- Fights follow Trump rally in Southern Cal, about 20 arrested Updated: Apr-29-16 6:44 am
COSTA MESA, California - Raucous protesters and supporters of Donald Trump took to the streets in California leading to some 20 arrests as the Republican presidential contender brought his campaign to conservative Orange County after sweeping the Northeast GOP primaries.
- Kasich PAC's web ads target delegates with vision of victory Updated: Apr-29-16 6:39 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A super PAC backing Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) is taking its case for his presidential nomination directly to delegates in an unusual web ad.
- Michel Platini arrives at CAS to fight 6-year ban by FIFA Updated: Apr-29-16 5:54 am
- Polls open in key runoff parliamentary election in Iran Updated: Apr-29-16 3:39 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's parliamentary runoff elections got underway Friday, state media reported, a key vote that is expected to decide exactly how much power moderate forces backing President Hassan Rouhani will have in the next legislature.
- Some skirmishes in aftermath of Orange County Trump rally Updated: Apr-29-16 1:52 am
COSTA MESA, California - Thousands of supporters turned out Thursday as Donald Trump brought his campaign to Southern California.
- Ohio Republicans meeting for reorganization, convention Updated: Apr-29-16 12:20 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Republicans are gathering in the Columbus area for a state party organizational session and a meeting of their delegation to this summer's national convention in Cleveland.
- White powder mailed to Trump campaign office ruled harmless Updated: Apr-28-16 11:53 pm
NEW YORK - An envelope containing a suspicious white powdery substance caused a scare when it was opened at a campaign office of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, but it later was deemed to be harmless.
- Presidential primaries for 2020 approved in Colorado House Updated: Apr-28-16 11:17 pm
DENVER - A plan to revive the presidential primaries in Colorado has cleared a big hurdle in the state Legislature.
- The Latest: Powder sent to Trump office deemed harmless Updated: Apr-28-16 11:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on campaign 2016 (all times Eastern):
- Kasich, Cruz to get some delegates despite Trump landslide Updated: Apr-28-16 10:29 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island gave GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump his biggest majority of any state primary this year, but it's awarding a consolation prize that's a significant gain for Ohio Gov. John Kasich.
- Sanders, Kasich visit Oregon as presidential hopes slip Updated: Apr-28-16 10:20 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Republican John Kasich and Democrat Bernie Sanders rolled through Oregon on Thursday, hoping to keep their ailing campaigns alive with rallies the state rarely sees from presidential hopefuls ahead of its mid-spring primary.
- The Latest: Rhode Island GOP holds off finalizing delegates Updated: Apr-28-16 10:12 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Latest on Rhode Island's GOP delegate selection (all times local):
- US official visits Haiti to assess progress toward elections Updated: Apr-28-16 10:07 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - The U.S. State Department's special coordinator for Haiti arrived in the troubled Caribbean nation Thursday seeking to help resolve a political standoff that has left elections in limbo.
- California Democrats will meet to choose national delegates Updated: Apr-28-16 8:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - While much of the political attention is focused on the California GOP convention this weekend, Democrats are holding meetings around the state to select delegates to the national convention in Philadelphia.
- Senate confirms Obama's pick to be ambassador to Mexico Updated: Apr-28-16 8:35 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Thursday confirmed President Barack Obama's nominee to be U.S. ambassador to Mexico, clearing the way for the first woman to hold what is considered to be one of the country's most important diplomatic posts.
- Kasich says he's not ready to quit Updated: Apr-28-16 7:27 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - GOP presidential contender John Kasich says he's not ready to give up despite businessman Donald Trump's huge primary wins this week and the Ohio governor's vastly diminished chances.
- Trump, Cruz face early test at California GOP conclave Updated: Apr-28-16 6:23 pm
LOS ANGELES - California's Republican Party convention will be an early test for Donald Trump, Ted Cruz and John Kasich in a state whose June election could hold the decisive delegates in the fight for the party's presidential nomination.
- Early turnout for Indiana primaries highest in 2 decades Updated: Apr-28-16 4:36 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - More Indiana residents have cast their votes early for the state's primary election than any of the previous nomination contests during the same time period in at least two decades.
- Feingold refuses to say if he voted for Clinton Updated: Apr-28-16 4:30 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - U.S. Senate hopeful Russ Feingold refused to say Thursday whether he voted for Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders in Wisconsin's Democratic presidential primary earlier this month, but he suggested that Sanders should start thinking about dropping out of the race.
- Republicans to pick delegates at state convention Updated: Apr-28-16 4:01 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Republicans will pick 16 delegates this weekend to send to the national convention, delegates that could help decide the GOP presidential nominee.
- Senators try to revive criminal justice overhaul Updated: Apr-28-16 3:48 pm
WASHINGTON - A bipartisan group of senators unveiled legislation on Thursday to give judges more discretion in sentencing offenders, a renewed push to overhaul the nation's criminal justice system after objections from some conservatives and Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz.
- US economy struggles at start of election year Updated: Apr-28-16 3:36 pm
WASHINGTON - It was not a great start for the U.S. economy.
- Ex-soccer star Weah to run again for president of Liberia Updated: Apr-28-16 3:22 pm
MONROVIA, Liberia - Former world footballer of the year George Weah will make a second bid to become president of Liberia when current leader Ellen Johnson Sirleaf's final term ends next year.
- Big Bush and Rubio donors shun Cruz and Kasich, Updated: Apr-28-16 12:25 pm
WASHINGTON - It seems like a logical pairing: Republican donors who despise Donald Trump, and two GOP presidential rivals sticking it out to keep him from the nomination.
- EU in trouble as Eurosceptic parties gain in strength Updated: Apr-28-16 11:50 am
VIENNA - Even before a vehemently anti-EU party won strong support in Austria, the European Union's top official acknowledged that the 28-nation bloc was in trouble.