- Cubit tries to focus on football amid Illinois uncertainty Updated: Aug-29-15 10:45 am
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Next up for Bill Cubit is Illinois' season opener against Kent State, and that's it. The interim coach is focused on what he can control at the troubled school.
- Illinois fires coach Tim Beckman 1 week before season opener Updated: Aug-28-15 11:15 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - A week before the start of the football season, a difficult summer for the University of Illinois became chaotic as coach Tim Beckman was fired after an investigation found he tried to influence medical decisions and pressure players to play with injuries.
- Student says teacher had sex with her on graduation day Updated: Aug-28-15 1:56 pm
PENDLETON, Oregon - A 35-year-old teacher is on paid administrative leave and is being investigated by the state's licensing agency for educators after a student said he had sex with her the morning of her graduation.
- Former Thurston High School coach pleads guilty Updated: Aug-28-15 11:28 am
EUGENE, Oregon - A former Thurston High School basketball coach and campus monitor has pleaded guilty to providing a student athlete with a prescription opioid.
- Springfield rehires coach who lost job after complaint Updated: Aug-28-15 9:58 am
EUGENE, Oregon - The Springfield School District has rehired Bill Wagner as Springfield High School's girls basketball coach, less than three months after choosing not to renew his contract amid complaints from a parent.
- Programs run into pitfalls with fining college players Updated: Aug-28-15 12:56 am
Take away game tickets for missing class. Hold back a bowl gift for being late. Maybe even dock a player his $15 per diem for skipping study hall.
- Crean questions leadership after latest legal problem Updated: Aug-27-15 9:41 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana coach Tom Crean questioned his team's leadership and challenged his players to make better decisions on and off the court Thursday.
- Rutgers coach: Didn't know of investigation when contacted Updated: Aug-26-15 3:24 pm
PISCATAWAY, New Jersey - Rutgers coach Kyle Flood said Wednesday that when he was contacted by university officials about communicating with a faculty member regarding the academic status of a player, he didn't know he was being investigated for possibly violating school or NCAA rules.
- Schools consider regional handling of sexual assault cases Updated: Aug-26-15 10:58 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia's colleges and universities are considering whether to establish a network of shared resources and investigators to address campus assaults.
- Boise State: No assault allegations against Ukwuachu Updated: Aug-25-15 11:17 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Boise State says allegations by Sam Ukwuachu's girlfriend that he assaulted her when they were students there were never reported to school officials and accusations of physical violence against women were not a reason for his dismissal.
- 6 players suspended after SB Washington-Michigan City fight Updated: Aug-25-15 6:41 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - The Indiana High School Athletic Association has placed two northern Indiana football teams on probation and suspended six players and two coaches following a fight that forced officials to halt a game at halftime.
- Athletics hire Ron Washington as third base coach Updated: Aug-24-15 9:42 pm
- Legal showdown looms over the NCAA's ban on paying athletes Updated: Aug-22-15 12:10 pm
ATLANTA - Fresh off a ruling that Northwestern University football players can't form a union, the NCAA is about to face a more direct challenge to its longstanding policy of not letting schools pay athletes like they're professionals.
- Johns Hopkins announces new sexual misconduct policy Updated: Aug-21-15 10:53 am
BALTIMORE - Johns Hopkins University, one of more than 100 schools under federal investigation for their handling of sexual assault complaints, has unveiled a new sexual misconduct policy.
- VCU investigated for how it addresses sexual violence Updated: Aug-21-15 9:46 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Commonwealth University is under federal investigation for how it addresses sexual violence.
- Excerpts from recent Minnesota editorials Updated: Aug-20-15 10:56 am
St. Cloud Times, Aug. 19
- Former Indiana safety transferring to Indiana State Updated: Aug-19-15 6:45 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Coach Mike Sanford did his homework on Antonio Allen and decided to take a risk on the former Indiana safety.
- Butler softball players hospitalized after workouts Updated: Aug-18-15 3:35 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Six Butler Community College softball players were sent to the hospital with extreme muscle soreness after workouts.
- Latest on athlete unions: QB says team 'fine' with ruling Updated: Aug-17-15 2:53 pm
CHICAGO - The latest on the National Labor Relations Board's decision preventing Northwestern University football players from unionizing (all times are local):
- Portland considering 'Rooney Rule' to increase diversity Updated: Aug-17-15 1:46 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Concerned about diversity in its top ranks, the city of Portland will propose hiring tweaks aimed at recruiting more minorities.
- Michigan St moving Pauga as part of reorganization Updated: Aug-15-15 7:02 pm
EAST LANSING, Michigan - Michigan State director of basketball operations Kevin Pauga is becoming an assistant athletic director.
- University of Maryland assistant resigns after allegation Updated: Aug-14-15 4:48 pm
COVINGTON, Kentucky - The University of Maryland said Friday that an assistant women's basketball coach resigned, following his suspension after a player he coached at Xavier University accused him of groping her.
- Santa Fe Public Schools to hire "dropout prevention" coaches Updated: Aug-14-15 12:09 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The Santa Fe school district plans to hire four administrators in an attempt to reduce truancy rates at the city's middle and high schools.
- Former Missouri high school coach accused of abusing student Updated: Aug-13-15 1:59 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A former high school basketball coach in southwest Missouri faces charges that he sexually abused a student more than two decades ago.
- Questions still bubble around Minnesota AD's exit Updated: Aug-11-15 5:37 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Norwood Teague's surprise resignation as athletic director at the University of Minnesota prompted outrage at the sexual harassment complaints that brought him down - and questions about the school's handling of one of the most visible faces of Gopher athletics.