- Australia in talks to send refugees to the Philippines Updated: Oct-08-15 11:13 pm
SYDNEY - Australia is in talks to send refugees who try to reach its shores illegally to the Philippines, the immigration minister said Friday.
- EU agrees to speed migrant deportation, buttress borders Updated: Oct-08-15 6:56 pm
LUXEMBOURG - The European Union on Thursday took measures to buttress its porous external borders and toughen up its migrant return program in an attempt to build a credible refugee policy that would continue to embrace those fleeing for their lives yet punish those seeking economic gain.
- Salt Lake City mayoral candidates square off in debate Updated: Oct-08-15 6:47 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker and challenger Jackie Biskupski squared off in a debate Thursday that covered issues ranging from the renovation of the airport to police dealings with the homeless.
- Honolulu begins final push to clear major homeless camp Updated: Oct-08-15 5:58 pm
HONOLULU - Honolulu city crews on Thursday began clearing the final section of one of the nation's largest homeless encampments, once home to hundreds of people.
- Petitions filed to allow medical marijuana use in Missouri Updated: Oct-08-15 5:29 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The first step to put medical marijuana to a statewide vote next year came Thursday, with supporters filing initiative petitions with the Missouri secretary of state.
- 3 working groups start tackling heroin problem in Maine Updated: Oct-08-15 5:25 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A task force formed to address the state's heroin epidemic held its first meeting on Thursday, with 35 people on three teams focusing on law enforcement, education and treatment, officials said.
- Oklahoma governor names ex-assistant AG as special adviser Updated: Oct-08-15 5:14 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin has named a former longtime assistant in the Oklahoma Attorney General's Office as her special adviser on child welfare and implementation of the Pinnacle Plan.
- Migrant influx boosts right-wing in key Austrian election Updated: Oct-08-15 4:16 pm
VIENNA - Just a few days after more than 100,000 people turned out in Vienna to support refugees, an anti-refugee party is poised to land a huge coup - a win at the polls that could see them take control of the Austrian capital.
- Pennsylvania orders youth mental health facility closed Updated: Oct-08-15 1:51 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - After investigating reports of sexual abuse, state regulators are ordering the closure of a western Pennsylvania facility that treats children and teenagers diagnosed with mental health conditions.
- Neighbors: Officials ignored reports before fire kills girl Updated: Oct-08-15 12:34 pm
HELENA, Montana - Neighbors of an 8-year-old Kalispell-area girl who died in a motor home fire say the Flathead County sheriff's office and child protective services didn't act on numerous reports alleging drug use and child neglect in the months before the fire.
- FBI director say US has gotten better at screening refugees Updated: Oct-08-15 11:36 am
WASHINGTON - FBI Director James Comey (KOH'-mee) says the government has learned how to better screen refugees from foreign countries to ensure they don't pose terrorism or other risks to the United States.
- Getting clean: Heroin addict goes through pioneering program Updated: Oct-08-15 8:55 am
BOSTON - Kylee Moriarty has experienced her share of ups and downs since deciding to kick her heroin habit this past summer.
- Portland declares housing emergency Updated: Oct-08-15 6:15 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Portland officials have approved a housing emergency plan as nearly 1,900 people remain without shelter in the city.
- Norwegian ambassador not welcomed at Czech presidential seat Updated: Oct-08-15 5:32 am
PRAGUE - Czech President Milos Zeman has canceled his invitation for the Norwegian ambassador to attend the celebration of a major holiday at the presidential seat.
- Illinois approves 3,100 medical marijuana patients Updated: Oct-08-15 4:05 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois is continuing to approve patients to use medical marijuana, with about 100 more approval letters sent in September.
- Poliquin milestone: His first bill clears the House Updated: Oct-08-15 4:01 am
BANGOR, Maine - U.S. Rep. Bruce Poliquin has pushed his first bill through the House.
- Michigan House OKs bill to tax, regulate medical marijuana Updated: Oct-07-15 10:31 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan would tax and regulate medical marijuana in a tiered licensing system similar to alcohol under legislation passed Wednesday by the House, where advocates said action is necessary due to confusion surrounding the legality of dispensary businesses and non-smokable forms of the drug.
- Some Syrians chart pre-approved path to European asylum Updated: Oct-07-15 5:28 pm
CRETEIL, France - Her slain husband, bombed-out Damascus home and refugee life are behind her. The recipient of a coveted asylum-seeker visa, Syrian teacher Amena Abomosa is settling into a new life in France with her family. But now what?
- Illinois panel OKs medical marijuana for 8 health conditions Updated: Oct-07-15 4:47 pm
COUNTRYSIDE, Illinois - An advisory board voted Wednesday to add eight health conditions - including chronic pain syndrome, autism, osteoarthritis and post-traumatic stress disorder - to the list of illnesses that can be treated by medical marijuana in Illinois.
- Bill would expand Right to Try Act to include marijuana Updated: Oct-07-15 4:44 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A pair of Republican lawmakers who helped author a bill to make a certain strain of marijuana permissible for treatment is seeking to go one step further.
- Nurse in Phoenix jail accused of giving contraband to inmate Updated: Oct-07-15 4:00 pm
PHOENIX - Authorities say a nurse who works in the downtown Phoenix jail has been arrested for allegedly giving contraband to an inmate.
- Kansas delays disability services overhaul after complaints Updated: Oct-07-15 3:44 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The state of Kansas says it's delaying an overhaul in how it provides services to people with disabilities.
- West Virginia editorial roundup Updated: Oct-07-15 3:21 pm
Recent editorials from West Virginia newspapers:
- Head of DCS says problems caused by past administrations Updated: Oct-07-15 2:31 pm
PHOENIX - The head of Arizona's Department of Child Safety says he knows the agency has problems, but they were caused by previous administrations.
- Germany and France try to turn tide of European skepticism Updated: Oct-07-15 2:06 pm
STRASBOURG, France - French President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, in a highly unusual bid to heal divisions within the EU, urged European lawmakers on Wednesday to pull together to create a stronger Europe to cope with the influx of migrants that is raising tensions and dangerously straining the union.