- US government deports fewest immigrants in nearly a decade Updated: Oct-06-15 8:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration deported fewer immigrants over the past 12 months than at any time since 2006, according to internal figures obtained by The Associated Press as Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton called Obama's deportation policies too harsh.
- Bernie Sanders campaign hires a Nevada state director Updated: Oct-06-15 7:50 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is starting to build a formal campaign team in Nevada.
- Kerry stops in Haiti to discuss election preparations Updated: Oct-06-15 7:44 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry stopped in Haiti's capital on Tuesday to discuss preparations for the country's upcoming elections and encourage people to refrain from disrupting balloting after a messy parliamentary first round in August.
- After defying quit calls, Blatter mediates between FAs Updated: Oct-06-15 6:54 pm
ZURICH - After defying pleas from FIFA sponsors to quit immediately, President Sepp Blatter is continuing regular business at soccer's governing body, presiding over a dispute between football federations on Tuesday.
- Rubio criticizes government regulation of on-demand economy Updated: Oct-06-15 6:35 pm
NEW YORK - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio vowed Tuesday to cap the number of regulations government can impose on businesses, particularly "on-demand" startups like Uber and Airbnb that he considers models for a changing national economy.
- Clinton says she'll offer plan for 'Wall Street abuses' Updated: Oct-06-15 4:46 pm
DAVENPORT, Iowa - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton says she'll offer a plan next week to deal with "Wall Street abuses."
- New York mayor, who worked for Clinton, meets with Sanders Updated: Oct-06-15 4:16 pm
NEW YORK - New York City mayor and former Hillary Clinton campaign manager Bill de Blasio (dih BLAH'-zee-oh) has met with her rival Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.
- Nevada lawmaker Jim Wheeler backs Cruz after Walker dropout Updated: Oct-06-15 12:40 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz is picking up an endorsement from a former member of Scott Walker's Nevada campaign team.
- Trump's bluster is heard around the world Updated: Oct-06-15 12:33 pm
BALMEDIE, Scotland - Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump is well-known in this serene coastal section of Scotland, where shimmering golden sand dunes meet the ice-blue North Sea and people play on his golf course. He's known in the Himalayas, too, far from any sign with his name on it. And in the Middle East, Africa and beyond.
- Clinton ad seizes on Rep. McCarthy's Benghazi comments Updated: Oct-06-15 10:14 am
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton is running a new ad that seizes on House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's admission that the Benghazi committee can take credit for her diminished public standing.
- Presidential candidate O'Malley visits Vegas labor unions Updated: Oct-06-15 7:54 am
LAS VEGAS - Democratic presidential candidate Martin O'Malley is wooing voters in Nevada before the first Democratic debate next week with a campaign stop in Las Vegas.
- House Speaker Richardson to lead Rubio's Missouri campaign Updated: Oct-06-15 5:05 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri's Republican House Speaker Todd Richardson will lead GOP presidential hopeful Marco Rubio's campaign in Missouri.
- Clinton draws early support but also ambivalence from voters Updated: Oct-06-15 3:15 am
DERRY, New Hampshire - Inside the arena, the roar was deafening when Hillary Rodham Clinton took the stage at the annual convention of the New Hampshire Democratic Party. Thousands of people jumped to their feet to welcome their party's White House front-runner with cheers and noisemakers emblazoned with her campaign logo.
- Backers of California pension overhaul alter ballot language Updated: Oct-05-15 8:18 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Backers of a proposed ballot initiative to cut pension spending for California state and local government employees said Monday that they were dropping a measure proposed in June because state Attorney General Kamala Harris found that current employees would lose constitutionally protected vested pension benefits, and they will instead pursue an alternative aimed at avoiding that pitfall.
- Cuomo: Make gun violence a central question for politicians Updated: Oct-05-15 6:19 pm
ALBANY, New York - U.S. gunfire killings have reached a crisis and voters should demand every candidate for Congress or president answer what they'd do about it, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday.
- New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan to run for US Senate Updated: Oct-05-15 5:37 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Democratic New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan announced Monday she would challenge Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte, setting the stage for a highly competitive race that will be critical in determining majority control of the Senate in the next president's first year.
- Leaders who follow: What candidates' Twitter lists reveal Updated: Oct-05-15 2:34 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Jeb Bush follows Donald Trump on Twitter but that's a one-way street: Trump mainly follows people with a connection to himself. Ted Cruz's follow list is a big tea party, though he keeps an eye on President Barack Obama, too.
- Croatia parliamentary vote to be held on Nov. 8 Updated: Oct-05-15 12:30 pm
ZAGREB, Croatia - The next parliamentary elections in Croatia will be held on Nov. 8 with the leftist government facing a strong challenge from the conservatives amid the migrant crisis and bad economy.
- Belarusian media claim gov't attack on their websites Updated: Oct-05-15 11:20 am
MINSK, Belarus - Belarusian independent media outlets on Monday accused the government of blocking their websites less than a week before presidential elections, describing it as an attack against free press.
- Clinton's Minnesota "leadership council" nets big-name help Updated: Oct-05-15 10:32 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Both of Minnesota's U.S. senators as well as Gov. Mark Dayton have signed on to a state "leadership council" for Hillary Clinton's campaign for president.
- Former Nevada Gov. Bob List endorses Marco Rubio Updated: Oct-05-15 8:17 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Former Nevada Gov. Bob List is endorsing Marco Rubio for president after the first candidate he backed dropped out of the race.
- Chaffetz made career by confronting establishment Updated: Oct-05-15 8:09 am
WASHINGTON - One-time college placekicker Jason Chaffetz wants to boot Republican House leaders off their path to promotions.
- Meet Val the bartender: Hillary Clinton does an 'SNL' skit Updated: Oct-05-15 8:06 am
WASHINGTON - Set 'em up, Hillary Rodham Clinton, and lend an ear to the troubles of a presidential candidate.
- SC's Tim Scott plays role in GOP race with candidate forums Updated: Oct-03-15 12:52 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - More than 2,000 voters, from college students to those of retirement age, packed a Columbia theater recently to see for themselves what it's like to experience businessman Donald Trump up close and personal.
- Bernie Sanders making campaign swing through Massachusetts Updated: Oct-03-15 10:22 am
BOSTON - Bernie Sanders is making a campaign swing through Massachusetts.