- Biden cites 'serious' progress toward defeating IS in Iraq Updated: Apr-28-16 3:53 pm
BAGHDAD - Vice President Joe Biden pressed Iraq on Thursday not to let its crippling political crisis upend hard-fought gains against the Islamic State group as he returned to the country that's come to symbolize America's relentless struggles in the Middle East.
- The Latest: US says attacks on Syria's Aleppo were 'immoral' Updated: Apr-28-16 3:11 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war (all times local):
- Army Reservists from Willmar area to deploy to Kuwait Updated: Apr-27-16 3:17 pm
WILLMAR, Minnesota - U.S. Army Reserve soldiers from the Willmar area are preparing to deploy to Kuwait in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Obama boosts Islamic State fight, asks Europe to do the same Updated: Apr-25-16 7:06 pm
HANNOVER, Germany - Evoking history and appealing for solidarity, President Barack Obama on Monday cast his decision to send 250 more troops to Syria as a bid to keep up "momentum" in the campaign to dislodge Islamic State extremists. He pressed European allies to match the U.S. with new contributions of their own.
- Administration: Up to 250 military personnel headed to Syria Updated: Apr-24-16 7:11 pm
AERZEN, Germany - President Barack Obama will send an additional 250 military personnel to Syria to help local forces fighting the Islamic State group, increasing to 300 the number of U.S. forces battling extremists in the war-torn country, administration officials confirmed Sunday.
- Sending more US troops to Iraq fits a 2-year pattern Updated: Apr-19-16 2:07 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's decision to send still more American troops to Iraq, and to put military advisers closer to the front lines against the Islamic State, fits a pattern of ever-deepening involvement in a country whose war Obama exited with supposed finality in December 2011.
- US to send 200 more troops, Apache helicopters to Iraq Updated: Apr-18-16 7:40 pm
BAGHDAD - The U.S. has agreed to deploy more than 200 additional troops to Iraq and to send eight Apache helicopters for the first time into the fight against the Islamic State group in Iraq, the first major increase in U.S. forces in nearly a year, U.S. defense officials said Monday.
- US sending commandos, combat aircraft to Philippines Updated: Apr-14-16 12:18 pm
MANILA, Philippines - In a military buildup certain to inflame tensions with China, the United States said Thursday it will send troops and combat aircraft to the Philippines for regular, more frequent rotations, and will conduct more joint sea and air patrols with Philippine forces in the South China Sea.
- The Latest: Putin: Russia considers trade for Ukraine pilot Updated: Apr-14-16 9:57 am
MOSCOW - The Latest on Russian President Vladimir Putin's marathon call-in TV show (all times local):
- US to beef up military presence in Eastern Europe Updated: Mar-30-16 1:08 pm
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon plans to deploy an armored brigade combat team to Eastern Europe next February as part of the ongoing effort to rotate troops in and out of the region to reassure allies worried about threats from an increasingly aggressive Russia.
- UN calls threat from violent extremists in Mali 'alarming' Updated: Mar-29-16 5:37 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Security threats from violent extremists and criminal groups in Mali are still "alarming" and the government must deploy more troops to the volatile north and step up efforts to reform its military and police, according to a new U.N. report.