb-12-16 6:37 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The head of one of Minnesota's two medical marijuana providers is leaving the company, just eight months after moving there from his oversight role with the Minnesota Department of Health.
- GOP's Cotton holds up juvenile justice reforms in Senate Updated: Feb-12-16 5:21 pm
WASHINGTON - A Senate effort to overhaul the treatment of juveniles in the justice system to avoid unnecessary detentions and keep them out of adult jails has hit a snag in the form of freshman Republican Tom Cotton.
- Challenge to Nebraska's limit on paternity requests rejected Updated: Feb-12-16 5:19 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - The Nebraska Supreme Court rejected Friday a constitutional challenge to the state's four-year statute of limitations on paternity requests in the case of a man who sought paternity and custody of an 8-year-old child born to a woman with whom he had an extramarital affair.
- Judge dismisses lawsuit against Metro Nashville Schools Updated: Feb-12-16 5:16 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A judge on Friday dismissed a lawsuit filed by a student against the Metro Nashville Public School system alleging she was pulled out of an algebra class so she wouldn't have to take a test, allowing her school to artificially inflate its scores.
- Judge weighs bid to block Indiana's Syrian refugee order Updated: Feb-12-16 5:11 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - A judge considering a challenge to Republican Gov. Mike Pence's order barring state agencies from helping Syrian refugees resettle in Indiana appeared skeptical Friday, peppering the state's lawyer with questions about whether the directive was achieving its stated goal of protecting the state's security.
- Obstacles abound in prosecution of Texas priest in cold case Updated: Feb-12-16 4:58 pm
HOUSTON - Prosecutors face a tough road in their case against a former priest accused this week in the killing of a young Texas teacher and beauty queen nearly 56 years ago, according to legal experts.
- Cuomo revises plan to keep youths out of NY's adult prisons Updated: Feb-12-16 4:56 pm
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo has revised his proposal for keeping juveniles out of New York's adult prisons and jails.
- Former transgender inmate settles with prison officials Updated: Feb-12-16 4:40 pm
ATLANTA - The state of Georgia has agreed to pay to settle a lawsuit filed by a former transgender inmate whose case drew the attention of the Justice Department after she complained prison officials didn't provide adequate treatment for her gender identity condition.
- 16 Oklahoma tribes get $11.8 million in US housing grants Updated: Feb-12-16 3:45 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Sixteen Oklahoma-based Indian tribes have received more than $11.8 million in federal grants to improve housing conditions and encourage construction projects and local jobs for low- and moderate-income families.
- The Latest: Aid group says over 100,000 have fled Aleppo Updated: Feb-12-16 3:29 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on the conflict in Syria and international diplomatic efforts to end the violence (all times local):
- Candidates promise unity in Central African Republic vote Updated: Feb-12-16 2:47 pm
BANGUI, Central African Republic - For more than two years, even going to the cemetery to bury a loved one could get a mourner killed in Central African Republic. The threat of attacks from Christian militia fighters was once so high that Muslims here began burying their dead at home.
- AP Interview: Police shooting spurs state agency changes Updated: Feb-12-16 1:53 pm
CHICAGO - The death of Laquan McDonald, a black Chicago teenager who was a state ward for most of his life before he we was shot 16 times by a white police officer, has spurred Illinois' child welfare agency to look differently and with more focus at the cases of troubled youths, the director told The Associated Press.
- Migrants attacked around Calais, tinderbox of tensions Updated: Feb-12-16 1:15 pm
CALAIS, France - Mysterious armed groups are on the prowl, targeting migrants in night attacks in Calais and elsewhere in northern France, sowing fear among the displaced travelers living in squalid slums and deepening concerns the city is becoming a tinderbox of anti-migrant, anti-Muslim rage that's fueling a budding nationalist movement.
- Baker seeks funds for local roads, files spending bill Updated: Feb-12-16 1:13 pm
BOSTON - Gov. Charlie Baker's administration is asking lawmakers to authorize $250 million for local transportation projects, including $50 million for upgrades on small bridges.
- The Latest: Official: Half of Calais camp to be evacuated Updated: Feb-12-16 12:26 pm
SID, Serbia - The Latest on the influx of migrants into Europe (all times local):
- Public housing authorities in Michigan getting $31 million Updated: Feb-12-16 11:28 am
LANSING, Michigan - Public housing authorities in Michigan are getting $31 million to make capital improvements to their properties.
- Union: Staff cuts, conditions led to California jail escape Updated: Feb-12-16 11:18 am
SANTA ANA, California - A deputies union has sued the Orange County Sheriff's Department alleging that staff reductions and unsafe conditions helped lead to the brazen escape of three inmates from a jail in California.
- Assembly to vote on drug treatment dollars Updated: Feb-12-16 11:11 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Drug treatment and diversion programs would get an additional $2 million annually under a bill the state Assembly is set to take up.