- Kenya burns huge pile of ivory tusks to protest poaching Updated: Apr-30-16 12:26 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenya's president set fire Saturday to 105 tons of elephant ivory and more than 1 ton of rhino horn, believed to be the largest stockpile ever destroyed, in a dramatic statement by this East African country against the trade in ivory and products from endangered species.
- Oil exploration threatens Georgia state marine mammal Updated: Apr-30-16 10:16 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Exploration for oil and gas deposits under the sea floor threatens the existence of an official symbol of Georgia, the North Atlantic right whale, according leading marine scientists.
- Akron Zoo taking name submissions for newborn Snow Leopards Updated: Apr-30-16 9:32 am
AKRON, Ohio - The Akron Zoo in northeast Ohio is asking people to send in potential names for three snow leopards born in March.
- 60,000-pound whale carcass removed from California beach Updated: Apr-30-16 9:31 am
SAN CLEMENTE, California - It literally was a whale of a job.
- Wee-lief! Dogs get airport bathrooms of their own Updated: Apr-30-16 9:22 am
NEW YORK - Little Simba couldn't wait to check it out.
- Christie faces decision on gender-equality legislation Updated: Apr-30-16 9:13 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - The next chapter in an ongoing disagreement between Republican Gov. Chris Christie and the Democrat-led Legislature over gender equality legislation is about to be written.
- NY issues guidelines for avoiding conflicts with coyotes Updated: Apr-30-16 8:30 am
ALBANY, New York - State environmental conservation officials are issuing guidance on how New Yorkers can avoid conflicts with coyotes as spring temperatures rise and the animals increase foraging.
- Iditarod bans musher in domestic violence case from '17 race Updated: Apr-29-16 7:12 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A musher who has been charged in a domestic violence case has been banned from next year's Iditarod, race officials announced Friday in Alaska.
- All but 1 of animals rescued from SUV in Spearfish adopted Updated: Apr-29-16 3:44 pm
SPEARFISH, South Dakota - A year after police found 36 dogs and six cats in the back of an SUV in Spearfish, all but one animal has been adopted.
- Unexpected friendship forms in Kansas City hospice Updated: Apr-29-16 2:23 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Jen Moss took to Jody Wooton from the first moments they met.
- Souris Valley Animal Shelter targets feral cats in Minot Updated: Apr-29-16 11:11 am
MINOT, North Dakota - An animal shelter in Minot is targeting feral cats.
- Dog missing 10 years found in Alabama, returning to owner Updated: Apr-29-16 10:14 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Tracy Dove assumed the worst after her 1-year-old dog named Charlie disappeared in 2006. Days without the animal turned into years, and Dove figured the brown-and-white pointer was dead.
- Officials vote Boyle County-wide 'dog' ordinance into law Updated: Apr-29-16 9:58 am
DANVILLE, Kentucky - A Boyle County-wide "dog" ordinance has been voted into law following months of discussion and several revisions.
- Bear cub killed after hit by motorcycle, driver injured Updated: Apr-29-16 8:42 am
JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP, New Jersey - A motorcyclist was injured after hitting and killing a bear cub in New Jersey.
- 5 baby bison born at Illinois grassland preserve Updated: Apr-29-16 6:49 am
WILMINGTON, Illinois - For the first time, a national grassland preserve in northeastern Illinois has added to its bison herd through newborns - and not just one or two.
- Police: Woman facing charges for abandoning animals Updated: Apr-29-16 6:43 am
SOUTH HUNTINGTON, New York - Authorities say a Long Island woman is facing animal cruelty charges after she abandoned animals in her home, including a dog that was found dead.
- Authorities: Deputies shoot, kill dog that attacked K-9 Updated: Apr-29-16 4:17 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Authorities say sheriff's deputies shot and killed a dog that attacked a police K-9 during a community event in Columbus.
- Young rescued dolphin swimming free, with frequent checkups Updated: Apr-28-16 9:46 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A young dolphin rescued in October is swimming in Barataria Bay, with a tag that will let biologists keep close tabs on him for the next six weeks.
- Sea lion that made strange, 50-mile trek to ranch found dead Updated: Apr-28-16 6:57 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Washington state biologists are trying to determine what killed a sea lion that was captured and released after it was strangely found in the driveway of a cattle ranch about 50 miles from the ocean.
- Zoo defends decision not to kill tiger that attacked keeper Updated: Apr-28-16 6:43 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida - The president of a Florida zoo defended Thursday the decision to tranquilize and not kill a rare Malayan tiger that had fatally attacked a keeper and was preventing rescuers from giving her aid.
- Grizzly bears in Grand Teton Park attract onlookers Updated: Apr-28-16 4:39 pm
JACKSON, Wyoming - Newly emerged from their winter dens, grizzly bears are wandering out in the open in Grand Teton National Park, drawing crowds of wildlife watchers, photographers and others seeking a glimpse - from a safe distance.
- Survey suggests slight drop in Michigan wolf population Updated: Apr-28-16 2:58 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The gray wolf population in Michigan's Upper Peninsula appears to have declined slightly in recent years, but state biologists say it's stable and healthy.
- Review: In Key & Peele's 'Keanu,' the true gangster has paws Updated: Apr-28-16 2:13 pm
If you dropped a cute kitten into Michael Mann's "Heat," would Robert De Niro have gone all soft and goo-goo eyed? Might Wesley Snipes' drug empire in "New Jack City" been brought to its knees by a cuddly face with whiskers? Could Al Pacino's rage in "Scarface" have been melted away by a feline "little friend"?
- Grizzly bear monitoring project continues in Glacier park Updated: Apr-28-16 12:10 pm
WEST GLACIER, Montana - A long-term program to monitor grizzly bears in the Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem continues this summer in Glacier National Park.
- Animals rescued in Spearfish doing well a year later Updated: Apr-28-16 11:47 am
SPEARFISH, South Dakota - The story could have ended very differently if someone hadn't called for a welfare check in the Wal-Mart parking lot on April 25, 2015.