- Extended power outages hit home for Phoenix residents Updated: Sep-02-15 5:37 pm
PHOENIX - A savage storm with wind, rain and lightning that damaged buildings, knocked down trees, utility poles and power lines added up to sweaty predicaments for many Phoenix residents.
- Fire causes about $20,000 in damage to Fargo business Updated: Sep-02-15 7:35 am
FARGO, North Dakota - Fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage to a Fargo business.
- Cleanup continues month after storms in northwest Michigan Updated: Sep-02-15 2:46 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Cleanup continues in northwestern Lower Michigan a month after severe storms uprooted trees and damaged homes and popular tourist spots.
- Farm fire causes $1.7M in damage Updated: Sep-01-15 6:52 am
UPPER BERN, Pennsylvania - Investigators are trying to determine what sparked a Pennsylvania chicken farm fire in which 70,000 birds were saved.
- Africa's Cape Verde islands escape major hurricane damage Updated: Sep-01-15 6:38 am
LISBON, Portugal - Authorities in Cape Verde say the first hurricane to pass over the West African islands caused flooding, uprooted trees and tore off some roofs but caused no major damage or injuries.
- Teen admits to causing fire that prompted schools closures Updated: Sep-01-15 12:43 am
SANTA CRUZ, California - Officials say an early-morning fire that damaged two Northern California schools and a police substation was started by a teenager who placed smoldering ashes from a cardboard box in a trash can.
- Eastern Oregon fire destroys 2 more homes, guest house Updated: Aug-30-15 2:34 pm
JOHN DAY, Oregon - Firefighters on Sunday worked to stop the spread of a group of central Oregon wildfires that have grown to 159 square miles and destroyed two more homes and a guest house.
- New Orleans, Gulf coast mark Katrina milestone Updated: Aug-30-15 6:22 am
NEW ORLEANS - The Gulf Coast and New Orleans observed the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, one of the deadliest storms in American history, in ways both devout and festive. Church bells rang and brass bands played as people across the storm-ravaged coast remembered the past and looked to the future.
- New central Oregon wildfire destroys 2 homes Updated: Aug-29-15 8:43 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - A human-caused fire broke out at a state park campground in central Oregon and quickly grew to 200 acres Saturday, destroying two homes and several outbuildings.
- The Latest: Clinton: Celebrate progress but continue work Updated: Aug-29-15 8:43 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The latest in the 10th anniversary commemorations of Hurricane Katrina (all times local):
- Man found dead after fire destroyed 4 homes, restaurant Updated: Aug-29-15 12:22 pm
DAUPHIN ISLAND, Alabama - Police say a man was found dead after a fire destroyed four homes and restaurant in southeastern Alabama.
- Obama to people of New Orleans: You inspire me, and America Updated: Aug-27-15 9:01 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Visiting residents on tidy porch stoops and sampling the fried chicken at a corner restaurant, President Barack Obama held out the people of New Orleans on Thursday as an extraordinary example of renewal and resilience 10 years after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.
- Flooding around Mississinewa Lake causes $900K in damage Updated: Aug-27-15 2:35 pm
PERU, Indiana - Record flooding around the reservoir at Mississinewa Lake near Peru caused about $900,000 in property damage, according to estimates from officials.
- North Korea reports dozens of casualties after heavy rains Updated: Aug-26-15 10:08 am
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea says heavy rainfall has caused dozens of human casualties, destroyed homes and flooded farmland in a northeast area home to a special economic zone.
- On Mississippi's shore, what Katrina erased not yet replaced Updated: Aug-26-15 5:16 am
LONG BEACH, Mississippi - Between Mississippi's seashore and the railroad tracks a little ways inland, where Hurricane Katrina all but erased a neighborhood 10 years ago, Efrem Garza and a handful of other homeowners are still resettling a frontier.
- Typhoon Goni damages buildings, drenches western Japan Updated: Aug-25-15 12:46 am
TOKYO - A powerful typhoon damaged buildings, tossed around cars and flooded streets in southwestern Japan on Tuesday before heading out to the Sea of Japan.
- Record wildfire in Washington gets international, local help Updated: Aug-24-15 10:19 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - As Washington state's wildfires burned into the record books Monday, calls for help were answered from far and near.
- Owners of property damaged by wildfires may get tax relief Updated: Aug-24-15 1:46 pm
HELENA, Montana - The state Department of Revenue is reminding owners of property or forest lands damaged by wildfire or other natural disasters that they may be eligible for property tax relief.
- Construction begins on school to replace one storm destroyed Updated: Aug-23-15 6:31 pm
WISNER, Nebraska - Construction has begun on a new school to replace the one Pilger lost in the 2014 tornado, but it won't be in that town.
- 1 year after San Francisco Bay's biggest quake in decades Updated: Aug-23-15 2:52 pm
The 6.0 magnitude quake that woke the placid wine town of Napa at 3:20 a.m. on Aug. 24, 2014 was the strongest quake to hit the San Francisco Bay area in a quarter-century. It killed one person and injured 200 as bricks and furniture - and wine bottles - toppled onto sleeping families. One year later, the signs of lingering damage are minimal - a wobbly winery building here, a shrouded, Victorian-era downtown facade awaiting repairs there.
- Berkeley Springs buildings damaged by fire to be demolished Updated: Aug-23-15 11:51 am
BERKELEY SPRINGS, West Virginia - Town officials plan to demolish two buildings in Berkeley Springs that were damaged by a fire in April.
- School damaged by tornado opens less than 2 weeks later Updated: Aug-20-15 7:14 am
GRAYSLAKE, Illinois - A Chicago-area high school has started its school year on time less than two weeks after it was damaged by an EF-1 tornado.
- Weak tornadoes touch down near Lake Geneva and Big Bend Updated: Aug-19-15 8:49 pm
LAKE GENEVA, Wisconsin - The National Weather Service says it has confirmed the touchdowns of two weak tornadoes near Lake Geneva and Big Bend.
- Brush fire spreads quickly, destroys Damascus businesses Updated: Aug-19-15 12:47 pm
DAMASCUS, Oregon - Firefighters managed to extinguish a blaze that spread quickly and engulfed a commercial building in Damascus.
- Indiana, FEMA begin assessing storm damage in 29 counties Updated: Aug-18-15 4:46 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Federal, state and local officials have begun assessing the damage from severe storms and flooding in 29 Indiana counties between June 7 and July 29.