- Yearning for North Korea - the nation they fled Updated: Apr-29-16 5:21 am
INCHEON, South Korea - For much of the world, North Korea is a Stalinist nightmare, an isolated enclave of prison camps, poverty and hunger.
- The Latest: Albania stages exercise to prepare for migrants Updated: Apr-29-16 5:21 am
BERLIN - The Latest on Europe's response to migrants (all times local):
- Obama: US can meet goal of accepting 10,000 Syrian refugees Updated: Apr-28-16 8:04 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says the U.S. can meet his goal of resettling 10,000 Syrian refugees by Sept. 30, the end of the federal budget year.
- Ministers, refugees ask House to block anti-refugee bill Updated: Apr-28-16 6:21 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Opponents of legislation that requires refugees in South Carolina to register and holds liable those who help them resettle asked a House panel Thursday to block the bill.
- Refugee baby Serbia Merkel in transit across Europe Updated: Apr-28-16 1:04 pm
KRNJACA, Serbia - She has wide brown eyes, rosy cheeks and thick black hair. Her name is Serbia Merkel al-Mustafa.
- 4 Germans on trial accused of plan to attack migrant shelter Updated: Apr-27-16 1:13 pm
BERLIN - Four people have appeared in a German court accused of "forming a terrorist organization" and planning to attack a refugee shelter.
- Vermont city rebuilding from heroin scourge to host Syrians Updated: Apr-26-16 5:56 pm
RUTLAND, Vermont - A Vermont city that has become known for its efforts to battle heroin is hoping to resettle up to 100 Syrian refugees, as a way to continue its recovery and its century-long tradition as an ethnic melting pot, officials said Tuesday.
- Olympic honor for refugees: Rio flame stops at UN camp Updated: Apr-26-16 1:08 pm
ATHENS, Greece - If they had a home, refugees would belong to the world's 24th most populous nation, just behind Italy. On Tuesday, there were honored as members of the Olympic family.
- Still swimming in exile, Syrian refugee to carry Rio flame Updated: Apr-25-16 4:23 pm
ATHENS, Greece - As a swimming-mad teenager in Syria, Ibrahim Al-Hussein was glued to his TV set for the 2004 Athens Olympics.
- The Latest: Obama meeting with European leaders Updated: Apr-25-16 8:51 am
HANNOVER, Germany - The Latest on President Barack Obama's visit to Germany (all times local):
- Turkey hails 'effective' migrant deal as EU leaders visit Updated: Apr-23-16 5:06 pm
GAZIANTEP, Turkey - Turkey's prime minister said Saturday the number of migrants crossing into Greece illegally has dropped considerably, as proof that a much criticized migration deal between Turkey and the European Union is working.
- Vietnamese refugee locates crew that rescued family at sea Updated: Apr-23-16 3:01 am
LAKELAND, Florida - The summer of 1980, Lauren Vuong survived a hurricane-like storm at sea aboard a rickety fishing boat carrying her family and dozens of other Vietnamese desperate to escape the brutality of ongoing war and harsh, communist rule.
- Boise's refugee resettlement program seen as a success Updated: Apr-22-16 5:36 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The success of Boise's refugee resettlement program has attracted international attention.
- Merkel lauds Turkey in dealing with Syria refugee crisis Updated: Apr-21-16 2:14 pm
EINDHOVEN, Netherlands - Despite increasing discord between the European Union and Turkey, German Chancellor Angela Merkel lauded Ankara's commitment to deal with the Syrian refugee crisis and said her weekend trip to the Turkish-Syrian border will be used to raise all contentious issues between the two sides.
- EU official urges US to accept more refugees from Syrian war Updated: Apr-21-16 1:51 pm
WASHINGTON - A top European Union official urged the United States on Thursday to accept more refugees fleeing the civil war in Syria, saying that asylum seekers should not be equated with violent extremists.
- French leader worried about suspension of Syria talks Updated: Apr-19-16 1:07 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - French President Francois Hollande expressed concern over the suspension of Geneva peace talks on ending Syria's civil, saying Tuesday the development was "very worrying."
- Hungary PM visits German ex-leader Kohl amid migrant crisis Updated: Apr-19-16 10:40 am
BERLIN - Hungary's prime minister, one of the strongest European critics of Germany's approach to the migrant crisis, made a politically charged visit Tuesday to former Chancellor Helmut Kohl - Angela Merkel's predecessor and one-time mentor.
- German museum exhibits racist stickers spanning 130 years Updated: Apr-19-16 9:55 am
BERLIN - Small, but poisonous and often effective: one of Germany's main history museums is exhibiting racist and anti-Semitic stickers spanning more than a century in a show that comes as the country worries about racism amid the migrant crisis.
- House passes resolution directing state to sue over refugees Updated: Apr-18-16 9:13 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A resolution that would order Tennessee to sue the federal government over its refugee resettlement program passed Monday in the state House. Senate counterparts previously approved the resolution and would only have to agree to a change that would allow a private law firm to sue on behalf of the state before the measure becomes law.
- The Latest: Plight of refugees among themes of prize winners Updated: Apr-18-16 4:59 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on the awarding of the 100th-annual Pulitzer Prizes (all times local):
- Pope brings 12 Syrian refugees to Italy in lesson for Europe Updated: Apr-16-16 5:15 pm
MORIA, Greece - In an extraordinary gesture both political and personal, Pope Francis brought 12 Syrian Muslims to Italy aboard his plane Saturday after an emotional visit to the Greek island of Lesbos, which has faced the brunt of Europe's migration crisis.
- Plucked from the uncertainty of Lesbos: 12 Syrian refugees Updated: Apr-16-16 5:11 pm
ROME - Pope Francis says his gesture is "a drop of water in the sea" of Europe's migration crisis. Yet for 12 Syrian refugees, the pope's decision to fly them back to Italy from Greece is an act of kindness that will resonate for the rest of their lives.
- The Latest: Syrians thank pope for bringing them to Italy Updated: Apr-16-16 2:55 pm
MYTILENE, Greece - The Latest on Pope Francis' visit to the Greek island of Lesbos (all times local):
- French president vows support for Lebanon during visit Updated: Apr-16-16 12:38 pm
BEIRUT - French President Francois Hollande said Saturday his country will stand by Lebanon to boost security in the tiny Arab country that is "surrounded by crisis and wars" and urged the parliament to elect a new president whose post has been vacant for nearly two years.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Apr-16-16 12:14 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers: