- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61 Updated: Jul-31-15 9:27 pm
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, the kilt wearing trash-talker who headlined the first WrestleMania and later found movie stardom, died Friday. He was 61.
- American Journalism Review to stop publishing after 38 years Updated: Jul-31-15 9:08 pm
COLLEGE PARK, Maryland - The American Journalism Review will stop publishing online, bringing to an end 38 years of reporting on the news media.
- 2 teens charged with impersonating former teacher on Twitter Updated: Jul-31-15 9:05 pm
DANBURY, Connecticut - Two teenagers from Connecticut have been charged with impersonating a high school teacher on Twitter and portraying her in a defamatory way.
- Judge blocks release of recordings by anti-abortion group Updated: Jul-31-15 7:10 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge has blocked the release of any recordings made at meetings of abortion providers by an anti-abortion group that previously revealed secretly recorded videos of a Planned Parenthood leader.
- Fired Mexican soccer coach probed for political tweets Updated: Jul-31-15 7:09 pm
MEXICO CITY - The trouble isn't over for fired Mexico national soccer team coach Miguel Herrera. He is now under investigation for possible violations of electoral laws for politically oriented tweets sent the day of June 7 midterm elections, authorities said Friday.
- Facebook's Zuckerberg and wife are expecting a daughter Updated: Jul-31-15 2:45 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his pediatrician wife, Priscilla Chan, are expecting a baby.
- Police: Man arrested for comments about storming courthouse Updated: Jul-31-15 2:43 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Authorities say a man has been arrested for allegedly threatening to storm the Sedgwick County Courthouse and kill law enforcement officers if a man on trial for murder was found guilty.
- Senegalese journalist gets 6 months for homosexuality Updated: Jul-31-15 2:22 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - A well-known Senegalese journalist was sentenced Friday to six months in prison for acts of homosexuality, which is illegal in this West African country.
- Watchdog groups quick to criticize IOC over Beijing in 2022 Updated: Jul-31-15 1:32 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Beijing bid delegation had no sooner finished their congratulatory hugs and handshakes after being awarded the 2022 Winter Olympics than criticism from human rights groups over the IOC's decision began to pour in.
- Live TED talks this fall in New York to be broadcast on PBS Updated: Jul-31-15 1:13 pm
NEW YORK - PBS and the nonprofit group TED are teaming up to offer a six-night live event in New York this November with speakers including actor Adam Driver, musician Rufus Wainwright and author Sebastian Junger.
- Tough week for social media stocks - no one is spared Updated: Jul-31-15 1:07 pm
NEW YORK - It hasn't been an easy week in social media, despite double-digit revenue growth from Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. Investors are looking beyond headline numbers and finding reasons to sell.
- German justice minister casts doubt on treason probe Updated: Jul-31-15 11:26 am
BERLIN - Germany's justice minister on Friday questioned a decision by prosecutors to open a treason investigation against two journalists, a move that prompted strong criticism from free speech activists.
- Rizzo helps Cubs beat Brewers 5-2 Updated: Jul-31-15 12:57 am
MILWAUKEE - Chicago was struggling before Anthony Rizzo got the Cubs back on track with one mighty swing in Milwaukee.
- Hollywood's Relativity files for bankruptcy with $681M owing Updated: Jul-30-15 9:43 pm
LOS ANGELES - Relativity Media, the struggling "mini major" Hollywood studio behind movies such as "Immortals" and "Mirror Mirror," filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Thursday.
- Struggling MSNBC cancels 3 daytime shows with liberal slant Updated: Jul-30-15 8:49 pm
NEW YORK - MSNBC said Thursday that it is canceling three of its afternoon programs, part of a network-wide shift to a straight news focus during the daytime hours.
- LinkedIn 2Q caps rough week for social media stocks Updated: Jul-30-15 6:48 pm
NEW YORK - It hasn't been a good week for social media companies, not even for the usually reliable professional networking service LinkedIn Corp.
- Newspaper: LePage staff involved in budget discussions Updated: Jul-30-15 6:07 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Gov. Paul LePage's staff was engaged with lawmakers during behind-the-scenes budget negotiations even as the governor railed against legislative leaders and said he had "no clue" what they were going to adopt, a newspaper reported Thursday.
- Facebook ready to test giant drone for Internet service Updated: Jul-30-15 5:20 pm
MENLO PARK, California - Facebook says it will begin test flights later this year for a solar-powered drone with a wingspan as big as a Boeing 737, in the next stage of its campaign to deliver Internet connectivity to remote parts of the world.
- Meeting in federal case on sex offender lockup ruled private Updated: Jul-30-15 5:18 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - When Gov. Mark Dayton, top legislators and other public officials head into a federal courthouse next month to discuss Minnesota's embattled sex offender program, the assembly will be closed to the public.
- USC picked to win Pac-12, beating out Oregon in media poll Updated: Jul-30-15 4:12 pm
BURBANK, California - Southern California was picked to win its first Pac-12 football title since 2008 in a preseason media poll Thursday.
- Contempt filings dropped against reporters covering Hastert Updated: Jul-30-15 3:32 pm
CHICAGO - Two national television reporters cited for violating media security rules at former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert's arraignment last month won't face sanctions after their attorneys apologized to a judge.
- Post Register newspaper up for sale with 3 other papers Updated: Jul-30-15 2:53 pm
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - Post. Co. President Jerry Brady says the family-owned business that includes the Post Register and three other Idaho newspapers is for sale and there's an interested buyer.
- Jon Stewart signing off 'Daily Show' fake newscast for real Updated: Jul-30-15 1:31 pm
NEW YORK - After more than 16 years and nearly 2,600 telecasts, Jon Stewart can feel proud of his scads of Emmys and his pair of Peabody Awards, his cultural gravitas (he hung with the Prez, both on and off the air!), even his reprobate status at Fox News.
- A few stellar 'Daily Show' alums (besides Jon Stewart) Updated: Jul-30-15 1:28 pm
NEW YORK - You want a great career in comedy? Start by landing a job as a correspondent on "The Daily Show"! Under Jon Stewart's 16-year-long run as host, it became one of TV's best launching pads.
- 10 of Jon Stewart's highlights from 'The Daily Show' Updated: Jul-30-15 12:34 pm
NEW YORK - When he leaves Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" on Aug. 6 after hosting nearly 2,600 episodes, Jon Stewart will have logged too many great moments to count. But here are 10 Stewart highlights - both on and off the show - worth remembering: