- Brazil police identify 4 of 30-plus men wanted in gang rape Updated: May-27-16 8:00 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Police said Friday that they have identified and are searching for four of the more than 30 men suspected in the gang rape of a 16-year-old girl, a case that has rocked Latin America's largest nation and highlighted its endemic problem of violence against women.
- 5 inmates injured in California prison riot Updated: May-27-16 7:58 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Five inmates were taken to hospitals following a riot at a maximum-security section of a prison in northeastern California.
- Argentine court sentences ex-dictator for Operation Condor Updated: May-27-16 7:45 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's last dictator and 14 other former military officials were sentenced Friday to prison for human rights crimes committed during the Operation Condor conspiracy to hunt down dissidents across South America and beyond.
- Hospitalized suspect in Reno pill mill raid bound for jail Updated: May-27-16 7:41 pm
RENO, Nevada - A federal judge in Reno has ordered one of the key suspects in an alleged prescription drug trafficking-ring to return to the county jail when he's released from the hospital where he was taken for a medical emergency.
- Rauner reverses course on medical marijuana, backs expansion Updated: May-27-16 6:37 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner has reversed course on broadening Illinois' medical marijuana pilot program and is now supporting a plan to extend it roughly two years and add more qualifying health conditions.
- Inmate serving life sentence for manslaughter dies in prison Updated: May-27-16 5:27 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The South Dakota Department of Corrections says a 54-year-old man serving a life sentence for manslaughter has died at the state penitentiary.
- Parents: 'Medically Fragile Children Matter' in Louisiana Updated: May-27-16 4:54 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Parents of disabled children chastised Louisiana lawmakers on Friday for obligating them to return year after year to plead for health care financing.
- Judge in New Orleans jail case criticizes communication gaps Updated: May-27-16 4:09 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The judge overseeing a hearing on whether the New Orleans sheriff should be stripped of control of the city's jail Friday criticized the lack of communication between various government agencies.
- New York lawmakers: State should track nonfatal overdoses Updated: May-27-16 3:46 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York state may soon begin tracking the number of nonfatal heroin and opioid overdoses.
- Suit blames Louisiana jail conditions for prisoner's death Updated: May-27-16 3:21 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A federal lawsuit claims poor medical care and dangerous conditions at a Louisiana jail led to the death of a prisoner who hanged himself in his cell last year.
- Alabama Supreme Court annuls its ruling on lesbian adoption Updated: May-27-16 3:11 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama Supreme Court has voided its earlier decision not to recognize a lesbian couple's adoption that was carried out in another state.
- House, Senate to meet to draft final state budget proposal Updated: May-27-16 3:11 pm
BOSTON - House and Senate negotiators will likely begin meeting next week to draft a final state budget proposal after the Senate gave final approval to a $39.5 billion spending plan for the fiscal year starting July 1.
- Donald Trump breaks with nation's only Latina governor Updated: May-27-16 3:03 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - It was a stunning rebuke - even by Donald Trump's standards - aimed at the nation's only Latina governor at a political rally in her home state of New Mexico.
- California lawmakers advance Brown's affordable housing plan Updated: May-27-16 1:54 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers have adopted a controversial plan proposed by Gov. Jerry Brown in response to the state's affordable housing crisis.
- Suit blames Baton Rouge jail conditions for prisoner's death Updated: May-27-16 12:15 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A federal lawsuit claims poor medical care and dangerous conditions at Baton Rouge's jail led to the death of a prisoner who hanged himself in his cell last year.
- The Latest: IOM eyes closer ties to UN to help migrants Updated: May-27-16 12:12 pm
GENEVA - The Latest on Europe's response to the migrant crisis (all times local):
- UNHCR urges solution for Serbia-Hungary border camp Updated: May-27-16 11:30 am
HORGOS, Serbia - The U.N. refugee agency on Friday urged Serbia and Hungary to find a solution for the migrants camping in dire conditions at their border, hoping to enter the European Union despite border closures.
- Federal judge weighs order to halt homeless camp sweeps Updated: May-27-16 10:54 am
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - A federal judge is weighing whether to issue an order barring Fort Wayne from conducting periodic sweeps of the city's homeless camps.
- The Latest: UN reports 'spike' in Iraqis fleeing to Syria Updated: May-27-16 9:01 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on the fighting in Syria (all times local):
- Officials: 5 inmates wounded during DC jail fight Updated: May-27-16 8:54 am
WASHINGTON - Officials say five inmates have been injured during a fight at the District of Columbia jail.
- Chinese kids who climb cliffside ladder home will get stairs Updated: May-27-16 7:46 am
BEIJING - Just to get home from school, they climb 800 meters (more than 2,500 feet) toward the sky - on a ladder made of bamboo and secured to a sheer cliff face.
- Bill would end possible jail time for underage drinkers Updated: May-27-16 4:31 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers don't think underage drinkers should face jail time.
- The Latest: G-7 wants to close gaps on fighting extremism Updated: May-27-16 1:03 am
ISE, Japan - The latest news on the Group of Seven summit in Japan, where the leaders of the seven advanced economies are meeting for two days (all times local):
- FDA approves first drug-oozing implant to control addiction Updated: May-26-16 7:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health officials on Thursday approved an innovative new option for Americans struggling with addiction to heroin and painkillers: a drug-oozing implant that curbs craving and withdrawal symptoms for six months at a time.
- Obama tells Native American students to live their values Updated: May-26-16 6:57 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Michelle Obama told graduates at a Native American high school Thursday to take pride in their history and cultures at a time when she says the "loudest voices in the national conversation" suggest turning away from the tribal values that were part of their education.