- Coast Guard to decide if storm-damaged cruise ship can sail Updated: Feb-12-16 3:11 pm
BAYONNE, New Jersey - The Coast Guard on Friday inspected a cruise ship that was battered and damaged by an intense winter storm to determine if it will be able to set sail as scheduled on a weekend voyage.
- Massive Lexington stockyards fire ruled accidental Updated: Feb-12-16 10:42 am
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Investigators say a preliminary investigation has found that a construction worker accidentally started a massive fire that destroyed a beef cattle auction business in Lexington.
- Illinois gets extension to determine flooding damage Updated: Feb-12-16 4:15 am
SPRINGFIELD, Il. - Illinois has received additional time to determine whether to seek a federal disaster declaration for early-winter floods.
- The Latest: Red Cross opens shelter for displaced residents Updated: Feb-11-16 1:57 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on a fire at a Phoenix apartment complex (all times local):
- Central Texas bridge destroyed in deadly May floods replaced Updated: Feb-11-16 12:36 pm
WIMBERLEY, Texas - Drivers having to detour up to 50 miles around a Central Texas bridge destroyed during last May's flooding will soon have a new span.
- Corps of Engineers to study Souris River flood protection Updated: Feb-10-16 10:00 am
MINOT, North Dakota - Long-term flood protection for Minot and the Souris River Basin is among a select group of projects the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to study this year.
- Report: Trees in Kodiak borough parcel likely to die Updated: Feb-10-16 9:01 am
KODIAK, Alaska - A recent report predicts a mass tree die-off on Kodiak Island Borough land that was scorched by a wildfire last summer.
- Body found in Burlington home destroyed by fire Updated: Feb-10-16 6:13 am
BURLINGTON, Iowa - A body has been found in a home that was destroyed by a fire in Burlington.
- Okay to turn burned high school into public storm shelter Updated: Feb-09-16 5:24 pm
OKAY, Oklahoma - The remains of a school destroyed by a fire nearly 30 years ago are being converted into a storm shelter.
- Police identify man found dead in Des Moines home fire Updated: Feb-09-16 3:39 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Police have identified the man who was found inside a fire-damaged Des Moines home after he resisted officers' rescue attempts.
- Late-night fire damages commercial kitchen business in Fargo Updated: Feb-09-16 6:26 am
FARGO, North Dakota - Fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to a commercial kitchen in Fargo.
- The Latest: Weather forecast called for storm-force winds Updated: Feb-08-16 5:16 pm
MIAMI - The Latest on a cruise ship that was damaged in bad weather in the Atlantic Ocean (all times local):
- Alabama governor tours Pickens County tornado damage Updated: Feb-06-16 4:58 pm
ALICEVILLE, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley visited rural west Alabama to discuss the state's response to storms that caused significant damage in several areas.
- Dayton visits small community where fire devastated downtown Updated: Feb-06-16 10:58 am
MADELIA, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton is meeting with business owners and city officials in Madelia, a small southern Minnesota town where fire destroyed a good portion of its commercial district earlier this week.
- Critics dispute plans to change Rollover Pass near Galveston Updated: Feb-05-16 6:54 pm
GALVESTON, Texas - A coalition led by owners of property that includes Rollover Pass and land on either side of the man-made channel connecting East Galveston Bay to the Gulf of Mexico says it is prepared to fight a last-ditch legal battle to prevent the state from closing and filling what has been a hugely popular public fishing site and the focus of environmental, economic and public safety concerns since it was created more than 60 years ago.
- Wichita: 2 earthquakes caused more than $100,000 damage Updated: Feb-05-16 10:27 am
WICHITA, Kansas - Wichita officials say the city suffered more than $100,000 in damage from two earthquakes in early January.
- Deville fire leaves girl, 6, dead; 2 injured Updated: Feb-05-16 6:52 am
DEVILLE, Louisiana - The Louisiana Fire Marshal's Office says a 6-year-old girl died in fire that destroyed her family's home and injured two others in a mobile home park in Deville.
- Man who died in house fire likely shot himself, police say Updated: Feb-04-16 8:04 pm
NEVADA, Iowa - Authorities say a man who was found dead after a suspicious fire was likely killed by a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- Fire destroys large warehouse building in Highland Park Updated: Feb-03-16 8:04 pm
HIGHLAND PARK, Michigan - A fire destroyed a large warehouse building in the Detroit enclave of Highland Park, sending clouds of smoke into the air that forced some living nearby from their homes.
- The Latest: Suspected tornado damages Army post in Georgia Updated: Feb-03-16 7:20 pm
The Latest on the winter storm system affecting a broad swath of the Midwest and Southern U.S. (all times local):
- National Weather Service: 4 tornadoes struck west Alabama Updated: Feb-03-16 5:36 pm
ALICEVILLE, Alabama - The National Weather Service says at least four tornadoes struck rural areas of western Alabama.
- Strong winds, heavy rain cause damage, flooding concerns Updated: Feb-03-16 12:27 pm
ALAMO, Tennessee - Weather officials say a team has been sent to Crockett County to assess potential tornado damage.
- Tornado strikes Alabama women's prison, damages building Updated: Feb-03-16 12:03 pm
ALICEVILLE, Alabama - Federal authorities say a tornado damaged the administration building of a women's prison in Alabama, but caused no injuries to inmates or the staff.
- Nearly $7M suit filed against chemical plant after 2015 fire Updated: Feb-03-16 5:01 am
HANOVER, Pennsylvania - A central Pennsylvania chemical plant has been accused of not completely paying an environmental remediation company for cleanup services after a fire caused $20 million in damages.
- Man injured, several displaced in Vermont apartment fire Updated: Feb-03-16 4:19 am
HARTFORD, Vermont - Fire officials say a man was injured and at least eight people were displaced after a kitchen fire destroyed a Vermont apartment building.