- North Carolina's 2016 candidates begin filing, eyes on March Updated: Dec-01-15 7:49 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina officially launched its 2016 campaign season Tuesday as candidates filed to appear on ballots in March, moving the state's traditional primaries up by two months to have more influence on the presidential nominations.
- GOP's Ben Carson taps Vegas pastor as Nevada campaign chair Updated: Dec-01-15 5:57 pm
LAS VEGAS - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson has tapped a Las Vegas pastor and author to be the Nevada campaign chairman.
- Kasich makes fundraising stops in Tennessee Updated: Dec-01-15 5:46 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Republican presidential candidate John Kasich said Tuesday that his visit to Tennessee is aimed at avoiding having to scramble for support in the state's March 1 primary if he emerges as a strong contender from the earliest contests.
- Burkina Faso celebrates newly elected president Updated: Dec-01-15 4:46 pm
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - Burkina Faso took a step toward strengthening its democracy with the election on Tuesday of Roch Marc Christian Kabore, who will become the West African country's second elected civilian president since it became independent from France in 1960.
- Pennsylvania GOP says Trump fundraiser isn't an endorsement Updated: Dec-01-15 4:07 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania's Republican Party will feature Donald Trump as the guest at a New York City fundraiser, but it is not necessarily an endorsement from the party elite.
- The Latest: Clinton says US must address 'inequalities' Updated: Dec-01-15 3:53 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Latest on Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaking in Montgomery, Alabama, to mark the 60th anniversary of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. All times local:
- Clinton commemorates boycott, says US must address injustice Updated: Dec-01-15 3:46 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Standing in the pulpit where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. led the historic Montgomery bus boycott, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton reached out to black voters Tuesday saying the U.S. is still plagued by injustices such as mass incarceration, an epidemic of gun violence and attempts to roll back voting rights.
- GOP's Portman files for re-election in Ohio US Senate race Updated: Dec-01-15 12:02 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - U.S. Sen. Rob Portman filed for re-election on Tuesday in what is already shaping up as one of the toughest fights of 2016.
- Black pastors press Trump on tone during closed-door meeting Updated: Nov-30-15 9:41 pm
NEW YORK - Dozens of black pastors pressed Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump on Monday to address what some called his use of racially charged rhetoric, with several describing a meeting that became tense at times as attendees raised concerns about his blunt language.
- From Homeland to hair: Clinton emails peek into the personal Updated: Nov-30-15 7:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest release of Hillary Clinton's private emails show her, as secretary of state, dealing with the complicated politics of the Arab Spring, fending off questions about her role in the deadly 2012 Benghazi attacks and attempting to navigate an intensifying conflict between Israel and Palestine.
- GOP leader defends House Planned Parenthood investigation Updated: Nov-30-15 7:27 pm
WASHINGTON - A Republican congressional leader on Monday defended a House investigation of Planned Parenthood's provision of fetal tissue to researchers, offering no suggestion that last week's shooting deaths at one of the group's clinics will cause the GOP to retreat from that probe.
- EPA boosts amount of ethanol in gasoline supply Updated: Nov-30-15 6:02 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is boosting the amount of corn-based ethanol and other renewable fuels in the U.S. gasoline supply despite sustained opposition by an unusual alliance of oil companies, environmentalists and some GOP presidential candidates.
- 14 Republicans to be on SC's presidential primary ballot Updated: Nov-30-15 4:18 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Republican Party says it has certified 14 candidates to be on the ballot for the party's presidential primary on Feb. 20.
- Rubio: Radical jihadists using refugee crisis as cover Updated: Nov-30-15 3:44 pm
LACONIA, New Hampshire - Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida says radical jihadists are using the refugee crisis as a cover to send terrorists to the West and that it's impossible for the United States to vet some Syrian migrants.
- Calendars reveal Clinton's availability to supporters Updated: Nov-30-15 3:29 pm
WASHINGTON - As secretary of state, Hillary Clinton opened her office to dozens of influential Democratic party fundraisers, former Clinton administration and campaign loyalists, and corporate donors to her family's global charity, according to State Department calendars obtained by The Associated Press.
- High court's election-year lineup rich in high-profile cases Updated: Nov-30-15 1:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court's lineup of new cases is fit for an election year.
- Paul files for president, re-election in Kentucky Updated: Nov-30-15 12:59 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - U.S. Sen. Rand Paul officially filed for re-election and for president in his home state Monday, a move he insists does not undermine his faltering presidential campaign.
- Florida's 2 main parties turn in names for March primary Updated: Nov-30-15 11:55 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida's two main political parties are turning in the names of the candidates that will appear on the March primary ballot.
- O'Malley, Rubio, Christie to campaign in New Hampshire Updated: Nov-30-15 4:01 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Presidential campaigning is back in full post-Thanksgiving swing in New Hampshire, with former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie heading to the state for events.
- Clinton vows hundreds of billions for infrastructure, jobs Updated: Nov-29-15 8:48 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - Hillary Rodham Clinton unveiled the first piece of a new jobs agenda on Sunday, promising hundreds of billions of dollars in fresh federal spending in an effort to compete with the liberal economic policies of her primary challengers.
- Carson after tour: Syrian refugees don't want to come to US Updated: Nov-29-15 2:08 am
AZRAQ REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - After touring Syrian refugee camps in Jordan, Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on Saturday suggested that camps should serve as a long-term solution for millions, while other refugees could be absorbed by Middle Eastern countries.
- Indiana county OKs election fund to help with election costs Updated: Nov-28-15 2:30 pm
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - Officials in southern Indiana's Monroe County have approved a new election fund that will help cover the rising costs of holding elections.
- Tech Town Hall to feature candidates in Iowa, New Hampshire Updated: Nov-28-15 9:29 am
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - While they're used to facing Iowa and New Hampshire voters separately, presidential candidates will be questioned by both groups at the same time.
- After Paris, US political shift on privacy vs. security Updated: Nov-28-15 8:42 am
WASHINGTON - The Paris attacks have renewed debate on the U.S. government's post-Sept. 11 domestic surveillance laws, leading to efforts to revive the issue on Capitol Hill and handing Marco Rubio an opening against Ted Cruz in the Republican presidential race.
- What to know about 'BernieCare,' Sanders' health overhaul Updated: Nov-28-15 8:42 am
WASHINGTON - The most ambitious "repeal and replace" health care plan from a presidential candidate comes from Sen. Bernie Sanders, not from a Republican.