- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo Updated: Feb-10-16 7:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Sacramento Zoo officials say a Sumatran female tiger was killed by her mating partner after the two felines were put in the same enclosure for breeding.
- Colorado mountain bike dog attack suit settled for $1M Updated: Feb-10-16 5:14 pm
EAGLE, Colorado - Lawyers for a woman attacked by two sheep dogs during a Colorado mountain bike race say they've settled a lawsuit against the dogs' owners for $1 million.
- Bill to bar Wyoming wardens from wolf, grizzly cases fails Updated: Feb-10-16 4:42 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A Wyoming legislative committee has defeated a bill to bar state game managers from investigating or prosecuting people for killing wolves and grizzly bears as long as the animals remain federally protected.
- Pet-leasing company under investigation for euthanizing dogs Updated: Feb-10-16 1:38 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - An Oregon company that leases pets to people is under investigation by the state Department of Justice after complaints that the company unnecessarily euthanized dogs.
- Charges dropped against woman who nursed baby squirrels Updated: Feb-10-16 1:23 pm
HOWELL, New Jersey - Charges against a New Jersey woman who nursed two abandoned baby squirrels back to health have been dropped on a technicality.
- House panel approves longshot bill for horse industry Updated: Feb-10-16 12:56 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - A legislative committee on Wednesday bet on a longshot bill to provide tax relief for Kentucky's horse industry, choosing it over a more modest option with a smaller price tag amid lean budgetary times.
- Unlicensed dog owners to be charged after fatal mauling Updated: Feb-10-16 12:37 pm
PORT HURON, Michigan - Prosecutors are charging two Port Huron dog owners with having unlicensed dogs in connection with the fatal mauling of a 22-year-old woman.
- Wolf attacks, kills dog in Duluth Updated: Feb-10-16 11:51 am
DULUTH, Minnesota - A state conservation officer says the wolf attack that killed a dog on a popular trail in Duluth is becoming more common.
- Elephant rampages in east Indian town, smashing homes Updated: Feb-10-16 11:39 am
KOLKATA, India - A wild elephant rampaged through an east Indian town on Wednesday, smashing cars and homes and sending panicked people running before the animal was tranquilized to be returned to the forest.
- Orange collar project aims to get lost cats home Updated: Feb-10-16 10:53 am
LOS ANGELES - Cartoonist Matthew Inman would like to see every housecat wearing an orange collar with its name and number on it. Then if the cat gets loose or lost, by escape or mistake, the collar will signal, "Help me!"
- Image of Asia: Elephant's wild visit to Indian town stopped Updated: Feb-10-16 9:13 am
In this photo, a wild elephant that strayed into an east Indian town stands after authorities shot it with a tranquilizer gun. The elephant had wandered from the Baikunthapur forest on Wednesday, crossing roads and a small river before entering Siliguri in West Bengal state. The panicked elephant ran amok for several hours, trampling parked cars and motorbikes before it was clear the animal was unable to get back to the forest. It appeared to be afraid of people and did not attack anyone. Crowds of people watched the frightened elephant's rampage. It was shot three times with a tranquilizer gun and removed by crane and truck once it calmed down.
- Developer detained, dog rescued in Taiwan apartment collapse Updated: Feb-10-16 7:45 am
TAINAN, Taiwan - Three Taiwanese construction company executives were detained on charges of professional negligence resulting in death following the collapse of an apartment building that killed dozens, prosecutors said Wednesday.
- Police: death of Ohio newborn bitten by dog ruled accidental Updated: Feb-10-16 7:02 am
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - Authorities say the mother of a 3-day-old Ohio boy who died after he was bitten by a dog won't face any charges after a coroner ruled the death accidental.
- 5-month-old puppy tossed from car on Long Island Updated: Feb-10-16 6:45 am
MASSAPEQUA, New York - Authorities are looking for the individual who tossed a 5-month-old puppy out of a moving car on Long Island.
- Maine top court considers state's role in defeated bear vote Updated: Feb-10-16 4:31 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Maine's highest court is scheduled to hear arguments in a lawsuit between a hunting reform group and the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife about a defeated proposal to change to the state's bear hunt.
- Trial date set for owners of Gilbert kennel in 21 dog deaths Updated: Feb-09-16 4:48 pm
PHOENIX - A May 3 trial date has been set for the owners of a Gilbert kennel where 21 dogs died of heat exhaustion in June 2014.
- 3 dogs, 2 cats killed in house fire Updated: Feb-09-16 4:43 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Officials say three dogs and two cats were killed in a Florida Panhandle house fire.
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs pushing back wolf hunt date Updated: Feb-09-16 3:52 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state Assembly has approved a bill that would push the start of Wisconsin's wolf hunt back if the federal government allows the season to resume.
- Wildlife officials to kill wolves in remote Idaho region Updated: Feb-09-16 2:50 pm
LEWISTON, Idaho - Federal wildlife services and Idaho Department of Fish and Game officials have joined forces to kill wolves in the Clearwater Region for the third year in a row.
- Officials: Massachusetts man imported dogs into Rhode Island Updated: Feb-09-16 2:23 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Massachusetts man has been arrested for illegally importing dogs into Rhode Island.
- House lawmakers support removing wolf from endangered list Updated: Feb-09-16 1:37 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Oregon lawmakers have come a step closer to upholding the state's controversial decision late last year to remove the gray wolf from its endangered species list.
- Utah Red Cross to honor veterans home therapy kangaroo Updated: Feb-09-16 12:37 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The Utah Red Cross plans to honor a year-old red kangaroo that works as a therapy animal at a Salt Lake City veterans home.
- Putin's ex-bodyguard turned governor recalls facing bear Updated: Feb-09-16 12:28 pm
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin's former bodyguard, who recently has been appointed regional governor, said he once confronted a bear outside of Putin's residence.
- Police: Girl attacked by 2 pit bulls in Florida Panhandle Updated: Feb-09-16 9:53 am
NICEVILLE, Florida - A 3-year-old girl is recovering at a Pensacola hospital after two pit bulls attacked her while she was walking with her older sister and a friend.
- Utah man injured in backyard mule deer attack Updated: Feb-09-16 9:23 am
DRAPER, Utah - Officials say a mule deer attacked a Utah man in his backyard, injuring the man and his dog.